U.S. Ladies [#17]: Heading to Helsinki in a Handbasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

feraina

Frank Carroll, to work with Tessa Hong, again? Hmmm, not a surprise, and this could make things very interesting, indeed.

I do believe the fight for the 1, 2, or 3 Olympic spots will be much more intense and competitive than people realize. No one is a sure thing.
Where did you see that?

mag

I guess they figure with Gracie gone from the Toyota Center Tessa will get the top spot. Always interesting how rinks ebb and flow in their competiveness.

Frida80

I guess they figure with Gracie gone from the Toyota Center Tessa will get the top spot. Always interesting how rinks ebb and flow in their competiveness.

Tessa needs to get past her illness and fix her under rotations and down grades first. She's talented, but her osgood schlatter has really harmed her progress.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Frank is perennially youthful, eh? :)

Whatever Frank can pass onto Tessa Hong in a renewed relationship (and to others such as Jason) from his vast store of knowledge gained throughout his life and passed down to him from his coaches including the amazing Maribel Vinson Owen, should always be viewed with respect.

Cleo1782

Wait. Wasn't FC to retire very soon??

Yes, after 2018, but Mr. Nicks retires and still has a hand in Todd's students like Hicks and Warren. He just doesn't travel and go to the rink everyday. Frank doesn't have a Ken Congemi anymore, but I am sure he could line someone up to "take over" and just be background in all of this. He has plenty of ex students that skate. Palm Springs is just kind of isolated for us So Cal people. It's very far from LA. The closest real rink is Riverside. To put it in perspective it's about an 1 1/2 from Lake Arrowhead ( and Arrowhead is isolated, but more manageable to get to LA by far) to the East so it would be 2-3 hours away from Arcadia, or Torrance, Artesia at least on a good day without traffic.

And traffic is no joke. I work 20 min from my work in the LA area and it usually takes an 1 and 30 with traffic.

Spun Silver

Tessa needs to get past her illness and fix her under rotations and down grades first. She's talented, but her osgood schlatter has really harmed her progress.
Doesnt Vincent Zhou have that too? He should give her hope. But I am sorry to hear this. I had no idea. Best wishes to Tessa.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Frank Carroll, to work with Tessa Hong, again? Hmmm, not a surprise, and this could make things very interesting, indeed.

I do believe the fight for the 1, 2, or 3 Olympic spots will be much more intense and competitive than people realize. No one is a sure thing.

Urgh. I hope Tessa is prepared for the Michelle Kwan makeover from Frank and paint by numbers choreography from Lori.
I'm still recovering from how they wasted away Gracie Gold's talent for three years.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Urgh. I hope Tessa is prepared for the Michelle Kwan makeover from Frank and paint by numbers choreography from Lori.
I'm still recovering from how they wasted away Gracie Gold's talent for three years.

I wonder how soon she will be "Fratianne'd..."

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
To be fair at least Tessa's skating fits that mold and would probably enhance her current level of skating, Gracie was never that type of skater to begin with. I'd say let's at least see how she looks by the GP season (I have a feeling she could get Skate America) before we're all doom and gloom.

Frida80

To be fair at least Tessa's skating fits that mold and would probably enhance her current level of skating, Gracie was never that type of skater to begin with. I'd say let's at least see how she looks by the GP season (I have a feeling she could get Skate America) before we're all doom and gloom.

She's still fourteen. She'll probably do another year on the JGP first. There are a lot of SA candidates already. Caroline, Angela, Tyler, Polina, Gracie etc.

Sylvia

TBD
Tessa Hong will be 15 in April. Yes, she could return to the JGP ... unless she requests a Challenger assignment instead. Re. Skate America: I think @DimaToe was referring to Gracie.

Frida80

Tessa Hong will be 15 in April. Yes, she could return to the JGP ... unless she requests a Challenger assignment instead. Re. Skate America: I think @DimaToe was referring to Gracie.

Ah my mistake.

Gracie can definitely get SA. I hope she does some summer comps to show that she's back in form. Challengers will be good practice too.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I was actually talking about Tessa :shuffle: Is Tessa not old enough for the GP next season? I seriously don't see Frank and her team wanting to be on the JGP during an Olympic year if they can help it. It isn't Tessa's fault that skaters like Angela and Gracie didn't do enough to secure 2 GP and that Polina and Tyler were MIA the whole season so idk why that'd be an excuse to keep her out of the conversation. The main reason I see this as a possibility is because of Frank's influence.

Sylvia

TBD
I was actually talking about Tessa :shuffle: Is Tessa not old enough for the GP next season?
My mistake then. Yes, Hong will be old enough (15). Looks like it could be quite competitive for the Skate America ladies' host (#3) spot and summer competition performances & monitoring likely will be important.

ETA: Also, Skate America will be the 6th & final GP instead of the first one next season.

Jammers

I thought Frank was done coaching after the 2018 Olympics? Taking on a 14 year old doesn't seem like he's done anytime soon. :confused:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I agree she fits the mold better than Gracie. I will wait and see on that one.

And that's the scary part. I'm beginning to think that Frank Carroll is the U.S. version of Frau Mueller.

Gabi Seyfert, Annette Poetzsch, Katarina Witt, Simone Lang, and Evelynn Grossmann, were basically the same skater under her tutelage. Where is the originality?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
OMG! Just watched Tessa. She is lovely. Her arms and hands are beyond beautiful. And, she has such a presence on the ice - something that you either have or you don't have. She is going to be glorious.

Cleo1782

And that's the scary part. I'm beginning to think that Frank Carroll is the U.S. version of Frau Mueller.

Gabi Seyfert, Annette Poetzsch, Katarina Witt, Simone Lang, and Evelynn Grossmann, were basically the same skater under her tutelage. Where is the originality?

I don't think all Franks skaters are the same. I think she fits a mold of a skater that Frank appreciates. I don't think all Frank's skaters are cookie cutter at all. Gracie and Frank may not have been the best fit, but who is to say Tessa isn't?

Cleo1782

Or D10 from Timmy lol! I just don't agree Frank makes all his skaters under the exact same mold. Even Carly and Gracie and Michelle and Kwan skated to different types of music blah.........Let's give Tessa and Frank a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information