U.S. Ladies [#17]: Heading to Helsinki in a Handbasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylersf

A lot of us do not like her free program. We should each pick out her music and choreograph an LP for her. While we're at it, let's pick out or make a costume for her too.
Since my coach retired and works in her husband's office now (probably after having me as a student), I feel I should disqualify myself as choreographer and costumer.

Why Mirai? That LP is the worst.

all_empty

I loved her 2012-2013 skate to Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3.

Actually, both the cut of the music and the choreography for the first 2/3rds were meh, but the ending!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyf_OzC_maw

My favorite program of hers.

Everything worked for her: the layout, the jumps, the regal posture, the layback.

And there's nothing more Olympic sounding than trumpets.

A vehicle like this would work for her so she could focus on hitting those jumps and really let go during a choreo or step sequence, instead of trying to emote to lyrics.

Sylvia

TBD
I found a translation of Mirai Nagasu's 4CC interview in Japanese (link: http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/2016_2017/nagasu.html ) via Twitter here: http://suzumoriyuiko.tumblr.com/post/157990873813/translation-mirai-nagasu-a-season-of-self
Excerpts:

Why do you think you were able to skate your personal best this competition?
I think it’s because I knew this was my last competition this season. I wasn’t able to leave an impression this season at Nationals, and I was starting to lose myself. At this competition, I had of course some anxiety, but I didn’t have the pressure that the other skaters had. With that in mind, I was able to skate freely throughout the competition. Since most of the season was done for me, I thought this could be a “start” for the next season and I chose to do my first step here.
When you won the 2008 Nationals, you were only 14. When you look back, what were you thinking about back then?
I really liked figure skating back then too, but I didn’t understand its other negative aspects, like the long road and the pressure. Then, all of a sudden when I won Nationals, all those things started becoming important. The following 2 years, I wasn’t able to control those things and I couldn’t skate the way I wanted too. I was buried in pressure. Last few seasons, I’m starting to improve myself. My programs are harder and more challenging, and it’s definitely fulfilling. I’m also satisfied on FS score of 132 points. I want to keep improving my programs, and next season, if I can, I also want to try out a triple axel.

Last edited:

leigh466

My unpopular opinion... the program just brought the highest FS score of her career. The judges (and Mirai) seem to be OK with it. If she starts from scratch, she'll have a long season of working and reworking a new program, which may or may not be any better. By keeping it, she can focus her time (and money) on nuance, more details, and perhaps adding in a 3A.

That's exactly what I was thinking (focus on choreo/performance and adding in 3A), but I did love that LP from 2012 to Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3, as Coco reminded us. She really seemed to be performing that piece!

kwanatic

I do think it would be good for her to settle into a program...but I do not like her FS as is. They would need to overhaul it similar to what Ashley did with her Moulin Rogue program, where the layout is the same but the choreo and transitions are increased for version 2.0. I was impressed with Mirai's technical performance at 4CC but aside from the final 2A and spiral, the rest of the program was flat both choreographically and performance-wise.

I think the music is lovely but I just don't think that's the kind of program Mirai needs for an Olympic season. When I think of an Olympic program for Mirai I think of something big with energy that will leave a lasting impression. I just went back and watched symphony no. 3 program...that was probably her best FS post 2010. It had a nice rise-fall-rise to it and it ends in a really grand way that you know would blow the roof of the building if she nailed it at nationals. I'd love to see her bring that one back.

If she insists on keeping her WTIA FS, I hope she does the opposite for her SP. I like her SP this season but, in an Olympic year I'd love to see her do something fun and energetic, like her 2012 SP or her 2016 FS. When she turns it on she can really get the crowd going and that would help to boost her scores.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Anyone know if any skater has actually kept both programs from the last season for the Olympic season? I just can't see it ending well. If Mirai wants to keep the long and actually be a contender, the PCS would have to go up by 10 points at least. Even her clean skate at the end of the season got her 62 in the second mark. Like I previously said, the program does not build at all. The music David composed to increase the length of the music is fine but Mirai would have to be skating lights out with Yuka Sato/Kostner edges to make it work. The "big finish" of the music (with the spiral) is way too short and then again dies out again for the layback (which sounds like the ending credits of a tv show, you know the part where people are tuning out?).

I can't tell if the person asking everyone to choreograph a program is being sarcastic or not, but this music does not follow the basic rules of any of the successful programs I know. It is just way too simple and quiet except for a short wail at the end.

Firedancer

In addition to the music being blah and not really going anywhere, it just seems like a reminder of her struggles. That doesn't seem like the best impression to leave with her Olympic year free skate. I would like to see something she appears to enjoy skating to, with a lot more energy, that builds to the end and will get the crowd behind her. Something that will make a much stronger statement.

Xela M

Anyone know if any skater has actually kept both programs from the last season for the Olympic season? I just can't see it ending well. If Mirai wants to keep the long and actually be a contender, the PCS would have to go up by 10 points at least. Even her clean skate at the end of the season got her 62 in the second mark. Like I previously said, the program does not build at all. The music David composed to increase the length of the music is fine but Mirai would have to be skating lights out with Yuka Sato/Kostner edges to make it work. The "big finish" of the music (with the spiral) is way too short and then again dies out again for the layback (which sounds like the ending credits of a tv show, you know the part where people are tuning out?).

I can't tell if the person asking everyone to choreograph a program is being sarcastic or not, but this music does not follow the basic rules of any of the successful programs I know. It is just way too simple and quiet except for a short wail at the end.

Didn't Mishkutenok and Dmitriev win Olympic Gold in 1992 with 2 programs from the previous season (I could be wrong)? Those were incredible programs though. Liebestraum is probably the most beautiful program of all time.

kwanatic

Exactly. Due to the fact that Mirai won't be coming into the season with established 1st or 2nd tier PCS, she's going to have to work her way up to the PCS level she needs to be able to challenge for a spot on the Olympic team. That's going to take clean and consistent skating as well as really great performances. I don't see her working her way up the PCS ladder with that program. It's too quiet and one-note except for that momentary swell at the very end.

Mirai does not perform at the emotional level required for that program to have the kind of gut-wrenching/grab the box of tissues effect it's aiming for. It's a sad, slow, melancholy song that would probably be really gorgeous as an exhibition...but when the name of the game is "make the judges remember you" I don't think boring/depressing them is the way to go about doing it.

What she really needs is a warhorse that's going to do half of the work for her (Malaguena, Danse Macabre, etc.) and some simple but effective choreography. Then it's just up to her to bring the performance and sell it. Mirai doesn't sell it. I honestly think if she'd taken the Elena Radionova approach to performing (i.e. no matter how bad it is she's going to sell it like the rent is due) Mirai would be further along in the PCS standings. Even when she makes mistakes, if she'd throw her all into the performance part of it rather than checking out/just going through the motions she'd likely score better.

VGThuy

Actually, both the cut of the music and the choreography for the first 2/3rds were meh, but the ending!

I haven't seen a program where Mirai skated with that much polish and finesse throughout the entire program since then. I had forgotten how spectacular her spins used to be as well. She's one of the better spinners from the Americans, but they can look really laborious, slow, and have sloppy exits these days.

millyskate

I think it's ok to keep programs when they haven't been skated to potential, which is where she's coming from. It's never a good idea to keep a program you've skated lights out. Everything performance just seems disappointing after that, including from the judges' perspective.

Dobre

Mirai didn't miss the World team this season due to her PCS. She missed it due to her nerves & technical errors in the free skate at Nationals. She was ready for the competition. She looked strong in practices & the warm-ups, and it isn't surprising that she brought that strength with her to 4CCs.

I am not a fan of the way Tom dumps the choreography in his athletes' programs; but I do believe he is good for Mirai. The fact is that she cannot win or even place without receiving credit for her rotations. And after so much hopscotching around the coaching World, she needed a stable, consistent environment with support and someone who could help her focus on technique and climb back into the competitive picture. She has done that.

Little Mirai, the one we all loved for her huge smile and confidence, is now a different athlete. Her spins and flexibility are still gorgeous. Her jumps are sometimes better than ever. But she is now an athlete that knows what she has to lose & how many ways that may happen. One who seems to believe that if she relaxes or lets herself live in the moment & enjoy a performance then she will run into the boards and crash down to the bottom of the national rankings.

This free skate--the one she performed at 4CCs--was the highest score she received with it all season. It was also a much emptier program than it was in the fall. What I would love to see would be for Mirai to build from here. To go back to David or another choreographer and put that choreography back into the program, now that she knows she can perform those jumps in competition.

It still won't change the fact that she may wind up going last up in the FS at Nationals. That everything will be on the line. That the U.S. may not have three spots next season or Gracie & Ashley or Polina may be stronger. But if keeping & growing the program gives Mirai the confidence she needs to be at her best next season, then I am all for it.

Marco

She has skated most of her senior free skates somewhat cleanly at least once: 2009 Nationals (some URs), 2010 Olympics, 2011 4CCs, 2014 Nationals, 2016 4CCs, 2017 4CCs. So perhaps she could revisit her long programs from 2012, 2013 or 2015? I can't deal with that song or that non-program for another season - she needs to do something uplifting and inspiring.

Areski

I'm fine with Mirai keeping the SP, but agree she should really get a new LP. Her LP just hasn't really worked all year. The music is too risky/loaded of a choice, and by Nationals there wasn't much choreography left in the program. At Nationals and 4CCs, I just kept wishing she was still doing her Great Gatsby LP instead of this year's LP.

I agree with you. LP lacks potential and that music is nauseating.

mtnskater

Is there any more information as to why Amber Glenn withdrew from junior worlds? She has such amazing talent but can't seem to get it together. I think we needed her there for the chance at three spots. Too bad.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Is there any more information as to why Amber Glenn withdrew from junior worlds? She has such amazing talent but can't seem to get it together. I think we needed her there for the chance at three spots. Too bad.

On the contrary,I think our chances for 3 spots increases with Starr being named to the team.

-BB

smarts1

The biggest problem I have with Mirai's LP this year is that it's such an emotional piece of music, and she just doesn't do the song justice at all. She does not perform it nor does she emote much to match the music. If she's going to keep it, she's going to have to work heavily on bringing out the emotion when she performs.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Indeed, the need to break through on the performance level has been an ongoing issue for Mirai. I think her fun fp last season was a good step in the right direction. But this year, maybe the push to improve technically didn't help her ability to build on last season and demonstrate growth artistically?

Here's Mirai's breakthrough 2008 U.S. Nationals fp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3CIoTn4y6U
Her face was the same unemotional mask for the most part, that we've come to know and criticize. But I guess back then (especially at her young age), it worked for Coppelia. Plus, everyone was gobsmacked by her talent and potential, and couldn't see past that to the flaws that needed attention, apparently. Scott Hamilton did mention how she was 'all business' until her ending pose when a smile finally broke out.

Ah, that's wonderful, thanks for sharing. Mirai was demonstrating a great deal of ease, flow and confidence in this program. From watching the replay and listening to Eurosport guys, it appears she had one minor edge call and perhaps a slight under-rotation on another jump, but she's very delightful and more assured than she became even a year later. I don't recall how Mirai fared overall in 2012-13. Mirai does seem to be up generally when she performs at NHK, and the audiences there always receive her so well. Apparently, there were a number of great performances by ladies at that event (Suzuki and Mao were specifically mentioned in this clip).

The choreo for her 2012-13 free program was by Susan Austin. It really suited Mirai so well. But unfortunately, I believe this was a season or so after she'd parted ways with Frank, and apparently Mirai was sorta no longer in USFS' good graces. This at a time when with the right nurturing, understanding and patience, she surely could have overcome some of her personal and career struggles and donned the wings to soar. Instead, it appears she began to lose more and more confidence in herself, and she began to experience increasing problems with under-rotation calls. And then another subsequent coaching split to where she was coach-less by the time of 2014 U.S. Nationals.

When I look back at this gorgeous 2012-13 free program and performance it becomes even clearer what Scott Hamilton was saying in his recent broadcast: Nurture great talent. It causes me to wonder whether Mirai might have fared better as a Japanese skater (had she been born and raised in Japan). I don't mean that she should have considered switching country affiliations. I think she's American through and through. It's just the idea that with her brilliant talent, might she have been nurtured and guided in a more beneficial way in Japan, with the right coaching and choreo? Honestly, she has the talent and brilliance to be at least a 3-time World champion by now.

I do think that even with this wonderful 2012-13 program at NHK, Mirai still needed help with breaking through fully on the performance level, but at least she seemed to have better flow and confidence. Currently, Mirai seems to have rebuilt herself to the point where her confidence is increasing, but it's not fully there yet, and her performance level definitely still needs help. She's older which can be a good thing mentally, but obviously that factor can be more challenging physically.

I do wish the best for Mirai going forward. She needs to match up with someone who can connect and help click something together for her mentally, emotionally, magically. It doesn't have to be a coach, as I think she's in good hands technically with Tom Z. But just someone who gets her personality and can help her connect with her expressive side and bring it out fully on the ice. I don't know who that someone would be, but there's always hope. :drama: Such talent! Throw caution to the winds Mirai! Believe in yourself! Be yourself! Please SkateGods, help Mirai connect with her own personal Angel! :saint: And I think it should maybe be someone other than David Wilson on this Olympics go-round. I saw potential in Mirai's fp at the beginning of this season, but ITA with @clairecloutier that this fp never truly worked out. Should Mirai keep the Jeff Buttle sp and get a new fp by Jeff, or maybe Shae Lynn? Or someone good but lesser known such as Katherine Hill? (Hill has choreographed for Jordan Moeller, et al, and she's competed in Young Artists Showcase).

Last edited:

Areski

The biggest problem I have with Mirai's LP this year is that it's such an emotional piece of music, and she just doesn't do the song justice at all. She does not perform it nor does she emote much to match the music. If she's going to keep it, she's going to have to work heavily on bringing out the emotion when she performs.

The problem is that this is one cheesy cover of this song. I like Mirai without the lyrics best anyway.

Sylvia

TBD
Re. Junior Worlds: I think that -- even before Glenn withdrew -- on paper the U.S. ladies are not expected to gain back the 3rd spot this year or place among the top 3 countries (RUS & JPN, most likely KOR with senior national champion Eunsoo Lim now that Tursynbaeva has WD to focus on Helsinki Worlds).

Bradie Tennell was 4th after the SP at Jr. Worlds last year but had a rough FS and finished 11th overall. She did win a bronze at her first senior international and Challenger Series event, Tallinn Trophy, this past November, landing 3Lz+3T, 3F and 2A+3T cleanly in the FS. I think both she and Starr Andrews are capable of solid top 10 finishes if they skate well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information