U.S. Ladies [#17]: Heading to Helsinki in a Handbasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

I think even having that last 2a called as a rotated 2a with a fall would have been enough for 3 spots, which would have had Mirai at the 2011 Worlds even with her actual 2011 Nationals skate.

I believe she would have had to place 8th to secure 3 spots for 2012...

The problem with this thinking, is that if you are going to give Mirai credit for an under rotated jump, you have to apply that same lenient calling to everyone which could change the whole result.

leigh466

Mirai has been extremely fortunate over the last several seasons as she has a sponsor that pays almost all of her expenses, from skating as well as living expenses (apartment, transportation, general living expenses).

Wow! Very pleased to hear this. It would be so wonderful if she could finally break through. I loved her short program this year. I thought it suited her perfectly. She is not a heart on her sleeve, transmit it to the audience type of performer (at least not as of yet), thus The Winner Takes It All never struck its chord for me (or for many others whose opinions I have seen expressed). I was always left wanting more, more, more. I think her growth in this area was stunted as she struggled to simply skate clean programs with no URs. Maybe with more subtle programs... Anyway, I do love Mirai's skating and she did really put a great performance down in that final LP of the year, and I do always root for her and wish her the best. (P.S. I DO wish she was going to World's and DO think it would give the US a better shot at 3 spots, despite the fact that I would worry about her handling that pressure.)

Sylvia

TBD
USFS press release today:
(3/3/2017) – U.S. Figure Skating announced today that 2017 U.S. junior silver-medalist Starr Andrews will compete at the 2017 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, March 15-19 in Taipei City, Chinese Taipei.
As the first alternate, Andrews, of Los Angeles, replaces Amber Glenn, who withdrew for personal reasons. Andrews, 15, is the 2016 Novice and Junior U.S. Challenge Skate gold medalist.
ETA: Andrews also is the 2016 Golden Bear (Zagreb, Croatia) Junior Ladies gold medalist in her Team USA debut last October.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
For those who are interested to watch Starr Andrews' recent interview in NYC (she is third after Rohene Ward and her coach, Derrick Delmore):
ITNY honors Black History Month
02/23/17 | 00:06:49
Rohene Ward, Derrick Delmore, Starr Andrews and the Ice Theatre of New York pay tribute to Black History Month with a performance at The Rink at Rockefeller Center (their interviews with Nick McCarvel are in this video): http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1225266883

Sylvia

TBD
Replying to @TanithandBenFan here:
She [Amber Glenn] was just at the Jr Worlds Camp three days ago :(

https://www.instagram.com/p/BREvsPahkRl/

So was Starr, so I guess they invited the alternates?
Yes, USFS held their first Junior Worlds camp in Chicago earlier this week with all the singles skaters and alternates (including Tessa Hong who originally was listed as 3rd alternate) - here's an on ice photo of the group that was re-tweeted by Kevin Shum: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5y3MZAWMAALGyV.jpg
The 6 ladies are (left to right): Tessa Hong, Ashley Lin (2nd, now 1st alternate), Starr Andrews (now going), Megan Wessenberg (3rd, now 2nd alternate), Bradie Tennell (going), Amber Glenn (now WD).

I hope Amber will be okay (it's always upsetting to have to withdraw from a major competition :(, no matter what the reason).

Last edited:

Cleo1782

Personal reasons? Hmmm
Maybe Nathan broke up with her lol. Seriously though it's sad when someone has to withdraw. Didn't she stop skating for awhile not sure if she wanted to continue? I hope everything is okay. She really could be great if she got her nerves together.

Vagabond

Even if no skater had ever skated to Techno Carmen before, the first skater to do so would be skating to a warhorse. :gallopin1 :COP:

Sylvia

TBD
Interview with Angela Wang who recently won the Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf, Germany:
https://medium.com/@JacksonUltima/jacksonfamily-interviews-ft-angela-wang-76f4e2767c6f
Coming back from my foot/ankle injury has definitely been the biggest obstacle for me this season. I was so excited to have been assigned to Nebelhorn and Skate America and absolutely devastated when I had to withdraw. That time period was difficult both mentally and physically but luckily, I had an amazing support system who helped me get back on my feet (literally) and better than where I was before the injury.

Angela and Mirai are both students at the University of Colorado-CO Springs and they talk about balancing their studies with skating in Sarah Brannen's latest blog for IN: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/03/03/217803142
Excerpts:
... [Nagasu] said she will cut back on [her number of college credits] the first part of the 2017-18 season while continuing her studies.
At present, the reigning U.S. pewter medalist is taking accounting, statistics and a course in management and marketing.
"If I'm not at the rink, I'm probably home studying," Nagasu said. "I panic when I'm not prepared. I'm a really intense studier."
Wang is majoring in exercise science.
"I want to be a physical therapist," said Wang, who carried 14 credits last fall. "I spend all my time with them anyway! I see the impact that it's made. I think the human body is amazing.
"It was a lot," she continued. "I think the first two weeks were the hardest, adjusting. I went from taking just one class to a full load. I adjusted my schedule after the first couple of weeks to make sure I was getting rest and recovery. I had a month off from school before nationals, which was nice, to just concentrate on training and rest."

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
This is a cute 'hooping on ice' routine by Chloe Lewis (from 2011). The hoop is a nice accessory to play around with, especially for an exhibition. Although this was a local competitive program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4qjj6e0mI

BTW, congrats to Angela Wang on her victory at Bavarian Open. It's great to read about Angela, Jordan Moeller, Alex Johnson, Mirai, et al balancing academic studies with high level competitive figure skating (training and competition)! Wow, kudos to them all!

Interview with Angela Wang who recently won the Bavarian Open in Oberstdorf, Germany:
https://medium.com/@JacksonUltima/jacksonfamily-interviews-ft-angela-wang-76f4e2767c6f

I love the close-up photo of Angela with AdaRipp at the tail end of the print interview. :)

Last edited:

Frida80

@Spun Silver, if you read the article, you'll see that Nagasu plans to cut back on the number of her college credits next season, not her skating. I have since edited the quoted article excerpt above for clarity.

It makes sense. It's an Olympic year. Everyone one will cut back or take a year off to focus on being their best.

Spun Silver

@Spun Silver, if you read the article, you'll see that Nagasu plans to cut back on the number of her college credits next season, not her skating. I have since edited the quoted article excerpt above for clarity.
Thank you. That was completely unclear (to me). Much relief!

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you to @rosewood for posting this link in Mirai's fan thread:
Here is a very informative long interview in Japanese. Good luck with google translator. :D (Hopefully I'll post a brief summary when I have time.)
http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/2016_2017/nagasu.html
Here's the link to the Google translation (Jeff Buttle comes out as "Battle"). It's unclear from the machine translation if Nagasu is thinking about keeping one or both of this season's programs?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Thank you to @rosewood for posting this link in Mirai's fan thread:

Here's the link to the Google translation (Jeff Buttle comes out as "Battle"). It's unclear from the machine translation if Nagasu is thinking about keeping one or both of this season's programs?
OK I translate that part. This interview was done at 4CC.

Q: How about next season's programs?
Mirai: Probably I'll continue this season's programs. Although I could not skate them at Worlds, I feel I got really strong two programs. They were a bit difficult ones for me and I could not fully demonstrate all the charm of the programs this season. My feeling is I don't want to ditch the programs without reaching the full potential of them. The long program here [=4CC] was fine. But I feel I could do more. When I have such a feeling, I don't want to ditch them. Of course, I'll talk with my coach when I make the final decision, but at this point I'm enjoying skating these programs, and I'm wishing to continue them.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!

Mirai: Probably I'll continue this season's programs. Although I could not skate them at Worlds, I feel I got really strong two programs. They were a bit difficult ones for me and I could not fully demonstrate all the charm of the programs this season. My feeling is I don't want to ditch the programs without reaching the full potential of them. The long program here [=4CC] was fine. But I feel I could do more. When I have such a feeling, I don't want to ditch them. Of course, I'll talk with my coach when I make the final decision, but at this point I'm enjoying skating these programs, and I'm wishing to continue them.
Oh god, that long for another season would be a nightmare, it literally builds to nothing. The short I could see keeping but she would actually have to hit some of the notes in the music...

Firedancer

Thank you for the translation! But please Mirai, at least get a new free skate for next season. This one just never seemed to work. Hopefully someone will change her mind and she can get a program that better fits her.

clairecloutier

I'm fine with Mirai keeping the SP, but agree she should really get a new LP. Her LP just hasn't really worked all year. The music is too risky/loaded of a choice, and by Nationals there wasn't much choreography left in the program. At Nationals and 4CCs, I just kept wishing she was still doing her Great Gatsby LP instead of this year's LP.

Frida80

I've decided to watch some old free skate for Mirai. The ones like best were the ones that gave her a reason to smile. Her bond program, while vacant in places, was pretty fun.

That said. I did not like Ashley's 2014-2015 MR free. But I loved how she reworked it and it became one of my favorite programs. I reeeeaaaalllyyyyy want that program gone, I have all season long. But if Mirai really wants this, I'll try to have some faith.

toddlj

My unpopular opinion... the program just brought the highest FS score of her career. The judges (and Mirai) seem to be OK with it. If she starts from scratch, she'll have a long season of working and reworking a new program, which may or may not be any better. By keeping it, she can focus her time (and money) on nuance, more details, and perhaps adding in a 3A.

Vagabond

I didn't much care for Nagasu's Great Gatsby program last season until she rocked it at Four Continents. If she feels that there is as yet unmined potential in her current program, she is most likely correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information