Nathan Chen (#Slaythan Fans) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan has won his second consecutive USOC monthly award, this time for January: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/Fe...y-Honors-For-Team-USA-Awards-Presented-By-Dow
In addition to winning his first U.S. title, 17-year-old Chen made history at the 2017 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, becoming the first man in figure skating history to land five quadruple jumps in a single performance. His free skate, set to "The Polovtsian Dances" by Alexander Borodin, included a quad Lutz-triple toe combination, a quad flip, a quad Salchow and two quad toe loops, including one in a series with a double-toe-double loop. His personal-best scores marked new U.S. records across the board, breaking the previous top overall score by more than 43 points. He earned 212.08 for his free skate and finished the week with 318.47 points. This is Chen’s second consecutive Team USA Awards Best of the Month win during the 2016-17 cycle.
ETA that, not surprisingly, he was featured prominently yesterday in NBC Olympics' 1 Year to PyeongChang promos on their FB page (I counted 5 different FB photos), like this one yesterday in a group with Olympic gold medalists Shaun White, Mikaela Shiffrin & Lindsey Vonn): https://www.facebook.com/nbcolympic...18682000328/10155715458895329/?type=3&theater
As well as by himself: https://www.facebook.com/nbcolympic...18682000328/10155715528430329/?type=3&theater

Last edited:

olympic

To me, Nathan is a male version of Tara Lipinski: Athletic, compact, reasonable speed and extension, not necessarily balletic or swan-like, but fairly consistent, competitive, driven, effervescent and seemingly unafraid of the big dogs. Throw in the big 4F and the fact he is pushing boundaries on jumps, and he probably has a dose of Midori Ito, too!

CoolGuy

To me, Nathan is a male version of Tara Lipinski: Athletic, compact, reasonable speed and extension, not necessarily balletic or swan-like, but fairly consistent, competitive, driven, effervescent and seemingly unafraid of the big dogs. Throw in the big 4F and the fact he is pushing boundaries on jumps, and he probably has a dose of Midori Ito, too!

Well, a male version of Lipinski with good jump technique... :p

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Well, a male version of Lipinski with good jump technique... :p

And he's had ballet training. I think he looks more balletic than Tara ever did at the same stage of their lives! And his spins too are superior. Yes, there's room to grow but the foundation is there. Nathan is only going to get better artistically speaking as time goes on. He's going to be an incredibly well rounded skater as long as his body holds up knock wood.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I find his spins disappointing compared to his jumping abilities.
But I really love the way he moves, especially in the SP. Live in Paris, it was so impressive.

I'll have to disagree on the spins. I think Nathan's spins are fine. And I meant they are far superior to any spins Tara ever did. That being said, I think few skills can be compared to his extraordinary jumps. As long as he hits I think they'll almost always outshine anything else he throws down on the ice.

shine

I'll have to disagree on the spins. I think Nathan's spins are fine. And I meant they are far superior to any spins Tara ever did. That being said, I think few skills can be compared to his extraordinary jumps. As long as he hits I think they'll almost always outshine anything else he throws down on the ice.
I think he's a very good spinner in general, maybe not up to Brown's level but the speed ranges from decent to very good, with clearly defined positions and good lines. But there have been a few times where he either lost centering, couldn't hold on to a certain position or got sloppy. But to me, it looks more a matter of practice and ensuring that the execution is done to perfection each time, rather than an issue with his ability to spin.

Jammers

Do Raf skaters not practice spins? Seems like some of his skaters are rather mediocre when it comes to spins. I have a feeling with Nathan it's just because jumps have been his focus for the last couple years.

briancoogaert

At GPF, his spins were clearly not at his level. But they were all at the very end of his LP, after all those quads...

Sylvia

TBD
1 Nathan CHEN
USA.GIF
USA 307.46 1 2

2 Nathan CHEN USA 204.34 115.48 88.86 9.00 8.75 8.89 8.93 8.86 0.00 #24
Free Skate (NBCSN with Andrea Joyce/John Coughlin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9xyFvrhrEc

Post-skate interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbnr1tYuBdE

kittysk8ts

Chen's skating skills and presentation are so much better than Boyang Jin. He is not just a jumper.
OMGosh yes, absolutely. Nathan has good posture and lines and arms and has a classical like quality to his skating and his programs and choreography are mature and quite lovely. Jin is all heart and his efforts to improve his PCS are much appreciated, but he does not yet possess the qualities of Nathan.

aftershocks

Banned Member
And he's still only seventeen. The current World Champion, for example, was certainly no better than Chen at these aspects of his skating when he was that age.

At the age of seventeen (around 2007 and 2008, i.e., 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons), Javier Fernandez was essentially just breaking onto the senior scene. Not only was he 'no better than Chen,' he was nowhere near Nathan Chen's stature in terms of polished preparedness and medal-winning results.

At 2007 Worlds, Javier finished in 35th position, and he was 28th at Europeans. In 2008, Javi finished 30th at Worlds, 17th at Europeans, and 13th at Golden Spin. So he was making steady upward progress which was a good sign. In 2009, Javi finished 19th at Worlds; he was 11th at Europeans, and he took a bronze medal at a senior B event (NRW Trophy). In 2010, Javi was 12th at Worlds, 8th at Europeans, and he grabbed bronze and gold medals at some minor senior B events. Again steady progress each year -- probably when he got better coaches, his progress began to take off. By 2012, Javi was clearly on his way to the top. At 2013 Worlds (22 years old, soon to be 23), Javi won bronze, after having grabbed his first European championship gold weeks earlier.

Nathan made his preparatory strides to senior championship form in the novice and junior events at U.S. Nationals (as a pre-teenager), and then internationally in junior events as a young teenager. Of course, Nathan also weathered some serious injury setbacks, which btw only ended up honing his character and making him stronger competitively. :)

skateboy

I'm sorry to see such a number of posters ragging on Nathan, but I suppose that goes with the territory of being a top contender.

He's more or less crashed the party; and I can understand how fans of his main competitors would be irked by that. Nathan may or may not win Worlds or the 2018 Olympics (or even podium), but he has proved that he is real competition for Hanyu, Fernandez, Chan, Uno and Jin. Nationally, he's likely to win more National titles, over longtime favorites and former national champions.

But he really is special and I hope we can all appreciate that. I think Raf put it best in a fluff piece when he said, "he wants it so bad."

In my opinion, the men's event has not been this exciting in years! For the record, I'm more of an Uno fan, but wishing Nathan continued success and good health.

Dobre

In my opinion, the men's event has not been this exciting in years!

Yes! Nathan & Uno & Jin all make the experienced athletes have to be their best. To me that is so important. Nathan is such a solid competitor. It means Hanyu & Patrick & Javi can't win with a mess. I am so tired of seeing them win that way. I want to see athletes win by being good. Great would be even better. And those experienced athletes are forcing the younger guys to become better as well. Look at how much stronger Nathan & Shoma are right now than even this time last season. It's amazing. They are all pushing each other to be their best selves. (I don't want to see them push themselves beyond their abilities. Misha's injuries make me sad. But I love seeing athletes challenged to demonstrate their own potential).

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow, suddenly Nathan Chen is too hot to trot. :angryfire :gallopin1

Fujitv has swooped in and denied access to the 4CCs vids on Youtube. :duh: Jeez, what's up with that? The links @Sylvia posted are no longer available. I mean, Nathan was good at 4CCs, but he was overall better at U.S. Nationals. What the heck is Fujitv trying to protect I wonder? :huh: I understand they are talking copyright, but what Nathan did at 4CCs in winning against Hanyu and the rest of the field, while remarkable is not as groundbreaking as what he accomplished earlier at U.S. Nationals, which is what set up the tremendous buzz and anticipation for 4CCs in the first place.

Those with IN subscriptions can check out or revisit Nathan's 4CCs programs there. Worlds is going to be the real showdown in any case. Keep your friggin' copyrights Fujitv. :blah: :rolleyes:

aftershocks

Banned Member
He's more or less crashed the party; and I can understand how fans of his main competitors would be irked by that. Nathan may or may not win Worlds or the 2018 Olympics (or even podium), but he has proved that he is real competition ...

Right you are and then some. Nathan Chen has simply changed the landscape of men's figure skating, and a lot of people seem overly bent out of shape about his phenomenal accomplishments. Some gobsmacked commentators term what Nathan is doing 'ridiculous,' while others are rendered 'speechless.' Quads are what ISU wants and have shown they will over-reward. I'm with you re the hypocrisy of all the angsty critiques of Nathan and aspersions cast on his PCS scores. :p Nathan's giving the ISU what they want and then some, and with budding style, musicality and fearlessness to boot! :kickass:

It means Hanyu & Patrick & Javi can't win with a mess. I am so tired of seeing them win that way...

Exactly! It was becoming so boring and predictable. :duh: Javier did manage to up his game at 2016 Boston Worlds in thrilling fashion. And Adam Rippon brought down the house sans ratified quad (even though he gutsily went for the rotations). Hanyu and Patrick were a mess, but still got too many points thrown their way. Shoma's fp took him out of the podium hunt and brought him to tears.

I am still not on board with Boyang Jin. He's an okay skater who needs a lot of work on presentation and skating skills. Nothing sets Jin apart aside from his quad lutz/ triple combo jumping ability. And still he's been messy and inconsistent on many of his quad passes. The only thing Jin is remarkable for in my eyes is finally landing that difficult combo and showing that the podium can be had when you are a newbie to seniors if you master that combo along with other quads (even with mistakes).

Nathan got that message, and since he loves to jump, Nathan decided to add as many quads to his repertoire as possible. Nathan lands the quad lutz/ triple combo in fine fashion and often with greater command than Boyang's relative messiness.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I want Nathan wrapped in bubble wrap from now through the Olympics and beyond! :D Awesome job at 4CCs! He skated to gold even with some mistakes!

I do worry about NBC's hype machine though. They keep playing that clip of Nathan as a little boy performing to "Peter and the Wolf" then cut to the grown up Nathan. I'm fearful they'll jinx him. I truly hope that Nathan has his blinders on and stays focused. Not allow all of this new attention get to him and mess him up (like I suspect it may have messed Gracie up - all the expectations).

All of that being said, on the other hand, it would be wonderful if Nathan could bring some more fans in to the sport should his popularity soar even more! :summer:

Jammers

I want Nathan wrapped in bubble wrap from now through the Olympics and beyond! :D Awesome job at 4CCs! He skated to gold even with some mistakes!

I do worry about NBC's hype machine though. They keep playing that clip of Nathan as a little boy performing to "Peter and the Wolf" then cut to the grown up Nathan. I'm fearful they'll jinx him. I truly hope that Nathan has his blinders on and stays focused. Not allow all of this new attention get to him and mess him up (like I suspect it may have messed Gracie up - all the expectations).

All of that being said, on the other hand, it would be wonderful if Nathan could bring some more fans in to the sport should his popularity soar even more! :summer:
Nathan has a warriors mentality that Gracie lacks. Even though he was nervous following Hanyu he focused on the task at hand and even though he had some rough jumps he fought for everything and didn't fall or pop jumps like Gracie would have done. Unlike Gracie who would probably rather run away from pressure i think Nathan welcomes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information