Let's Talk Movies #33: Star Wars: Jabba Rising...Captain America Trumps China...and MORE!

Which Movies Might You See In 2017? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• The Lego Batman Movie

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • The Great Wall

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Logan

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • T2: Trainspotting

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Kong: Skull Island

• Beauty and the Beast

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Snatched

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Alien: Covenant

• Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Here's the other dance documentary I mentioned:

Never Stand Still: Dancing at Jacob's Pillow -- Official Trailer

Thanks to @kwanfan1818 for knowing the title. :respec:
Tx so much for your suggestions. I had watched First Position and I have lined up Pina in my watch list. There's actually a lot of interesting dance doc on YT. Right now I'm awaiting the documentary about Sergei Polunin named Dancer http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5097070/?ref=m_nv_sr_2
And a movie called The dancer about Loie Fuller http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4632440/

PeterG

I like McAvoy too, understand now that M. Night is back and now making good films per the "powers" in LA and I hear this is very twisty. I like twisty.

Do NOT read spoilers about this movie (Split).

watchthis!!

2017 Sundance Wrap-Up and Top 5
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/2017-sundance-wrap-up-276

Names mentioned in the article for movies of note include Rooney Mara, Robert Redford, Garrett Hedlund, Carey Mulligan and Jason Segel. Five of the movies making some buzz at Sundance include:

5. I Don't Feel At Home In The World Anymore – Crime thriller with Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a891D5_bGY4

4. Brigsby Bear - Drama with Mark Hamill, Claire Danes, And Samberg and Greg Kinnerar
- no trailer yet

3. Mudbound - Drama with Carey Mulligan, Garrett Hedlund, Jonathan Banks, Mary J. Blige and Jason Clarke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq9mAa1Dhkg

2. Wind River - Thriller with Elizabeth Olsen, Jeremy Renner, Jon Bernthal and Graham Greene
- no trailer yet

1. Call Me By Your Name - Romantic drama with Italian cast and Armie Hammer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJ5H_LnRTY

PeterG

Meet The Hitlers is both a 2014 documentary as well as a disappointment. :lol: It's a “presented by Morgan Spurlock” project, about eight or so people who share the name Hitler. I guess there’s a variety in the people they chose to be a part of this movie, but those who are rather strange are the ones who stand out. Most notably the couple you probably remember being in the news for wanting their local bakery to personalize a birthday cake for their child, who they had named Adolf Hitler. On the other end of the spectrum, you have the warm cuddly grandfather and his middle-aged children taking a pilgrimage back to the Pennsylvania graveyard where all their relatives have been buried since the 1700’s. Then there’s the reporter (not named Hitler) trying to track down the last known relatives of the real Adolf Hitler, who are living in America, have changed their names and have all agreed to never marry or have any children. This reporter thinks their existence is a part of history and do not deserve to live their lives in anonymity, which they so clearly want. I kept wanting this reporter to get hit by a semi-truck. His wanting a story was so much more important to him than how reavealing these people's identity could harm them. The focus of this movie is fairly random and often has over-the-top background music playing for long periods of time. Right now, you are to feel melancholy. Listen to the music...it's telling you so! And right now, while you are feeling overwhelmed, it’s not really so bad - so we’re going to focus on the cuddly grandpapa and play this light, spry music for you all. Harumph. :mad: Thumbs down, way down, for this mess of a film. :(

Cachoo

AAAHHH....I needed a movie that I find warm and fuzzy like my favorite slippers and so I watched "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist." It is a sweet film with a great soundtrack. I thought Michael Cera and Kat Dennings had wonderful chemistry in that film. And it was well cast. Ari Graynor almost steals the show as the oh-so-drunk best friend. Good stuff.

cocotaffy

Just watched Queen of Katwe with the kids, great inspirational movie. Acting was good too. They loved the tough mum who doesn't let people walk all over her. It is set in a poor area but never get grim or play with the audience's feelings. It's full of hope without being naive.

Last edited:

watchthis!!

I never got around to seeing My Brilliant Career (1979), until this past week. Judy Davis and Sam Neill are the leads and the movie is about Sybylla Melvyn, a byoung udding writer who just can’t accept taking on the role of what a woman is “supposed to be” around the late 1800’s/early 1900’s. This is the movie that introduced director Gillian Armstrong to the world (and Davis and Neill as well for that matter). This is one of those movies I’ve been meaning to see for SO long that I think my expectations quietly grew and grew until now that I’ve finally seen it, my thought is, “oh…that was good…” :shuffle: I thought it would have a greater impact on me. I find the overall story to be kind of slight. I might have had a stronger reaction if I had seen it closer to when it first came out (instead of waiting decades to see it). And I might have watched an older DVD copy of the movie – it’s filmed mostly in rural areas of Australia and the overall look of the movie has a very washed out sandy brown hue to it which leaves one feeling rather blah. I found Gallipoli to have been filmed in similar locations but not leaving me feeling as blah as this one did. I’m glad I got to see it, but was left feeling a little underwhelmed. And looking over Armstrong's imdb page, I much prefer the work of Jane Campion as far as female Australian directors goes.

Trailer for My Brilliant Career:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FfZiEJ8Nu8

VGThuy

You make it sound intriguing so I'll check it out. And since you mentioned her, I want to say that I love Jane Campion. The Piano of course is a classic, but I also love her underrated The Portrait of a Lady, Bright Star, and her miniseries Top of the Lake. I'm like in love with Campion's work. She's one of the best directors out there.

PeterG

Imdb.com discontinues it's message boards

After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide.

DAMN TROLLS!!! :soapbox::argue::wuzrobbed:lynch::angryfire

The statement suggests people move over to facebook or instagram, but people can't start threads on facebook. And there are no sections for individual movies, let alone multiple threads about each specific movie. I wonder if someone will start up a new site that will do exactly what the imdb message boards did. Imdb.com has been such a great resource for me, specifically the message boards. I am displeased. :(

The statement suggests people move over to facebook or instagram, but people can't start threads on facebook. And there are no sections for individual movies, let alone multiple threads about each specific movie. I wonder if someone will start up a new site that will do exactly what the imdb message boards did. Imdb.com has been such a great resource for me, specifically the message boards. I am displeased. :(

I'm displeased too. There were a lot of trolls but they were usually a decent source of information if you skimmed over the troll posts. If you discover a replacement let us know.

Tesla

Whippet Good

I thought of you when I saw that. I skim their message boards for obscure tv shows I watch and to get spoilers. I'll miss them.

cocotaffy

But will the user review section stay ? It's the one I was mainly reading.
I can't stand trolls on forum, they ruining things for everyone. Maybe we should create the replacement (as if I know what that would entail technically)

PeterG

But will the user review section stay ? It's the one I was mainly reading.

Everything remains the same except for the message boards being eliminated.

I can't stand trolls on forum, they ruining things for everyone. Maybe we should create the replacement (as if I know what that would entail technically)

I'm hoping there's something out there already that I never needed to be aware of because imdb.com's message boards provided everything I needed (usually). I have no idea how to create a message board. Even if I did, I've been limiting my computer time because my eyes start aching if I let my internet addiction run wild! :lol:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I never got around to seeing My Brilliant Career (1979), until this past week. Judy Davis and Sam Neill are the leads and the movie is about Sybylla Melvyn, a byoung udding writer who just can’t accept taking on the role of what a woman is “supposed to be” around the late 1800’s/early 1900’s. This is the movie that introduced director Gillian Armstrong to the world (and Davis and Neill as well for that matter). This is one of those movies I’ve been meaning to see for SO long that I think my expectations quietly grew and grew until now that I’ve finally seen it, my thought is, “oh…that was good…” :shuffle: I thought it would have a greater impact on me. I find the overall story to be kind of slight. I might have had a stronger reaction if I had seen it closer to when it first came out (instead of waiting decades to see it). And I might have watched an older DVD copy of the movie – it’s filmed mostly in rural areas of Australia and the overall look of the movie has a very washed out sandy brown hue to it which leaves one feeling rather blah. I found Gallipoli to have been filmed in similar locations but not leaving me feeling as blah as this one did. I’m glad I got to see it, but was left feeling a little underwhelmed. And looking over Armstrong's imdb page, I much prefer the work of Jane Campion as far as female Australian directors goes.

Trailer for My Brilliant Career:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FfZiEJ8Nu8
I saw this movie when it came out all those years ago and saw it again a couple of years ago. But I have seen it quite a few times over the years. On the more recent viewing I realised what a great Australian movie it is. So interesting seeing a young Judy Davis and Sam Neill. I watched a show with Sam Neill being interviewed the other day (Julia Zemero's Home Delivery where she revisits famous people's early years). They talked about My Brilliant Career and how important it had been to him deciding Australia was the place to be and how it was a great starting point for his acting career. And I always liked Judy Davis. She really was so young in this film but I loved the spirit of her character.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I think this is a stupid move. While there are trolls, I have found useful discussions at times on the message boards. Facebook and Instagrams cannot be a substitute for an open discussion board that is focused and the information is available for years. My FB is limited to friends. I rarely go to Instagram and I never go to Reddit.

VGThuy

I guess they don't see the value of keeping up the costs of managing so many discussion boards on their site. I wonder if some studios also communicated to the site that they didn't like the fact that anyone who was looking for more information about their movie on IMDB could also find many negative topics and comments and feared it was undermining that movie.

PeterG

I guess they don't see the value of keeping up the costs of managing so many discussion boards on their site. I wonder if some studios also communicated to the site that they didn't like the fact that anyone who was looking for more information about their movie on IMDB could also find many negative topics and comments and feared it was undermining that movie.

On the imdb facebook page, someone mentioned something about pressure from the movie studios. Movies that were being tested for audiences as well as movies that were having new scenes shot were sometimes ravaged on the imdb boards when the studios were still in the middle of preparing the movie for a release. So there would be negative word of mouth for a movie which the studio hadn't yet felt was a finished product. But the negativity would stay with the movie because of this, making it much harder to end up with a successful movie.

As for the costs of managing the boards, from the state of so many discussions, I don't think they were watching threads much. Maybe staff responding to complaints about various posts was all they were able to do. If threads going off the rail were a problem, I wish they would have just banned problem users for life by their IP address. I'm curious as to what the real reason behind this decision was...I know there is an Imdb PRO option where paid members have access to more in detail industry info about productions. Maybe this is where their main income comes from and if average joe's were screwing things up in the views of their paying customers, then they chose to serve those who are keeping them financially afloat. Which leaves me/us in the dust. :drama:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm torn over this. I mean, I understand that it's a significant loss for movie discussions, but so many of those boards were complete cesspools. The Beauty and the Beast board had about seven thousand different threads on the supposed ugliness of Emma Watson. :rolleyes:

Maybe removing them all is too drastic, but it would have been really nice if they could have policed them better.

watchthis!!

25 Movies Worth Reading Subtitles For
http://wcfcourier.com/entertainment...ion_5f6f513b-ed4b-52ac-89b3-974087d47e8f.html

I thought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was really good, but I haven't heard of a lot of movies on this list. Some look to be some real arthouse-y type movies. I did see Metropolis at some point, mainly because of the pop/rock soundtrack they did with for a new release of that movie in the 80's. I think I made it through Spirited Away, but just barely! :lol:

Others I should probably check out at some point:

Battle of Algiers
City of God
A Separation
Fanny and Alexander
Seven Samurai

Has anyone seen 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days? It sounds like it could be quite good.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I literally just clicked on your link expecting to see some cliched choices, but I'd be damned if the first entry wasn't the most underrated Studio Ghibli (hardly anyone has seen it) release and my personal favorite animated film, Only Yesterday. It's not a Hayao Miyazaki film but an Isao Takahata film (who was recently nominated for an Oscar for The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, my personal pick as the best animated film that year AND best score of that year from all movies). Since it's Takahata, it's much more adult-oriented and at first you wonder why they chose to do an animated film on the subject matter of a mid to late twenties Tokyo woman who loves to go vacationing in rural Japan and farm, but you realize why animation was the perfect vehicle for this film. Funny enough when people think of Studio Ghibli, they think of Miyazaki (as they should) and he's one of my favorite filmmakers, but my two favorite Ghibli films aren't his but rather Takahata's Only Yesterday and Yoshifumi Kondo's Whisper of the Heart. Maybe because they both deal with urban life and feel like they are about actual real people off the street as opposed to the more fairy tale or fantasy stories that Miyazaki handles. It only just had an American release early in 2016, 25 years after it was released in Japan, but it totally blew me away. I cannot wait to see the rest of the list.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Maybe removing them all is too drastic, but it would have been really nice if they could have policed them better.
That requires people which requires money.

I figure if Television without Pity couldn't make it, the imdb boards probably weren't even close to viable.

PeterG

That requires people which requires money.

I figure if Television without Pity couldn't make it, the imdb boards probably weren't even close to viable.

I've seriously needed help with my youtube account at times and the possibility of dealing with a human being associated with youtube is a joke. And youtube is making wheelbarrows of cash more than a site like imdb.com ever would. Isn't youtube owned by google now? I don't even find the help feature at youtube helpful, so no "contact us" option is a real kick to the [insert whatever place hurts the most to you here].

smurfy

http://wcfcourier.com/entertainment...ion_5f6f513b-ed4b-52ac-89b3-974087d47e8f.html

I thought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was really good, but I haven't heard of a lot of movies on this list. Some look to be some real arthouse-y type movies. I did see Metropolis at some point, mainly because of the pop/rock soundtrack they did with for a new release of that movie in the 80's. I think I made it through Spirited Away, but just barely! :lol:

Battle of Algiers
City of God
A Separation
Fanny and Alexander
Seven Samurai

Has anyone seen 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days? It sounds like it could be quite good.

I saw 4 months... very well done, I literally felt like a fly on the wall in a very personal situation. Not for everyone, but it stayed with with me for quite awhile.

I have seen a few movies on this list, A Separation, Pans Labyrinth, Lives of Others which some of the best movies I have ever seen.

Another movie not on the list, which is what convinced me that subtitles are worth the effort - 'Das Boot'. I saw the subtitled movie. And my sister saw the dubbed version. One key scene where the German soldiers break out singing 'It's a long way to Tipperary' in English was a very moving scene. My sister didnt think so as they it was all in English. I know subtitles can be a pain, but you get to hear what was meant. I do wish though that subtitles were put in boxes so they do not blend into the movie. The movie Northface was awesome, set in the Alps with snow and white letters.

cocotaffy

Battle of Algiers
City of God
A Separation
Fanny and Alexander
Seven Samurai

Thanks, very interesting list. I highly advise A separation, such a smart and understated movie. The director, Asghar Farhadi, has made excellent films, his latest project is nominated this year in Best Foreign Film, The Salesman, which I plan to watch too. As he is iranian, he said he won't attend the ceremony even if he is allowed as a protest.

Other movies I would recommend are all japanese (I tend to like them) Departures (one of my favorite movie), Like father like son (a fascinating take on filiation), Still Walking (a slow burner about family which stays with you) and finally if you're not sick of hearing japanese by then Tokyo Sonata (interesting take on the evolving economic situation in Japan and its impact on a family). BTW, if anyone has any suggestions of japenese movies, I would love it.
Finally a non japanese, the secret in her eyes, argentinian movie (a haunting crime tale)
And many more ....

I'm loving the idea of exchanging ideas about foreign movies. I love reading subtitles because it means I get to hear so many different voices and languages.

PeterG

The Japanese movie that stands out the most to me is "Nobody Knows". I found two trailers for it on youtube and neither come close to doing it justice. It's about four children with a single mother who is struggling to get by. The mother meets a man and as the dating process continues, the children see less and less of their mother. And if you want any more of the story, you're going to have to watch the movie!

I'm glad this topic has come up because I see this movie is not on my favourite movies of all time list, and it deserves to be.

cocotaffy

The Japanese movie that stands out the most to me is "Nobody Knows". I found two trailers for it on youtube and neither come close to doing it justice. It's about four children with a single mother who is struggling to get by. The mother meets a man and as the dating process continues, the children see less and less of their mother. And if you want any more of the story, you're going to have to watch the movie!

I'm glad this topic has come up because I see this movie is not on my favourite movies of all time list, and it deserves to be.
Yes, I did watch it and it is great, I can't believe I forgot to list it. Such an interesting movie indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information