Bobrova and Soloviev out of Worlds

Xela M

Is there proof or is this just fans making up stories? Don't get me wrong. I do feel sorry for Bobrova and Soloviev, and I do feel that the punishment may be too harsh if it was an innocent mistake (I tend to believe it was just a mistake). Unfortunately it's not going to change the outcome.

However, if this is the Russian version of the 1994 'whack', then the guilty party should be punished and B&S should be reinstated. I doubt this happy ending will happen though.

Well, it's serious enough for Dima himself to come out and say that this wasn't a mistake and serious enough for Trankov to get defensive, so it's beyond just fanfiction

poths

Hilarious excuses...
Aregawi (world 1500m champ) failed her tests for this too. She's not a pretty white chick so people are unlikely to make excuses for her.

WADA: "Meldonium was added [to the Prohibited List] because of evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance"

2015 study referred to in yesterday's WDR docu says 724/4316 samples of RUS athletes contained Meldonium... (1 in 5)
https://twitter.com/michellesammet/status/706959514713587712

If drug does even part of what's claimed (enhanced endurance or recovery, damage protection) then only semantics says it's not doping. Doping to facilitate training which improves performance. Training more, with a prevention of "health damage" - drug is performance enhancing

Meldonium is a good example of how dopers are so far ahead of testers - they cheat for a decade before it's even called cheating

Banned or not, if you're taking stuff designed to treat heart failure, you know you're cheating

In summary: Wake me up when the PR spin & political posturing is over...

C

casken

Is there proof or is this just fans making up stories? Don't get me wrong. I do feel sorry for Bobrova and Soloviev, and I do feel that the punishment may be too harsh if it was an innocent mistake (I tend to believe it was just a mistake). Unfortunately it's not going to change the outcome.

However, if this is the Russian version of the 1994 'whack', then the guilty party should be punished and B&S should be reinstated. I doubt this happy ending will happen though.

My thoughts exactly.

I would love for this to be some sort of conspiracy and Bobrova gets reinstated, but I'm a realist and don't really do hope.

As far as I'm concerned, this is it. They are done. I've already moved on to the acceptance stage.

ballettmaus

Kostner's situation was different. She was not banned for using drugs. Hers was a legal issue (lying about her knowledge of her boyfriend's drug use- IIRC). Just because Kostner was punished doesn't mean all the other athletes should be punished too.

You don't think someone should be punished for actually having the illegal substance in their system? :confused:

I see the point about making it a blanket ban; otherwise it would be tough to sift through every individual's specific situation. Still, I feel there must be some way to differentiate between an honest mistake and an intentional abuse, and at least have two sets of penalties.

How? There is no way to prove that an injury is actually an injury unless you require athletes to see WADA doctor and that would be nearly impossible because it would either have to mean there need to be WADA doctors within reaching distance for every athlete or every athlete would have to travel to see a WADA doctor and that would be costly. But personal physicians who are part of a federation/system can be bought even independent physicians could be bought so it would have to be someone associated to WADA.

topaz

I'm surprised there aren't more doping scandals in tennis. It's a murderous endurance sport

There have always been rumors of some players taking substances. Tennis is thorough with its testing. I know some think at Serena and Venus are doped. But Serena has been tested quite frequently over the years as has Venus. Venus' illness, she has mentioned that she closely follows the banned and monitoring substances information carefully to see if any of her illness meds are on them. . And many have called for a reduction in tourneys for years. This is why you see so many injuries the game, especially on the woman's side.

http://www.usada.org/testing/results/athlete-test-history/ Record of the tests.

Here is the US's testing records as of 2/24

8 Athletes Selected
11 Total Tests
Athlete Name Test Count

Robert C Bryan

Jamie Hampton

Steve Johnson

Sloane Stephens

CoCo Vandeweghe

Serena J Williams

Venus E Williams

Donald Young

On the tennis forum. It was just announced Maria is banned for 12 months.

Last edited:

Rock2

Well, ya know...either a bunch of top athletes are braving through heart problems in their pursuits or they are taking this drug to enhance performance. Or both. Who am I to say?

Regardless, here's the thing. If you're popping pills on the regular (I believe this drug isn't like some random additive in chocolate or tomato soup) then it's up to you to know what the heck you're doing...and to take ownership for it.

Also, it's no secret that anti-doping policies and protocols are ever evolving. So should your vigilance as an athlete over what you're doing, given the consequences.

I'm not here to judge for the choices anyone makes. However, as they say, if you mess with the bull, sometimes you gotta deal with the horns. Shizz happens.

Until a true mistake in testing is discovered, I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy for anyone involved. If it's the rule, it has been communicated, and if you don't follow it, it's cut and dried. You're out.

sweetsparky

Good Ice Dance = THE SEX
@poths you´re mostly right but I still feel bad for Bobrova/Soloviev, and, even if it´s a legal technicality, true is that months ago it doesn´t seem she wasn´t hiding anything and it wasn´t illegal. BTW when it comes to track and field after the Marta Domínguez shameful final I have no more tears or even rage to show.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Xela M

Well, ya know...either a bunch of top athletes are braving through heart problems in their pursuits or they are taking this drug to enhance performance. Or both. Who am I to say?

Regardless, here's the thing. If you're popping pills on the regular (I believe this drug isn't like some random additive in chocolate or tomato soup) then it's up to you to know what the heck you're doing...and to take ownership for it.

Also, it's no secret that anti-doping policies and protocols are ever evolving. So should your vigilance as an athlete over what you're doing, given the consequences.

I'm not here to judge for the choices anyone makes. However, as they say, if you mess with the bull, sometimes you gotta deal with the horns. Shizz happens.

Until a true mistake in testing is discovered, I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy for anyone involved. If it's the rule, it has been communicated, and if you don't follow it, it's cut and dried. You're out.

But this misses the point of the situation.

1) Sharapova admitted she took the drug for medical reasons for 10 years and made a mistake by not checking the WADA list. Huge screw up on her part and she's taking the blame for it. No one is claiming the testing was wrong.

2) Bobrova said she stopped taking the drug when she found out it would be banned (fall last year). She is actually indirectly blaming her doctor for administering the drug to her on purpose to get her banned and that's what the discussion is about. No one is claiming the testing was wrong.

adelia

It's openly being discussed on the Russian feeds that Bobrova's case wasn't any "mistake" and that there were people who benefited from this. It was apparently a very high dosage - higher than she would have taken normally when she was taking it last year
I'd have to see an official statement from the testing body about this "high dosage". Until then, it's just hearsay.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
But this misses the point of the situation.

1) Sharapova admitted she took the drug for medical reasons for 10 years and made a mistake by not checking the WADA list. Huge screw up on her part and she's taking the blame for it. No one is claiming the testing was wrong.

2) Bobrova said she stopped taking the drug when she found out it would be banned (fall last year). She is actually indirectly blaming her doctor for administring the drug to her on purpose to get her banned and that's what the discussion is about. No one is claiming the testing was wrong.

Did Katya actually blame her doctor or was it Dima that implied it? The only thing that bugs me is the implication that the doctor purposely administered the drug into her just before the Europeans. Is she absolutely sure that she did not take that drug after Jan. 2016? I am just playing devil's advocate here. If she is telling the truth (that she did not take that drug after Jan. 2016), the doctor should be investigated. Will he/she be? Can they sue doctors in Russia?

Xela M

I'd have to see an official statement from the testing body about this "high dosage". Until then, it's just hearsay.

Apparently it's a quote from Zhulin, but I don't have the original post. I've only seen the discussion of the quote

Loves_Shizuka

https://swimswam.com/blood-flow-drug-meldonium-added-to-wadas-banned-substances-list/

This article has probably already been linked, but...

"WADA began monitoring Meldonium in 2015, adding the drug to its “Monitoring Program” to determine how widespread its use was within sport and what effects it could have on athletic performance.

The Guardian reports that Meldonium was added to the banned list due to “evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance.”

RUSADA, Russia’s anti-doping agency, sent out a memo reminding athletes, coaching and support personnel that the substance had been banned."

So in theory, athletes should have known about it since at least October? As someone else said, things don't just get banned overnight.

shah

Shhh... shhh...
It's openly being discussed on the Russian feeds that Bobrova's case wasn't any "mistake" and that there were people who benefited from this. It was apparently a very high dosage - higher than she would have taken normally when she was taking it last year
:watch:

barbk

The Reuters story starts: Olympic gold medalists Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitri Solovyov have pulled out of the World Figure Skating Championships after a suspected doping violation, R-Sport news agency quoted Bobrova as saying on Monday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-figure-skating-russia-doping-idUSKCN0W91XR

Writer was Dmitri Rogovitskiy; editing by Alison Williams.

I guess fact-checking is completely gone, even for big press organizations like Reuters.

Xela M

Did Katya actually blame her doctor or was it Dima that implied it? The only thing that bugs me is the implication that the doctor purposely administered the drug into her just before the Europeans. Is she absolutely sure that she did not take that drug after Jan. 2016? I am just playing devil's advocate here. If she is telling the truth (that she did not take that drug after Jan. 2016), the doctor should be investigated. Will he/she be? Can they sue doctors in Russia?

I think she implied it in the Vaizekhovskaya article. It depends on whose instructions the doctor was acting. He wouldn't have just done it himself. I suspect B&S will be banned and nothing will be investigated

https://swimswam.com/blood-flow-drug-meldonium-added-to-wadas-banned-substances-list/

This article has probably already been linked, but...

"WADA began monitoring Meldonium in 2015, adding the drug to its “Monitoring Program” to determine how widespread its use was within sport and what effects it could have on athletic performance.

The Guardian reports that Meldonium was added to the banned list due to “evidence of its use by athletes with the intention of enhancing performance.”

RUSADA, Russia’s anti-doping agency, sent out a memo reminding athletes, coaching and support personnel that the substance had been banned."

So in theory, athletes should have known about it since at least October? As someone else said, things don't just get banned overnight.

Bobrova knew about it. Sharapova did not because her medication had a different name and she is taking full responsibility that she screwed up

arakwafan2006

It's a same thing.....

TRANSLATION " - https://www.instagram.com/p/BCqKsNjnWcx/
Let's all support Katya! I am sure and convinced she could not have made such gross mistake, especially after what we've been through after the Olympics. God sees all, and let him punish all who is trying to bring us down with such dirty methods, instead of a fair competition out on the ice. I know Katya is not guilty, we will not give up easily and we will prove it. We are stronger than you think....

soooo lets stop the whole Dmitry./Elena thing... he seems committed

VGThuy

The Reuters story starts: Olympic gold medalists Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitri Solovyov have pulled out of the World Figure Skating Championships after a suspected doping violation, R-Sport news agency quoted Bobrova as saying on Monday.

I guess fact-checking is completely gone, even for big press organizations like Reuters.

What facts were wrong?

Xela M

Didn't they win Gold in the team event?

Cachoo

Really how much can this stuff improve their abundant skills in their individual sport? How does she gain an unfair edge?

poths

I think she implied it in the Vaizekhovskaya article. It depends on whose instructions the doctor was acting. He wouldn't have just done it himself. I suspect B&S will be banned and nothing will be investigated

Bobrova knew about it. Sharapova did not because her medication had a different name and she is taking full responsibility that she screwed up
Systematic doping in Russia is hardly news. Evidence that Russia doesn't play by the rules (in any part sport, politics etc.) hardly news.
Next.

adelia

It is Vaitsekhovskaya who brought up Mozer's name. In general I would not take any Russian journalist's opinion on this issue seriously because most of them side with one rival faction or another in Russian skating.

poths

As usual, Over the top post. "Russia will be totally banned from all sports"? Because One of their athletes failed a drug test? "No progress in Russia"? You are essentially accusing every athlete in Russia through your post, which is extremely unfair to all the talented athletes there, including Olympic champions, and IMO it's unfair to Bobrova also to say that because of her failed drug test her whole country will be banned from "ALL sports".:mad:
Eh, your ENTIRE track and field team is banned from the Olympics. There is systematic doping in your country - that's a fact! 1/5 Russian athletes tested across all sports were using this PED last year - poor Russians with their dodgy tickers! The only way the system will change is if the Russian people demand change, but you don't even seem remotely embarrassed or ashamed? Just full of sh*t excuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information