UPDATE- USFS Has Named 2024 World Championships Team (Men and Pairs now included)

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I think a lot of people are viewing Jason through their memories of past skates. Even his presentation and skating skills felt lacking to me at US Nats. Those kinds of skates at worlds will depend on a very kind panel to get good marks.

Personally I don't care that he's named to the Worlds team. He'll do just as well there as anyone else the US has probably. And I'm hoping he'll get stronger by then. But what he presented at nationals is not what he has in the past 🤷‍♀️
What you're calling for is perfection to the T, and I'm afraid no one can measure up to those expectations. Any skater can be nearly flawless, but that's it.

Just because Jason messed up at Nationals doesn't mean he'll continue to mess up even at Worlds. I'm not thinking of past skates, either. Even with Jason messing up on his jumps this time around doesn't mean he'll continue to mess up.

On the contrary, I think of many skaters who continued to skate no matter what their age was because they loved it and actually medaled at the competitions. I could name quite a few male and female skaters who has continued to skate, make mistakes, and then come back and perform to their potential and then some.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
What you're calling for is perfection to the T, and I'm afraid no one can measure up to those expectations. Any skater can be nearly flawless, but that's it.

Just because Jason messed up at Nationals doesn't mean he'll continue to mess up even at Worlds. I'm not thinking of past skates, either. Even with Jason messing up on his jumps this time around doesn't mean he'll continue to mess up.

On the contrary, I think of many skaters who continued to skate no matter what their age was because they loved it and actually medaled at the competitions. I could name quite a few male and female skaters who has continued to skate, make mistakes, and then come back and perform to their potential and then some.
...I'm not calling for perfection? I compared him to himself. He's never been perfect lol. And I said I don't care if he goes to worlds and that he might be stronger there. I don't have anything against Jason. I just think he wasn't judged fairly.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
...I'm not calling for perfection? I compared him to himself. He's never been perfect lol. And I said I don't care if he goes to worlds and that he might be stronger there. I don't have anything against Jason. I just think he wasn't judged fairly.
Understood. I do appreciate your input and response because I've always respected what you have to say. I love to read your posts because you do know what you're talking about and that's a compliment.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I’m curious for those who think this was the wrong group to send for pairs who would you actually send? Yes two of the pairs people like might’ve done better but they aren’t eligible. Ranting and raving about how much better they are than the teams we are sending doesn’t change that fact
This. Of course E/M were great but they can't be named to World Team yet.

Dobre

Brown's track record at Worlds make him an obvious, and safe choice along with Malinin.
Based on the dance, obviously a top 6 finish at Worlds, a silver at last year's Nationals, and no season did not make him a guaranteed choice. I believe Jason had to finish top 3.

FYI, that I'd have sent Jason. It will be a miracle if we keep three spots in the men once he's done. It may not happen this season, but I feel like the need for a miracle is less.

As for the call between Camden & Naumov, that was really close. Could have gone either way. I'd like to see Naumov put some of that presentation abandon a la his exhibition into his competition performances. He's a beautiful skater and a good performer. He could handle it. I would also have liked to see Camden start selling his free skate prior to the last thirty seconds of the program.

eurodance2001

The team USFSA wanted was named for the men. Anytime its close and Camden is involved, he will get the benefit of the doubt. How else can you finish 8-10th for years and still be and still be alternate and selected for teams? This one could've gone either way and he got the bump. If Ilia is on the podium at Worlds and either Jason or Camden is 10th, they'll keep 3 spots which is totally doable..

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
One thing that I don’t understand completely is everybody seems to be withdrawing left and right to prepare for worlds and that’s like 2 almost 2 1/2 months away… Europeans is so prestigious to the Europeans, four cc still seems like a b competition I wish that would change.

I understand people don’t want to do back to back in case they 💣 … But still.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
One thing that I don’t understand completely is everybody seems to be withdrawing left and right to prepare for worlds and that’s like 2 almost 2 1/2 months away… Europeans is so prestigious to the Europeans, four cc still seems like a b competition I wish that would change.

I understand people don’t want to do back to back in case they 💣 … But still.
Worlds is in 7 weeks - March 18-24. I don't blame the 3 that have WD from 4CCs for doing so.

Glenn - long flight and I'm sure she wanted to celebrate her first national championship and come down from that adrenaline high then begin gearing up to peak at Worlds.

Chock/Bates - sick and they could damage their chances at a 2nd world title by losing to GilPoir at 4CCs.

Pulkinen - balancing Columbia and skating - I presume his thought process was only missing 2 weeks of classes this semester and choosing to get back to NYC this next week instead of missing a 3rd week of classes in order to compete at both 4CCs and Worlds.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Worlds is in 7 weeks - March 18-24. I don't blame the 3 that have WD from 4CCs for doing so.

Glenn - long flight and I'm sure she wanted to celebrate her first national championship and come down from that adrenaline high then begin gearing up to peak at Worlds.

Chock/Bates - sick and they could damage their chances at a 2nd world title by losing to GilPoir at 4CCs.

Pulkinen - balancing Columbia and skating - I presume his thought process was only missing 2 weeks of classes this semester and choosing to get back to NYC this next week instead of missing a 3rd week of classes in order to compete at both 4CCs and Worlds.
Plus flying across the globe compared to centralized Europe.

Allskate

IMO, the issue isn't so much when Worlds is. It's that Four Continents is so close to Nationals and requires a long flight. I don't think there are a lot of people who could perform their best under those circumstances and it might just mess with their confidence or the judges' perceptions of them if they don't skate well.

The final flight of men yesterday was a bit of a mess. (Yes, that includes Camden, even if he did do better than he has been doing.) It wasn't a big surprise. Most of them are pretty inconsistent generally.

I don't think the argument for Jason is just on his jumping consistency. (Even when he makes mistakes, he doesn't implode, but his jumps have not been great in his two competitions this season.) I think the stronger argument is that he's not suddenly going to lose all his PCS. For someone like him, PCS doesn't vary as much as TES. Even when he makes mistakes on jumps, he keeps the rest of the program together. He might be a little tighter in some competitions, but he's generally going to have excellent PCS. (Of course, the international judges aren't going to give him scores as high as he got yesterday, but you can say that about most of the skaters' scores.)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

uh hmmm

what about my withdrawal?

Hedwig

Antique member
I like Jason so much and his basic skating. And I probably would have picked him too as a safe choice.

But his free is beyond cheesy and I agree that his skating has regressed a bit. Especially the jumps. Normally they got and deserved great GOE. This seaoson neither her not at Warsaw

jlai

Question everything
IMO, the issue isn't so much when Worlds is. It's that Four Continents is so close to Nationals and requires a long flight. I don't think there are a lot of people who could perform their best under those circumstances and it might just mess with their confidence or the judges' perceptions of them if they don't skate well.

The final flight of men yesterday was a bit of a mess. (Yes, that includes Camden, even if he did do better than he has been doing.) It wasn't a big surprise. Most of them are pretty inconsistent generally.

I don't think the argument for Jason is just on his jumping consistency. (Even when he makes mistakes, he doesn't implode, but his jumps have not been great in his two competitions this season.) I think the stronger argument is that he's not suddenly going to lose all his PCS. For someone like him, PCS doesn't vary as much as TES. Even when he makes mistakes on jumps, he keeps the rest of the program together. He might be a little tighter in some competitions, but he's generally going to have excellent PCS. (Of course, the international judges aren't going to give him scores as high as he got yesterday, but you can say that about most of the skaters' scores.)
I think his PCs will go down a bit due to an early skating order.
That said I fully trust him to make the free skate.

just tuned in

I'm assuming that's an attempt at a joke. And not a very good one.
I wasn't making a joke and I wasn't suggesting they were doping. I mean that they might have mistakenly taken something for whatever illness, and in that case, it would be obvious they would need to withdraw.

Debbie S

I wasn't making a joke and I wasn't suggesting they were doping. I mean that they might have mistakenly taken something for whatever illness, and in that case, it would be obvious they would need to withdraw.
Uh, no.

Skaters who have been competing at the highest level for 15+ years don't "mistakenly take something." Not to mention that there is a medical professional at every USFS qualifying event (a requirement) and with each team at every int'l. If a skater gets sick, they consult with the team physician and if any meds are needed, I think it's safe to assume that the meds the team doc prescribes would not be "mistaken."

And the Nats winners in each Senior discipline are drug-tested following their comp. If your theory was correct, they wouldn't have skated the FD.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
No but a release from Germany is required.
Ah, ok - now it makes sense…but still a crappy outcome, IMO, comparing Efimova & Plazas.
Would they not have to miss Worlds anyway even with a release - isn’t there a one year wait when changing countries before competing internationally? And Efimova was at Worlds last year. (Unless that rule doesn’t exist anymore).

I can’t wait to see them next year though. I love her despite the inconsistent jumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information