UPDATE- USFS Has Named 2024 World Championships Team (Men and Pairs now included)

carriecmu0503

So is Josephine Lee not eligible for worlds again? I’m just curious as to what she might be eligible for.

I think she’s just delightful and I’m hoping that she gets some reward. Her long last year was wonderful and this year she delivered again. I know she’s not perfect and somebody’s gonna come out here and tell me she needs to work on x,y and z but I really enjoy her
Josephine Lee will also be too young for senior worlds next season. A skater must be 17 before July 1 to be eligible to skate senior that season. Isabeau Levito is the last skater we will have who gets to compete at worlds at the old 15 rule.

carriecmu0503

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
We are definitely losing spots in pairs, most of us forgot we had three. :rofl: But it’s going to look bad if we lose a spot in Mens right before a home Worlds. Oh well, not like any of them not named Ilia are that reliable. As long as Japan has 3 for men, France 3 for dance and Italy 3 for pairs I will be happy.

RoseRed

We are definitely losing spots in pairs, most of us forgot we had three. :rofl: But it’s going to look bad if we lose a spot in Mens right before a home Worlds. Oh well, not like any of them not named Ilia are that reliable. As long as Japan has 3 for men, France 3 for dance and Italy 3 for pairs I will be happy.
That'll be tough.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Efimova/Mitofanov so superior to Plazas/Fern. What on earth? Is US citizenship needed for a US pair to go to Worlds?
Frau, I know you've participated in plenty of threads ranting about this or that which discuss this particular situation.

She was 10th at Worlds for Germany last season, and like Parkman and Georgia, she needs a release from her Federation.

skatingguy

decently
Gutted for Maxim that he doesn't get to go to Worlds along with Ilia and Camden.

The judges -- and USFS -- should be ashamed of themselves for playing with someone's life like that.
Brown was going along with Malinin - there was only one spot left for the remaining skaters - all the judges did was make it easier to pick the team that the USFS had already selected. Brown's track record at Worlds make him an obvious, and safe choice along with Malinin.

skateboy

Brown was going along with Malinin - there was only one spot left for the remaining skaters - all the judges did was make it easier to pick the team that the USFS had already selected. Brown's track record at Worlds make him an obvious, and safe choice along with Malinin.
Brown's skating this season hardly makes him a "safe" choice for Worlds. He should have been 4th, based on his SP and FS, which were mediocre and unmemorable. Jimmy Ma's free skate was better. Naumov should have been the silver medalist, but was cast aside like an old shoe. And for what? Disgraceful.

jlai

Question everything
Brown's skating this season hardly makes him a "safe" choice for Worlds. He should have been 4th, based on his SP and FS, which were mediocre and unmemorable. Jimmy Ma's free skate was better. Naumov should have been the silver medalist, but was cast aside like an old shoe. And for what? Disgraceful.
I don’t follow your logic. You said he should be fourth(which I don’t disagree), but you also said the 6th place finisher is better. Better as in landing the jumps?

Fourth isn’t amazing but it’s hardly mediocre and unmemorable. The audience loved it at least.

As for Naumov he isn’t an old shoe. :)
I wonder if people in the arena agree with the opinions?

skateboy

I don’t follow your logic. You said he should be fourth(which I don’t disagree), but you also said the 6th place finisher is better. Better as in landing the jumps?

Fourth isn’t amazing but it’s hardly mediocre and unmemorable. The audience loved it at least.

As for Naumov he isn’t an old shoe. :)
I wonder if people in the arena agree with the opinions?
I meant that Jimmy Ma's free skate was better than Jason's. Of course, it wasn't scored that way. (Yes, I felt Jimmy's jumps were better and so was his overall delivery.)

jlai

Question everything
I meant that Jimmy Ma's free skate was better than Jason's. Of course, it wasn't scored that way. (Yes, I felt Jimmy's jumps were better and so was his overall delivery.)
That I am not sure about. I don’t think Ma is quite there in terms of skating skills and his non jump elements aren’t his strengths

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
As someone who hasn’t seen the Nats performances I’m pleased with the men’s team (and disappointed with the pairs but never mind).

And I hope Camden doesn’t get underscored if he skates well again! Still cross about his SP score from a couple of years ago.

skatingguy

decently
I'm not sure Naumov should have been 2nd, but I agree that Brown should have been off the podium. That still doesn't change the fact that Brown's the safer bet for Worlds over both Pulkinen, and Naumov.

Carolla5501

I think what hurts Jimmy is his inconsistency. Yes Jason was not great here but Jimmy unfortunately he has a reputation with US figure skating for just kind of imploding. I hate that because I really like his skating but it’s true. I mean how long has it been since we’ve seen a free skate like that from Jimmy? Jason will score better on the artistic part - judging loves his style.

I’m just saying if I was sitting in the position of picking a team , that would certainly be something I would think about.

I’m curious for those who think this was the wrong group to send for pairs who would you actually send? Yes two of the pairs people like might’ve done better but they aren’t eligible. Ranting and raving about how much better they are than the teams we are sending doesn’t change that fact

Last edited:

Jonas

RE: Jason Brown: I think the USFSA fully intended to name him to the World Team based on his relative track record, but also think he was PCSed to 2nd place to better justify a Body of Work argument. (2nd place at Nationals plus his Top 10 Worlds last season.)

He was spared lots of review calls in the FS. To his credit, Johnny Weir pointed that out!

9s in PCS...I don't doubt he's a great skater, but he just looked stale to me this week.

My Worlds Team would've been Malinin, Pulkinen, and Naumov. But, oh well...

Your thoughts...

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
@Jonas, I'm not an expert on the technicalities of Figure Skating by any means, and I don't claim to be. I just know that I've seen what Jason can do at Worlds. Hardly any of the men skaters have the presentation and artistry skills that Jason has.

You mentioned Naumov going instead of Jason if you had your way about it. If he were to pop, come short of revolutions, mess up on his edges or even fall, then there's goes his chance to be on the podium because he would then have to rely on his presentation skills, and they're nowhere near to what Jason can do.

Worlds doesn't happen until March, and I'm pretty sure Ilia, Jason and Camden will be practicing (working like crazy) to improve on their skills in order to be ready by then.

I believe they picked the right team, and whether anyone likes it or not, that's who's going.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think a lot of people are viewing Jason through their memories of past skates. Even his presentation and skating skills felt lacking to me at US Nats. Those kinds of skates at worlds will depend on a very kind panel to get good marks.

Personally I don't care that he's named to the Worlds team. He'll do just as well there as anyone else the US has probably. And I'm hoping he'll get stronger by then. But what he presented at nationals is not what he has in the past 🤷‍♀️

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information