UPDATE- USFS Has Named 2024 World Championships Team (Men and Pairs now included)

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm so glad they assigned Bratti & Somerville! They earned that spot. I think Nationals matters. And they just were just fantastic.

I'm depressed for Caroline & Michael but they need some re-tooling and I hope they come back ready to compete for the top next year.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
And on the other hand, I wonder if Lindsay regrets going to Nationals. I didn't know she was injured and another week to recover probably wouldn't have hurt.

ITA with this, and I said something similar on another thread. Thorngren's seventh place at Nationals isn't going to do her any favors and probably weakened her standing v. if she had withdrawn.

We need KarenW or someone to tell us: how badly could Thorngren's seventh place at Nationals hurt her in terms of GP assignments for next year? I guess, like Ziegler, she has an opportunity to earn points and prove herself at 4CC? Is she likely to be in a position to get two assignments automatically? I have to imagine the USFS would need to prioritize a first assignment for Everhardt, Seo, and Andrews with any discretionary spots. Plus we'll see what Lin-Gracey does at 4CC.

Carolla5501

So is Josephine Lee not eligible for worlds again? I’m just curious as to what she might be eligible for.

I think she’s just delightful and I’m hoping that she gets some reward. Her long last year was wonderful and this year she delivered again. I know she’s not perfect and somebody’s gonna come out here and tell me she needs to work on x,y and z but I really enjoy her

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
ITA with this, and I said something similar on another thread. Thorngren's seventh place at Nationals isn't going to do her any favors and probably weakened her standing v. if she had withdrawn.

We need KarenW or someone to tell us: how badly could Thorngren's seventh place at Nationals hurt her in terms of GP assignments for next year? I guess, like Ziegler, she has an opportunity to earn points and prove herself at 4CC? Is she likely to be in a position to get two assignments automatically? I have to imagine the USFS would need to prioritize a first assignment for Everhardt, Seo, and Andrews with any discretionary spots. Plus we'll see what Lin-Gracey does at 4CC.
I don't think it will do much to her standing with USFS as they seem to be taking a more holistic look at athletes and they know she was injured. As far as GP chances, she's still the third-best American on the World Standings List (#18) and she should pick up more points at 4CC. She can't guarantee herself two without finishing in the top 12 at Worlds (so not possible unless she got to skate there from the alternates list).

So how does she fit with the other Americans? Levito and Glenn have a chance to guarantee themselves two by finishing in the top 12 at worlds. Besides, Levito, Glenn, and Thorngren, Audrey Shin is also currently on the top 24 list (#21), but she will drop her previous 4CC points in the championships box and won't replace them so she will move down. Zeigler is #25 on the World Standings list, but she will add 4CC points in the championships box and also she's comfortably in the top 24 season's best to guarantee one spot.

On that Seasons best list, it's Levito (#4), Zeigler (#11), Thorngren (#12), and Glenn (#24) in the top 24, which gives one guranteed spot. All this to say, is that it seems only four Americans will be guaranteed an assignment. So USFS is going to have to politik anyone else onto the GP and be smart when deciding host picks. I'm not sure that all of Everhardt (#63), Seo (#56), and Andrews (#50) would get one (not that the latter two even really need one). And also wondering if Tennell (#27) will continue, which could take up another GP spot or two.

Last edited:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
So is Josephine Lee not eligible for worlds again? I’m just curious as to what she might be eligible for.

I think she’s just delightful and I’m hoping that she gets some reward. Her long last year was wonderful and this year she delivered again. I know she’s not perfect and somebody’s gonna come out here and tell me she needs to work on x,y and z but I really enjoy her
She's still too young for Sr. Worlds, but she has the minimums for Jr. Worlds.

She was fabulous at the last two nationals. Her next step is to translate some of those skates internationally. She absolutely bombed junior worlds last year and her JGP this season was nothing to write home about, but hopefully, she can start skating the same way on the world stage as she does at nationals.

litenkyckling

What do Caroline and Michael do now? Because it seems like something just isn't working for them. Their confidence isn't there just now, every kiss and cry has looked uncomfortable and they are better than the material they have. The question for me is this: is it too risky to make a change before the Olympics or is it too risky not to make a change before the Olympics?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Where would they even go? I can't see IAM or IAM ON taking them? Igor? I think his #1 priority is Vadym.

An unpopular opinion I am sure but I think the problem with Green/Parsons is they had one REALLY good FD a few years back that got a lot of attention and great results. I think they are overall a very average team amongst a lot of average but competent US teams but even I loved that one FD.

So maybe what they need is just stay with Charlie and team but get outside choreography. I think the coming generation of US teams need great programs to push them ahead of another. This year CarPoms got the great programs.

Firedancer

What do Caroline and Michael do now? Because it seems like something just isn't working for them. Their confidence isn't there just now, every kiss and cry has looked uncomfortable and they are better than the material they have. The question for me is this: is it too risky to make a change before the Olympics or is it too risky not to make a change before the Olympics?

In my opinion, this coaching change has not worked for them and they need to change again or at least use outside choreographers.

Carolla5501

She's still too young for Sr. Worlds, but she has the minimums for Jr. Worlds.

She was fabulous at the last two nationals. Her next step is to translate some of those skates internationally. She absolutely bombed junior worlds last year and her JGP this season was nothing to write home about, but hopefully, she can start skating the same way on the world stage as she does at nationals.
Thank you.

skategal

Bunny mama
Where would they even go? I can't see IAM or IAM ON taking them? Igor? I think his #1 priority is Vadym.

An unpopular opinion I am sure but I think the problem with Green/Parsons is they had one REALLY good FD a few years back that got a lot of attention and great results. I think they are overall a very average team amongst a lot of average but competent US teams but even I loved that one FD.

So maybe what they need is just stay with Charlie and team but get outside choreography. I think the coming generation of US teams need great programs to push them ahead of another. This year CarPoms got the great programs.
Why would IAM not want them?

They had Cho/Bat, Hub/Don and Haw/Bak all at the same time for years.

Most likely Haw/Bak won’t be there next year.

If I was IAM I’d be scooping Green/P up as fast as I could. :lol:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Why would IAM not want them?

They had Cho/Bat, Hub/Don and Haw/Bak all at the same time for years.

Most likely Haw/Bak won’t be there next year.

If I was IAM I’d be scooping Green/P up as fast as I could. :lol:
IAM satellite has done SO well with Carreira/Pom that I can see them not wanting another direct rival situation. Maybe the Browns fulltime or another younger team like Flor/Des.

skategal

Bunny mama
IAM satellite has done SO well with Carreira/Pom that I can see them not wanting another direct rival situation. Maybe the Browns fulltime or another younger team like Flor/Des.
I was thinking IAM Montreal rather than the satellite.

Montreal knows how to manage a direct rival situation and right now Green/P is not really direct rivals with either Cho/Bat or Car/Pom (I know this stings…)

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I wonder if Ziegler regrets skipping Nationals? A clean competition may have won her the title.
She may end up being the only healthy US skater next week. We will know soon enough.

I am glad Bratti/Sommerville get a shot, it would be kind of nice if we could rotate that third spot but then again we could lose it.

Debbie S

I was thinking IAM Montreal rather than the satellite.

Montreal knows how to manage a direct rival situation and right now Green/P is not really direct rivals with either Cho/Bat or Car/Pom (I know this stings…)
I would say they are rivals with C/P. They had a bad skate yesterday. If they hadn't, they likely would have finished 3rd. Looking at what the teams scored on the GP and their placements at Nats the past 4 years, I'd say that's a rivalry. And given that IAM has/had the top U.S. teams and the top CAN teams, it theoretically shouldn't be a problem to take on Green.

olympic

IS there a delay in choosing Pairs? Why? Are Chan / Howe still in the conversation?

Carolla5501

IS there a delay in choosing Pairs? Why? Are Chan / Howe still in the conversation?
They are supposedly filing a petition to be considered for the world team. The press release said it would be next week before they announce the team.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Usually the Int'l Committee meets twice at Nats - the first meeting would have happened after the FD yesterday - it just took until the evening for the press release. The second meeting will happen this afternoon between the Men's FS and the Gala.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information