Bobrova and Soloviev out of Worlds

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Well, in Sharapova's case it's extremely weird situation.
I mean, have you seen her entourage? She has about 10 people working for her, whose job is to keep an eye on everything around her, some of these star tennis players have their own nutritionists.
And because she "didn't check her e-mail" she continiued to use a med which she was using for 10 years.
Wow.

I don't find it that unusual that someone didn't check her email. I am sure she gets thousands of messages everyday. It's like someone not opening the huge amount of mail (papers, envelopes) for days or weeks and miss something very important. Certainly the fault belongs to the person for not opening it, but it's not that unusual if you are getting a really high volume of the mail (paper or electronic).

My question is- did WADA use only emails to inform the athletes or did they send paper mail as well? Was it sent to only athletes but not to the coaches or fed? I am not saying they should have; I am just asking how they inform.

I would also like to know how this drug enhances performance in figure skating. I am not an athlete, so this could be a dumb question. In different sports different muscles are used, so what may enhance performance in e.g. tennis or swimming may not impact figure skating or the martial arts (just using as an example) the same way.

Xela M

I don't find it that unusual that someone didn't check her email. I am sure she gets thousands of messages everyday. It's like someone not opening the huge amount of mail (papers, envelopes) for days or weeks and miss something very important. Certainly the fault belongs to the person for not opening it, but it's not that unusual if you are getting a really high volume of the mail (paper or electronic).

My question is- did WADA use only emails to inform the athletes or did they send paper mail as well? Was it sent to only athletes but not to the coaches or fed? I am not saying they should have; I am just asking how they inform.

Oh come on... if you're an elite athlete as high profile as Sharapova it is EXTREMELY weird for her team not to check the updated WADA list because her career depends on it!

floridaice

one has to wonder who else has tested positive, i expect this is just the tip of the iceberg

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
For anyone who was hoping that it was only Russian track and field athletes who were using performance enhancing drugs this is bad news. And yes I do know this drug was "legal" up until January - but it was being used for performance enhancement & that is wrong. I now have to seriously wonder what kind of drugs they used to get Plushy through the Olympic team event. Russia has some extremely talented and hardworking athletes - it's a shame to see them risking their health in this way.
Nearly every top athlete in the world is using something for "performance enhancement"and recovery. Nothing about what they do or how they live is natural.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
update on tested positive athletes
for meldonium, banned as of Jan 2016

1 Ice Dancer
1 Tennis Player
1 Turkish atheletics - olympic silver medalist
1 Swedish runner 1500m
and 3 Etiopians

for sure more will come

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain

They keep the updated list on their website:
http://list.wada-ama.org/

They also keep a separate "major changes" summary, so you can easily see what has changed from year to year:
http://www.usada.org/substances/prohibited-list/major-changes-2016-prohibited-list/

They offer a searchable database, etc. Also on mobile.

The list is updated annually.

I'm not sure if further efforts are made, such as emails to athletes or etc.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Offense would be same. Reaction may not be.

If a US athlete fails a drug test, the USADA (anti doping association) sends out an announcement. So the information is public. If the athlete is high profile, no doubt the press would pick up on that announcement. If the athlete is not from a major sport (and FS isn't a major sport in the US), there may or may not be much coverage. But that wouldn't be due to some conspiracy - it's because FS is a niche sport in the US.

J

Jeschke

update on tested positive athletes
for meldonium, banned as of Jan 2016

1 Ice Dancer
1 Tennis Player
1 Turkish atheletics - olympic silver medalist
1 Swedish runner 1500m
and 3 Etiopians

for sure more will come

+2 ukrainian biathletes

Eladola

I'm not sure how to phrase this but...

Do we think it's time all of the athletes\coaches\doctors doing these type enhancers just confess because it's highly unfair to everyone?
I mean, Now that it's obviously crossing sports, And a lot of people around are kind of aware but let it keep happening,
Make excuses and stuff, This behaviour says a lot, Especially in a judged sport where if people just dope their athletes they obviously live by a pattern and would act unfairly in other departments.

Last edited:

skaterboi

If a US athlete fails a drug test, the USADA (anti doping association) sends out an announcement. So the information is public. If the athlete is high profile, no doubt the press would pick up on that announcement. If the athlete is not from a major sport (and FS isn't a major sport in the US), there may or may not be much coverage. But that wouldn't be due to some conspiracy - it's because FS is a niche sport in the US.

Look what happened to former US cycling hero Lance Armstrong. We heard plenty about his doping (and his denial of doing so) and look what happened to him.

peibeck

Simply looking
Am I the only one wondering why this is coming out a month after Euros? And at the same day as Sharapova?

Probably because today is when federations have to submit the names of their competitors to the ISU for Worlds.

Xela M

I'm not sure how to phrase this but...

Do we think it's time all of the athletes\coaches\doctors doing these type enhancers just confess because it's highly unfair to everyone?
I mean, Now that it's obviously crossing sports, And a lot of people around are kind of aware but let it keep happening,
Make excuses and stuff, This behaviour says a lot, Especially in a judged sport where if people just dope their athletes they obviously live by a pattern and would act unfairly in other departments.

Seriously? Do you know any elite athletes? They would take ANYTHING legal to enhance their performance. That's how it is. If a drug is legal and it enhances performance, they'll take it.

Eladola

Seriously? Do you know any elite athletes? They would take ANYTHING legal to enhance their performance. That's how it is. If a drug is legal and it enhances performance, they'll take it.

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough,

By "These type" performance enhancers i meant Illegal ones

The ones that are under discussion in this thread

And FYI not all athletes would take "ANYTHING" and not all athletes need anything

Sedge

Am I the only one wondering why this is coming out a month after Euros? And at the same day as Sharapova?

When Berezhnaya was tested at 2000 Euros for sudoepinephrin (?)..her results and ban from the Worlds came out at the 2000 World Championships just prior to the draw.( so 8-9 weeks after Euros)
The fact that this is all happening at the same time makes me think it is part of a bigger crackdown that has to do with the Rio ban.
Is it to make it widely appear that Russian athletes take banned substances and should be disallowed Rio participation?
Is it to scare other nation's athletes about being caught?
I keep waiting for another shoe to drop today.

peibeck

Simply looking
These Russians are cheaters. I told you and every gets all "PC" . They are cheaters!!!!!

:blah: Ever heard of the BALCO scandal? How about Carl Lewis or Lance Armstrong?

In the last 2 two years Americans Jilliam Camerena-Williams, Shawn Crawford, Tyson Gay, Alatelech Keterma, Inika McPherson and Wallace Spearmon have been handed bans for illegal substances.

Even coaches (such as John Drummond, Lee Evans, and Trevor Graham) have been banned for traffiking performance enhancing drugs and steroids.

This in an international problem, not just related to Russian athletes.

fan

does tennis take the doping as seriously as (exclusively amateur) olympic sports?

Ka3sha

Trankov defends Mozer& their doctor in Twitter , even if they were not blamed in press by anyone - very weird situation.

I feel so sad about both Katya and Maria :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information