Bobrova and Soloviev out of Worlds

Loves_Shizuka

Whaaaaaaat?!

:wuzrobbed :fragile:

... Gutted. My faves after P/C.

Who goes now?! I/Z? ...with Igor?

ETA: Oh wait, only two spots weren't there? So I guess S/B?

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Looks like it's legal in Russia (according to Wiki) and according to google translate of the article, it was added to the banned substances by WADA only recently (January 2016)

D

Deleted member 40371

Wow, this could also mean 2 years suspension if the usual ban is given to them, so that will be the end of this Olympic cycle for them.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
seems like another case of: you better get someone to inform the athletes better about wada updates (if they are not able to do it by themselves :drama:)

Ja, that's what it looks like... being legal in their own country + only recently added to banned substances.

They were coming back so steady from injury :(, really hope this doesn't mean a ban. They had so much bad luck in the past.

dinakt

http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/974802/
Cannot translate verbatum (no time now), but it says that the doping probe was taken during the Europeans. That the drug is widely used in Russian sport (at least before the ban), that it became illegal Jan.1, it promotes endurance and quick muscle recovery. WADA classified it as S4, a serious "hormones and metabolic drugs" offense, that can lead to a 4 year ban.

Loves_Shizuka

http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/974802/
Cannot translate verbatum (no time now), but it says that the doping probe was taken during the Europeans. That the drug is widely used in Russian sport (at least before the ban), that it became illegal Jan.1, it promotes endurance and quick muscle recovery. WADA classified it as S4, a serious "hormones and metabolic drugs" offense, that can lead to a 4 year ban.

Do they lose their Euro medal then? :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 40371

Well, if the drug had performance enhancing qualities then the drug need not in the banned list for athletes to be banned, WADA has made it very clear in the past. Otherwise, athletes could be taking designer drugs, and athletes can't be backdated banned when the drug was not known, even though the drug has performance enhancing qualities, THG is one of the examples of WADA backdating the prohibitions.

MsZem

I see the sea
Of course it means a ban, and the end of their career - they'll be away for too long and will have too much ground to make up. Poor Bobrova and Soloviev.

I'm not a fan of the mandatory minimum approach to banned substance offenses, whether these involve illegal drugs or doping offenses. I think that extenuating circumstances should be considered; it's more just and more effective than slapping the same sanction on everyone. And yes, WADA needs to do a better job of communicating these sort of updates. How many substances are on the banned substance list these days anyway?

Get ready for S/K to get a scoring boost. They'll be Euro medalists, clearly they deserve it :scream:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/news/974811/

She says she's only taken legal drugs - in the lead up to Euros she took Actovegin, which also promotes quick muscle recovery. It's not prohibited in sport under the WADA List of Prohibited Substances and Methods except if it is used by intravenous infusion/injection.

http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/reviews/974642/

ETA: Is this saying she thought it must have been residual traces, but that the test showed it had only been in her body for a short time? She says later that she knew it was banned and had been warned to be careful about it in the autumn.

Last edited:

dinakt

http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/reviews/974642/
Vaitsekhovskaya interviews Bobrova. Katya says she was aware since the fall that the drug would be illegal. She took it in the fall, but was sure she did not take it afterwards. She says she was very careful and checked all her drug labels. They did not have their regular doctor with them at Europeans; instead they had Dr. Philipp Shvedsky, who regularly works with Mozer group. They get "suppoting" injections from doctors on a regular basis during the competition.
Then Vaitsehovskaya adds that Shvedsky has been the cause of doping violation of a Russian roving team in 2007.
Bobrova has signed the waiver not to do the second probe (according to her, because she was sure that anything in her system would be proven to be residual), so there will not be a Probe B. The test showed the drug was taken within 12 hours of competition.

J

Jeschke

so to understand it right: bob thinks she has been doped (by someone)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information