Bobrova and Soloviev out of Worlds

D

Deleted member 40371

I think whole WADA ruling has opened a new can of worms, I think this will be enough for athletes who will have a higher concentration to approach CAS to review the cases. With various experts and WADA themselves question earlier outcome, I think CAS may look at their cases more favourably. What is more worrying is the example given Dr. Tom Bassindale, where he mentions the substance could stay in the system for longer.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
As I mentioned in one of my post at the very beginning of this thread (or perhaps the other thread on the subject in this forum) it was made clear that the longevity of the traces of the substance has never been studied. It was supposed that it was 2-3 days, but it's clearly not the case. That is precisely why all off the talks of "hang the witch" were premature... Will these new findings clear all of the athletes? Perhaps not, but it does explain a lot.
What bothers me is the attitude of some that are very similar to the inquisition mentality. Sad, in this day and age.

Preliminary results obtained from single and multiple drug applications indicate that the urinary elimination of meldonium at recommended doses includes an initial rapid excretion phase (estimated half-life 5-15 h), which is followed by a second, longer elimination phase with an estimated half-life of more than 100 h.

Yeah, what studies? It's not comprehensive, but there's enough to say there shouldn't be large quantities of the drug in someone's system unless it has been taken recently. Which is why you can't definitively condemn or absolve anyone of blame until the amount present in the samples is revealed.

Coquelicot14

According to this, the following athletes had the minimum amount that makes them eligible:

Pavel Kulizhnikov (speed skating)
Simon Elistratov (short track)
Ekaterina Konstantinova
Alexandr Markin (volleyball)
Olga Kotliarova (track and field?)
Olga Volvk
Gulshat Fazletdinova (sp?)

Last edited:

Jammers

I'm sorry but B/S knew back in September that this substance was being banned yet she still tested positive. Sounds to me like she just ignored it and kept using it for a month or two more. If i get a email saying something i was using was going to be banned i would have stopped using it that very day.

BittyBug

Disgusted
- She doesn't say anything about the amount in her blood; she can not reveal this info as it is an official one from WADA and ISU
From the NY Times article:
By the end of Wednesday, most high-profile Russian athletes who had tested positive for meldonium had said that their results fell below the one-microgram threshold. A trainer for a champion figure skater, Ekaterina Bobrova, said her results were “three or four times less."

Xela M

Of course it came AFTER they missed Worlds yet again... At least there's still a chance we'll see them in 2018

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm sorry but B/S knew back in September that this substance was being banned yet she still tested positive. Sounds to me like she just ignored it and kept using it for a month or two more. If i get a email saying something i was using was going to be banned i would have stopped using it that very day.
Sure you would. Even though everyone at that time was saying that it would be out of her system in a day or two and it was perfectly legal to take at that time.

If I knew I wasn't going to be tested until the end of Jan. (Euros) for a drug that wouldn't be illegal to take until Jan 1st and that supposedly exited the system in about 48 hours at most, I'd probably wait until late Nov., early Dec. to stop talking it. That would still give me about two month leeway which is 30x longer than people were told they needed. Given the amount in her system, I suspect that's what she did and I don't find that unreasonable at all.

Xela M

Does this mean our swimmer could be allowed to go to the Olympics or will it be too late for her?

MsZem

I see the sea
WADA's handling of the Meldonium ban has been really unfortunate. Placing a substance on the banned list because athletes are using under the impression that it might enhance performance and not because it actually enhances performance, not having enough research with regard to how long traces might be found in the body - no matter how well or how poorly WADA is funded, this is no way to fulfill its mission, and it may have the additional effect of making people wonder how careful they have been with regard to other substances.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
They will be in even more financial difficulties if all those athletes decide to sue them for damages.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
They will be in even more financial difficulties if all those athletes decide to sue them for damages.

I think WADA is covered on that front, as it says clearly in their rules that the athlete is totally responsible for any substances found in their urine.
The athletes were given plenty of warning and should've stopped the drugs in plenty of time to make sure they were completely out of their system by Jan 1st. I personally would've stopped taking such a drug as soon as it appeared on a list of drugs under surveillance!

hanca

Values her privacy
I think WADA is covered on that front, as it says clearly in their rules that the athlete is totally responsible for any substances found in their urine.
The athletes were given plenty of warning and should've stopped the drugs in plenty of time to make sure they were completely out of their system by Jan 1st. I personally would've stopped taking such a drug as soon as it appeared on a list of drugs under surveillance!
Yes, but the athletes can't be responsible for WADA not having done their research. You can't punish people for something they had done when it was legal. If the scientists manage to prove that the drug can stay in the system for, let's say, six months, then those athletes who were caught in January, only three months after WADA gave them notice, should have case. WADA needs to give enough notice that whatever they decided make illegal can leave athletes bodies. Otherwise it's like if the government made smoking illegal and started persecuting those who were smoking a year ago. Ridiculous! I'd WADA bans something, they should know exactly how long it stays in athletes body, otherwise it is a witch hunt. How can they prove that the athlete did something wrong? The athletes took something that was at that time legal.

D

Deleted member 40371

http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...s-lifted-after-testing-positive-for-meldonium

It seems Semon Elistraov and other skaters are cleared as Jeschke said, Semon had missed the world championships this year thanks to the stupidity of WADA.
WADA is getting constantly getting criticised over its handling of the Melodium issue.

The latest voice to add to the chorus of dissent was former SportAccord President Marius Vizer, who questioned Sir Craig about WADA's handling of the ban on meldonium during the Association of Summer Olympic International Federations General Assembly.
http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...ist-as-early-as-next-year-manufacturers-claim

C

casken

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information