RIP Alan Rickman

skatefan

Home in England
Oh my. I just love this guy, his ability to create so many different characters all believable whether bad or good or deliberately neither, I loved them all - I agree with Lorac that his sardonic Sheriff of Nottingham made the movie memorable. Sarcasm with a straight face but a laugh behind each line. Loved his Harry Potter character Snape as well. RIP Alan Rickman

skatemomaz

Resist
:( such a great and versatile actor. He brought Severus Snape to life in a way no other actor could have. His performance as Metatron in Dogma was another brilliant turn.

ioana

I always got excited whenever reruns of Robin Hood were on -horrible movie though it was- because Rickman's Sherriff was such a brilliant character. There were so many other characters he created over the years -all of them so different (Snape vs Cl Brandon), but always perfectly acted.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJk-yQadw_U

RIP :fragile:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
RIP :( :(

I think I am utterly shocked by this. I absolutely LOVED his Severus Snape.

Even though I hated Snape in the books until the reveal at the end I was never able to hate the movie Snape because it was Rickman. Just like a part of me liked him in Die Hard.

Thanks for this - my favorite part of the movies. When Dumbledore asked him "Lily - still?" And he says "always" I totally lost it.

Rob

Beach Bum
So sad. I didn't know he was fighting cancer. I too loved him in Sense and Sensibility and thought he was a great villain in Die Hard.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Just learning this sad and shocking news here on FSU. :wuzrobbed Alan Rickman had such a presence -- and such a voice! -- he will be truly and deeply missed. Truly, Madly, Deeply was the first role I remember seeing him in -- and like AYS, I will be rewatching Sense & Sensibility for his Col. Brandon. I agree with those who want a restart for 2016 -- he was 69 years old, the same age as David Bowie, and both of them succumbing to cancer -- evil disease! :( May they both rest in peace.

jenny12

:( RIP Alan Rickman. So many great performances and I especially loved him in Sense and Sensibility.

Cachoo

My favorite film this year happened to be a film he both starred in and directed: "A Little Chaos." It also has a beautiful soundtrack that will now always remind me of him. I'm glad he was able to make this film before cancer took him. https://youtu.be/R_SrxqawSYo
My favorite actress is not on social media but used another account to post:

"Alan was my friend and so this is hard to write because I have just kissed him good-bye. What I remember most in this moment of painful leave-taking is his humor, intelligence, wisdom and kindness. His capacity to fell you with a look or lift you with a word. The intransigence which made him the great artist he was---his ineffable and cynical wit, the clarity with which he saw most things, including me, and the fact that he never spared me the view. I learned a lot from him. He was the finest of actors and directors. I couldn't wait to see what he was going to do with his face next. I consider myself hugely privileged to work with him so many times and to have been directed by him. He was the ultimate ally. In life, art and politics, I trusted him absolutely. He was, above all things, a rare and unique human being and we shall not see his like again."

Emma Thompson

Last edited:

emason

One performance not mentioned I think is his odious churchman Slope in The Barchester Chronicles or whatever PBS called that series. Some of the antecedents of Snape are there.

Finnice

My favourite scene in S & S is when Marianne has woken up, and Colonel Brandon watches the happy scene from the door and is about to take his leave. Marianne then says: "Thank you, Colonel Brandon". His face after that is just so moving... I am going to watch it after dinner.

I just hear his voice in my ears.

viennese

wrecked
Awww.

He was wonderful. Was there any movie he wasn't delightful in? He had the most sexy insinuating voice. Like a lion's purr.

algonquin

I was sadden when I read this news this morning, he was one of my favourite actors. I loved, loved him in Sense & Sensiblity. As someone posted, I could watch that movie over & over just to watch him. Also, loved him in Galaxy Quest. Then there is Snape, so perfectly casted, so perfectly acted. RIP

Last edited:

Yehudi

AITA
It seems the third one happened, Celine Dion's music producer husband died of throat cancer.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
It seems the third one happened, Celine Dion's music producer husband died of throat cancer.

Another British actor, Brian Bedford, who voiced the title role in the Disney animated "Robin Hood", as well as having done much award-winning work on the British, Canadian and American stages, also has died.

Last edited:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Another British actor, Brian Blessed, who voiced the title role in the Disney animated "Robin Hood", as well as having done much award-winning work on the British, Canadian and American stages, also has died.
I think this is NOT true -- Brian Blessed just tweeted about Alan Rickman today, so ..... I am very much hoping that you misinterpreted something you heard or read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information