73rd Golden Globe Awards

vesperholly

It's such a great movie:D. @Allskate, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a comic book movie directed by Edgar Wright. Brie Larson's role was quite small but she was still fantastic in an already fantastic movie.
She didn't have any of the best lines but a good character. "Chicken isn't vegan?" :rofl:

manhn

I am all about Taraji. Everything else, I don't care about. But my Titanic shipper heart is happy to see Kate and Leo winning.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
The Revenant just looks like a bunch of snow, blood and yelling. Meh.
Someone I follow on Twitter described it as "two and a half hours of heavy breathing and being cold." Then followed it up with "If you like crawling, and panting, and snow, and more crawling, this is your movie."

That being said, no matter how much I like Emanuel Lubezki's cinematography and I adore Domhnall Gleeson, I'm still giving The Revenant a miss.

VGThuy

I need to see Room but I really wanted Saoirse Ronan to win Best Actress for Brooklyn. I thought what she did on screen was beautiful and very rare. Understated performances don't usually win these types of awards. The Golden Globes really have a hard-on for Jennifer Lawrence.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I really enjoyed Ricky tonight, learned a new fact his dad is Canadian!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Most of the best actor - comedy - nominees were in movies that were only borderline comedies -- The Big Short (Christian Bale and Steve Carrell), Danny Collins (Al Pacino)

Yeah, they need to think up a different category already and not push good movies left out of drama category to the comedy category when they are actually dramas that contain some humorous moments/ contexts. Right now too often the comedy category is used as a catch-all.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I always watch the major award shows- Oscars, Golden Globes and SAG (for acting awards).

I have not seen The Revenant, so I can't say if I was surprised by its dominance.

I have not seen the Room either, so again it's hard to say anything about Brie Larson's win, though I have read raves about her performance.

The two 'comedy' acting awards indicate that Jennifer Lawrence and Matt Damon are likely to get Oscar nominations. Hard to predict if they will win the big one, but I remember Gwyneth Paltrow winning the GG for SIL and then winning the Oscar.

I was surprised by Kate Winslet winning the supporting actress award. She was very very good in that movie (Steve Jobs) but I thought she was up against some tough competition. I was happy for her win though because I don't see her winning the Oscar this time, again due to the tough competition, and the fact that she already has one Oscar.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Overall I thought the Golden Globes program was boring, with incessantly long 'intro's and jokes that didn't sound funny to me. May be they did for those at the show. It is always different when you are in the audience. Didn't care for Ricky's emceeing at all. Just long winding speeches that didn't amount to much. His glass of beer was distracting, and I don't even drink beer.

Couple of winners used "I am speechless" while the music was playing to let them know they needed to shut up. :lol:

The 'comedy' category has become comedic because serious films are being pushed into it, just because they had a few humorous moments (or even more than a few). I would much rather see the number of nominees increased, if the Globes really wants to honor more films in each category (picture, and two lead acting awards). Why not nominate just 3 comedy films if there are not more? Also what happened to 'musical and comedy' category? May be there were no musicals this year?

Last edited:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I always watch the major award shows- Oscars, Golden Globes and SAG (for acting awards).

I have not seen The Revenant, so I can't say if I was surprised by its dominance.

I have not seen the Room either, so again it's hard to say anything about Brie Larson's win, though I have read raves about her performance.

The two 'comedy' acting awards indicate that Jennifer Lawrence and Matt Damon are likely to get Oscar nominations. Hard to predict if they will win the big one, but I remember Gwyneth Paltrow winning the GG for SIL and then winning the Oscar.

I was surprised by Kate Winslet winning the supporting actress award. She was very very good in that movie (Steve Jobs) but I thought she was up against some tough competition. I was happy for her win though because I don't see her winning the Oscar this time, again due to the tough competition, and the fact that she already has one Oscar.
I agree with you. I don't know if Kate Winslet will be able to repeat this at the Oscars because of how the studios been marketing Alicia Vikander and Rooney Mara for Supporting Actress instead of Lead Actress. Even though both roles are widely considered leading roles, or co-lead in Mara's case.

VGThuy

Maybe people were laughing at something else during Gaga's speech, but I felt a lot of people's reactions were...entertaining to say the least. I did love Leo laughing as she was walking and then being accidentally elbowed by her. His surprised reaction and continued laughter was hilarious.

vesperholly

Yeah, they need to think up a different category already and not push good movies left out of drama category to the comedy category when they are actually dramas that contain some humorous moments/ contexts. Right now too often the comedy category is used as a catch-all.
Yeah, "light entertainment" or some such.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is Leo considered a front runner now for the Best Actor Oscar? I like him but I really want Michael Fassbender to get it this year.

jeffisjeff

Jumping in to give the voters props from voting for Mr. Robot and for Christian Slater's performance in that show. I actually agree with them.

I hardly saw any of the Golden Globes last night, but somehow managed to see Mr Robot win. :cheer: The first season was so compelling!

Cachoo

The Revenant just looks like a bunch of snow, blood and yelling. Meh.

Don't forget the big, mostly CGI bear. I think Leo is a fine actor but I wonder if he is being rewarded for a nightmare "outward bound" experience more than anything else. And also that it is "his time."

About winning and being caught off-guard and being so surprised: Since you have been nominated shouldn't you prepare something to say on the off chance that you might win? I understand someone new, like Rachel Bloom, being caught by surprise. But Kate Winslet? This isn't her first rodeo. I love her but the "shock" doesn't feel sincere to me.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Don't forget the big, mostly CGI bear. I think Leo is a fine actor but I wonder if he is being rewarded for a nightmare "outward bound" experience more than anything else. And also that it is "his time."

About winning and being caught off-guard and being so surprised: Since you have been nominated shouldn't you prepare something to say on the off chance that you might win? I understand someone new, like Rachel Bloom, being caught by surprise. But Kate Winslet? This isn't her first rodeo. I love her but the "shock" doesn't feel sincere to me.

I thought it was sincere because there has been so much hype about Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander for a supporting actress award (although their roles are leads, IMO) that general expectation was for one of them to win. May be they canceled each other out? Even I was surprised when Kate W. won. Can this happen at Oscar time? I really don't like it when studios push some lead characters as supporting, just so they can win the Oscar.

Cachoo

I thought it was sincere because there has been so much hype about Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander for a supporting actress award (although their roles are leads, IMO) that general expectation was for one of them to win. May be they canceled each other out? Even I was surprised when Kate W. won. Can this happen at Oscar time? I really don't like it when studios push some lead characters as supporting, just so they can win the Oscar.

My beef with the Oscars is that they don't allow for a few more nominations in the major categories if the voting is very close. So one year they will have five and maybe another year the voting is spread out among six or seven. I don't see it as diluting the category but recognizing that there were many deserving performances that particular year. The women this year were strong so why force those two into the wrong category? That is just like sticking "The Martian" in comedy/musical at the Globes. That was ridiculous. I guess I should cut some slack for Kate.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My beef with the Oscars is that they don't allow for a few more nominations in the major categories if the voting is very close. So one year they will have five and maybe another year the voting is spread out among six or seven. I don't see it as diluting the category but recognizing that there were many deserving performances that particular year. The women this year were strong so why force those two into the wrong category? That is just like sticking "The Martian" in comedy/musical at the Globes. That was ridiculous. I guess I should cut some slack for Kate.

They never go beyond 5 for the acting awards, no matter how close the votes are. The Best picture nominations can vary from 5 to 10. I have seen more than 5 in songs, but never in acting awards. I would like them to expand the acting nominations just like they do for Best Picture.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information