73rd Golden Globe Awards

smurfy

Matt Damon wins Best Actor Motion Picture Comedy for "The Martian." (Can't wait for Gervais to again ridicule it for being classified as a comedy.)

I did guiltily enjoy get aid joke that Matt Damon was the only person Affleck did not cheat on.

peibeck

Simply looking
Sylvester Stallone wins Best Supporting Actor in a motion picture for "Creed"

Erm.... :scream:

Allskate

Yay for "Mozart in the Jungle" and Gael Garcia Bernal! I binge watched that show last summer and loved it. I've been saving the second series for when I have time to binge watch again.

ETA: For those who aren't familiar with "Mozart in the Jungle," it's an Amazon original.

peibeck

Simply looking
Aaron Sorkin wins screenplay for "Steve Jobs"

Gael Garcia Bernal wins Best Actor TV series Comedy for "Moozart in the Jungle"

Allskate

I saw Creed and thought Stallone was quite good, but I wanted Rylance to win.

I didn't see Creed, so I don't know who was better. I thought Rylance was fantastic in Bridge of Spies, but as soon as I realized he was in the same category as Stallone, I knew Rylance wouldn't win. Stallone is a big sentimental favorite. I can't feel too sorry for Rylance since did get nominated in two major categories. I'm sure he'll get more work as a result of his nominations.

jenny12

I didn't see Creed, so I don't know who was better. I thought Rylance was fantastic in Bridge of Spies, but as soon as I realized he was in the same category as Stallone, I knew Rylance wouldn't win. Stallone is a big sentimental favorite. I can't feel too sorry for Rylance since did get nominated in two major categories. I'm sure he'll get more work as a result of his nominations.

True. I saw both films and thought they were both strong performances. Stallone was quite touching as Rocky, but I thought Rylance's performance was more substantial. However, like you said, Stallone is the big sentimental favorite so no surprise here.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Lady Gaga? Really? Did she just push diCaprio's shoulder out of the way? :lol: That alone was worth her winning. You know, I haven't seen any of the shows so I can't comment on the win. I do think that Gaga probably would be a good actress--she has presence, she's well-spoken, and she understands what she sings but I'm just :eek: that she beat out that cast of women.

Queen Latifah's expressions were priceless. Also made Gaga's win worth it.

peibeck

Simply looking
Lady Gaga wins supporting actress for "American Horror Story: Hotel"

"Son of Saul" wins Best Foreign language film.

BigB08822

I only watched a few episodes of AHS: Hotel and I thought Gaga's acting was pretty bad but I suppose it got better? A lot of these wins are shocking to me because I haven't even heard of so many of these shows!! Not having cable does that to you, lol.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
They are really going towards the young and the trendy.

Gervais is really letting them have it tonight--not that they don't deserve it. I can't wait to find out what was actually said during the bleeps.

I am the only person on the planet who thought Mad Max was incredibly stupid. Well-acted, and visually stunning...but stupid.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
"The Writing's On the Wall" wins Best Song for "Spectre" :yawn:
I was surprised by that. I thought people hated that song. I know I thought it was boring, but I thought actual music critics did too.

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
"Mr. Robot" wins TV series Drama.

At least the winners have been unpredictable on the TV side. :lol:

vesperholly

Steve Jobs for best screenplay? Really? I thought it would go to Spotlight.

Me too. Maybe it'll have a better chance if nominated for an Oscar, since Steve Jobs is an adapted screenplay and Spotlight is original.

Ooh, Mr Robot! I have to move that up my priority watching list.

Allskate

I only watched a few episodes of AHS: Hotel and I thought Gaga's acting was pretty bad but I suppose it got better? A lot of these wins are shocking to me because I haven't even heard of so many of these shows!! Not having cable does that to you, lol.

I haven't seen a single one of the shows nominated for best drama. :lol: Though I do think at least one of them is on network tv.

I am the only person on the planet who thought Mad Max was incredibly stupid. Well-acted, and visually stunning...but stupid.

I found the movie boring.

Cachoo

Jumping in to give the voters props from voting for Mr. Robot and for Christian Slater's performance in that show. I actually agree with them.

Cachoo

Just catching up on some of the selections: Yes for Wolf Hall! (This doesn't usually happen with the shows I like.)

aftershocks

Banned Member
That was a really kickin' great tribute from Tom Hanks, and the clip package that was put together in honor of Denzel's amazing career was outstanding! Denzel really seemed overwhelmed and nearly at a loss for words. He seems such a humble and fiercely talented legend, and a great family man. :)

Even though Denzel didn't have his eyeglasses available to fully read his speech, I think his work and his life and his family speak volumes. Yay Denzel! :cheer2:

smurfy

That was a really kickin' great tribute from Tom Hanks, and the clip package that was put together in honor of Denzel's amazing career was outstanding! Denzel really seemed overwhelmed and nearly at a loss for words. He seems such a humble and fiercely talented legend, and a great family man. :)

I love that he brought his family up with him. Always seems like a classy guy, but fun too. He is aging well.

jenny12

Was hoping for George Miller or Ridley Scott for Best Director. Oh well.

I enjoyed Innaritu's speech though so good for him. He's obviously a great talent and I love his voice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information