Jeremy Abbott Uber Thread

centerpt1

I thought he showed a lot of fight and determination throughout. Love this FP. He's come so far over the last year.

It's a shame he wasn't "on" for Worlds. He's such a fine skater. Too fine to go out without a World medal.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I agree that he fought for that program. I love this LP and I agree with Peter C that he should keep it and perfect it. It is such a masterpiece of music and choreography and to ever see it skated flawlessly would be a skating fan's dream (well, it sure would be mine!). Jeremy, like Chan, is such a master of the blade and his flow and movement are just divine. And he's definitely too fine to go out without a World medal, I agree.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I didn't get to watch the men's LP but I was sad to find out that Jeremy didn't have the performance he was looking for. His LP is a gem, and I certainly wouldn't complain if Jeremy and his team decided to keep it for another year; such a fine program should have a lights out final performance. The injury of course did him no favors, which is unfortunate because I thought he was building quite well throughout the season, with his best hopefully to come at Worlds.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if he kept both programs. It's not often that a skater has two phenomenal competitive programs in the one season, and this year Jeremy had two of my favorite programs of the last five years, I'd have to say.

jlai

Question everything
I agree that he fought for that program. I love this LP and I agree with Peter C that he should keep it and perfect it. It is such a masterpiece of music and choreography and to ever see it skated flawlessly would be a skating fan's dream (well, it sure would be mine!). Jeremy, like Chan, is such a master of the blade and his flow and movement are just divine. And he's definitely too fine to go out without a World medal, I agree.

I love Jeremy, but I'm not sure if he'll win a world medal.

I've been a fan for some time, and to me Jeremy skates well when everything lines up right: the skates have no issues, practices go great, no major injuries, good skating order (meaning not skating after someone who skates lights out like after Dai and Brezina in Nice), no last minutes changes to jump layout, the US team not having a negative vibe, etc. etc.

A top level competitor normally can work through 2-3 of the above. Jeremy needs to learn how to deal with some of them. And when things don't go well, to notice the warning signs and fix them before they are big issues.

For me as a fan, this is a self discovery journey for Jeremy. Always has been. I love him, but have no problem letting him take a little heat because he does need to handle some of these issues if he's to be a world medalist or champion.

So yeah, I'm a tough-love fan. :)

centerpt1

I'm at the point where I think a World Medal is just not going to be for him. He has everything he needs , but something beyond his grasp is stopping him from achieving.

I wish we still had pro skating in the US, because he has so much to offer.

Then again, the rumored new pro competitions will require a World medal.....

Really a shame because I would rather watch Jeremy skate than most of the big names competing, save Takahashi and Kozuka.

I think he has tried numerous ways to handle the issues - but just can't. There's no shame in trying your best and just being unable. Sometimes you just hit the insurmountable.

dinakt

I think he has tried numerous ways to handle the issues - but just can't. There's no shame in trying your best and just being unable. Sometimes you just hit the insurmountable.

I agree. I think Jeremy has tried very hard, and so far it just was not meant to be, whatever reason. Lapses of concentration, bad luck, or perhaps tremendous pressure coming out of Nationas puts on the psyche- that it is hard for somebody with less than nerves of steel to rev up again after it. He had real chances in 2009, 2010 and 2012 to be on the Worlds podium. He had close-to-perfect performances those 3 years at big competitions, just not at Worlds.
I really hope he keeps skating as long as possible, because he is a unique artistic skater, who has already made his mark in skating, and can do more. I intend to just enjoy it.

skatesindreams

I haven't - and won't - "give up" on Jeremy!

One of the challenges for US skaters is that our Nationals is so competitive that often, a skater needs to "peak" just to make the World team, as Jeremy did.
Then, they must do it again; for recognition, medals, and position for the following season.

That's a lot to ask.

Last edited:

shine

Maybe Jeremy needs a talk with Carolina Kostner. Both are incredibly talented and artistic/sensitive, and appear to have shared a very similar growth path as athletes with many set backs and occasional flahses of brilliance from time to time that keeps fans hopeful. only Carolina seems to have defeated her inner demon and found peace from within in the last two seasons. I know the men's field is much more demanding, but I so hope Jeremy will have his own Kostner year sometime in the future. Watching Carolina makes me think that perhaps eternal headcases don't always have to be so.

Last edited:

centerpt1

It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the Sato/Dungjen camp once they've had time to debrief Worlds with their skaters. The only one that did as well as expected was Marchei.

jlai

Question everything
Sato camp really could use a strategist that could help athletes figure out which competitoins are important, which are okay to not do well, which to skip, when to stop interacting with fans, how to minimize distractions, etc. etc. I wish Jeremy has (or ever had) a coach with extensive world experience. Granted, I wouldn't want someone who police every aspect of an athlete's life, but at least someone who would make sure nothing would be a distraction.

I also wish Jeremy had had a few years skating under Weir or Lysacek's shadow as US #2 or #3 (that means not being national champion). He would have had some chance to do well at world without that added pressure.

Last edited:

Jammers

Sadly Jeremy just like Alissa and Mirai has the talent to be on the podium at Worlds but like them he's not the best competitor. All you have to do is see the look on their faces to know how they are going to do. They don't hide their nervousness well. Some call it puke face or Kerrigan face. :lol:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I agree. I think Jeremy has tried very hard, and so far it just was not meant to be, whatever reason. Lapses of concentration, bad luck, or perhaps tremendous pressure coming out of Nationas puts on the psyche- that it is hard for somebody with less than nerves of steel to rev up again after it. He had real chances in 2009, 2010 and 2012 to be on the Worlds podium. He had close-to-perfect performances those 3 years at big competitions, just not at Worlds.
I really hope he keeps skating as long as possible, because he is a unique artistic skater, who has already made his mark in skating, and can do more. I intend to just enjoy it.

ITA :respec:

centerpt: You mentioned rumors of new pro competitions. Do you know more? I think they are vastly limiting the talent pool (and opportunities for former eligible skaters) if they only plan to hire World medalists.

spikydurian

I love his SP. Very entertaining and a joy to watch and he befits the character so well. Footwork is very good too.

dinakt

As Jeremy stated that he might keep one of his programs next year ( in icenetwork article), I'm all curiosity- will it be SP or LP? Both are amazing programs; probably the best Jeremy has had up to date ( though I love most of his programs). My vote would be to keep the LP, as he has skated SP beautifully to its full potential, and LP- not quite, even at Nationals; and the LP is quite astounding. Still, a hard choice. Normally I do not like skaters repeating programs, but i wonder if in Jeremy's case it might be a good idea. He never repeats, and perhaps it is a good strategy to try. Ceratinly both of his programs are worth seeing again.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Could you link to the icenetwork article where Jeremy is quoted saying that he might keep one of this season's programs for next year?

Does anyone have music suggestion ideas for Jeremy? He's very musical and generally picks interesting music. If he keeps one of his programs, it is likely to be his fp. I would love to see him work again with dance choreographers too.

Bournekraatzfan

Jeremy's LP was my favourite of all the men this year...I was honestly choked up by the end of the program the first time I saw it...what he is able to do out there on that ice surface is just...I can't even find words. His attention to detail, his acute awareness of his body at every moment of the program, and the symbiotic relationship between his body and the music...stunning. I love the reaction he gets from the audience at the moment in his footwork when he stops...he really makes that part of the music--almost the interstices of the music--mean more complexly. This LP is a work of art and I hope he keeps it for another season.

I also hope he feels all the love and support from his fans.

centerpt1

^^ Could you link to the icenetwork article where Jeremy is quoted saying that he might keep one of this season's programs for next year?

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120404&content_id=27922204&vkey=ice_news

scroll down for part on Jeremy's thoughts on Worlds, his mental training, and keeping a program

His lack of success at the World level isn't for lack of trying....I think he just has more to overcome than most. It's as if the real competition isn't against other skaters-it's against himself.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks for linking the article, centerpt1. Either of Jeremy's programs this season would be good for him to use again. If he decides to keep the fp, then maybe he could rework Kathryn McSwain's Giselle number (with Roberto Campanella and Yuka) to make it CoP friendly for a sp. Or, he might keep his swing sp and rework the Giselle number for a fp, which might be better since McSwain's Giselle might be too similar in tone and choreo to use for a sp along with Muse as the fp. In this instance, he could then use a version of Muse for exhibitions.

Here is the McSwain program that Jeremy skated for a Young Choreographers competition two years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQHqNOAe_Zc

Sylvia

TBD
I didn't see a link to this March 25, 2012 pre-Worlds Detroit Free Press article by Jo-Ann Barnas posted earlier in this thread (even though he didn't skate the way he wanted to at Worlds, it's definitely still worth reading :)): http://www.freep.com/article/201203...ihp-in-France?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports
Excerpts:
From world ice dance champion Meryl Davis: "Jeremy to me is probably one of the most amazing performers I've been able to appreciate. He has an ability to express dance -- he feels every movement. It's his whole body. When I watch him, I get sucked into his performance."

Yuka Sato, who coaches Abbott with Jason Dungjen: "He's a true artist. He feels things and he enjoys the process of the project of creating whatever he's trying to perform."
Abbott's two competitive programs this season show the contrasting sides of his personality.

"My brother is a very private person -- especially around people he doesn't know," said Gwen Asmussen, 32, of Estes Park, Colo. "So when I watch him skate, it's like watching everything come out of him."
"The swing program is joyous, goofy," Abbott said between practice sessions at a coffee shop in Birmingham last week. "That's probably me, and that's why I connect with this program so well because when I think about myself, I really think I'm just goofy."
[On his FS to "Exogenesis: Symphony" by Muse:] "It's quieter and it really suits my skating well," Abbott said. "It's simple. I'm a complex person in the fact that I have so many aspects to me, but when it comes down to it, I'm kind of a simple guy."

Sato said: "It's soulful, it's musical -- it's him."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Also... Jeremy set a new ISU personal best SP score of 86.98 at World Team Trophy in Tokyo (3rd place; landed 3F+3T, 3A, 3Lz), eclipsing his previous PB of 83.54 at GP Rostelecom Cup in November 2011. :)

spikydurian

Also... Jeremy set a new ISU personal best SP score of 86.98 at World Team Trophy in Tokyo (3rd place; landed 3F+3T, 3A, 3Lz), eclipsing his previous PB of 83.54 at GP Rostelecom Cup in November 2011. :)

Congrats to Jeremy for a great skate and personal best score. Keep it up today!

Bournekraatzfan

Congratulations, Jeremy! :cheer:
and best of luck in the LP. Enjoy the competition, everyone:)

Kelvster

I know this is an appreciation thread, but I just gotta express my frustration (I am a fan). His wtt lp just kinda sums up his career so far ... Sigh! Can't he stop being such a headcase?!

Triple Butz

I know this is an appreciation thread, but I just gotta express my frustration (I am a fan). His wtt lp just kinda sums up his career so far ... Sigh! Can't he stop being such a headcase?!

Sometimes I think people on this forum forget just how difficult triple and quadruple jumps are. To say that the problem is simply being a headcase to me assumes that these skaters are hitting their jumps without any trouble in practice, which is a major stretch. For all we know, many of these skaters have dodgy practice run-throughs, and are just hoping to have a good day on the competition. Some skaters will just never achieve the kind of jumps that are automatic, and it is a combination of mental and physical strength to get there.

centerpt1

From the photos it looks like he's also got duct tape on at least one of his boots again. (and there were tweets in Japanese about ice on his ankle, or foot-but I was using google translation, so ?)

At this point I think he's reached the wall- the limit of his capability. He seems to train hard, both mentally and physically-but just can't get past it.

I love his skating and his creativity. He's very unique. I hope he stays in thru the Olympic season. He's still one of my 3 favorite male skaters.

He seems to have more to overcome than most when it comes to focus. I think he has courage to keep fighting and trying to improve.

Bournekraatzfan

Sometimes I think people on this forum forget just how difficult triple and quadruple jumps are. To say that the problem is simply being a headcase to me assumes that these skaters are hitting their jumps without any trouble in practice, which is a major stretch. For all we know, many of these skaters have dodgy practice run-throughs, and are just hoping to have a good day on the competition. Some skaters will just never achieve the kind of jumps that are automatic, and it is a combination of mental and physical strength to get there.

I agree. What these skaters are being asked to do under COP is incredibly difficult. I believe that is why we don't see a lot of consistency in the men's event. Jeremy is attempting very difficult jumps within programs that are very intricate and difficult in terms of their layout and choreography. I believe he is mentally tough in that, despite some disappointing results, he still hangs in there. I have so much respect for him for trying to improve and I hope he is able to skate his best at worlds next year. I still believe in him. but no matter what the result, I will always love his skating. He simply is a pleasure to watch:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information