Cachoo

What is your favorite sandwich?
a. Chain restaurant sandwich
b. Local restaurant
c. What you make for yourself at home

My choices:
a. Jersey Mike's #13 (Mike's Way)
b. Hog Wild BBQ pulled pork Carolina style
c. I love eggs so egg sandwiches are a regular for me..

Japanfan

I don't eat sandwiches out, excepting the odd Subway sandwich, which is never remarkable.

At home, my favorite is egg/avocado salad. Followed by a club, with real turkey (not processed, usually roasted for holidays).

And I think I have had a pulled pork sandwich only once, but it was delicious.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I would like a cheese sandwich right now. ETA very simple, just good bread (whole grain) and good cheese. I've got the bread right now, but not the cheese. :wuzrobbed

I'm not much for eating out but there's a local place that has a veggie reuben that I love!

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The London Broil sandwich here is the best sandwich I've tried recently. (I got it without the provolone.) Fellow DC-area residents, take note! :)

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
a, Subway Veggie Sandwich - definitely associated with trips to skating events.

b. A local place makes a yummy meatball parmigiana hero

c. Mozzarella, tomato and basil on some local breads.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I'm not a big sandwich person (or bread in general)

Subway - ham and provolone cheese, with lettuce/red onion/tomato/black olives/oil/vinegar/salt/pepper and oregano on a 6 inch Italian hoagie

Little Kings - what used to be known as their #11. Salami, ham, prusicoto, Genova salami, provolone cheese, onion/lettuce/tomato, add black olives,, oil/vinegar and I am not sure all the spices on a 6 inch white hoagie

As I said im not fond of bread, but at home will have a variety cheeses (love to find all sorts of interesting ones) and different sliced meats. I like with a foccitta (sp?) bread dipped in balsamic/herbs olive oil. Add olives of various sorts. (Definitely not a sandwich though, individual nibbles of each, awesome with a glass of red blend). Yummy!

Last edited:

attyfan

I haven't had a chain restaurant sandwich in I don't know how long. Local restaurants ... one (Aloha Steakhouse in Ventura) does a Philly cheesesteak that my husband and I can split -- along with a beach view; another (Danny's Deli) does proper cold cut sandwiches -- on rye, with lots of meat!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Just say no to sandwiches! :mitchell:

Except for maybe hamburgers. Though I don't think they count.

:D

MsZem

I see the sea
Just say no to sandwiches! :mitchell:
Yes, we are in agreement. Sandwiches are either a waste of perfectly good bread, or use subpar bread which is a waste of calories. And most things that come in sandwiches are better outside the sandwich (assuming they are edible to begin with).

skategal

Bunny mama
I love Grilled cheese sandwiches and also Pulled Pork is a big favourite even though I don’t have the opportunity to get it often.

gkelly

At Subway I get the veggie pattie sandwich. With mustard and veggies.

At Corner Bakery (walking distance from my home) I get the tomato and mozzarella sandwich.

Sometimes lately I buy fresh mozzarella and basil at a farmer's market and make something similar at home. Usually with sliced sourdough.

In the past year I've had homemade sandwiches several times a week, often for breakfast.

My go-to options are
1) peanut butter with roasted mushrooms and onions or other roasted vegetables, plus arugula or spinach or baby kale plus ground pepper and fresh basil and/or rosemary if I have some. This needs a hearty bread, either something whole grain with seeds, or a bagel.
2) sharp cheddar with dijon mustard, lettuce (or spinach), tomato, cucumber, maybe a little onion, any of the above bread types -- this is what I'll ask for if I or someone else will be buying sandwiches from a general deli

ETA: A few weeks ago I bought a cilantro-lemon pesto at a farmer's market that makes the cheese sandwich even better than with mustard

Edit again: I didn't mean roasted mushrooms etc., I meant grilled. I grill them on my countertop George Forman grill. An outdoor grill would also work but would be more labor intensive. However, if you don't have a grill then roasted would also be good, as long as the veggies aren't oilier than the peanut butter.

Last edited:

PeterG

a. Chain restaurant sandwich - Subway's chicken bacon ranch sandwich on flatbread and BBQ sauce instead of ranch dressing. Mmm!

b. Local restaurant - Just down the street from me is a place called "Home Restaurant" and they have a FANTASTIC clubhouse sandwich. Plus instead of fries, you can get shredded hash browns. So good!

c. What you make for yourself at home - I don't make sandwiches at home often, but my tuna sandwich is pretty good when I do. :)

clairecloutier

I'm not a big sandwich person. I don't like regular deli meat sandwiches much at all.

An exception is BLTs. I do like a good BLT, especially when I'm out to eat (easier than making them at home).

Other sandwiches that I like occasionally are grilled cheese (but not with American cheese), a chicken salad sandwich (if it's good-quality chicken salad), and a hot Reuben. I used to go to a place that made a grilled honey ham & Swiss sandwich with orange-flavored mayonnaise. That was good.

At home, I make a type of peanut butter sandwich sometimes on whole wheat bread.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My favorite- home made peanutbutter jelly.

outside- Subway Veggie sandwich. Other than that, not really a fan of sandwiches.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And most things that come in sandwiches are better outside the sandwich (assuming they are edible to begin with).
Yes!
I love Grilled cheese sandwiches
Okay there are exceptions to every rule. :D

I pretty much never eat sandwiches at home. When I go out, if it's a sandwich kind of place, I'll have a bacon cheeseburger or a Philly Cheesesteak. (Though, again, I don't consider these to be sandwiches.). At 5 guys, I'll have a bacon cheeseburger with grilled onion and mushrooms with BBQ sauce. Yum.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I don’t generally do fast food or sandwiches when dining out but when I do this is what I get.
a. Lion’s Choice roast beef mushroom and Swiss with horseradish (not a year round item)
b. Mudbug Mobile Madness Gulf Coast Redfish Po’Boy or
Bun Mee Phan’s Chinese BBQ pork on a beignet
c. Grilled cheese (Swiss or provolone) or BLT with fresh tomatoes and basil from our garden

Judy

I love sandwiches .. if I am out for lunch I normally love wraps! Sandwiches are usually more at home for me. Love egg sandwich, Turkey sandwiches .. ham and cheese .. chicken and mayo sandwiches ..

Japanfan

Yes, we are in agreement. Sandwiches are either a waste of perfectly good bread, or use subpar bread which is a waste of calories. And most things that come in sandwiches are better outside the sandwich (assuming they are edible to begin with).
If you eat processed meats in a sandwich, as many people do, they are not better outside the sandwich. They need the bread and dressing (e.g. mayonaisse). Mortadella comes to mind - not something I eat or put in a sandwich, but many people do. I can't imagine eating mortadella on it's own just for enjoyment.

But I don't think sandwiches are a waste of bread. In fact, I pretty much only eat bread when I make a sandwich. I do like a a super fresh toasted bagel with cream salmon cheese - otherwise toasted whole wheat that we have on hand that has gotten stale.

A hero sandwich in fresh crusty bread is truly divine, IMHO.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If you eat processed meats in a sandwich, as many people do, they are not better outside the sandwich.
Then they aren't worth eating! (Likewise, if the bread requires butter or condiments to be edible, it's not worth eating either.)

Though I personally will grab a cheese stick and roll a piece of roast beef around it. Roast beef is always worth eating whether in a sandwich or outside of one.

Spun Silver

I don't eat sandwiches often and it's hard to get good vegetarian ones in restaurants (thanks for the Subway tip) so I vote for homemade. My favorite is broiled eggplant (that's coated with Parmesan) and sliced tomato on French bread with a spread made of equal parts mustard and mayo with chopped garlic mixed in. It's from a book called Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin. Not something I would ever have dreamed up on my own, and totally deliclous.

But my second favorite is my own: a wrap with sun dried tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, cheese, hummus and/or avocado if I have them, with a little Ranch or Parmesan dressing. The only "must" ingredients are the sun-dried tomatoes and the white dressing (which I never touch otherwise, but hubby loves it so it's always around) - everything else is whatever I happen to have in the fridge.

MsZem

I see the sea
I love Grilled cheese sandwiches...

Okay there are exceptions to every rule. :D
I too will make this exception.

If you eat processed meats in a sandwich, as many people do, they are not better outside the sandwich.
I'm a vegetarian. And even before I became one, processed meat was not really my thing.

Veggies (fresh or roasted), cheese, peanut butter - all better without being attached to bread.

Spun Silver

Oh yeah - grilled Swiss and tomato on whole wheat bread is wonderful!

I am trying to decide if I have the nerve to try @gkelly 's version of a peanut butter sandwich. I have never tried mixing peanut butter with vegetables but I'm intrigued.

sk9tingfan

Romanian hot pastrami on real Jewish ryebread with deli mustard. From a vegetarian perspective, for me, a Swiss cheese and ripe heirloom tomato sandwich on quality bread with mayonnaise, salt and pepper is great.

Anemone

I don't buy sandwiches from a restaurant very often, but there is a bagel place within walking distance of my workplace. Fresh bagels made in a proper wood-burning oven. That is one place I will buy a sandwich. They make a really nice roasted chicken breast sandwich (which is made with a proper roasted chicken breast, not sliced deli meat) with roasted red pepper which I will sometimes buy.
At home, I do like a toasted tomato or BLT, preferably on a good sourdough or rye bread. Once in a while I will do a grilled cheese.

Susan1

What is your favorite sandwich?
a. Chain restaurant sandwich
b. Local restaurant
c. What you make for yourself at home

a. The best thing I used to get was the Hot Sicilian at Friday's - ham, pepperoni, bacon, melted mozzarella and oil, basically a sub on a hamburger bun. You could even order it after it was off the menu. Now we don't have a Friday's at all.
b. I think I have a theme - Ron's sub (no bacon - just ham and salami and cheese and peppers on the best sub buns in the world)
c. Grilled cheese

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
a. Subway's tuna salad sandwich is one of my favorites from them - and I don't put anything on there. Bread and tuna salad, that's it.

b. Local restaurant Shoeless Joe's makes some tasty sandwiches, especially their Chicken BLT sandwich (Grilled chicken breast, provolone & cheddar cheeses, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and cajun ranch dressing served on multigrain toast.)

c. I get tired of homemade sandwiches, and tend to eat the meat and cheese by itself without bread and spread. However, I once roasted veggies and served them on a toasted bun with a spread of goat cheese. So good.

Moto Guzzi

I like Subway's BMT but it's been at least a year since I've had one. If I order a sandwich at a restaurant, it's usually a Reuben.

At home I make grilled cheese sandwiches with cheddar cheese. I add tomatoes and dill pickles. I also cook Morning Star veggie burgers and add cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and pickles. If I have lettuce on hand, I add that to my sandwiches. Today's lunch was a chicken and cheddar cheese sandwich. I bought a rotisserie chicken for Sunday's dinner and had some slices left.

Susan1

I like Subway's BMT but it's been at least a year since I've had one. If I order a sandwich at a restaurant, it's usually a Reuben.

At home I make grilled cheese sandwiches with cheddar cheese. I add tomatoes and dill pickles. I also cook Morning Star veggie burgers and add cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and pickles. If I have lettuce on hand, I add that to my sandwiches. Today's lunch was a chicken and cheddar cheese sandwich. I bought a rotisserie chicken for Sunday's dinner and had some slices left.
I don't even remember where we were (not a chain, maybe a hotel restaurant somewhere?), but they had grilled cheese with three different kinds of cheese on it. What adult orders a grilled cheese sandwich in a restaurant? Me. It was fantastic. Cheddar is my favorite. I used to get cheddar on cheeseburgers when there was a choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information