Will there be a US Nationals in 2025?

Status
Not open for further replies.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
The facility will want money from USFS to block out the dates. And there’s the not so small matter of cancellation insurance. The lawyers get VERY busy before a date/location can be announced.
Absolutely. It's not just just the 4 or 5 days of junior and senior events that tie up the arena. It's a 8 or more day commitment the arena management provides.

In the case of my city - there are sports teams, concerts (which are scheduled out to 2025 and beyond), conventions, and annual events - like new car shows to plan around. Our Division 1 basketball team that calls the arena home needs to coordinate with the NCAA and divisions schedules.

No city will hold open an arena unless there is some upfront monies, cancelation insurance, etc.

peibeck

Simply looking
This thread has me baffled, why would there not be a nationals? Has the sport dried up? I mean US women’s competition alone next year looks to be the best in a long time.

BUT... Amber would be the FOREVER champion if they never happen again. :p

I've gotten so accustomed to SA being announced in May or later these past few years, I'd totally forgotten they hadn't announced a spot for Nationals. :slinkaway If for no other reason than I don't want to read all the :mitchell:, I hope they don't all end up in the same time zone. I'm sure I'm not doing Nationals, but I may consider SKAM if it's somewhere I'd like to visit (or re-visit).

Carolla5501

Maybe USFS is having trouble finding some place willing to suspend belief and give them what they want for the non-existent "Return on investment" Seriously, they seem to still think this is the Nancy/Tonya/Michelle era and want people to bend over backwards for them.

Personally I think they are shooting themselves in the foot here. The group that travels (like I often do) is investing in Boston and they aren't trying to grab any of the money for Nationals.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Maybe USFS is having trouble finding some place willing to suspend belief and give them what they want for the non-existent "Return on investment" Seriously, they seem to still think this is the Nancy/Tonya/Michelle era and want people to bend over backwards for them.
This is doubtful. Do you know anyone in a decision-making position at USFS? The ones I know are very aware that LOCs don't want to put on these events and that the real issue is finding anyone interested at all regardless of the terms. Where do you think all the changes to qualifying came from? It was a response to the reality that putting these events is expensive and there isn't much ROI.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
:sekret: Nationals will NOT be in Florida but in a very mid-sized midwest city (population barely over 100k). Announcement in early April.

I don't have any info on dates, only that Florida was VETO'd for (I'm assuming) a more cost friendly market.
Hmmmmm... how much of a cost savings is there if the smaller city is harder to get to for fans? Or is the USFS operating on the assumption (probably correct) that fans will choose Worlds over Nats next year so they are better off going with a smaller city and a smaller/cheaper arena?

peibeck

Simply looking
Hmmmmm... how much of a cost savings is there if the smaller city is harder to get to for fans? Or is the USFS operating on the assumption (probably correct) that fans will choose Worlds over Nats next year so they are better off going with a smaller city and a smaller/cheaper arena?

Again, I'm assuming it is a bigger savings on venue location. The arena typically holds around 12k max for basketball (probably lose 1k for KnC, judges, VIPs, etc. for skating) which tells me, the USFS wasn't expecting gangbuster crowds with a US Worlds in the same year anyway.

Karen-W

Again, I'm assuming it is a bigger savings on venue location. The arena typically holds around 12k max for basketball (probably lose 1k for KnC, judges, VIPs, etc. for skating) which tells me, the USFS wasn't expecting gangbuster crowds with a US Worlds in the same year anyway.
Makes sense and is a smart strategy, all things considered, even if a lot of fans won't like the location.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
honestly this kind of thinking may be super smart. I told my husband we are going to one thing next year be it skam, us nats, or worlds, but obviously I'm pushing for worlds. A smaller arena filled up will be better for skaters than a larger one that's half-empty.

peibeck

Simply looking
Makes sense and is a smart strategy, all things considered, even if a lot of fans won't like the location.

honestly this kind of thinking may be super smart. I told my husband we are going to one thing next year be it skam, us nats, or worlds, but obviously I'm pushing for worlds. A smaller arena filled up will be better for skaters than a larger one that's half-empty.

I guess we will see. I know people initially groused about the SKAM location last fall and that turned out. We can cross our fingers and see if the same happens with Nationals. I'll try and scope out some info and see if any divulge any more details.

skategal

Bunny mama
My guesses:

Moline, Illinois
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Do I win a prize if I’m right? :lol:

ETA

Grand Forks North Dakota is my third guess. They had the World Junior Hockey recently.

Last edited:

Karen-W

My guesses:

Moline, Illinois
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Do I win a prize if I’m right? :lol:

ETA

Grand Forks North Dakota is my third guess. They had the World Junior Hockey recently.
Moline is part of the Quad Cities and that metro area's population is well over 100k - Moline itself is less than 50k.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I guess we will see. I know people initially groused about the SKAM location last fall and that turned out. We can cross our fingers and see if the same happens with Nationals. I'll try and scope out some info and see if any divulge any more details.
Hopefully somewhere I could drive to!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It’s between a 2.5-3 hour drive from O’Hare to Moline, although traffic would impact that.

If they were really aggressive, they’d arrange transit from O’Hare, or maybe even the S-word from quad cities hotels to and from the arena :shuffle:

acraven

I asked AI-driven CoPilot which Midwest US arenas have a seating capacity around 12,000 and are in cities with a population around 100,000. It didn't go well. I got three responses; the arenas are in Hampton (Virginia), Seattle and Bridgeport (Connecticut). CoPilot is more geographically challenged than the typical human American.

Edited to add: I pushed back on the geography and was given three new possibilities:
Des Moines (Iowa), Kalamazoo (Michigan) and Carbondale (Illinois).

Karen-W

I asked AI-driven CoPilot which Midwest US arenas have a seating capacity around 12,000 and are in cities with a population around 100,000. It didn't go well. I got three responses; the arenas are in Hampton (Virginia), Seattle and Bridgeport (Connecticut). CoPilot is more geographically challenged than the typical human American.
Here is my starting point...

peibeck

Simply looking
It’s between a 2.5-3 hour drive from O’Hare to Moline, although traffic would impact that.

If they were really aggressive, they’d arrange transit from O’Hare, or maybe even the S-word from quad cities hotels to and from the arena :shuffle:

I don't recall any fan shuttles from JFK/LGA/EWR to Lake Placid, but keep dreaming. :rofl:

Karen-W

Okay... Midwest cities with arenas that have a hockey capacity in the 10-14k range and a population of around 100k -
Peoria IL

Coming in at around 70k in population is this St Louis suburb though their arena's hockey capacity is just under 10k.
St Charles MO

Midwest cities with a population around 100k but the arena only has a capacity of 8-10k -
Evansville IN
Green Bay WI

If I was choosing from one of those options, I'd go with St Charles MO since it's basically like Plano is to Dallas.

Last edited:

Lizziebeth

:sekret: Nationals will NOT be in Florida but in a very mid-sized midwest city (population barely over 100k). Announcement in early April.

Hopefully somewhere I could drive to!
that's exactly what I was thinking! I wonder what the USFSA definition of Midwest is? Flyoverland????

My town has a university with an olympic sized hockey rink but its not fancy and only seats 6000. I am really in flyover land lol

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Omaha is definitely larger than 100,000 but I highly doubt Omaha would consider hosting again, especially when Worlds is in NA. They didnt get assistance from USFS like was suggested they would. Particularly when Omaha can get first round NCAA bids with filled arenas. NCAA Volleyball Final Four. Olympic Curling Tryouts, even the select team volleyball tournament fill convention center.

Larger cities would have to think about Boston Worlds in the risk formulas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information