Will there be a US Nationals in 2025?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livetoskate

I would love to go to nationals, but to me it's most important to be able to get from the airport to the arena & hotels easily/safely without renting a car. I'll definitely plan on being in Boston for Worlds.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm not the person who said the town was aggressively trying to attract this event.
Aggressively pursuing might be the difference between offering transport and not, especially in a year where many fans will choose Boston Worlds over US Nationals.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Has nationals ever been in Indianapolis? I know it has more than 100K, but when I thought of previous Midwest locations, I wondered.

My first thought was, of course, Ann Arbor, LOL.

Maybe they figured out how to put an ice rink in Crisler Arena. :D

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Per Google:

The nearest airport to Peoria is Peoria (PIA) Airport which is 5.7 miles away. Other nearby airports include Bloomington (BMI) (38.5 miles), Moline (MLI) (71.4 miles), Quincy (UIN) (100 miles) and Chicago Midway (MDW) (122.9 miles).

...major airlines that fly to PIA are American, Allegiant and United

(O'Hare isn't too much farther than Midway.)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
While we're speculating... With a Midwest location for Nats and Worlds in Boston, I'm guessing SkAm will be somewhere on the West Coast.

Smaller arenas similar to Plano with good/close access to a major international airport -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_the_Winds_Arena - Everett WA (Sea-Tac)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accesso_ShoWare_Center - Kent WA (also Sea-Tac)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Arena - Ontario CA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_CU_Arena - San Jose CA

I think San Jose is probably the least likely of those options since Nationals was just held there in 2023. Everett or Kent would be a good option to draw from all over the PNW as well as western Canada if the rumors about SCI being in Halifax are correct. I can really see the USFS going for a major market venue in LA for 2026 Nats which might rule Ontario out for SkAm in the near future.

Karen-W

Ontario 2011 was very empty, simply because of the fact that nobody advertised it at all. Even in a part of the country, where we have a lot of rinks, nobody knew what was going on. I kind of hope itā€™s not in Ontario againā€¦
That's one thing I get the sense Tracy Marek understands and realizes. Skate America and 2024 Nationals are the first major events held since she became CEO - and notice how successful they've been, especially at the local marketing that gets the word out there and gets people in the seats.

Carolla5501

This is doubtful. Do you know anyone in a decision-making position at USFS? The ones I know are very aware that LOCs don't want to put on these events and that the real issue is finding anyone interested at all regardless of the terms. Where do you think all the changes to qualifying came from? It was a response to the reality that putting these events is expensive and there isn't much ROI.
Nope but I read the request for "bids" and know people who work for "sports authorities/tourist agencies etc" for a couple of cities They won't touch this event because there's no return. So while USFS may be "well aware" they still want lots of "freebies and money spend"

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Ontario 2011 was very empty, simply because of the fact that nobody advertised it at all. Even in a part of the country, where we have a lot of rinks, nobody knew what was going on. I kind of hope itā€™s not in Ontario againā€¦

Same I am in LA and I did not attend

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Nope but I read the request for "bids" and know people who work for "sports authorities/tourist agencies etc" for a couple of cities They won't touch this event because there's no return. So while USFS may be "well aware" they still want lots of "freebies and money spend"
They also make "promises" on what the exposure and event will bring to the city. You can only lie to so many cities before they do a quick NO

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
I doubt Ontario would even consider it if asked, from my understanding they had a bitter taste in their mouth after SkAm2011.

AnnM

This is true re: advertisement, however, it was also long before Great Park Ice was opened. With a minimal amount of effort, they could pull in a substantial crowd from that skating program alone. But who knows if the effort would be made? Another issue, which is still an issue, is the lack of hotels within easy walking distance. The closest hotels that anyone should actually stay at are a 20-30 minute walk away and public transportation is dismal.

I went to Ontario SkAm as it was 15 minutes away from home, so I wouldn't be mad if it were chosen again. šŸ˜‰ But I doubt it ever will.

lexeoe

Has nationals ever been in Indianapolis? I know it has more than 100K, but when I thought of previous Midwest locations, I wondered.

My first thought was, of course, Ann Arbor, LOL.

Maybe they figured out how to put an ice rink in Crisler Arena. :D
Indy hosted Nats 1982.

alizadavida

There are 2 (large to me) skating competitions for non high level skaters in San Jose - State Games of America and National Showcase. Could they use that rink? Also I know the Excel festival is at SCOB, but with Worlds being in Boston I think it will be on the west coast.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
A lot of the cities mentioned don't fit peibeck description
Less than 100,000 population and midwest.

Karen-W

Sorry - I thought we were talking Nationals
We were and then I tossed in some speculation about Skate America since we have a general regional idea of the Nats location and, of course, we know Boston is a factor.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I thought about Wichita since it has hosted US Adult Nationals. But population is ~650,000. It has a smaller airporrt

Jonas

Isabeau Levito, Ava-Marie Ziegler, and Lindsay Thorngren are Jersey Girls, so I'd love for Skate America to come back to NJ! I imagine booking The Rock during hockey season will be tricky (and expensive!). Trenton's got a mid-size arena, but the area offers little at night. So, specifically, I'd love for it to come back to Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City -- historic venue and there's plenty of accommodations, eateries, and activities on the Boardwalk even on a late October evening!

Your thoughts...

Carolla5501

So... My bets on Skate America

1. The Broadmore AKA as "it's in our backyard and we can normally bully them into it"
2. Orleans Las Vegas (the hockey team that was using that arena has moved on so it's probably open)
3. Lake Placid - Another place that seems to be easy for USFS to book

I think those of you looking for "geographic diversity" probably are not really on the same page as USFS. This year will be tough for them to sell three events. SA may be the "ugly stepchild" of the group..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information