Who is still watching Moulin Rouge

gkelly

I opened the thread wondering which Moulin Rouge program(s) it was referring to and prepared to snark, based on the nonspecific title, that watching the movie once was enough for me.

Once I saw that the thread was for fans of a particular dance team to gush about a favorite program, I lost interest.

I'm entirely neutral about ice dance results. But I do care about precision in thread titling.

elisa_p

I am totally still watching it much more regularly than I'd like to admit. Honestly in terms of pure chero and music choice, it's not my favourite V/M FD and I was totally worried for them but the way they performed it at the Olys was SO spectacular. It made me such a fan of this program and it's honestly probably my fav V/M performance of all time which is saying a lot! Also. I think they should have placed first in the FD but that's a whole other topic for another day.

MsZem

I see the sea
It isn't PCuniverse without someone over 40 with a picture of a ballet dancer or cat trying to throw "witty" shade at V/M, LOL. Like ok mary sue and aunt Judy we get it, V/M aren't Ethereal enough for you or aren't emulating the art of DANSE!!1 if they ever ventured out of this site and onto platforms like figure skating stan twitter, Tumblr and youtube they would have a heart attack from all the criticism P/C get on those sites and how loved V/M are.
This is FSU. I'll leave that to the underage crowd.

I'm kind of sad Michelle Kwan never skated to Moulin Rouge.

There, every thread eventually leads to MK.
Wearing purple?

Japanfan

That is also one of my all-time favourites and I always start tearing up at exactly the same point in the program every time I watch it, even though I've rewatched it at least 100 times (and that's probably a vast understatement).

Is that the point when he puts her down from the last lift and they raise their arms?

That's the point where I start crying. The expression on their faces is one of rapture, and IIRC, the whole audience rises at the moment he puts her down from the lift.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
It isn't PCuniverse without someone over 40 with a picture of a ballet dancer or cat trying to throw "witty" shade at V/M, LOL. Like ok mary sue and aunt Judy we get it, V/M aren't Ethereal enough for you or aren't emulating the art of DANSE!!1 if they ever ventured out of this site and onto platforms like figure skating stan twitter, Tumblr and youtube they would have a heart attack from all the criticism P/C get on those sites and how loved V/M are.

:rofl::gallopin1

screech

There will soon be a new version of Moulin Rouge to skate to, as it's coming to Broadway in 2019. The musical is doing it's out of town tryouts in Boston this summer, before opening in New York next year. They've already released a music video for the new version of Come What May

I'm a huge fan of Aaron Tveit (who is playing Christian), but I'm not loving his version of the song, and kind of wish they had included Karen Olivo (who is playing Satine) in the song too. I feel like this version lacks a lot of the impact. Hopefully the official soundtrack (when it's released) has a bit more oomf, and maybe we'll see some new Moulin Rouge songs on the ice.

But as for the intent of the thread, the performance in the individual event at the Olympics was the first time I enjoyed V/M's Moulin Rouge, and I definitely watched it multiple times.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
You were hoodwinked into opening a thread about Moulin Rouge on a figure skating board because you really truly for reals thought someone wanted to talk about the film and not about the World and Olympic champions program??
:shuffle: I legit had no idea this was about a specific skating team's program. And I definitely still watch Moulin Rouge (the film).

If I were going to seek out a MR skating program, I'd probably look for Weaver/Poje's FD from several years ago. That was the first time I thought they really came into their own. I've only seen V/M's Moulin Rouge program once, and it was from much earlier in the season (didn't watch ice dance at Olys and I guess not Worlds either).

Skate Talker

I am totally still watching it much more regularly than I'd like to admit. Honestly in terms of pure chero and music choice, it's not my favourite V/M FD and I was totally worried for them but the way they performed it at the Olys was SO spectacular. It made me such a fan of this program and it's honestly probably my fav V/M performance of all time which is saying a lot! Also. I think they should have placed first in the FD but that's a whole other topic for another day.
This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly, (assuming "chero" was actually supposed to be "choreo"). I am not watching it as frequently now but still keep it on my pvr for quick access on the big screen. Also always watch all the reactions and results too for the complete experience of the moment.

Before the Oly performances of MR I would have gone with Valse Triste, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Carmen, and my imagination of what Pink Floyd could have been if Tessa had been healthy that year. All of those would have placed ahead of the pre-Oly versions of Moulin Rouge.

Japanfan

I still watch it weekly. Despite MR not being my favorite program of them, their Olympic performance was just out of this world. I know that Tessa and Scott say that perfection doesn't exist in ice dancing but they came pretty close on that day.

OTE="Skate Talker, post: 5367624, member: 1768"]This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly, (assuming "chero" was actually supposed to be "choreo"). I am not watching it as frequently now but still keep it on my pvr for quick access on the big screen. Also always watch all the reactions and results too for the complete experience of the moment.

Before the Oly performances of MR I would have gone with Valse Triste, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Carmen, and my imagination of what Pink Floyd could have been if Tessa had been healthy that year. All of those would have placed ahead of the pre-Oly versions of Moulin Rouge.[/QUOTE]

I still prefer Valse Triste and Pink Floyd to MR, and also Mahler.

But I agree that their Olympic performance of MR was really, really special. I've watched it numerous times but don't know whether I'll continue to re-watch it on the (rare) occasions when I watch old favorite programs.

VGThuy

I'm far from a V/M hater as they are my second favorite team of all-time after Klimova/Ponomarenko and between P/C and V/M, I wanted V/M to win though I really do appreciate P/C and what they have brought and are bringing to ice dance. That said, I'm seriously not pretending when I say when I first opened this thread, I suspected it was about V/M but I also seriously thought it could have been about the movie. I also don't see why this thread can't be a discussion of other MR programs. Yukari Nakano has my fave non-ice dance routine to MR, but I admit I'm not the biggest MR fan out there...which is why I'm so impressed with what V/M was able to do to me with their program.

Tavi

You were hoodwinked into opening a thread about Moulin Rouge on a figure skating board because you really truly for reals thought someone wanted to talk about the film and not about the World and Olympic champions program??
Ahahahahaha.....yeah right.

I don’t really follow ice dance. I frankly had no idea what this thread was about before I opened it. I’m sorry I did.

manhn

I used to watch it a TON but not so much nowadays. But I am not really watching any skating these days.

Loved the movie, btw.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The fact that anyone here is pretending that they couldn't tell what this thread was going to be about (at this point in time, in this particular off-season) is pretty comical. :lol:

Um, I totally thought this was going to be about how the skating community needs to update their popular culture mainstays and use more recent music.

It makes more sense to me, since this is the time of the year when skaters are selecting their music.

VGThuy

It's funny because some of the biggest hits from the Olympics by the regular folks were from music choices the fans on the forums have been bashing for being "common", not cool enough, or whatever. Moulin Rouge is included in that.

feraina

I’m less into ice dancing than the other disciplines, but Mahler and P/T’s winning pairs FS were the only programs I watched over and over after 2010. And MR is the only program I watch repeatedly after 2018. (Nothing from 2014 was that interesting.) considering I’m not even particularly into ice dance, and have never gotten into any other dance program, it’s really pretty special what V/M have managed to do to me. I’m so glad they won a well deserved second gold. Definitely sad they won’t be putting out any more competitive programs.

marifran

Moonlight sonata cures my insomnia but you don't see me going into P/C related threads saying that. What a bunch of sad sore losers you people are. No one is forcing you to comment in here @MelDee @Icetigger No wonder P/C only have dedicated fans on here. if they were to try that nonsense anywhere else they would be laughed at.

Just some qoutes from you lovely people on here:
"Tessa is a prostitute"
" I am glad I never have to see V/M skate again"
" Scott is a douchebag"

Meanwhile, you have your precious gabby retweeted an article trashing the shibs and V/M
Gui said they lost because of a dress malfunction while ignoring his twizzle errors and underwhelming FD
P/C "forgetting" to shake Shibs hands on the podium

Like skater like fans:saint::saint::saint:

Why exactly do you bash people who don't like Moulin Rouge and P/C themselves when the question is an open question (to which you can answer yes or no if my grammar is correct) in a non V/M fan thread, that has nothing to do with P/C ?

Why don't you learn French instead so that you know the worlds for "we might have won" or "we probably would have won but you never know what else could have happened, it's sports".

Also why shouldn't Gabby retweet a highly praising article by a well known critic in a worldwide well known paper especially when the author cautiously writes :
"as a dance critic, I judge skating by different rules, . ..."Ms. Virtue and Mr. Moir I’ll never tire of their skill — their consummate speed and control ".
Why don't you write the New York Times and submit your own article to bash the dance critic and P/C ? That would be much more efficient as I am sure readers would be very interested in your opinion.
Why should it be OK then for you to write about their "underwhelming program" in a public forum, as if stating universal truth rather than a personal opinion when it's not OK for a professional journalist to write in his newspaper in a careful way?

And the podium, yes you're right they made an error. Yet, is it that difficult for you to show a bit of empathy for two people who were completely distressed, Gabriella holding tears that she would wipe later on and Guillaume looking like a fish lost in the desert ?.
You should think about all the other podiums P/C have been on and how warm and funny it was; you should think about how composed they are both when they lose or win over V/M. You should also think about all the skaters they are getting along with really well : Chock/Bates, WeaPo, Hubell/Donohue, Capellini/Lanotte, Bobrova/Soloviev,Stepanova/Bukin, everyone in Gadbois (Danish, Spanish, French ...) As the british ESPN put it at Worlds "it's amazing how other skaters accept their dominance". If I am correct,that's what you get when you're respected, kind and humble, isn't it ?.

Finally, I haven't been watching MR as I deeply dislike the music. However, I have been rewatching other V/M' free dances and almost every single short dance several times for years now.

Before you answer, you may notice that I didn't bash anyone but you and your meaness. Apart from apologies, there is nothing thing for you to write, and I do hope you're smart enough to do so. Otherwise, bye.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Ahahahahaha.....yeah right.

Come on now, sometimes it takes a moment to figure out what a thread topic is all about. My first thought before opening the thread was: Whose version of Moulin Rouge is the OP referencing, or are they by chance speaking of the movie, or simply snarking about all the various fs program renditions?

Once I opened the thread, I was like Oh yes! (no pun intended @Ohyes) ;) In fact, I'm inspired now to go rewatch V/M's Moulin Rouge. I was rather distracted by the competitive excitement and emotion of all the programs and scores that came before them to really get into V/M's MR Olympic program in real time. But yeah, they did an absolutely remarkable job sticking with their vision and then retooling MR post GPF. I love their vision, dedication and self-belief, which evolved over the years. I'd probably have enjoyed V/M so much more during their early competitive career had not there been so many of their ubers (of course not you @quartz) always standing guard in scary Mel Gibson painted-face William Wallace aggressive battle mode. :scream: Maybe V/M should have skated a program to Braveheart. :p

In the lead-up to this year's Olympics, I was rewatching some of V/M's old programs, including 2010 Olympics programs and just marveling at their superb talent in ways I didn't fully appreciate then. I love the V/M MR documentary that aired in the lead-up to the Olympics (even though a lot of it was in French without English subtitles because it was apparently made for a French-speaking audience). I've always admired V/M, but now I respect even more what they've brought to ice dance and how they've pushed the discipline forward. It was a joy watching Team Canada prevail with flying colors and determination to win team gold at the Olympics led by V/M! Still, of course, not everyone is going to be a V/M uber, especially not at gunpoint. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information