What song are you listening to?

TwinnerA

I'm not listening to it, but I after I heard the news that Debbie Reynolds died, I watched Tammy and the Bachelor, and now I can't get the song Tammy's in Love out of my head. It has been days and days ago that watched the movie and it just keeps popping into my head and it is driving me crazy!

Cachoo

For me it has been Carrie Fisher's rendition of "Happy Days Are Here Again." I have to say though that I love Carrie's voice and I like that song so I don't mind that it is stuck in my head. I think Carrie had a better voice than Debbie.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I was going through my old 45s when I came across this. It's been years since I've listened to it and it put a smile on my face.

Shame Shame Shame - Shirley & Company

I've danced most of my life. I remember standing on top of dads' feet when I was 5 years old. He was showing me how to do the Jitterbug. Both my parents showed me how to do the Mash Potato, Watusi, Jitterbug, The Swim, The Hully Gully and The Stroll which was The Original Stroll from the year I was born in 1958.

The one Dance I could never do right was The Bop. My mom tried her best to teach me how to do it, but I always looked sort of spastic trying to do it. Therefore, I never did the Bop at any Club or Bar that my friends and I would go to. I instead did another dance in which I named the Hip Quiver. I can't explain exactly how you would do it, but several of my friends tried to do the Hip Quiver but couldn't. If you've ever seen Tina Turner dance, then you'll see how she does her hips when she dances. That's the closest I can come to describing the Hip Quiver, and most of my friends called me the "Tina Turner" of Mansfield.

It came naturally to me because both my mom and dad could dance really well. Back in the 50's and 60's, couples would dress up in their suits & ties and dresses when they would go to nightclubs. My mom told me once that she and my dad went to a nightclub on what was called the Bossier Strip, and there were dress codes for all those night clubs. One weekend, they went with some friends and the owner of the club had a dance contest where the winner won 100 dollars which was a lot of money in the 50s. The owner of the nightclub challenged anyone that could stay on the dance floor the longest and beat him doing The Bop. My mom loved The Bop, and all her friends convinced to get on the dance floor with the club owner. She did out dance him and won the 100 dollars. They named her The Bop Queen of Mansfield.

Dancing was part of my life and also very good exercise. Now that I've discovered that I can still dance in a wheelchair, I dance all the time to my music. I still have my upper body movements, and let me tell you that it's wonderful to still be able to dance.

For anyone that says or feels like they can't dance, get out there and try anyway. You may just discover that you can. <3

twinsissv

Not listening to it but getting some serious singing done for this oldie from my youth because it just seems so...right.
"Turn Back the Hands of Time"
:violin:
Turn back the hands of time.
Roll back the sands of time.
Bring back the dream divine,
Let's do it over again.

Simone411

Listening to Lorrie Morgan today. It's been a while since I listened to her and came across some of her records. I forgot just how beautiful of a voice she had. I still wish she was singing.

Something in Red

Simone411

As a bass player, have you noticed how prominent bass is in McCartney's songs?
I have. I've never thought about it before now, but it may be one of the reasons I like his music so much. I had noticed years ago that Paul was a left-handed guitarist, and it looked like he was playing a true left-handed guitar. I did some research and found that Paul used a Gibson Les Paul.

He tried playing right-handed and couldn't really use the pic that way. He saw a picture Slim Whitman playing a left-handed guitar and realized that's exactly what he needed. My brother used to play a right-handed guitar (he's right-handed). I tried to play it and couldn't quite get it right with the chords and using the pic because I'm left-handed. That's when I realized I would have to play a left-handed guitar if I ever wanted to learn how.

Simone411

Just saw this. Thanks, Peter!

I checked at YouTube, and found all of her songs from the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFtVivSgUU&list=PL2KmN9xgnMIpgDoxvPkkzBkYcCJWG-oUX

Definitely have to listen to them. She sings some old favorites like Ode to Billie Joe, Something About Trains and Lay Lady Lay.

My dad and stepmom met Lorrie Morgan and Keith Whitley when they went to Nashville at the Grand Ole Opry in December, 1988. They told me that Lorrie and Keith were really nice and down to earth. In May, 1989, Keith passed away. It was really heartbreaking. He died of Alcohol poisoning while Lorrie was in Alaska on tour.

PeterG

It's tough to pick a "best song" of Lorrie Morgan's. But this one deserves a listen. It was never released as a single, but I think it could have been a bit hit, but it was from the "Watch Me" album, which had four top ten songs on it, so this one got left by the wayside:

Lorrie Morgan and Allison Krauss - My House to Yours

P.S. You might want to have a box of Kleenex close by if you listen to this one. :)

Simone411

It's tough to pick a "best song" of Lorrie Morgan's. But this one deserves a listen. It was never released as a single, but I think it could have been a bit hit, but it was from the "Watch Me" album, which had four top ten songs on it, so this one got left by the wayside:

Lorrie Morgan and Allison Krauss - My House to Yours

P.S. You might want to have a box of Kleenex close by if you listen to this one. :)
Oh gosh. You were so right, my friend. I did have to grab some Kleenex. That was absolutely beautiful. I believe it could have been a #1 hit ... at least it is with me.

I noticed in the right column a few more songs by Lorrie. I was pleasantly surprised when I came across this particular song. I thought of you when I saw it and wish to share it with you. I'm so delighted because it's one of my most favorite songs from Doris Day that she sang during the movie, Calamity Jane.

Secret Love

Susan1

My Valentine - Paul McCartney (PRETTY song!)

Then Rocky Raccoon..........weird - "....everyone knew her as Nancy", Paul's current wife's name. Wonder if he calls her Lil. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information