What do people here think of Jill Trenary

VGThuy

She had a distinctive look, that's for sure. I don't know any skater before or after who styled themselves the way she styled herself. It wasn't bad or anything. It was very...Big Woman in the suburb mall - in the Midwest/Great Lakes area or near it. I could see her being a recurring character on Designing Women or a guest character in Roseanne.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I loved Trenary and agree with everything SLIVER wrote.

People tend to remember the 1990 programs, but forget that her pre-1990 programs were packed with jumps, steps, and skating that never stopped.

1990 was a deliberate change in style, one that ended up influencing everyone from Oksana Baiul to Michelle Kwan (and probably a decade of costumes). There were fewer elements but held for longer, with every move finished. The program incorporated modern dance and new age music in a way that was different from anything we had seen previously. It may also be one of the first instances of a singles skater turning to an ice dancer (Renee Roca) for choreography? It's easy to look back on the program now, with knowledge of everything that followed (and improved upon) it, and forget that at the time it was an enormous departure and a big risk for ladies skating. It started so many trends in costumes, music, look, and choreography.

Some of Trenary's work as a pro - especially "These Boots," but also her "Caravansary" program (which I'm not sure she ever really skated well) - was also noteworthy. She was one of the few pros who seemed to challenge herself choreographically, probably due to the Dean influence.

On the athletic front, Trenary's triple salchow was the best in the business: +5 when landed, either from the one-foot axel or a spiral. Her triple toe loop was also of high quality when she landed it. I loved the split jumps both into and out of the jump, e.g., 1988 free skate. (This is the type of stuff CoP should reward.) Her clean edge double axel and the double flip with her arms at her side (much more attractive than the 'tano / rippon positions we see today) also deserved high marks.

They did phase them out, no? From 30 percent to 20 percent in 1988-90, before elimination.
Thanks for this thread. I was not familiar with Jill. I watched several of her performances, and I was delighted and impressed. Really fun to watch.........oh and such clean edges. Note to current Ladies....watch her lutz :)

Last edited:

orbitz

It seems like the "hate" for Trenary started after she won 1990 Worlds over Midori. People acted like Jill somehow stole the gold medal from Ito, when all she did was do her job: skated well enough in all three segments of the competition to nab the overall title.

Jill's hairstyle wasn't that unusual during that era. Roz Sumners and Jeri Campbell had the same type of cut but maybe not as tiffed as Jill's, LOL. I think her costumes were done by Lauren Sheehan, who was the go-to designer for many skaters during that era, and they all had the shoulder pads and were overly bedazzled.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Jill's hairstyle wasn't that unusual during that era. Roz Sumners and Jeri Campbell had the same type of cut but maybe not as tiffed as Jill's, LOL. I think her costumes were done by Lauren Sheehan, who was the go-to designer for many skaters during that era, and they all had the shoulder pads and were overly bedazzled.
It was the era of big hair too.

Jill's costume in the clip above reminds me of a particular costume that Nicole Bobek wore in 96 for the SP. I think Sheehan made it.

Stefanie

It was the era of big hair too.

Jill's costume in the clip above reminds me of a particular costume that Nicole Bobek wore in 96 for the SP. I think Sheehan made it.
Yes, that Sheehan style is so recognizable. Typically a deep v-neck and some flowers outlined in beading and not a full skirt, but one that is outlined in the front area and longer in the back. Or some "feather" type pieces in the front skirt area.

SLIVER

It seems like the "hate" for Trenary started after she won 1990 Worlds over Midori. People acted like Jill somehow stole the gold medal from Ito, when all she did was do her job: skated well enough in all three segments of the competition to nab the overall title.

Spot on, a lot of the hate on social media comes from fans who were not watching the sport then and can't fathom that a programme with 5 triples (one of them with step out) could beat Ito. That's not the full story though, it doesn't detail the compulsories, the factoring of the 3 segments or what the judges really focused on back then. When Trenary won the event there really was zero controversy in Halifax or in the media. The strongest free skaters didn't always win, it happened to Orser, to Boitano, Manley and to dozens of others many times. Let's also not forget that 3 to 4 triple programmes (Kostner, Meier) were winning Europeans not long ago for many years too.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Spot on, a lot of the hate on social media comes from fans who were not watching the sport then and can't fathom that a programme with 5 triples (one of them with step out) could beat Ito. That's not the full story though, it doesn't detail the compulsories, the factoring of the 3 segments or what the judges really focused on back then. When Trenary won the event there really was zero controversy in Halifax or in the media. The strongest free skaters didn't always win, it happened to Orser, to Boitano, Manley and to dozens of others many times. Let's also not forget that 3 to 4 triple programmes (Kostner, Meier) were winning Europeans not long ago for many years too.
You know, I am not sure things have changed. Look at US Ladies. The strongest programs did not win.

VGThuy

I don't think people really mind lower content winning if they liked what they were seeing. But...I know there's all kinds of pros and great arguments being made about the quality of her skating but in the end, people either like it or they don't.

SLIVER

I don't think people really mind lower content winning if they liked what they were seeing. But...I know there's all kinds of pros and great arguments being made about the quality of her skating but in the end, people either like it or they don't.
ITA but there are subjective things, like hair, music etc which everyone is free to dislike but also lots of objective facts and looking back 30y without knowledge of the era and criteria can really distort these facts, like an earlier poster calling her 'mediocre'. She was anything but average or mediocre.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
ITA but there are subjective things, like hair, music etc which everyone is free to dislike but also lots of objective facts and looking back 30y without knowledge of the era and criteria can really distort these facts, like an earlier poster calling her 'mediocre'. She was anything but average or mediocre.

This. There were a lot of really strong US ladies' skaters at that time, so to be one of the best was a real accomplishment.

SLIVER

This. There were a lot of really strong US ladies' skaters at that time, so to be one of the best was a real accomplishment.
She spanned 2 different generation of skaters too, the 88' club and the ones that came right after. She managed to win 3 of 4 US titles back to back 87-90, beating Thomas, Yamaguchi, Harding, Kerrigan, Cook etc etc and that was just on the national level.

Fadeevfanboy

Yes it isn't Trenary fault Ito did one of the worst figures ever seen (the loop) and was probably lucky to even be 10th, and the weak free skating field meant Trenary placed high enough in factored points to hold on, even after blowing the short. I think some of the upset is that many feel Trenary did poorly enough in the short 5th was even too high, and she kept that high by her name. If she is even 6th in the short she loses the gold to Ito. It is hard to say, the field was weak that year, even if I do know she was placed over a few clean performances by contenders. I could see arguments either way. Would need to rewatch people like Neske, Grossman, and Sargeant who skated well and placed behind faulty Trenary to really form a stronger opinion.

Then Kristi blowing it in the long killed Midori, as she was the only other person who could have realistically beaten Jill in the long that year if she stood up. Plus she had to be 2nd in the long for Midori to win, as any of Lebedeva, Cook, or Trenary being 2nd in the long gave that person the gold.

It sucked Ito lost after doing one of the best free skates of all time, and an incredible short program too, but figures were still part of the scoring and she really blew that one figure super badly unfortunately. It is still online on youtube for anyone who wants to see it.

Last edited:

SLIVER

Yes it isn't Trenary fault Ito did one of the worst figures ever seen (the loop) and was probably lucky to even be 10th, and the weak free skating field meant Trenary placed high enough in factored points to hold on, even after blowing the short. I think some of the upset is that many feel Trenary did poorly enough in the short 5th was even too high, and she kept that high by her name. If she is even 6th in the short she loses the gold to Ito. It is hard to say, the field was weak that year, even if I do know she was placed over a few clean performances by contenders.

Then Kristi blowing it in the long killed Midori, as she was the only other person who could have realistically beaten Jill in the long that year if she stood up. Plus she had to be 2nd in the long for Midori to win, as any of Lebedeva, Cook, or Trenary being 2nd in the long gave that person the gold.

It sucked Ito lost after doing one of the best free skates of all time, and an incredible short program too, but figures were still part of the scoring and she really blew that one figure super badly unfortunately. It is still online on youtube for anyone who wants to see it.
There's no way Trenary should have been ahead of Grossmann in the short. Grossman landed a beautiful double loop-triple toe combo, she had an error on the axel but the rest of the prog was very strong. She also placed in front of Sergeant who was clean and really inspired in front of a home crowd. Jill could have easily been 7th in the short but should Ito have been lower than 10th in the compulsories too? We will never know...

VGThuy

That's one of the biggest issues about analyzing compulsory figures-era competitions and their results. We don't see the compulsories so we have no idea if they were ranked correctly...and they were worth 30% of the total score (in the post-SP era).

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Jill's "Boots" is my all-time favorite pro skating program - brilliantly choregraphed to the beat and punctuation points in the song, and she had a blast skating it.

I always felt sorry for her in her divorce from Dean. One of their sons was a special needs child (described in one article as having severe learning disabilities), and my take was that he didn't handle this extremely well. Plus it looks liked his "more than friendship" with Karen Barber started while he was still married to Jill despite denials. Yep, brilliant skater and choreographer, but a real jerk to some of the women in his life. Jill has always handled things very diplomatically for the sake of their sons.

Last edited:

canbelto

Jill leads a very quiet life. Usually with skaters I kind of marvel at how close-knit the community is -- like today, Tara and Michelle frequently "like" each others' posts on SM. But I can't find anything about Jill.

Fadeevfanboy

There's no way Trenary should have been ahead of Grossmann in the short. Grossman landed a beautiful double loop-triple toe combo, she had an error on the axel but the rest of the prog was very strong. She also placed in front of Sergeant who was clean and really inspired in front of a home crowd. Jill could have easily been 7th in the short but should Ito have been lower than 10th in the compulsories too? We will never know...

I thought Grossman's double axel was two footed. Which would explain why her 1st marks were so much lower than her 2nd, and why she as a big name skater was behind some relative unknowns. I guess even with that she had a good case to be over Jill and her double toe-double toe and noticeably slow and tenative performance (even Cranston who is a big Jill fan noted how slow and ultra cautiously she was skating).

Fadeevfanboy

Jill's "Boots" is my all-time favorite pro skating program - brilliantly choregraphed to the beat and punctuation points in the song, and she had a blast skating it.
That is my favorite ever program of hers. She seemed more confident and happy in her pro performances I saw.

I think there was always a lot of pressure and overhype on her from the USFSA in her career, and it weighed on her. Maybe one reason I didn't find her amateur skating generally that enjoyable.

Fadeevfanboy

That's one of the biggest issues about analyzing compulsory figures-era competitions and their results. We don't see the compulsories so we have no idea if they were ranked correctly...and they were worth 30% of the total score (in the post-SP era).

I agree on this but they showed Ito's loop figure, or part of it on tape, and it was utterly horrific. Definitely no politics on her placing 10th after seeing that (or if anything politics to not drop her lower).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT7gFv1QqLY 0:40

Of course they also show Jill doing a double toe-double toe in her sluggish short performance.

Seerek

But I can't find anything about Jill.

The last news I had read was probably around 2017, related to her engagement to an Owner/CEO of a Windows/Doors manufacturer/supplier franchise in Colorado.

I think she also attended a 50th anniversary celebration of Peggy Fleming's Olympic gold medal (makes sense given same coaches) in 2018.

Last edited:

barbk

My impression, from Kadavy’s interview, was that Jill’s father was wealthy and that Jill was always decked out in designer clothes. I don’t know Kaday’s background, but it seemed as if she were from a more humble background.
Very true on both counts. The Broadmoor was a very ritzy club, and Caryn was there as the equivalent of a "scholarship" student. Her dad lived back in Pennsylvania, and her mom lived in Colorado Springs with Caryn. I sat next to her mom quite a few evenings - nice lady, and not in the least wearing fancy clothes. Jill was usually dressed to the nines when she came to practice. That's not a criticism of either of them, just my memory of who had/wore what. Both seemed very nice in the limited interactions I had with them.

Jill was a really good show skater, which was a little surprising considering that her biggest technical strength was figures. Caryn was a little nervier, but her free skating was just so gorgeous and big. The Broadmoor had a lot of shows and Jill was great at projecting up to the upper levels. Thinking of that, I really miss the old wooden World Arena set next to the pond across from the Broadmoor hotel complex. It was a special place.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
So Kristi Yamaguchi is the real enemy!

:mitchell:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Trolls like you are why I am so grateful for the ignore list. :40beers: Adieu.

Says the troll who regularly creates new accounts to start "what do you think of this skater" threads. Threads which turn out to be mostly your posts on "why I hate this skater".

It's OK if you put me on your ignore list, because you'll be back before too long with a new sockpuppet account :puppet:

aussieSKATES

Very true on both counts. The Broadmoor was a very ritzy club, and Caryn was there as the equivalent of a "scholarship" student. Her dad lived back in Pennsylvania, and her mom lived in Colorado Springs with Caryn. I sat next to her mom quite a few evenings - nice lady, and not in the least wearing fancy clothes. Jill was usually dressed to the nines when she came to practice. That's not a criticism of either of them, just my memory of who had/wore what. Both seemed very nice in the limited interactions I had with them.

Jill was a really good show skater, which was a little surprising considering that her biggest technical strength was figures. Caryn was a little nervier, but her free skating was just so gorgeous and big. The Broadmoor had a lot of shows and Jill was great at projecting up to the upper levels. Thinking of that, I really miss the old wooden World Arena set next to the pond across from the Broadmoor hotel complex. It was a special place.
One of the first international competitions we attended were the 1994 World Junior Championships at the Broadmoor in December, 1993. It was the last competition ever held there before being closed for good.

To our absolute shock and delight, we also spotted Jill casually chatting in the arena with fellow skater, Tom Dickson. She was clutching her back at the time, so it is our understanding that she may have been carrying an injury. (That could have explained her withdrawal from the World Pro in Landover in Washington DC, which we also attended several weeks later.)

bardtoob

My take on the Ladies event at 1990 Worlds was:
  • Jill blew the SP while really skating well in CF and LP
  • Midori blew the CF but did well in the SP and LP
  • Kristi blew the CF, had visible errors in the LP, but did well in the SP
  • Holly did some of the best figures of her life and one might have been the best the judges had ever seen :sekret::COP::judge:and did a competent display of milktoast freeskating in the SP and LP without any visible errors while getting the audience's attention.
There was no obvious well rounded 1st rate skater across the three phases, hence:

1. Jill
2. Midori
3. Holly
4. Kristi

Last edited:

Sonata

Funny because through some other threads, I was reminded about how much I disliked Trenary’s skating and all it represented. Mediocrity and elevation of a certain body type. It boggles my mind that she became a world champion. Personally I thought it was bad for the sport that she won. Back when figure skating was popular and there were only like 4 channels, I remember speaking to people the day after she won and there was disbelief and annoyance. I mean it’s over 30 years later and I still have strong feelings about this…..Yes Midori messed up figures and that’s not Trenary’s fault. Maybe the judging wasn’t either. I couldn’t stand how the media propped Trenary up and I suppose that’s not her fault either. The relationship with Dean soured me on her even more.

I also didn’t like the hair. Big no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information