What do people here think of Jill Trenary

olympic

I would never describe Jill's skating as stiff. She was a fluid performer, but I think her on-ice style was too rehearsed, too beauty pageant-y. Her style during her amateur days hasn't aged well, IMO.

The best showcase for Jill's skating was in these two programs that her ex-husband Chris Dean choreographed for her for 1996 Ice Wars:

These Boots
Canon
At least what I saw watching her at competitions, the landings to her triples didn't appear deep in the knee. Again, I compare them to Butyrskaya's landings: Decent jumping ability, but a tendency to kind of rock on stiff-knee landings which made it look like she could splat / step-out, etc.

Seerek

Decent jumping ability, but a tendency to kind of rock on stiff-knee landings which made it look like she could splat / step-out, etc.

I think this program in particular is an example of what you were describing precisely:

olympic

I think this program in particular is an example of what you were describing precisely:

And of course like Butyrskaya or anyone else, nerves made it worse

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
These Trenary/Butirskaya comparisons are rather blasphemous. They may both possess similar competitive records, but Jill had far more appealing basic skating and natural charisma. Butirskaya had acceptable presentation for a Russian lady of that era, but the stiff sexpot act got old quickly.

bardtoob

These Trenary/Butirskaya comparisons are rather blasphemous. They may both possess similar competitive records, but Jill had far more appealing basic skating and natural charisma. Butirskaya had acceptable presentation for a Russian lady of that era, but the stiff sexpot act got old quickly.
But I bet Maria's ability to do compulsory figures was closer to Jill's than Jill's jumping ability was to Maria's šŸ˜‚

olympic

Oooh. Both lacked bend in the Layback, too :EVILLE:

Ffc

Rewatching some of her old programs and of all the skaters who were champions or right at the top for years she is the one that baffles me most of anyone ever perhaps. She was a good enough skater for the time I guess, but I just didn't get her skating at all. Her look, or really anything. And super inconsistent as well.

Just curious if there are any fans of hers here, and what was her appeal to the judges and audiences alike.
Rewatching some of her old programs and of all the skaters who were champions or right at the top for years she is the one that baffles me most of anyone ever perhaps. She was a good enough skater for the time I guess, but I just didn't get her skating at all. Her look, or really anything. And super inconsistent as well.

Just curious if there are any fans of hers here, and what was her appeal to the judges and audiences alike.
I may have posted this but at that time she was considered a great skater. She was generally the strongest artistically, after only Katarina Witt. Unlike Katarina, however, she struggled with nerves.

She won 3 US Championships and won the Worlds once. Interest in skating was very high in United States after Calgary.

Injury and rules changes made her retire prematurely. She never really skated after her 1990 season.

Ffc

Well this will be a weird take but I felt she was very much a representation of how some saw the American teenaged girl of that time. That was the era of John Hughes popular films with Molly Ringwald and at times Jill reminded me of Ringwald. And she was at the end of the figures eraā€”truly a different time. I liked herā€¦didnā€™t love

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information