War in Israel

caseyedwards

The fact that they are warning the residents to leave suggests to me that the Israelis are going to use some pretty serious stuff if they move into Gaza.

They may have so-called “bunker busters” that can penetrate deep to destroy underground tunnels and Hamas headquarters.

I don’t think the US will let them use the so called MOAB which the US used In Afghanistan to destroy the terrorist caves complexes.
That makes sense. Yikes lots of destruction

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I try to stay informed but I'm really not a political person. That said, I disagree with those urging this discussion being moved to PI. This is political for only Israel & Gaza. This is a humanity issue for everyone else.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I try to stay informed but I'm really not a political person. That said, I disagree with those urging this discussion being moved to PI. This is political for only Israel & Gaza. This is a humanity issue for everyone else.
We weren't asking for this entire thread to be moved but for people to stop talking about the politics of it in this thread. My understanding is that the thread was set up for news about the war (according to the first post in the thread). Having a three-page discussion about the politics of the Middle East is not news and belongs in PI. IMO, of course.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
We weren't asking for this entire thread to be moved but for people to stop talking about the politics of it in this thread. My understanding is that the thread was set up for news about the war (according to the first post in the thread). Having a three-page discussion about the politics of the Middle East is not news and belongs in PI. IMO, of course.
For those who do want to participate in that discussion, the thread is here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ing-for-democracy.110497/page-10#post-6481310

Allskate

Yeah except they won’t allow ElAl to fly tons of desperate people OUT Friday-Saturday despite flights being booked solid for two weeks. Miri Regev, the Transportation Minister, is the Marjorie Taylor Greene of Israel.
It sounds like there are some plans in the works for there to be charter flights out soon. Is the Transportation Minister planning to stop these? I hope not.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
It sounds like there are some plans in the works for there to be charter flights out soon. Is the Transportation Minister planning to stop these? I hope not.

ElAl is the national airline and partially government owned and this doesn’t fly on the sabbath and holidays. All the other airlines do, when they’re flying. Which at the moment they are not. The charter flights will fly whenever but it’s unconscionable to close down the only commercial route in and out one day a week. No one is forcing a religious person to fly or staff a flight then.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This is an international humanitarian issue and set of events. It’s on every friggin’ TV set and computer news page. Why can’t we discuss this here? (The general news, not each group’s politics and rationales.)

Cachoo

This is an international humanitarian issue and set of events. It’s on every friggin’ TV set and computer news page. Why can’t we discuss this here? (The general news, not each group’s politics and rationales.)
We have separate threads (one for updates, one that includes politics) at another favorite site and I am glad. The updates are informative, the political thread often devolves into sniping and it gets personal at times.

Sarrie

I have a buddy from Israel I met online over a year ago. We talk casually mostly about our mutual LOTR obsession. A few weeks ago he mentioned potentially moving to Europe bc of the political situation.

I’d heard from him a few times since last weekend but very briefly. He finally admitted today he’d been called up by the army. Was given a day off but will be returning to duty soon. And very close to Gaza from the little he was able to tell me.

Puts a pit in my stomach thinking about it.

Allskate

Biden Administration officials reportedly are urging Israeli restraint. The comparison to 9/11 and the mistakes made in the midst of the fear and anger are something I've been thinking about this week. It's hard for people to think clearly while in the midst of experiencing terrorist attacks:

Continuing news about the horrific acts of Hamas, including targeting school children, is so appalling, and I fear the news will further inflame the situation and lead to more misery all around:

:( :mad::wuzrobbed

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
We have separate threads (one for updates, one that includes politics) at another favorite site and I am glad. The updates are informative, the political thread often devolves into sniping and it gets personal at times.
This one here is the general news - what interests me the most - but I still read PI snipping here. Anyway, I’ll keep it to facts/what’s going on. Massive bombardment seems to be going on in Gaza. I just woke up & turned on the TV.

I hope that the Israeli hostages can be found/rescued. 🙏

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Patrick Kielty, presenter of Ireland’s most popular talk show and whose own father was murdered by terrorists during the Troubles here on our island, ended his show last night with this message.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Hello,

Watched the interception above Haifa tonight, with TAHbKA and Mr. and Mrs. PRlady. I kind of enjoyed the view but the boom after was quite impressive, and I can fully understand why people are not happy about it.

And good news come from US administration today: they ask the Israeli side about what's next. I am very happy someone does it because I also want to know.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
Biden Administration officials reportedly are urging Israeli restraint. The comparison to 9/11 and the mistakes made in the midst of the fear and anger are something I've been thinking about this week. It's hard for people to think clearly while in the midst of experiencing terrorist attacks:

Continuing news about the horrific acts of Hamas, including targeting school children, is so appalling, and I fear the news will further inflame the situation and lead to more misery all around:

:( :mad::wuzrobbed
Urging restraint? It is like kicking a hornets nest and asking the angry swarming hornets not to sting….

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Not restraint against Hamas, but restraint in the way Israel pursues Hamas to try to minimize civilian casualties.
Their leaders are either abroad or deep in tunnels, they put rocket launchers in UN schools and despite five outbreaks of hostilities since 2008, they have built no shelters or infrastructure to protect their civilians. It’s awfully hard to just kill the hornets under those conditions.

However, Israel should restore water, electricity and food. There’s no excuse for making life unbearable while pursuing and hopefully eradicating Hamas.

just tuned in

However, Israel should restore water, electricity and food. There’s no excuse for making life unbearable while pursuing and hopefully eradicating Hamas.

Was the thinking here that depriving the Palestinians would cause Hamas to retreat?

skatingguy

decently

Was the thinking here that depriving the Palestinians would cause Hamas to retreat?
No, I think it's more likely that they believe that whatever crosses the border will be taken by Hamas, and used against the IDF.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

I don’t understand it but I’m no military strategist. They want chaos so people turn against Hamas? Starving them doesn’t seem to accomplish that.

Or is it just that the thirst for revenge is so strong that every tool will be used to punish Gaza. If that’s that case, it’s both awful and shortsighted about what comes after.

Gifted from a very pro-Israel writer: https://wapo.st/3Qg2Jpp

Cachoo

I don’t understand it but I’m no military strategist. They want chaos so people turn against Hamas? Starving them doesn’t seem to accomplish that.

Or is it just that the thirst for revenge is so strong that every tool will be used to punish Gaza. If that’s that case, it’s both awful and shortsighted about what comes after.

Wow MBS as a peacemaker? I was aghast but then he is here to stay and there are no pristine solutions. Everyone has blood on their hands. Maybe this is a way forward…

Lynn226

Thank you for sharing. I like how the writer thinks, but betting on Bibi and MBS seems a bit far-fetched. I hope I'm wrong. The only choices right now only seem bad and worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information