War in Israel

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Putting this here because it’s accessible for everyone.

Woke up two hours ago to sirens and thuds from intercepted bombs in Jerusalem. (Another one going off right now.) Hamas attacks by air, ground and sea, bombs falling in Tel Aviv and throughout southern Israel and reports of civilians abducted in Hamas incursions. Hamas is using undetected tunnels and gliders.

50 year anniversary of Yom Kippur war in which Israel taken completely by surprise. Today is Simhat Torah, the end of the Jewish holiday season and also Shabbat. Everyone is shocked and this government so far has said precisely nothing.

And in terms of right and wrong in the larger sense, the mayor of a Bedouin town in the south is reporting four dead so far from a bomb in his city. No one wins from this.

MsZem

I see the sea
Since I know people will be worried: Andrey and I are based in Haifa, which is further north and currently quiet. I had no idea what was happening until I went online this morning. @TAHbKA isn't in the south either.

There's apparently street fighting near the Gaza strip, and possible hostage situations. I am deliberately avoiding rumors but it's bad. I just heard someone on the news talking about his wife and kids being in a safe space and someone else taken hostage in that home.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
There is footage on X of Ring home cameras with Gaza’s commandos trying to infiltrate private homes in communities near Gaza. They took an IDF armed vehicle back to Gaza in triumph. I can’t underscore enough that this is a full-fledged war and people are in shock.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Since I know people will be worried: Andrey and I are based in Haifa, which is further north and currently quiet. I had no idea what was happening until I went online this morning. @TAHbKA isn't in the south either.

There's apparently street fighting near the Gaza strip, and possible hostage situations. I am deliberately avoiding rumors but it's bad. I just heard someone on the news talking about his wife and kids being in a safe space and someone else taken hostage in that home.
Thank you for checking in. We are worried of course and scared for everyone there. and @Andrey aka Pushkin @TAHbKA @PRlady thinking of you.

I hope this will be over soon.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Thank you for checking in. We are worried of course and scared for everyone there. and @Andrey aka Pushkin @TAHbKA @PRlady thinking of you.

I hope this will be over soon.
Unlikely. I’d bet on a full-fledged ground invasion of Gaza this time. Numerous civilian deaths and hostages taken to Gaza. Oh, and the government will fall for this, worst intelligence failure since 1973.

caseyedwards

The numbers say 5,000 rockets which have to come from somewhere. I was assuming they were bought and shipped to Gaza but maybe they were manufactured in Gaza? How can that be and Israel not know? Yes bad intelligence but also what about the parts? Some “blockade” failures

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I'm shocked. It’s scary to read about attacks in your own country, but when you have to read about attacks in another country, it becomes worse.
I have no words.
Believe me you’ve been through far worse. Israel may have been caught with its pants down but unless Hezbollah also attacks from the north, the overwhelming military superiority will knock the Gazans under. They’re not Putin.

It’s also essential to understand that Bibi and his crowd have used Hamas for years as a tool for not negotiating with the PA. They’ve admitted as much: the Hamas extremists and Israeli extremists need each other to ensure that no real peace deal ever advances. So yes the bomb parts get in, the Israelis know it, Hamas finds an excuse to attack and Israel gets to bomb Gaza again.

skatingguy

decently
Unlikely. I’d bet on a full-fledged ground invasion of Gaza this time. Numerous civilian deaths and hostages taken to Gaza. Oh, and the government will fall for this, worst intelligence failure since 1973.
Or will Netanyahu use this crisis to take further control in the country?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Or will Netanyahu use this crisis to take further control in the country?
Most think it’s very bad for him because the shocking images of Israelis besieged in their own homes are new. But he will blame it on the protesters and the leftists. And the settlers will rampage thru Palestinian villages in West Bank and Israel to “teach them a lesson.” So who knows.

Hopefully we will get rid of him but we’ve been wrong about that before. In the meantime I’m being careful on TV and social because there some unbelievably horrible images out there.

Lynn226

No words.

@PRlady is correct. There some horrific images out there.

May their memories be for a blessing.

I'm glad to hear that the FSU members who have checked in are physically safe. I cannot imagine what you must be going through emotionally.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Hello dear all

Thanks for the concerns, I am safe and far from the action. The news sound horrific, I am trying to be restrained and wait until the picture clears. This is a totally different kind of attack to anything we've seen, and some difficult questions will be asked.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Israelis correct me if I'm wrong but given how good Israeli intelligence is, I find it hard to believe they hadn't picked up on chatter regarding this assault. Is it possible it was kept quiet in order to provide a rally point around the government given the protests? One always hates to think one's government would sacrifice its own citizens, but we've seen this all too often throughout history. In any event I hope the loss of life is minimal which is pretty much all one can hope for in wars of ideology.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Israelis correct me if I'm wrong but given how good Israeli intelligence is, I find it hard to believe they hadn't picked up on chatter regarding this assault. Is it possible it was kept quiet in order to provide a rally point around the government given the protests? One always hates to think one's government would sacrifice its own citizens, but we've seen this all too often throughout history. In any event I hope the loss of life is minimal which is pretty much all one can hope for in wars of ideology.
Even I, whose loathing for this government knows no bounds, find it hard to believe they let this happen. In a country where the national news spends ten minutes on some poor schmuck in a traffic accident, this is a catastrophe.

And there are still Hamasniks uncaptuted in kibbutzs and towns near Gaza now after nightfall.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
As little respect as I have for the current government, that is way too far fetched. Plus even though I'm sure Bibi "will admit the responsibility but not the blame" or some other BS, and will blame anyone but himself, these pictures are hardly going to add any popularity to his government.

From the little info that has been published, it appears Hammas put some false alarm attacks in other places, plus the army and the intel were too busy separating the settlers from the Palestinians around Hawara as that is the current government's priority. I'm sure questions will be asked later, albeit I'm not very optimistic these are going to be the right ones.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I do think the reliance on electronic intelligence is going to be a real problem. Everybody knows somebody is "listening" to electronic communication. If you want to plan a surprise assault, doing it the old fashioned way is going to work which may be the case in this situation.

MsZem

I see the sea
Israelis correct me if I'm wrong but given how good Israeli intelligence is, I find it hard to believe they hadn't picked up on chatter regarding this assault. Is it possible it was kept quiet in order to provide a rally point around the government given the protests?
Absolutely not. The IDF is not in this government's pocket.

The problem is that the government's ruinous policies have shifted our force and efforts to the West Bank, and now innocent civilians in the south are paying the price.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
As of recent reports, 150 Israelis are dead (the number will certainly grow.) In the US that would be 4500 people, twice as many as died on 9/11. Just to put it in perspective. And bombs are falling in Tel Aviv area again.

Hedwig

Antique member
You are in my thoughts.

I am thinking of my travels to Israel many years ago. Such a beautiful country. And we were welcomed with open arms everywhere. Also in Gaza.

But military everywhere even then. (It was around 1998)

So sad for everyone that it has come to this.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Got to meet the neighbours (no shelter in the building, but the staircase is a safe place). The one across us wears very colourful pants. Looking forward for the night alarms to see what his pijama underwear look like. Will update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information