War in Israel

MsZem

I see the sea
Oh, my god. They just said on the news that 108 bodies have already been found at Kibbutz Be'eri. The population of Be'eri is - was - around 1,000. It's a good kibbutz, too, still very communal and close-knit.

I don't know how that community will overcome that.

Winnipeg

I heard (I hope this is not true) that a pastor described that terrorists at the music festival singled out young girls, raped them and then shot them in cold blood. The pastor was allegedly in Israel for a religious conference or meeting?

These terrorists are evil barbarians.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
More than 900 dead! :(
R.I.P.

Here is an article about Iran's involvement - though not direct, but they have supported Hamas to create war and deplete Israel's resources.

This is a clip from a year ago I think, but.. that's how they feel.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
@PRlady sometimes people don't think. Trying to determine which place you want to be is like trying to decide which leg is more important. Both families are your family.

(((@PRlady))) and Israel.
I know. What’s odd is one of my friends is Chinese-American and she’s had some difficult experiences visiting her family there. Another urging me to come back is an ex-FSO who served in some dangerous areas. These are not people who have never been out of their neighborhoods.

Anyway. We had dinner last night with an old colleague of my husband who was worried because her late husband’s sister lived on a kibbutz near Gaza and she hadn’t been able to get in touch with her.

She was found dead today along with her caretaker.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
So, so horrifying. I can't imagine what anyone in Israel is going through, not to mention their families all over the world. You are all in my prayers, and my pastor led us all in prayer at yesterday morning's service as well. Words seem inadequate.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I geographically challenged - I don't know the size of Israel compared to even the 3 closest states to me, but it seems like every person in Israel knows someone who has died or been severely injured or is being called up to serve.

There are no words that i can use that explains the enormity of the pain.

sk8pics

I heard (I hope this is not true) that a pastor described that terrorists at the music festival singled out young girls, raped them and then shot them in cold blood. The pastor was allegedly in Israel for a religious conference or meeting?

These terrorists are evil barbarians.
I think there's so much horrifying news to go around that has been verified, maybe it's better not to post hearsay? Especially when it's so horrifying and it might not be true.... hoping anyway.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I admit my first thought when I heard about the attack was "Maybe @PRlady will come home early now" but my second thought was "except she is home so how would that work?"

OTOH, a lot of people leave their country when war breaks out and they can't do anything to help. So if you and your husband decide one or both of you should leave the country, don't feel guilty.

ballettmaus

I geographically challenged - I don't know the size of Israel compared to even the 3 closest states to me, but it seems like every person in Israel knows someone who has died or been severely injured or is being called up to serve.
According to the internet, Israel is slightly larger than New Jersey with about a million more people living there than are living in NYC.

liv

Terrible. The Hamas attack was brutal, the Israeli response will be brutal. No one wins. Civilians always suffer the most. The long standing conflict will have more fuel for the fire and younger generations on both sides have renewed reasons to continue the fight.

I'm sad for all those who've lost their lives, lost friends or relatives and face the loss of even more. To those posters in the region, I wish you continued resilience, safety, and hope for peace... no matter how useless those words may sound.

Speaking to protests around the world: Conflicts always have 2 sides but celebratory demonstrations at the success of the attack on innocent civilians is disgusting. The taking of lives is never a cause for celebration.

Lynn226

I know. What’s odd is one of my friends is Chinese-American and she’s had some difficult experiences visiting her family there. Another urging me to come back is an ex-FSO who served in some dangerous areas. These are not people who have never been out of their neighborhoods.

Anyway. We had dinner last night with an old colleague of my husband who was worried because her late husband’s sister lived on a kibbutz near Gaza and she hadn’t been able to get in touch with her.

I hear you @PRlady. Family is unreasonable sometimes.

My mother damaged her relationship with my sister-in-law over the summer because she said some things she shouldn't have about China. My sil hadn't been home in five years to visit her family in Wuhan and she and my brother went there for about three weeks in July. My mother drove me nuts the entire time they were gone and she refused to get her internet fixed so she could use a messenger app needed to communicate with them while they were there. They ended up calling my mom a few times from China to keep the peace. Ugh.

tony

I’m really getting fed up with fellow Dems who absolutely will not budge on their posting of how this is all good, deserved, and whatever else, posting videos of the hate rallies being held across the world. Im sorry, but as much as I hate ‘woke’ as the next person, it absolutely could be applied to people who don’t put one ounce of effort to researching or learning anything and they just go with the next big trend to make sure their internet voice is heard.

This video is one of the best I’ve seen yet.

gkelly

Im sorry, but as much as I hate ‘woke’ as the next person, it absolutely could be applied to people who don’t put one ounce of effort to researching or learning anything and they just go with the next big trend to make sure their internet voice is heard.
I would think that not researching or learning anything would be the opposite of actual wokeness.

tony

I would think that not researching or learning anything would be the opposite of actual wokeness.
It is. But isn’t that often the case with social justice warriors? You think most people in general ever do any research?

Being married to an Israeli and having so many Israelis who have welcomed me with open arms, have invited me to countless Shabbat dinners, have invited my husband and I to countless events, who always speak English and make me a part of the conversation when I’m around, this has been an incredibly annoying few days. Seeing the postings that my Dem friends/acquaintances keep sharing and reiterating, refusing to listen or hear criticism, etc.

Cachoo

It is. But isn’t that often the case with social justice warriors? You think most people in general ever do any research?

Being married to an Israeli and having so many Israelis who have welcomed me with open arms, have invited me to countless Shabbat dinners, have invited my husband and I to countless events, who always speak English and make me a part of the conversation when I’m around, this has been an incredibly annoying few days. Seeing the postings that my Dem friends/acquaintances keep sharing and reiterating, refusing to listen or hear criticism, etc.
I saw this in PRlady's twitter:
Mehdi Hasan

@mehdirhasan
·
Oct 8

This conflict for me has always been about morality. Morally, you cannot justify the killing of Palestinian civilians, even if you say it’s fighting terrorism. But morally, you also cannot justify the killing of Israeli civilians, even if you say you’re fighting occupation.

I agree. I just watched part of a march supporting Palestine in London. Does this mean you support Hamas as well? Because after yesterday they became nothing more than cold blooded killers to me. Two things can be true: You might feel differently than Israeli hardliners about the Gazans And Hamas became butchers of the innocent.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

How awful! My deepest sympathies to that family.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
Something is happening in that Gaza City is getting bombarded by Israeli artillery.

This could be the opening move for an incursion into the Gaza Strip.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Anderson Cooper is interviewing a survivor of kidnapping. Her friend (A professor of Philisophy) was killed. Hamas left her with a 4 month old baby and a 4 year old toddler. The kids' mother is missing. She is so traumatized! I am sure there are numerous heart breaking stories.

Judy

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information