Voidiest FDs (and/or Other Programs) of All Time

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Watching the 1991 Worlds free dances, I was amazed by several incredibly voidy programs I've never seen before. I feel like this is a perfect time to exchange videos of interesting/creative/bizarre/batshit programs--whether it's music, choreography, costumes, and/or all of the above.

Programs that are 10+ years old are most interesting to me, because my knowledge of pre-2009 skating is pretty minimal.

mjb52

Bestemianova and Bukin as pros did a program that I remember as the most voidy and over the top thing I've ever seen but I don't remember when or any of the details other than that maybe they had gold metallic costumes and I'm not even sure about that. Although honestly you could probably pick any of their pro programs and it would be pretty voidy.

Sonata

Bestemianova and Bukin as pros did a program that I remember as the most voidy and over the top thing I've ever seen but I don't remember when or any of the details other than that maybe they had gold metallic costumes and I'm not even sure about that. Although honestly you could probably pick any of their pro programs and it would be pretty voidy.

I don’t remember them being voidy. What I remember as a child is being scared. The generous blue eye shadow, exaggerated facial expressions and overly theatrical programs for some reason made me think of vampires. I’m surprised I ever grew to love ice dance.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I don’t remember them being voidy. What I remember as a child is being scared. The generous blue eye shadow, exaggerated facial expressions and overly theatrical programs for some reason made me think of vampires. I’m surprised I ever grew to love ice dance.

Haha. That reminds me of a bit from Will & Grace where Jack and Grace discover their shared passion for skating, Michelle Kwan, and especially Surya Bonaly.

GRACE: Oh, my god! The best! Surya Bonaly!

WILL: Who?

JACK and GRACE: Surya Bonaly!

JACK: She's French.

GRACE: She's powerful.

JACK: She's black.

GRACE: She wears blue eye shadow and does illegal backflips.

JACK: She scares me. I crave her...

Sonata

Haha. That reminds me of a bit from Will & Grace where Jack and Grace discover their shared passion for skating, Michelle Kwan, and especially Surya Bonaly.

GRACE: Oh, my god! The best! Surya Bonaly!

WILL: Who?

JACK and GRACE: Surya Bonaly!

JACK: She's French.

GRACE: She's powerful.

JACK: She's black.

GRACE: She wears blue eye shadow and does illegal backflips.

JACK: She scares me. I crave her...

Haha the only scary thing about Surya Bonaly was her lack of skating skills. I was okay with her eyeshadow and backflips.

aliceanne

Strawberry Ice in its entirety:

From the bullies ripping off his costume, to Toller chasing Sarah Kawahara with a butterfly net, to Osborne Colson as a mincing 18th century lord and everything in between.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World

Doggygirl

Banned Member

From the bullies ripping off his costume, to Toller chasing Sarah Kawahara with a butterfly net, to Osborne Colson as a mincing 18th century lord and everything in between.

I can't believe I've never seen this! ALL the voids! :lol: :eek: :yikes: :inavoid:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I can't believe I've never seen this! ALL the voids! :lol: :eek: :yikes: :inavoid:

Indeed, almost anything by Toller Cranston, especially in shows.

A playlist is in the OP of this thread.

BTW, Toller was the choreographer and costume designer for Petr and Janoschak, whose Peewee Herman's Big Adventure FD is in this thread's OP.

Last edited:
C

casken

This is the first program I thought of when I saw the thread title or just the term "voids" in general. It's just a shame the Nationals performance isn't on youtube becuase it was excellent.

See also; Zoe Blanc & Pierre-Loup Bouquet FD French Masters 2005

This was a junior FD from 2005, but forget the crazy costumes, it has more difficult, original, and experimental choreography than any of the senior FDs that would have finished on the podium if there were to be a worlds this year.

Of course Pierre was kind of a train-wreck and falls twice on the dance spin. Typical French ice dancer fashion I guess. :fragile:

C

casken

The Rasputin program?

This is VOIDS defined.

mjb52

The Rasputin program?

This is VOIDS defined.

YES I was thinking it was Rasputin but wasn't sure I was remembering right! This is decades ago now. Their pro stuff was controversial and I didn't always like it per se (I was also pretty young so it was probably a bit intense even for intense young me) but it was definitely like nothing anyone else was doing at the time!

ETA: ok I just watched it and ice definitely grown into it, maybe it just suits the times.

Other mega voidy programs: M&D's Yma Sumac exhibition and to a lesser extent K&D's broken doll program. The latter has probably inspired a few programs since so it may not seem as original now.

Last edited:

aliceanne

I’ve posted this before, but Rudy Galindo’s Rocky Horror medley is the most in-your-face program I have ever seen. Ironically it was performed on Elvis Stojko’s tour only (Elvis was often accused of being homophobic.

aliceanne

Here is an Art Deco noir program from Belita

I seem to remember that the Marilyn Monroe number satirized in Blades of Glory was an actual Grishuk/Platov number - can anyone find it?

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I’ve posted this before, but Rudy Galindo’s Rocky Horror medley is the most in-your-face program I have ever seen. Ironically it was performed on Elvis Stojko’s tour only (Elvis was often accused of being homophobic.

I LOVE THIS. Haven't seen this before. Thank you!

skatesindreams

Bellanca

Watching the 1991 Worlds free dances, I was amazed by several incredibly voidy programs I've never seen before. I feel like this is a perfect time to exchange videos of interesting/creative/bizarre/batshit programs--whether it's music, choreography, costumes, and/or all of the above.

Programs that are 10+ years old are most interesting to me, because my knowledge of pre-2009 skating is pretty minimal.

The incredible Toller had interesting/creative/bizarre/batshit programs and interesting/creative/bizarre/batshit comments. He was all of the above. Translation? Toller was fabulous!

Former Lurve Goddess

I've never been able to find a video of this but the French team of Sauri & Stifunin's 2001 FD might qualify. In any case, the narrative that my significant other and I made up about the Free dance's backstory during 2001 world's was definitely voidy.;)

Plusdinfo

Gerencser/Camerlengo 1998 free dance:

I love that program! Thanks for introducing it to me. What is the name of the music? Fantastic choreography, and there is not ONE bit of extraneous posing or catching their breath.

gkelly

I love that program! Thanks for introducing it to me. What is the name of the music? Fantastic choreography, and there is not ONE bit of extraneous posing or catching their breath.
There are a lot of crossovers, though, especially toward the end.

And there is some posing, which does allow for breath/balance catching while still furthering the choreography.

As it so happens, I have a copy of the media guide from 1998 Worlds. In their ISU bio, Gerencser/Camerlengo's free dance music is listed as Tsunami by Robert Hoehner - Robert Hoehner Percussion Ensemble and Thunder Down Under by Brent Lewis - Orch.: Tribac Drumming & Didgeridoo.

Last edited:

aliceanne

Remember Polish skater Gregorz Filipowski?

Here he is at 13 skating at the 1980 Worlds (senior).

The music is Eleanor Rigby/My Old Kentucky Home/Mexican Hat Dance/?/Mexican Hat Dance.

briancoogaert

Gerencser/Camerlengo 1998 free dance:
Wow. I didn't remember that program, at all !
Thank you, it's very interesting !

aliceanne

Chris and Jayne’s Paso Doble where he is the matador and she is the cape. He flings her to the ice at the end.

A MEEPOTS moment where Jayne lies sprawled on the ice while Diva Chris triumphantly basks in the applause.

Last edited:

gkelly

Remember Polish skater Gregorz Filipowski?

Here he is at 13 skating at the 1980 Worlds (senior).

The music is Eleanor Rigby/My Old Kentucky Home/Mexican Hat Dance/?/Mexican Hat Dance.

Thanks, aliceanne.

Voids aside, so that would be the first triple-triple performed at Worlds (I believe he had already done it at Junior Worlds).
And also a couple of 1 1/2 jumps, which were on their way out of fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information