Virtue, Moir hope revamped programs will lift them to Olympic gold

Japanfan

And now you've realised it just because some poster tells you they don't? :confused:

Sometimes people make a comment about something - figure skating or something else - and it resonates with me, or clarifies a thought/feeling that I may have had. Sometimes others respond to my thoughts/feelings similarly.

It's part of learning and communicating, so I really don't see what your issue is.

Steph

I fully admit my National uber'dom' for Tessa and Scott but "if" they had retired with Carmen, I would have been fine. Sad but fine

I know sacrilege. But that will always be my favourite program of theirs.

That said, I am happy they revamped themselves and I like MR just like I like their FD from last year.
[...]
My sense was that they wanted to expand further in the direction they were going with Carmen, especially the kind of character Tessa wanted to portray - tough, complicated, sexy af - and that has a lot to do with why we got Moulin Rouge. Of course that's pure supposition on my part.

As for chemistry: back in 2010 she couldn't walk to the rink because she was in so much pain, right? But that's not the case any more, after years of surgeries and relearning how to move. And I think that their vibe, their chemistry, has changed with her recovery. Scott seems less protective, and more like he just wants to devour her, heh.

sap5

My big problem with P/C's interpretation of the music this year is that...I sort of don't think they really do fully interpret it? The first half is absolutely gorgeous and fits perfectly and as a result it moves me, but I don't feel like their expression, be it physical or emotional, changes enough as the tempo does. Obviously the judges all completely disagree with my unpopular opinion here, but I think that, if their artistry is coming from digging into the nuances and emotions of the music rather than storytelling, that presto section needed more...not aggression or attack necessarily, but strength perhaps. I just think they could've gone deeper, because in the past their musical expression has been my favourite element of their skating. I think it's why the piece as a whole never fully clicked with me and it loses me after the (brilliant) stationary lift. YMMV of course. It might just be the music cuts, which jar a little to my ears because I know that piece so well.

They've had a lot of time between Euros and now, so I'm expecting they've made some tweaks to the choreo and maybe even the music to get those last points. I've had those same thoughts about the presto section and I know others have as well, so maybe this will be the direction they've gone in?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 74551

They've had a lot of time between Euros and now, so I'm expecting they've made some tweaks to the choreo and maybe even the music to get those last points. I've had those same thoughts about the presto section and I know others have as well, so maybe this will be the direction they've gone in?

Yes, if they've focused on anything I'd expect it to be in this section. As it stands I can't say I agree with them receiving 10.00s for interpretation of the music/timing because I really don't think they distinguish those tempo changes enough (this was from seeing them live, I think they get away with it a smidge more with the close up of TV). I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done with it!

randomsplashes

V/M can't seem to win no matter what. People seem to hound on their originality, chemistry and lifts, particularly the Carmen lift so I guess they probably thought they could adjust it to a family friendly one. It's a damn shame since those people can't see past that (and their program choice) to see how powerful and unique their FD is.

D

Deleted member 74551

It's ridiculous if judges or networks or whoever are telling them that the crotch lift isn't 'family friendly', have they not seen the Hotel California section of their SD? They're 28 and 30, they don't need to be bopping around in cute tutus and hockey jerseys any more.

sap5

Perhaps everyone should be reminded that Moulin Rouge is about a high class hooker. It’s not exactly a family friendly story in the first place. ;)

That's why the original lift was perfect for the program! It seems that the judges are the ones who need to be reminded of this, if they are the ones behind this change.

That lift perfectly showed the transition between sex and romance: sex isn't always aesthetically beautiful, while our idea of romance is. The animalistic leap that transitioned into the graceful spin was just genius. Hope the new lift captures that just as well.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

But looking at the description, it does not sound like it changed too much, does it ?

I think the most important is not the lift itself but the backflip entry because this is the "wow" moment. They are in Korea in practice, so maybe there is footage or pictures.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Today's National Post front page is about intimcy, love, and loneliness.I timacy is personified by Virtue and Moir whose photo takes up nearly half a page in an artsy blur.The full-page article by Katherine Laidlaw, is on A6, and talks about shippers.

And I just saw a fluff piece on CBC on Scott Moor's hockey career.

Rafter

IloveFS

Did anyone else see the Skating Lesson's tweet - "Have heard now from both Russian and Canadian sources that Russian Skating Federation is 'furious' 'livid' over Duhamel/Radford medaling in pairs over Tarasova/Morozov. Walking around Olympics speaking of 'hell to pay' for Canada in dance event. "

This is SO unfair for the athletes AND so disrespectful to the achievements of Duhamel and Radford. I guess we all know the outcome of the Olympic ice dance event. This is a terrible beginning to the event that I have most looked forward to. Such a shame because it's really the athletes who lose. Maybe the IOC needs to sanction the Russian Skating Federation for such behaviour and the judges should be arbitrarily selected at the very last moment to eliminate any possibility of collusion amongst those countries who might be inclined to favour certain skaters over others. Such a terrible shame!

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ There is plenty of discussion going on in various Trash Can threads (no need to re-hash it in this thread, IMO).

I think V&M fans (and all ice dance fans) should try and enjoy the skating and filter out the "white noise" as much as possible.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

I am just hoping they skate well and clean and may the "best" win. I will be happy for whoever wins gold, but sad for the couple that doesn't. On the one hand, V/M already have a gold medal, so if they don't win, they are still Olympic gold medalists forever.

Rafter

Did anyone else see the Skating Lesson's tweet - "Have heard now from both Russian and Canadian sources that Russian Skating Federation is 'furious' 'livid' over Duhamel/Radford medaling in pairs over Tarasova/Morozov. Walking around Olympics speaking of 'hell to pay' for Canada in dance event. "

This is SO unfair for the athletes AND so disrespectful to the achievements of Duhamel and Radford. I guess we all know the outcome of the Olympic ice dance event. This is a terrible beginning to the event that I have most looked forward to. Such a shame because it's really the athletes who lose. Maybe the IOC needs to sanction the Russian Skating Federation for such behaviour and the judges should be arbitrarily selected at the very last moment to eliminate any possibility of collusion amongst those countries who might be inclined to favour certain skaters over others. Such a terrible shame!

If it’s true, it’s laughable. Because it’s Duhamel/Radford’s fault that Tarasova and Morozov bombed their LP and had an awful music choice and choreography?!

Meoima

V/M won so this means TSL are fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information