Virtue, Moir hope revamped programs will lift them to Olympic gold

Japanfan

Yes, and good for them having the presence of mind to realize the program needs tweaking. The original program is not much of a match for P and C's 'Moonlight Sonata' IMO in terms of contending for Olympic gold.

chapis

There will be live stream for the practices? Do you know when they start?

Skate Talker

They have told us during this evenings live streaming but I didn't take note. If you join the lives tream now you will probably get your answer shortly.
okay update - they are taking a break now but will cover the medal ceremonies shortly. I think I recall they were going to cover all the training sessions tmo so just look at the practice schedule if you can't wait around tonight and the will probably be it.

cheremary

caseyedwards

1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS
Guillaume CIZERON
fra.gif
FRA 120.09 60.85 59.24

2 Tessa VIRTUE
Scott MOIR
can.gif
CAN 118.33 59.66 58.67

It’s so narrow! They have to tweak and get higher than p/c somehow! Maybe they can do it? They actually have to get mostly 10’s - it’s crazy! This has to be some great tweaking. It’s almost like general impressions are close to final. With same program can they overtake? I mean a different program all together is just too bad a decision to make. Too risky.

Japanfan

1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS
Guillaume CIZERON
fra.gif
FRA 120.09 60.85 59.24

2 Tessa VIRTUE
Scott MOIR
can.gif
CAN 118.33 59.66 58.67

It’s so narrow! They have to tweak and get higher than p/c somehow! Maybe they can do it? They actually have to get mostly 10’s - it’s crazy! This has to be some great tweaking. It’s almost like general impressions are close to final. With same program can they overtake? I mean a different program all together is just too bad a decision to make. Too risky.

But they are not doing a different program, just makes changes to the existing one.

I am really hoping it comes down to who skates better on the day. But to be honest, I think P&C have the more Olympic-worthy program. This makes me quite sad as I love V&M and would be thrilled to see them earn their second Olympic Gold.

I really appreciate the V&M like to be innovative and challenge themselves to do new types of programs. But I have to wonder whether in years to come they will look back on Moulin Rouge and wonder what on earth were they thinking.

caseyedwards

But they are not doing a different program, just makes changes to the existing one.

I am really hoping it comes down to who skates better on the day. But to be honest, I think P&C have the more Olympic-worthy program. This makes me quite sad as I love V&M and would be thrilled to see them earn their second Olympic Gold.

I really appreciate the V&M like to be innovative and challenge themselves to do new types of programs. But I have to wonder whether in years to come they will look back on Moulin Rouge and wonder what on earth were they thinking.
That’s true they aren’t creating a new program- That sends a terrible message! I just wonder if the tweaks to Moulin Rouge can truly truly make judges take a new look at give them basically all tens and plus threes? I doubt p/c score will go down so a new impression of Moulin Rouge must be created and it must be STUNNING!! They must totally force new greater opinions of basically the same stuff! Can they do that? Create a substantially new impression to beat p/c?!

Japanfan

I doubt p/c score will go down so a new impression of Moulin Rouge must be created and it must be STUNNING!! They must totally force new greater opinions of basically the same stuff! Can they do that? Create a substantially new impression to beat p/c?!

Possibly, if not probably.

STUNNING is what V&M excel at, more so than P&C IMO. It's what distinguishes them. The question is whether Moulin Rouge is a program that really showcases it - as Mahler and Valse Triste did.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Possibly, if not probably.

STUNNING is what V&M excel at, more so than P&C IMO. It's what distinguishes them. The question is whether Moulin Rouge is a program that really showcases it - as Mahler and Valse Triste did.
I think P/C are actually more stunning and it does make the difference this year. You often say : "woooow it's pretty/gorgeous". The thing is, V/M have been pretty stunning too in the past, so that should not have been an issue. But Moulin Rouge does create a feeling that I'm not quite sure what it is.
According to Tessa they choose MR because they wanted "Passion and Drama : MR ticked all the boxes". And this where I'm lost because you could create these feeling genuienly instead of portraying a story, and it doesn't help that it has been done over and over again.
I mean you can see how much they love that FD, I just thought that they'll go deeper into the creativity process, digging very deep (almost using music as a background, focus on the skating and the emotions).
But then again, they might win with it and if they do it's great for them. But Marie-France didn't want Moulin Rouge at first, and she did create Build a Home. While I'm rooting for P/C to win, I'll be honest : I wish Tessa & Scott trusted her and went with her imagination to create their own "Build a home" moment, Gold medal or not, because this is what you remember over and over, 20 years later.
I'm guessing they didn't want to have a "Marina 2014" type of situation again.

fsfann

I always wondered why their Moulin Rouge program didn't "build" towards the end, like most programs do... so I'm glad to hear they've made changes.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is this a V&M fan thread?

If it is not, I would rather see P&C win their First (may be the only) OGM, than see V&M win their second.

The pressure to execute every element perfectly will be tremendous on both teams.

chapis

The pressure will be indeed huge because they must convince judges and technical panel that they are perfect. I know nobody is perfect but this season, judges are giving marks as if skaters were perfect.

V/M have the advantage of experience in the Olympics but P/C maybe could feel less pressure because they have time for another Olympic cycle.

Anyasnake

Their SD is definitly better than P/C´s Ed Sheeran. So obviously better! I am still wondering why the judges put the French in first.
For some it is for some it's not.
But they put the French first because they were so clean. V/M had a shaky pattern (they got a row of +2 from all judges whereas P/C got a row of +3, even the Canadian judge did that - they got less GOEs than Shibs and H/D), and their No-touch was not as good as usual (the beginning especially). Details, but enough to be beaten. It's not just a question of "better programs".

chapis

For some it is for some it's not.
But they put the French first because they were so clean. V/M had a shaky pattern (they got a row of +2 from all judges whereas P/C got a row of +3, even the Canadian judge did that - they got less GOEs than Shibs and H/D), and their No-touch was not as good as usual (the beginning especially). Details, but enough to be beaten. It's not just a question of "better programs".

There is much hype for P/C in France? Is there much pressure from the people in France waiting for them to win?

skatingguy

decently
If it is not, I would rather see P&C win their First (may be the only) OGM, than see V&M win their second.

The pressure to execute every element perfectly will be tremendous on both teams.
I honestly believe that if Papadakis/Cizeron win the 2018 Olympics they could win 3 in a row.

Areski

I think P/C are actually more stunning and it does make the difference this year. You often say : "woooow it's pretty/gorgeous". The thing is, V/M have been pretty stunning too in the past, so that should not have been an issue. But Moulin Rouge does create a feeling that I'm not quite sure what it is.
According to Tessa they choose MR because they wanted "Passion and Drama : MR ticked all the boxes". And this where I'm lost because you could create these feeling genuienly instead of portraying a story, and it doesn't help that it has been done over and over again.
I mean you can see how much they love that FD, I just thought that they'll go deeper into the creativity process, digging very deep (almost using music as a background, focus on the skating and the emotions).
But then again, they might win with it and if they do it's great for them. But Marie-France didn't want Moulin Rouge at first, and she did create Build a Home. While I'm rooting for P/C to win, I'll be honest : I wish Tessa & Scott trusted her and went with her imagination to create their own "Build a home" moment, Gold medal or not, because this is what you remember over and over, 20 years later.
I'm guessing they didn't want to have a "Marina 2014" type of situation again.

I think that the STUNNING that V/M excel at often stems from the existence of those 'HOW DID THEY DO THAT?!' moments for example during lifts (that goose lift!), steps & tricky, yet for the most deceptively easy looking linking movements while with P/C it's more about their general impression that they leave coming of sweeping, deep edges and expressive choreography with fantastical touches often their skating is giving impression of being absolutely weightless which takes great skills. Obviously both teams are capable & gorgeous but that's how I see it.

There are moments and aspects of difficulty in V/M that you only fully appreciate when you start watching in ... slow motion or after multiple views. I sometimes pause-start to comprehend for example how Scott glided around Tessa to appear in different place because I can't process that in real time. Their chemistry is great as well.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Their SD is definitly better than P/C´s Ed Sheeran. So obviously better! I am still wondering why the judges put the French in first.
I guess the judges don't agree that it's obviously better.

Both teams are pretty evenly matched in terms of scoring potential, though their strengths clearly differ. It should come down to programs and execution at the Olympics.

Anyasnake

I think that the STUNNING that V/M excel at often stems from the fact of those 'HOW DID THEY DO THAT?!' moments for example during lifts (that goose lift!) & tricky, yet for the most deceptively easy looking linking movements while with P/C it's more about their general impression that they leave. Obviously both teams are capable & gorgeous but that's how I see it.
That's very true, like the Carmen or Goose lift, you just don't forget it. I actually agree with what you say. For V/M I'm waiting for them to do a big element and be like "Holy cow !" and for P/C I sit back. Very different.

Anyasnake

There is much hype for P/C in France? Is there much pressure from the people in France waiting for them to win?
Well skating isn't popular in France, but it's starting to get on the news a bit more. There is no proper pressure or not too much on that side and since they live in Canada, they don't feel it (and the press don't bother them, they feel "away from that"). But the discussions are starting, and I'm guessing it'll be 3 times that after Europeans, we'll see !
EDIT : since a lot of people don't take figure skating too seriously too, it doesn't have much hype :rolleyes:

skatingguy

decently

Well skating isn't popular in France, but it's starting to get on the news a bit more. There is no proper pressure or not too much on that side and since they live in Canada, they don't feel it (and the press don't bother them, they feel "away from that"). But the discussions are starting, and I'm guessing it'll be 3 times that after Europeans, we'll see !
EDIT : since a lot of people don't take figure skating too seriously too, it doesn't have much hype :rolleyes:
There may not be much pressure from the public or the media, but you better believe there's pressure from the federation - Didier's not greasing all those judges for nothing. ;)

Kathryn2001

I'm usually a lurker here and not from Canada OR from France, but as good as V/M are, I am rooting for the French. I find their lines so smooth and melting one into the other. And yes, V/M are exceptional skaters but when both are clean, Moonlight Sonata moves me much more than Roxanne/Moulin Rouge. Besides, I always like to see a new gold medal winner rather than a repeat gold winner. V/M have had many years to shine, both in Worlds and in Olympic gold and silver. I know it sounds trite, but when it comes to Canada, I have really "felt" for Weaver/Poje since V/M returned.

Carolla5501

I actually think V/M may wind up with a repeat of 4 years ago.....And once again I think they just don't have a program that competes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information