US Army Officer is Miss USA 2016!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Miss DC, US Army officer Deshauna Barber, won Miss USA crown last night. Not only is she gorgeous and well spoken, but also smart. She nailed both Q&A sessions, never losing her composure. So feminine and graceful, yet strong. Now this is my idea of a great role model for African Americans...and all human beings, in general:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/miss-usa-back-stage-turbulent-donald-trump-173034977.html

skatesindreams

Deshauna Barber, the new Miss USA, is most impressive.
She's a great example of how women who hope to succeed in these competitions should prepare themselves.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I forgot to watch the Miss USA contest. Happy to hear that a soldier won it. Years ago, I remember seeing a Miss Israel at worlds, who was a soldier.

Jayar

It was an interesting pageant. I thought that Miss California's and Miss Hawai'i's questions were ridiculous-- one for being too challenging and the other for being too controversial. I do have to say that I gained some respect for Julianne Hough when Miss California stumbled on her question-- she comforted and encouraged her in a way that made me realize that she had genuine concern for her. Maybe she knows her as she comes from a famous LA-area family? But I have to say that the woman who was doing commentary about the women as they competed was horrible. She said things like, "Miss Missouri does not need any help walking. She's been doing it for a loooooong time." And during the evening gown competition, she told us a little bit about everybody's gown. Except for Miss Georgia's. For her, all she said was, "The contestants are not judged on their gown, but instead on their confidence and poise while walking in the gown." Miss Georgia's gown was a bit-- well, ugly, and that's how she covered it.

But I love the winner. She is great, and I would have been fine with Miss Hawai'i winning, too. I think that she would have fared better in Miss Universe than Miss District of Columbia, but who cares? I'm fine with the results.

A personal note-- during Miss Ohio's 'getting to know you' feature, they showed her teaching in the classroom. One of the kids was reading a book that I helped create here at my job. Made me root for her a little bit!

One last thing-- Ashley Wagner was one of the preliminary judges.

MsZem

I see the sea
I forgot to watch the Miss USA contest. Happy to hear that a soldier won it. Years ago, I remember seeing a Miss Israel at worlds, who was a soldier.
Israel has compulsory military service following high school. It would be more surprising for Miss Israel, or really any Israeli, not to have been a soldier or about to become one.

Obviously, it is more unusual in the US.

peibeck

Simply looking
I would not mind a challenging or potentially controversial question getting poised to the contestant on the proviso that they actually get more than 15 seconds (or whatever ridiculous amount of time they limit them to) to respond. Most of these contestants have probably had pageant coaching, so they should be prepared for any type of interview question.

I'm kind of living for Miss D.C.'s silver fringe gown. The lack of shoulder pads is the only thing keeping it from pure retro 80's. :D

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I prefer the way they used to do in the past- same question for every finalist. It's easier to compare their answers (or may be they had the same question for only the last 3? I didn't watch the competition, so may be someone can clarify).

Jayar

@Vash01 -- They did that for the final 3. The question was to describe confidently beautiful. Miss DC and HI nailed it. Miss GA was good, but not as good as the other two.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
If I was Miss Hawai'i and heard what an easy underhanded pitch Miss DC/USA got, I'd have taken that opportunity to say that I would never vote for a misogynyst who disrespects women and feels that a woman's worth is solely is in her appearance and looks :p

Xela M

My grandma called me to say how outraged she (and all of Russia) was about the Miss USA winner.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Because she is black or because she is a soldier? I am guessing it's the former.

Cachoo

My grandma called me to say how outraged she (and all of Russia) was about the Miss USA winner.

Do they broadcast it in Russia?

This woman covers a lot of bases: She is military, in a year when we want to prove "black lives matter" she is a perfect representative. I'm of the opinion several contestants each year would be a fine Miss USA. But that night someone just shines a little brighter than everyone else. I didn't watch but I assume this woman had the night of her life. Good for her.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

My question exactly.

From my limited time with my Russian friends I have learned that they view things very differently. It is natural. We are different countries, different cultures. Still I would like to understand why Russians were upset about the Miss USA winner. Was it her profession (soldier), or her skin color (sorry for bringing this up), or her age (26 is a bit 'old' in a beauty pageant, perhaps?)? May be they just thought other contestants were much better than her?

I didn't watch the contest so it's even harder for me to understand. I wish I had not forgotten about it.

Seerek

Ashley Wagner was among the judges to select the "Miss 52 USA" contestant, which was new for this year (submissions were done online, selected via Social Media).

Xela M

Because she is black or because she is a soldier? I am guessing it's the former.

Do they broadcast it in Russia?

This woman covers a lot of bases: She is military, in a year when we want to prove "black lives matter" she is a perfect representative. I'm of the opinion several contestants each year would be a fine Miss USA. But that night someone just shines a little brighter than everyone else. I didn't watch but I assume this woman had the night of her life. Good for her.

My question exactly.

From my limited time with my Russian friends I have learned that they view things very differently. It is natural. We are different countries, different cultures. Still I would like to understand why Russians were upset about the Miss USA winner. Was it her profession (soldier), or her skin color (sorry for bringing this up), or her age (26 is a bit 'old' in a beauty pageant, perhaps?)? May be they just thought other contestants were much better than her?

I didn't watch the contest so it's even harder for me to understand. I wish I had not forgotten about it.

Because she's black and (apparently) "even though some black women look alright, she certainly didn't and they only chose her to do Obama a favour"

Cachoo

Because she's black and (apparently) "even though some black women look alright, she certainly didn't and they only chose her to do Obama a favour"

Of all of the things I thought it could be I didn't think of this. But these meaningless contests are so far removed from the White House unless, of course, if Trump wins. Then the winner might get a few nights stay in the Lincoln bedroom.

skatesindreams

They may not mean anything to you.
However, I'm sure that they are not without meaning for the winner.

I'm glad that the new Miss USA doesn't fit the stereotypical profile.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Wow! This one never occurred to me (the Obama connection)

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
:lynch: for the comments about her looks and "some black women look alright" :mad: but :rofl: at the idea that "Miss USA" has any connection to the US president. I'm sorry, but "chosen to do Obama a favour" is one of the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. :lol:

Cachoo

I finally saw some news coverage of the contest. I do like how much answering the given question well helps the candidates. Every one has different opinions and I thought Miss Hawaii was incredibly beautiful and did well with her question but it felt like Miss D.C. was speaking truth to power with her answer. She rocked it. And I think that answer put her over the top. I like that.

Elkmaria

"even though some black women look alright, she certainly didn't and they only chose her to do Obama a favour"
LOL, Xela M, does your grandma regularly watch Russian TV? She might have adopted their approach: to blame Obama for anything that they consider bad.

As for the winner, I think she is definitely attractive. I opened the entire list of contestants, and her photo immediately caught my eye. I assume that was not because of her skin color: she was not the only Afro-American in the list. She just stands out. And the fact that she's an army officer deserves much respect :respec:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
My Russian professor once told the class that in Russia they don't like Obama. She didn't explain why. It was not a big surprise to me though; the USA and Russia are not exactly buddies. :)

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Miss USA with some figure skaters in Los Angeles yesterday (Ovarian Cancer Research Fund Alliance charity event): https://www.instagram.com/p/BGh7jjtJCTO/
Oh yes! That's awesome and I know it makes Clippy happy to see Ashley! :lol:

Seriously, what a very worthy cause, and I think it's more than wonderful because it hits home as my mom had stage 4 Ovarian Cancer in 1977. She went into remission and was blessed with 10 more years before she passed away. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information