UPDATED: Jason Brown to Brian Orser (official)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, to this point, Jason 'loving' that S&G fp doesn't show. It makes no impact, and that's not just because he wasn't skating well. I think the lack of motivation in the frothy, aimless opening music cuts prevents Jason from having the energy and focus to get into the difficult jumps. Concentrate on going clean and train the quad technique and bring it in slowly. I understand that Jason is viewing this season as rebuilding, and he isn't too worried about placements at the moment. That's fine.

I simply feel that this fp music does NOTHING for Jason. The choreographic steps are fine, but simply tangential to any deep connection to the music which is too aimless and frothy. I don't get it for Jason. And I don't like the costume either. Please explain what this is about please David and Jason? I personally do not think David gets Jason at this point. I mean I know it ain't easy making music selections and cutting music and choreographing programs. But please, this fp music doesn't work. And I do not see it working going forward.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
There seems to be something missing from Jason's FP ( apart from the lack of sound), and I say this as one of Jason's strongest admirers. His affect appeared to be flat while skating.

Or was it just me?

sk9tingfan

There seems to be something missing from Jason's FP ( apart from the lack of sound), and I say this as one of Jason's strongest admirers. His affect appeared to be flat while skating.

Or was it just me?

ITA. This is a very different Jason than that I have seen in the past. There's a total lack of joy

barbarafan

Could Mr Brown be learning new technique. . . .as is Ms Medvedeva? That will interfere with anyone's presentation. We've seen this before with other skaters.
That was his reason for choosing TCC....Apparently his technique is good for triples.(triple axel not consistant though) but in order to get another revolution in there he does have to make changes...Brian was traveling etc and they were both -Tracy and Brian vacationing as well so he was there a while (he also had to work on stuff cause of injury) so they have not had much time to dig in . So he is doing changes and it will be a while before things are smooth. I am very hopeful.

WildRose

It’s early yet. I expect they will add more artistic difficulty to his programs as Jason becomes more comfortable with the technical changes. He needs to get the quad and triple axle in the program first.

Meredith

what a glorious day!
It’s early yet. I expect they will add more artistic difficulty to his programs as Jason becomes more comfortable with the technical changes. He needs to get the quad and triple axle in the program first.
Thank you, but artistic difficulty isn't what I was referring to in my earlier post. @sk9tingfan summed it up in one word: JOY(or lack thereof) in this instance.

Beverly Smith's gentle article about Jason was illuminating. She reminded me to just chill. ;) Thanks, @katmari, for sharing it.

feraina

Thank you, but artistic difficulty isn't what I was referring to in my earlier post. @sk9tingfan summed it up in one word: JOY(or lack thereof) in this instance.

Beverly Smith's gentle article about Jason was illuminating. She reminded me to just chill. ;) Thanks, @katmari, for sharing it.
It’s easier to focus on joy when you don’t have to think about technique, or how your hair is bouncing in the air while you skate. ;)

aftershocks

Banned Member
There seems to be something missing from Jason's FP ( apart from the lack of sound)...

The sound is fully available in this AC website link, but not on Youtube
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u5ys3?playlist=x6143x

So everyone is talking about things other than what I'm talking about. I do not think the fp music works for Jason, period. Fine about Jason being in a new environment and learning new technique. Of course there's a learning curve and all that, and adjustments take time. I'm not specifically worried about the fact of Jason not making the podium at AC, or that he seemed lost and flat after the opening popped quad attempt in the fp. That has happened to Jason before in other programs due to the stress and pressure of trying to master quads, and having so many ups-and-downs which have led to Jason having trouble acquiring a comfort level with quads. As everyone has concluded, the problem lies with technique, not talent or ability. He's actually landed quads in practice before. And I think he landed a good quad in competition at SA 2016, which the judges saw fit to deny.

It's a good thing that Jason decided to make a coaching move, which has also meant changing his training approach and venue. That's fine, and I don't think there's any reason to be concerned that the change isn't working. I am not saying that. It's still very early, and his new coaches haven't had a lot of time working with Jason yet. For me, it's simply that the S&G fp music is not working, which is a separate issue! The way music does connect to having a poor performance though, is that when tech mistakes are made, non-motivating music can't help lift the skater to stay focused and energetic.

When music is not working, it's better to recognize it early and make a change. Some skaters stubbornly stick with music and programs that don't work (T/M anyone? :duh:). AdaRipp in 2016-2017 listened to critiques of his fp, and he accepted that something was not working well and he changed it without beating about the bush. And so he ended up with two great programs instead of one great sp and one problematic fp. I'm not saying there's a problem with Jason working with a new choreographer. I hope Jason explores working with many different choreographers other than Rohene Ward and other than David Wilson. At the moment, I do not think David has a great feel for who Jason is and what motivates him musically. So why not simply rework this fp that doesn't work well for Jason musically?

There's not so much wrong with the choreographic movements of Jason's fp, as there is with the music itself, IMO. It's pretty but rather light and quiet without anything stimulating to it, especially with Jason trying to go into a quad for his opening move. There's no push or excitement propelling him with this music. And what is meant by "Old Friends" in this instance anyway for Jason particularly?
These S&G lyrics say nothing and go nowhere for the journey Jason is on:

Old friends, old friends,
Sat on their parkbench like bookends
A newspaper blown through the grass
Falls on the round toes
of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sun
The sounds of the city sifting through trees
Settles like dust on the shoulders of the old friends...

I'm making critiques about the fp music because I love Jason, not because I think there's anything wrong with the coaching change he's made. The Beverly Smith article is nice. It's apparently directed more toward introducing Jason to a Canadian audience. U.S. fans already know the thoughtful, fun and enthusiastic person Jason is. It's cool hearing about his burgeoning friendship with Janny Med, etc., but I know how lovely Jason is. I met him in person and I was the happy, honored recipient of one of his warm and loving hugs. He hugs strangers he's just met with a huge, genuine smile. He's a great person and a fantastc skater. BTW @WildRose, I don't think it's a question of Jason needing more artistic difficulty. He's already an artist, and the fp choreo in and of itself is fine. The problem is largely with the fp music, IMHO.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
My suggestions for Jason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2J1rgD8iY Peter Pan soundtrack It could work maybe -- at least there's a concept :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raI38f_xMZE The Lost Boys soundtrack (there's a boss rendition of Elton John's Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me; and other cool rock 'n roll songs)

And if folk songs/ ballads are desired for Jason, please check out the best of Cat Stevens please! There's plenty that can be found in Cat Stevens' music and lyrics that has a lot of meaning and depth. I understand music choices are a matter of taste and preference, but I see nothing in the S&G medley that actually sings (as Dick Button would say) or that has any meaning and resonance for the journey of discovery Jason is currently exploring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR0N8SMZJWQ The Best of Cat Stevens (Great first selection: Sitting
lyrics:
Oh I'm on my way, I know I am
Somewhere not so far from here
All I know is all I feel right now
I feel the power growing in my hair

Sitting on my own, not by myself
Everybody's here with me
I don't need to touch your face to know
And I don't need to use my eyes to see...

Now life is like a maze, doors and all
And they all open from the side you're on
Just keep on pushing hard boy, try as you may
You're gonna wind up where you started from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DTLkuL2ebk Wild World cut sounds better on this track: Cat Stevens Greatest Hits; And I love The Wind
lyrics:
I listen to the wind
To the wind of my soul
Where I’ll end up well I think
Only God really knows
I’ve sat upon the setting sun
But never, never never never
I never wanted water once
No, never, never, never

I listen to my words but
They fall far below
I let my music take me where
My heart wants to go

I swam upon the devil’s lake
But never, never never never
I’ll never make the same mistake
No, never, never, never

Cat Stevens' Peace Train is also wonderful!
Now I’ve been happy lately, thinking about the good things to come
And I believe it could be, something good has begun
Oh I’ve been smiling lately, dreaming about the world as one
And I believe it could be, some day it’s going to come
Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

I realize that cutting music selections to work well is not that easy, and that everything doesn't quite suit a figure skating program. And sometimes it's best not to use lyrics that are too literal. But as far as I'm concerned, there's very little working with the current S&G medley. The final S&G cut picks up the beat at the very end, but it doesn't seem to have any relevance to the bland, overly quiet and contemplative opening cuts. At least Cat Stevens is saying something that seems to have a lot more resonance and depth for the journey Jason is on. If Wilson, Wilson and Orser are purposely going for something bland and frothy for Jason, oh well. :COP:

JMHO and suggestions. Obviously, Peter Pan, The Lost Boys, and Cat Stevens don't have to be the direction Jason takes, but there's plenty in these offerings that are better than the froth Jason currently has for a fp. I'm still waiting for an explanation of the impetus and meaning behind the S&G medley and I haven't seen it explained anywhere yet.

sus2850

Beverly Smith has written an article about Jason's move & settling in with his new coaches; his friendship with Evgenia, and competing at ACI:

https://bevsmithwrites.com/jason-brown-his-light-falls-on-toronto/

It's a great read.

Thank you for posting, the interview is really interesting. But some parts also make me sad. I wonder for example who would have helped Evgenia Medvedeva if Jason had not offered to pick her up and set up her phone. Do they have no support team at the club to help foreign skaters to settle in?

I am hoping both Jason and Evgenia are able to fulfill their hopes with Orser. I am a bit skeptical though. Both looked a bit lost on the ice at their first challenger. And the move to Orser has recently not helped skaters who decided to switch to his team like Helgesson or Tursynbaeva.
And reworking a technique reminds me of Mao Asada who never managed to get back on top after relearning everything. But of course I‘ll be happy if their efforts are successful in the end. Both Jason and Evgenia are such unique skaters.

Jaana

About Orser´s support team and Brown picking up Medvedeva (and her mother) from the airport, I´m sure that happened because Brown wanted to do it... What a great opportunity for him to become friends with a Russian star!

About training in Toronto I think that for Medvedeva things will be a lot easier, because she is 5 years younger, will be only 19 in November.

To me Brown´s S&G music is not that much different from his previous freeskate music in recent seasons.

GreatLakesGal

I am hoping both Jason and Evgenia are able to fulfill their hopes with Orser. I am a bit skeptical though. Both looked a bit lost on the ice at their first challenger. And the move to Orser has recently not helped skaters who decided to switch to his team like Helgesson or Tursynbaeva.
And reworking a technique reminds me of Mao Asada who never managed to get back on top after relearning everything. But of course I‘ll be happy if their efforts are successful in the end. Both Jason and Evgenia are such unique skaters.

No idea how Evgenia will do but I do wonder about Jason's age. He's almost 24, only a week younger than Hanyu. Learning new jumps at that age is doable but doing a major rework of technique (if that's what they're attempting) would seem almost impossibly difficult--especially when you have to do it under the pressure of competition.

And my guess is that Orser is very skeptical that it can be done and that's why he made a point of saying that it was Tracy Wilson and not himself who pushed for taking Jason on as a student.

GreatLakesGal

From aftershocks' post #461, the S&G lyrics Jason is skating to:

Old friends, old friends,
Sat on their park bench like bookends
A newspaper blown through the grass
Falls on the round toes
of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sun
The sounds of the city sifting through trees
Settles like dust on the shoulders of the old friends...

So is this why Jason was dressed like an elderly man for this program? An elderly man in baggy clothing?

The S&G music is fine in itself. But it's a terrible choice for a competitive skating program. Perhaps a more gifted choreographer could make it work but David Wilson (with Bezic?) certainly didn't. Much of the choreography--when there was actual choreography--did not remotely fit the music. Even if Jason's skating of it improves, it will still not be a good program.

I have not always been the greatest Rohene Ward fan but he's a genius compared to David Wilson.

antmanb

I personally agree that the LP is a miss, but this is a rebuilding season. Jason and his coaches know best about what they want to achieve in this season and next. If he sticks with a duff programme just to go through with it and learn what he needs to, so be it. If next season produces similarly bad programme(s?) then I would start to worry.

For now he has to do what he's planned.

Tavi

So, I was at ACI.

Like many of you, I’m not a big fan of the FS - not the music, not the choreo - which I agree didn’t highlight the music - and not the costume, which I would describe as wretched. The fact that he was extremely nervous didn’t help. My sense is that they threw everything out there to see what he could do under pressure, and will pull back from here.

On the other hand, I thought the SP showed he has already made good progress technically. I’ve seen him live several times before, and his SS and 3A have markedly improved. It’s a good vehicle for him, and I’m looking forward to seeing it grow.

As to his jumps, I don’t think it’s necessarily too late for him to revamp his technique. He already shows progress. Some jumps - even in competition - showed less of a delay in rotation and tighter rotation. I would add that he landed a decent 4S right in front of me in practice. The way I see it, showing some progress under the pressure of competition, with not-Kori at the boards, after having been with a new coaching team for less than 4 months, is pretty good.

I would love for them to dump the FS, but would be surprised if they do. So I remind myself that although I initially hated the music for Piano and thought the choreo for Hamilton wasn’t great, they were both ultimately successful programs for him. And that whether I hate the music or choreo isn’t as important as how he feels about it, because that’s what will affect his delivery. The choreo strikes me as similar to stuff we’ve seen in Patrick Chan’s programs, with a few random Jason moves (Russian split, etc) thrown in. If they temporarily take the quad out, change the costume (Please - it’s worse in person!!!) and tweak the choreo, maybe it will work, at least well enough, once he’s less nervous. Fingers crossed.

aftershocks

Banned Member
To me Brown´s S&G music is not that much different from his previous freeskate music in recent seasons.

Oh, baby baby, it's a Wild World :rofl: Sometimes a dumbfounding world too. :rolleyes: Sure, sure @Jaana. :drama:

Obviously, there's no accounting for how people perceive things. :duh: Jason's never skated to music as bland and going nowhere as the S&G fp medley, in his life. If you are perhaps referencing the below wonderful program to The Piano, I mean, maybe you need to take an Introduction to Understanding Music class. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxtt1O6S3Zo 2018 4CCs

It's fitting that the above was Jason's final competition with Kori. If you can't see any difference between how invested Jason is in expressing the beauty and depth of The Piano vs the aimless meandering of the S&G opening cuts and the cheesy random lyrics of Old Friends, oh well. To each their f'ing own.

Frankly, I have to question people thinking the current fp selection is worthy of Jason's talent. I mean differences in tastes are one thing, and different perceptions are to be expected, but comparing the current fp with anything Jason has done previously and calling it similar is rather ridiculous. Maybe some true fans are reluctant to criticize and somehow wish to encourage and support regardless of whether the fp is working or not, simply because Jason has made a change and few wish to say anything critical. Perhaps such reluctance to criticize the new fp is out of fear that doing so may be seen as discouraging Jason's move or casting aspersions upon his new coaching team. NOT!

As I said before, I agree with Jason making a change, and I know it will take time for him to adjust and that it's very early and the growth process is proceeding apace. But that's not going to make me act as if music that doesn't work is working. It's funny to me that there have been so many critics of Jason's work with Rohene. So many people didn't like or understand Hamilton, and other programs. But this piece of bland S&G medley froth some people are reluctant to criticize. Ummm, okay. Perhaps some of you are not so much fans of Jason then. Twiddly dee, twiddly dum.

Even despite Kevin Aymoz not coming near to Jason's talent in a lot of respects, no one can say that Aymoz didn't scorch the ice with his emotional intensity, full belief and conviction for the fp music he skated to at AC!!! He brought tears to his own eyes as well as to the eyes of many of those watching: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u61vv?playlist=x6143x (Aymoz' conviction landed him third in fp, pulling up from 8th in sp to 5th overall)

I'm not saying any of this to discourage Jason. I want to light a fire under Jason! I want Jason to be lifted up! I want Jason to find his motivation and to go out on the ice full of bear and full of belief in himself and his extraordinary abilities!

Here are the full lyrics to Cat Stevens' Wild World ... Just sayin' :COP: :watch:

Now that I've lost everything to you
You say you want to start something new
And it's breaking my heart you're leaving
Baby, I'm grieving

But if you want to leave, take good care
Hope you have a lot of nice things to wear
But then a lot of nice things turn bad out there

Oh baby baby it's a wild world
It's hard to get by just upon a smile
I'll always remember you like a child, girl

You know I've seen a lot of what the world can do
And it's breaking my heart in two
'Cause I never want to see you sad girl
Don't be a bad girl

But if you want to leave take good care
Hope you make a lot of nice friends out there
But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware
Beware

It's hard to get by just upon a smile...

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I'm not saying this to discourage Jason, either. I think he should explore the various styles of music. Wild World is okay, but I can think of several songs that might even work better.

Therefore, if he likes Wild World, I think he may also like this song:

Mockingbird - Carly Simon & James Taylor

aftershocks

Banned Member
Learning new jumps at that age is doable but doing a major rework of technique (if that's what they're attempting) would seem almost impossibly difficult--especially when you have to do it under the pressure of competition.

I'm personally not so worried about that. Why compare Jason's age with Hanyu's age? They are totally different skaters with very different trajectories within the skating world. It's not always about skaters' ages in any case, since all skaters have varying development cycles. Johnny Weir didn't start skating until the age of 11-12, and he taught himself to land an axel jump! Weir became Junior World champion about four years after he began skating for the first time. He was obviously athletic and he'd won awards as an equestrian of course. His equestrian experience is what gave him such beautiful, erect posture. Adam Rippon rejuvenated his career and he successfully reworked his axel technique under Raf, even despite not being able to significantly improve his choppy cross-over technique.

Mao Asada and other skaters worked on changing their technique mid-stream in their careers. It takes a lot of courage and hard work and setbacks, but it's not impossible to successfully achieve.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm not saying this to discourage Jason, either. I think he should explore the various styles of music. Wild World is okay, but I can think of several songs that might even work better.

Therefore, if he likes Wild World, I think he may also like this song:

Mockingbird - Carly Simon & James Taylor

:D I love it. That would work too, IMO. Any of us could pick something better for Jason than this current fp S&G medledy. And that's not to put down S&G. Alex Johnson's performance to Eleanor Rigby (instrumental) some years ago was transformational. S&G songs have been popular recently, but mostly as updated cover versions: e.g., Vanessa/Morgan's transcendent fp two seasons ago to Disturbed's version of The Sounds of Silence. And Sui/Han's championship-winning fp to a version of A Bridge Over Troubled Water that same season.

The problem with Old Friends is that it simply doesn't work for Jason as a compelling fp. The song itself is fine as a S&G song. It's about their friendship and their singing partnership over many years. But what has it got to do with Jason exactly? A skater needs to be motivated by their music. What is the impetus for this selection? Because it's a song David Wilson and Sandra Bezic like? Then let them skate to it. Please find something different for Jason, including a new fp costume! I recognize that time has been invested and that it's easier said than done to make program changes. I think they need to scrap the whole fp rather than trying to tinker with it. To save face, they may come back with this program at Jason's next competition. And sure Jason could possibly skate cleanly to it, but so what! The music simply does not work, and so skating clean is not going to give the program the impact it lacks. And as I've said, and others have reiterated, it's not about the choreo. It's that even the choreo isn't really going with the music.

My Peter Pan and The Lost Boys soundtrack suggestions, are just something I threw out there to think about that at least have concepts which Jason could maybe relate to. It doesn't mean there will be inspiration or motivation to be found with any of those particular tracks. I'm just trying to offer suggestions and constructive criticism. It's up to Jason to speak up for himself. If he feels this season is a wash and he's willing to go with a fp he's not motivated by, then whatever. There's little impact with this current fp, and skating clean is not going to make much difference. Plus, when music doesn't work, a skater has to expend way too much energy trying to focus, and when tech things go wrong, the music cannot help. Poor music just makes the tech problems seem worse.

I really enjoy Cat Stevens, and I've been hoping skaters might discover his music, although of course he's from a different generation and he stopped singing years ago and changed his name and his religion. I don't think there are many if any updated covers of Cat Stevens' music. But I think there's a veritable treasure trove to be found in his music. I suggested Cat Stevens as an alternative for Jason partly because Stevens' work is in the ballad/ folk song genre and he's of the same generation as Simon & Garfunkel. Obviously, Jason & Co could scrap the folk/ballad genre and go in a completely different direction. Whatever, I just hope they do not keep this currently going nowhere S&G medley.

Eh, the season has hardly begun. There's plenty of time to do a big rework or even scrap the program in favor of another.

Yes, there is time, but only if they make a bold and determined decision without hemming and hawing and tinkering, and second-guessing, or trying needlessly to save face. No 'face' needs to be saved. When something doesn't work, it doesn't work, period. Figure skating is not rocket science.

So I remind myself that although I initially hated the music for Piano and thought the choreo for Hamilton wasn’t great, they were both ultimately successful programs for him.

I agree with most of your post. Obviously, there have been different takes regarding Jason's programs in the past. The difference here is that no amount of different tastes, viewpoints and perspectives is going to change the fact that this S&G medley simply does not work as a program concept for Jason Brown. No matter who likes or dislikes Hamilton and The Piano, Jason and Rohene were motivated and inspired by that music to create wonderful programs that suited Jason, and that worked and grew over the course of a long season.

IMHO, there was never anything wrong with either Hamilton or The Piano music choices. It only took awhile for some fans to catch on. Wake me when/if Jason's fp to this current S&G medley ever catches on with anyone who has ears, eyesight, good musical instincts, and a love for Jason and for figure skating.

Last edited:

WildRose

If they temporarily take the quad out, change the costume (Please - it’s worse in person!!!) and tweak the choreo, maybe it will work, at least well enough, once he’s less nervous. Fingers crossed.

Seems to me the objective for Jason would be to get the quad *in*;). Folks really need to be patient here - this stuff takes time and it can be very frustrating when all you can do is watch. Give them a chance to do the work - it’s a slow process - think years not months. I really respect Jason for giving it a go. He’s one of the few skaters who could quit and still get enough work touring internationally, but clearly he still wants to push himself technically and compete. I thought I could already see some improvement in the short program - his fans should be very encouraged.😃

Rock2

I think the choices for Jason are just fine. The LP is a concept/mood piece and not as difficult as other things he's done with Rohene. For him and Evgenia, this year is about getting comfortable in new surroundings and laying the foundation for the REAL work that will happen after this season ends. The stuff you can work on now is off ice, SS and some minor tweaks to jumps. And training habits to make you stronger and consistent.

If I'm coaching I'm telling both of them that they need to tour as little as feasible so that some serious work can start in the spring on technical changes. Not in July. IMHO I'm not fussing over anything I see from either of them until this time next year. For this year, you want to make what they already have 10% better to help them get on the world team.

Tavi

Seems to me the objective for Jason would be to get the quad *in*;). Folks really need to be patient here - this stuff takes time and it can be very frustrating when all you can do is watch. Give them a chance to do the work - it’s a slow process - think years not months. I really respect Jason for giving it a go. He’s one of the few skaters who could quit and still get enough work touring internationally, but clearly he still wants to push himself technically and compete. I thought I could already see some improvement in the short program - his fans should be very encouraged.😃

Yes I agree - I too saw improvements. And we don’t disagree that he needs to put the quad in competition. I just think they might wait a bit on that bc his 4S doesn’t seem that consistent in practice yet. But I’m not the coach, so we’ll see what happens. 😊

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think the choices for Jason are just fine. The LP is a concept/mood piece and not as difficult as other things he's done with Rohene.

I disagree. What concept, what mood??? Fp music is not working. No amount of soft-pedaling and distracting on topics I am not talking about is going to change that fact. Again, if Jason & his new coaching team decide to stay with this S&G medley fp, fine. Let them. It isn't even about whether or not this fp is as difficult as programs choreographed by Rohene. Where are people getting that notion? :huh: I'm talking about the fp music NOT working at all for Jason. Even his first reaction was that he didn't like the fp music. Jason should go with his first instinct. He's the one who is out on the ice having to compete this program. It's going to be a long season if he keeps this music. It simply does not work. If they wish to force it to work, that's their business.

The boss sp is by Rohene, so I really do not get what the heck you are trying to say in terms of Jason not supposed to be doing difficult choreo this season because he's relearning technique. If that's their supposed reasoning for selecting poor fp music, I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth. This is a great sp for Jason, with perhaps the best ever triple axel I've seen Jason land: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY3xh5m5hzU
So if Jason could get more motivating music for his fp, I think it would be less distracting and it would take some weight off his shoulders. It's easier to skate a program to music that you are in tune with and inspired by, regardless of the reworking technique excuse every excuse-maker is hawking on here.

See above @WildRose. You clearly are not addressing anything I have been discussing. There's no question that Jason rocked the sp, and he was quite comfortable with the technique and with his performance, landing one of his best ever triple axels.

Nothing I personally have been saying that I'm not down with regarding the fp music has anything to do with the fact Jason is reworking his technique to master the quad. Obviously that work will take time. Who has said that it won't take time?

WildRose

Yes I agree - I too saw improvements. And we don’t disagree that he needs to put the quad in competition. I just think they might wait a bit on that bc his 4S doesn’t seem that consistent in practice yet. But I’m not the coach, so we’ll see what happens. 😊
I see your point and might have agreed 5 years ago but the quad isn’t optional any longer - whether he lands it or not, it’s gotta be in the program just like the triple axel. He needs to get it in there and deal with it when he doesn’t land it, make it part of his program every time.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

About Orser´s support team and Brown picking up Medvedeva (and her mother) from the airport, I´m sure that happened because Brown wanted to do it... What a great opportunity for him to become friends with a Russian star!

About training in Toronto I think that for Medvedeva things will be a lot easier, because she is 5 years younger, will be only 19 in November.

Evgenia has a solid grasp of English as well, as evidenced by an interview she gave at the Autumn Classic. with Ted Flett.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I see your point and might have agreed 5 years ago but the quad isn’t optional any longer - whether he lands it or not, it’s gotta be in the program just like the triple axel. He needs to get it in there and deal with it when he doesn’t land it, make it part of his program every time.

I was impressed that without a quad, Jason earned close to 90 points for his short.

But with one (and a clean short), he'd probably be looking at around 95 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information