UPDATED: Jason Brown to Brian Orser (official)

Tavi

Brian teaches a different technique. Jason will have relearn his triple sal and toe before moving onto quads. Watch Gogolev. He doesn’t bring his free leg through on those jump

Thanks for the info. I’ve heard he’s jumping well and have seen a couple of recent clips with flip and Lutz but not toe or sal. I’m guessing they’ll want to right the ship with 3A before he attempts quads.

Willin

@MacMadame I don't think there's anything wrong. I think it's textbook for triples. The problem I've heard is that while his technique works very well for triples it's not necessarily optimal for quads. Admittedly there's been a good amount of videos of him doing gorgeous 4Ts, so maybe that jump's all mental. For other quads it's possible a technical change is needed.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^ I recall Brian saying that Jason’s technique isn’t bad; just slightly different than what he teaches. He specifically mentioned that he teaches skaters to initiate rotation sooner. I’m no expert, but in a recent clip I saw, it looks like he’s starting to do that with flip and Lutz.

ETA here’s the clip (warning he falls on a spin!!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zfs_P9DeTjc

It looks like an exhibition. When did it take place? Jason skated a second performance to a familiar program (Sunshine in My Pocket).

Tavi

It looks like an exhibition. When did it take place? Jason skated a second performance to a familiar program (Sunshine in My Pocket).

He did a benefit for the ISI World Recreational Team Championships in Marlborough, Massachusetts last Friday. He did two programs; I picked this one bc it shows the jumps better. The other was the Justin Timberlake you mentioned, which he originally did for the SOI tour. I didn’t go to the benefit but @missing did - she gave a brief report in Jason’s fan thread. Happily, @katmari found these videos! :)

Japanfan

Do you really want to argue about this? I don’t know Brian at all, but Doug Haw, who’s a close friend of Brian’s, said on a TSL recap that Brian wont take a skater if he thinks he’s maxed out. So let’s rephrase that to “In my opinion, Brian would not take Jason on if he didn’t think he could get quads.” Happy?

Appreciate the "In my opinion".

But I'm not sure if "maxed out" = getting a quad. It could also mean improving existing triples, learning a more difficult triple combo, getting more difficult spins and footwork. The overall being maxing out possible.

I guess we'll have to wait until next season and see what happens.

If Brian is able to train Jason to execute a consistent quad, more power to both of them.

mackiecat

Yes he has good te nixie for triples. He does his sal and toe great as a triple. That technique doesn’t work for quads well though. Brian just teaches a different way so that those triples can become quads. It is common when you go to another coach to have to go back and relearn jumps

Tavi

Jason flutzes.

People have commented on this before and I did notice it especially in this clip - more than I usually do. He and Evgenia can take remedial Lutz class together. :EVILLE:

@mackiecat I’m pretty sure changing his technique to work for quads was one reason he went to Orser. :) Do have any sense how long making a change like this takes? Though given his injury this spring, I’m just happy to see nice triples.

Jammers

People have commented on this before and I did notice it especially in this clip - more than I usually do. He and Evgenia can take remedial Lutz class together. :EVILLE:

@mackiecat I’m pretty sure changing his technique to work for quads was one reason he went to Orser. :) Do have any sense how long making a change like this takes? Though given his injury this spring, I’m just happy to see nice triples.
What injury did Jason have in the spring?

Tavi

What injury did Jason have in the spring?

In April during Stars on Ice he sprained an ankle - I believe he slipped on some confetti that somehow made its way to the ice. Pretty sure he didn’t jump at all (including split jumps) in May, was very limited in June, and started full jump training in July.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Some odd history rewriting in this thread. Jason did used to flutz; as a Junior it was quite bad. He and Kori put in a lot of remedial work around 2013-2015 and it cleared up to be about a ! on a good day and e if he was very tired/injured.

skateboy

Some odd history rewriting in this thread. Jason did used to flutz; as a Junior it was quite bad. He and Kori put in a lot of remedial work around 2013-2015 and it cleared up to be about a ! on a good day and e if he was very tired/injured.
Jason flutzed all last season. Take a look at Jason's "jump explanation" video that he made just before the Olympics: the lutz is absolutely a flutz: https://youtu.be/iKulecXlyFs?t=1m50s

Everyone is concerned about Jason's quad and 3axel, but I'm far more concerned about his 3z.

DreamSkates

You don’t need to guess. :lol:The *last* thing Jason Brown, who has a steely resolve and determined work ethic, needs is a drill sargent. Or any toughening up. He’s plenty tough already. Thank heavens that’s not what Brian intends to do, from what I can tell:D

And I haven’t seen any coach take a “mommy” role toward Jason. Unless you mean that noted soft touch Frank Carroll, who has praised his obvious work ethic.;)

So looking forward to the next season:cheer2:
Maybe it was the hand-holding and shoulder-hugging activity in the Kiss & Cry with Kori. Coaches can have a role somewhat like a parent. Kori was Jason's coach from a young age. He is in his 20's now, so a change may be necessary.

DreamSkates

That would be a valid point...except the jumps are precisely what is holding him back. So who cares about the other aspects?
Spinning and footwork aren't important? Let's list some skaters with the jumps, but not much artistry. Jason has earned more points than some skaters with a quad.

MAXSwagg

Spinning and footwork aren't important? Let's list some skaters with the jumps, but not much artistry. Jason has earned more points than some skaters with a quad.

You completely twisted the words. Jason already has fantastic spins and footwork. When talking about why Jason can’t break into the top group, it’s because of the quads. Whatever little game you tried to play with that, you failed.

DreamSkates

You completely twisted the words. Jason already has fantastic spins and footwork. When talking about why Jason can’t break into the top group, it’s because of the quads. Whatever little game you tried to play with that, you failed.
YOUR WORDS: "So who cares about the other aspects?" Whatever game you are playing with your words, I am not. It's just a comment. This is not the be all end all of what happens in figure skating.

GreatLakesGal

So now that Boyang will not be coming to TCC, does this mean Orser is likely to give more of his time/focus to Jason?

It did seem to me that Brian was overextending himself a bit by taking on so many new skaters. Thoughts?

ChiquitaBanana

So now that Boyang will not be coming to TCC, does this mean Orser is likely to give more of his time/focus to Jason?

It did seem to me that Brian was overextending himself a bit by taking on so many new skaters. Thoughts?

I missed something... Why is he not coming to TCC?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't remember an explanation, but @victorskid posted a tweet announcing a contract between Team Orser and the Chinese Fed to provide "guidance and coaching" for the lead up into Beijing 2022. I'm assuming these will be his roles in working with Jin.

MAXSwagg

YOUR WORDS: "So who cares about the other aspects?" Whatever game you are playing with your words, I am not. It's just a comment. This is not the be all end all of what happens in figure skating.

Are you that dumb or just acting like it?

Tavi

@ChiquitaBanana, it was just announced that he decided not to come:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/boyang-jin-cheer-thread.98102/page-7

@Great Lakes Gal, as to Jason, it’s kind of hard to answer the question.

You could argue that with Joseph Phan apparently joining the TCC team and Brian planning periodic trips to China, Brian may not have any more time for Jason than he would have if Boyang had come.

But I’m not sure that’s the right way to look at it. Jason has been at TCC for about 2 months now. We don’t really know which coaches he works with, or how much of Brian’s time/focus he currently has. But it’s at least likely that Brian has had time to form an impression of him.

I expect that if Brian finds Jason interesting to work with and responsive to his teaching, he’ll work with him as frequently as his schedule and competing priorities permit. On the other hand, if Jason seems to be getting more out of working with other coaches, Brian may work with him less frequently.

I expect we’ll learn more after Champs Camp and his first senior B.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I think Jason benefit from the team approach with Orsers camp and I like the makeover. Unfortunately for the Toronto crew they will have less of Brian as he is not just Coaching Boyang but Team China..considering the distance and competition season that means less time.

bardtoob

I think Jason benefit from the team approach with Orsers camp and I like the makeover. Unfortunately for the Toronto crew they will have less of Brian as he is not just Coaching Boyang but Team China..considering the distance and competition season that means less time.

Orser sounds like he is spread too thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information