Ukrainian skaters' migration to other countries

IDC a.k.a. Ritti

Thank you for sharing this link and story. Donated.
More about his story (article in Finnish):

Valtter Virtanen and his wife/coach Alina Meyer-Virtanen invited Kyrylo Marsak to train with them, and offered him a place to stay. He also took part in the Team Finland internal 'test competition' last weekend.

airgelaal

Ukrainian skater Lubov Zholobova is training in Champéry:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CbOB0B9ocAk/

"It happens that your life in gone in one moment. Everything is taken from you, things you lived for, woke up for, you were running, flying... Ravenous men came and bombed all your dreams... But thank God there are those who bring light and love!!! I'm flying again..."
And and article in Ukrainian about Lubov and her training in Champery. It's such a great story 😍

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
FYI Kyrylo posted an update on his GoFundMe page today, and he is halfway to his goal, and was able to purchase tickets to compete in the Latvian Junior Grand Prix event. An excerpt:

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who decided to support me and transferred money to me. With the collected money, I was able to buy tickets for my first Grand Prix stage of this season in Riga. I am very grateful to everyone who helped, but in order to raise the whole amount I need more help from you, that is why I ask you to repost my GoFundMe link and this post. Doing this you will help me a lot!!! Thanks for your attention, your help and support!

The link to his GoFundMe is: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-for-ukrainian-athletes

airgelaal

Andrii Kokura plans not only to take part in the Nebelhorn, but also in the film festival

This year, Filmfest Hamburg (29 September-8 October) will host film-festival participants from the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, for the first time. “We will be happy to provide the Molodist Kyiv International Film Festival with the use of our festival sites in Hamburg,” says Albert Wiederspiel, director of the German event.
Ukrainian short and full-length films will be screened from 30 September-5 October at the Alabama cinema, located on the premises of the Kampnagel cultural centre in Hamburg. The jury will determine the winner and hand out the prize accordingly. “We will show two or three films a day. Of course, a number of interesting guests are also expected,” the director of the German festival promised.

The features on the line-up are Sniper. The White Raven by Marian Bushan (Ukraine), Butterfly Vision by Maksym Nakonechnyi (Croatia/Czech Republic/Sweden/Ukraine), Pamfir by Dmytro Sukholytkyy-Sobchuk (Ukraine/France/Poland/Chile/Luxembourg/Germany), Slovo House. Unfinished Novel by Taras Tomenko (Ukraine), Pokut by Andrii Kokura (Ukraine), Between Us by Solomiia Tomashcuk (Ukraine) and Stop-Zemlia by Kateryna Gornostai (Ukraine).
Some words from Andrii

My debut full-length feature film "Pokut'" will be presented first in Hamburg, where this year cause of russian invasion @molodist_kiff national competition take place (52 years to festival already). Two years of my production concentrated here to 75 minutes of film. Thank to my dad, actors who trusted and agreed for my adventure and to everyone who helped:) Hope it will be good start to our films journey.

And the trailer

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Goldenskate article on Mariia Andriichuk, written by Paula Slater

She now trains in Latvia and will make her senior international debut at Finlandia Trophy. Her programs are:

SP: Caught Out in the Rain by Beth Hart, choreographed by Vadym Chestakhovskyi and Mark Nechiporenko (her 2021-22 SP)

FS: On the Waves by Evgeny Grinko, choreographed by Vadym Chestakhovskyi

Sylvia

TBD
Ivan Shmuratko's post earlier today (Sept. 8): https://www.instagram.com/p/CiQcm-soA0N/
As for the time of writing these words I've left the team of Michael Huth, Robert Dierking and Anna Bernauer.
I'm beyond grateful to their team for organizing my life & training process here in Oberstdorf and giving me a chance to skate, the thing I need for living.
Next stepping stone for me would be Nebelhorn Trophy, which is in less than two weeks from now, so I have to stay focused and continue giving my best on the ice every day.
I know you have a lot of questions, but I think if you are reading till here you probably trust me. Everything is alright, it's not a problem, just a puzzle to solve.
I will give you an update about my new coaching team as soon as possible.

As Timon and Pumbaa said- "Hakunamatata"
Have a good night, we are moving forward...

Sincerely,
IS

Sylvia

TBD
And here's Shmuratko's update today (Sept. 14): https://www.instagram.com/p/CifWDJ6IzuN/
Grateful to @lorenz.magri & @young.goose.academy.official for giving me an opportunity to prepair for Nebelhorn Trophy here in Egna with your skating family!

I am not leaving Oberstdorf and I am so happy to feel people being sincerely open to help me all around the globe!
Thank you, world!

Warm regards,
IS

reut

Sylvia

TBD
Dancing On Ice star helps Ukrainian figure skater, 7, after he flees war to UK :love:
Follow up report 8 months later, back in Ukraine (Dec. 26): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UaXWYv8dOU
Gosha Mandziuk, 7, and his mother Iryna arrived in the UK under the Homes for Ukraine scheme in April 2022.

After appearing on Sky News, Dancing On Ice star Matt Evers reached out to help train Gosha, who competes nationally back home and was also part of an ice hockey team

Now he and Iryna have made the tough decision to return to Kyiv.

Filmed outdoors at Vieux-Port de Montréal in December 2022 by Jordan Cowan:
Ukrainian Ice Dancers Mariia Holubtsova & Kyryl Bielobrov perform their 2023 Senior Free Dance to "I'll Keep Coming", "Bones", "Don't Be So Serious", and "Without You" by @LOWROARMUSIC, Andrew Scheps, and Ryan Joseph Karazija.
Choreography by Mariia Tumanovska-Chaika. Music editing by Hugo Choinard. Costume by Mariia Holubtsova.
Mariia & Kyryl are coached by the Ice Academy of Montreal team in Montreal (including Romain Haguenauer, Patrice Lauzon and Marie-France Dubreuil).

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting Phil Hersh's very compelling article on Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia here and in the U.S. Pairs news thread:
Excerpts:
Dnipro, a city of nearly one million inhabitants in east-central Ukraine, had been largely spared the war’s horror until Saturday, when a Russian missile devastated most of a civilian apartment block and killed more than 40 people. The missile destroyed some six dozen apartments and also blew out windows in nearby residential buildings, displacing many other people.
Via text message, Oltmanns said the families of both Smirnova and Siianytsia were safe.
“I feel really bad waking up and seeing the news like that, that the places where you were hanging out with your friends as a young kid are being destroyed and also I feel really sad for the people that were impacted by that explosion,” Siianytsia said in a Sunday text message forwarded by the coach.
Both Smirnova, 18, and Siianytsia, 22, last saw members of their families in person after the World Junior Figure Skating Championships nine months ago in Estonia. Smirnova’s mother was able to get from a refugee camp in Poland to Estonia. Siianytsia saw his mother and sister, now 5 years old, at a refugee camp in Poland, where they spent three months immediately following the Russian invasion. Their mothers eventually returned to Ukraine to be with their husbands, who under the country’s wartime martial law can’t leave in case they are called to fight.
Siianytsia’s mother, stepfather, sister and stepbrother and Smirnova’s mother, stepfather and stepsister all have been back for several months in Dnipro, which has become home to more than 100,000 refugees from besieged far eastern Ukraine. Danger sirens have sounded in Dnipro more than 1,000 times in the past 11 months, but nearly all have fortunately not been followed by an attack.
“As a male who could serve (in the military), I felt guilty I had left,” Siianytsia said. “We both talked to therapists.”
He talks with his family at least once a day, she multiple times. Both their stepfathers serve in a local defense group that Siianytsia likened to a neighborhood watch.
“I read pro-Ukrainian news only, to go with the positive instead of the negative,” he said. “That helps a little.”

Last edited:

airgelaal

From an interview with Ivan and Violetta
Before the [full-scale] war, the situation was actually not too bad. Two more younger pairs started practicing with our coach, who could already compete in the Advanced Novice category, and after a year or two - in the juniors. But now they live in different countries: in Finland, Israel, one guy came to Germany to join us. That's why, unfortunately, there is no one in Ukraine for juniors except for us.

It's hard for me to imagine how hard the war will hit pairs and ice dancing :(

Sylvia

TBD
More about his story (article in Finnish):

Valtter Virtanen and his wife/coach Alina Meyer-Virtanen invited Kyrylo Marsak to train with them, and offered him a place to stay. He also took part in the Team Finland internal 'test competition' last weekend.
Thanks @IDC a.k.a. Ritti for tweeting this follow-up (March 4) Finnish article on Kyrylo Marsak (21st at Euros, 15th at Junior Worlds; Worlds in Japan is next) that includes some nice photos:

Machine translated excerpts:
Otto and Christa Mayer, Alina's parents from Germany, took Kyrylo to live in Vaajakoski. Otto and Christa had moved to Finland to be close to their grandchild, Valtteri and Alina's 2-year-old daughter. Christa, who is retired, lives in Finland permanently, but Otto, as an IT entrepreneur, travels between Finland and Germany.
"I've had a good life, so I want to help others," Otto says on the phone.
"We are like a small family and very close," Kyrylo says and smiles.
A smile brings warmth to a serious face and brown eyes light up.
At the time of the interview, Kyrylo has just participated in the first European Championships of his career in Espoo. He reached the 21st place, and the young man is not satisfied with the result. With the short program and advancing to the next round, skating looked promising, but in the morning before the figure skating free program, Kyrylo received very bad news.
"My coach in Ukraine had passed away. The morning was difficult and I had to hide my emotions all day because I had to focus on the race. It affected my performance.”
Kyrylo knew that his coach was sick, but the parents had wanted to protect Kyrylo from the seriousness of the illness. After his own free program, Kyrylo let his emotions out and he got to talk with fellow competitors and his coach Alina.
During his stay in Finland, Kyrylo has kept in touch with his family by phone using FaceTime. However, there are a lot of power outages in Ukraine, and FaceTime calls are not possible without an internet connection.
"Parents may be without electricity and heat for 12 hours straight. However, I try to keep in close contact with them. They don't always tell me everything about their situation because they want to protect me."
Kyrylo's father is 47 years old and conscripted, and naturally cannot leave the country. The mother, on the other hand, wants to stay by her husband's side.
"Fortunately, father has not been sent to the front, at least not yet. However, you never know when the invitation will come. I fear for my parents. Fortunately, my sister is safe in Poland," says Kyrylo.
Just over a year ago, Kyrylo could not have imagined something like this happening, when his whole life was still ahead of him.
"I can't know about tomorrow. I am so angry and tired of this war. I haven't been home for almost a year. I've never been away from my family for more than two weeks before," Kyrylo says - and adds:
"I cannot return to Ukraine until the end of the war. I hope the war will end soon."
ETA:
Kyrylo Marsak, 17, created a GFM page today [August 8, 2022]: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-for-ukrainian-athletes

Last edited:

airgelaal

Interview with Kyrylo Marsak after his SP
Some quotes

About the help of the Finnish "Peurunka Figure Skating Academy" in Laukaa
Thanks to this club, I am where I am. If it wasn't for Alina and Valtter [Virtanen], I don't know if I would have managed to improve my skating so much. They help me a lot. I still skate almost for free. Alina is a good coach, we worked well. She helped me make my name. Presentation, skating skills became much better. I have a stability that I didn't have before.
Do I plan to continue training there? Yes. As unfortunate as it may be, I have no one to train with in Ukraine. Therefore, I will return to Finland. My coaching staff is there now.

About the presence of Russian coaches at the World Cup, in particular Eteri Tutberidze
It's unpleasant to be on the same rink with them, but we can't do anything about it, unfortunately. That's what I do [ignore them]. They don't interest me, and I don't interest them.

About returning to Ukraine
I am very happy that I will be able to see my parents. Of course I want to go home and I'll go, but I'm not sure if it's safe enough there.
Also my relatives in Kherson: grandmother, grandfather, aunt. There is shelling there almost every day. It is very difficult for me to think about it. They were under occupation: they spent [in Kherson] the whole time and are still there."

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
About the presence of Russian coaches at the World Cup, in particular Eteri Tutberidze
It's unpleasant to be on the same rink with them, but we can't do anything about it, unfortunately. That's what I do [ignore them]. They don't interest me, and I don't interest them.

He shouldn't be in this situation at all. It honestly makes me angry.

Last edited:

airgelaal

Interview with Ivan Shmuratko

He returned to Kyiv in order to be closer to his doctor. So far, he cannot train on the ice, so he has been training only in the gym for about 2 months. He hopes to compete again next season.
Also, he has not yet chosen a main coach.

About Russian figure skaters, as well as about those who live and train there:

To fight with the fact that someone deliberately travels to russia or lives there... Everyone made their choice. Throughout the year, Ukrainian athletes have been trying to explain to the international community why [russians and Belarusians] were excluded, why sports are part of propaganda, and so are athletes. Unfortunately, not everyone still understands these problems and continues to miss some competitors from there

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
why are they allowed there? If they leave Russia to work in a normal country fine. But jumping in and out while openly supporting the war is not right.
So when exactly has Eteri openly supported the war?
IIRC she has remained rather silent about it.

Out of the Russian coaches who vocally support the war and Putin, only Plushenko, Tarasenko and Sokolovskaya come to mind.

barbarafan

So when exactly has Eteri openly supported the war?
IIRC she has remained rather silent about it.

Out of the Russian coaches who vocally support the war and Putin, only Plushenko, Tarasenko and Sokolovskaya come to mind.
At the beginning of the war there were Z's everywhere was. Yes she has been quiet for a while as part of her strategy and by kissing Putin's as* on the one side she was able to move around and get her daughter and son-in-law out of harms way and situated for continuing their careers. She is now back in the thick of things moving and grooving. Which one of the entourage do you think carries the drugs for their students competing outside of Russia. Eteri has no soul.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
At the beginning of the war there were Z's everywhere was. Yes she has been quiet for a while as part of her strategy and by kissing Putin's as* on the one side she was able to move around and get her daughter and son-in-law out of harms way and situated for continuing their careers. She is now back in the thick of things moving and grooving. Which one of the entourage do you think carries the drugs for their students competing outside of Russia. Eteri has no soul.
Eteri does have her flaws and errors, but parading around Zs and praising Putin for the war is something she has never done. In fact, she also wanted to have all the Zs removed from the ice rinks her show was performed at.

If you want to hate Eteri so much you can find a lot of other things to hate her for, there is plenty of stuff out there even without her supporting the war.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Kyrylo Marsak’s post recapping his 2022-23 season and his acknowledgement of all who supported him (mentions one goal is to qualify for the FS at Montreal Worlds): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq3Hov3oWnl/

Nastia Arkypova’s latest Instagram story says she was not at Nationals because an injury has prevented her from skating for 2 months: https://instagram.com/ms_nastya.arkhypova (she appears to be in Latvia)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Nationals recap article (singles) on UKR federation's website

Machine translation:

Championship of Ukraine: the war makes adjustments (April 11, 2023) by Dmitry Putintsev

The regular championship of Ukraine in figure skating, which ended recently, was not marked by the mass of participants: due to the war against Ukraine launched by the Russian aggressors, many Ukrainian figure skaters could not participate in the competition.

Four athletes competed in men's single skating. The victory was expectedly won by Kyrylo Marsak (Kyiv), who is successfully performing in the current season. He scored 210.46 points, significantly ahead of his rivals. The silver medalist was Gleb Smotrov from Bila Tserkva – 180.82, the bronze medalist was Serhiy Sokolov from Odesa with a result of 151.76 points.
Valery Karasyov, another representative of the White Church, took fourth place - 142.21.

In women's single skating, ten skaters took to the ice. Anastasia Gozhva (Kyiv), who scored 162.30 points, climbed to the top of the podium. The second place went to Taisia Spesivtseva (Kyiv) – 147.39, and Elizaveta Babenko from Kharkiv rounded out the top three – 141.95.
The remaining participants showed the following results:
4. Maria Andriychuk (Bila Tserkva) – 133.55
5. Sofia Grigorenko (Odesa) – 127.17
6. Tetyana Firsova (Kyiv) – 113.55
7. Maria Milinchuk (Kyiv) – 104.11
8. Maria Larionova (Odesa) – 101.48
9. Emilia Kryakhova (Bila Tserkva) – 81.76
10. Maryna Karateeva (Kyiv) – 71.35.

As a reminder, 21-year-old Anastasia Gozhva is the champion of Ukraine in 2016, a two-time silver medalist (2017 and 2022) and a two-time bronze medalist (2018 and 2020) of the championships of Ukraine.
18-year-old Kyrylo Marsak is the bronze medalist of the Championship of Ukraine-2022.

reut

Mariia Holubtsova and Kyryl Bielobrov decided to create Patreon:

Today, we are in the position where we have to find the solution to sustainably fund our trainings, or we won’t be able to continue competing and what even more important for us, we will lose the feeling of happiness and home again.

That is why we decided to create Patreon!

We want not only receive, but also give, that’s why we decided to create it, as the way of communication with the people who willing to help the most.

Link to Patreon:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information