Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
NBC Nightly News' 2/14/22 broadcast today featured Alysa & her dad (includes a taped interview at the Oakland Ice Center):

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Current GOE guidelines https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/24665-isu-communication-2334/file

FOR + 1 : 1 bullet
FOR + 2 : 2 bullets
FOR + 3 : 3 bullets
FOR + 4 : 4 bullets
FOR + 5 : 5 or more bullets

FOR + 4 and +5 THE FIRST THREE bullets highlighted in bold must be present

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence)
2) good take-off and landing
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination)
4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry
5) very good body position from take-off to landing
6) element matches the music

Stephanie

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
My heart goes out to Karen. I hope she tries to repeat the Salchow instead of the loop in her FS.

Am I remembering her jump layout right? I dunno... something is physically wrong, imo, this is not a mental thing.

concorde

My heart goes out to Karen. I hope she tries to repeat the Salchow instead of the loop in her FS.

Am I remembering her jump layout right? I dunno... something is physically wrong, imo, this is not a mental thing.
Karen had really bad luck in the draw - to be right before KV.

Allskate

According to Jackie Wong, Karen has been struggling with the loop in practice. And Mariah has had problems with the 3/3 in practice. Alyssa's biggest problem in practice has been the 3 axel. It's hard to know how much of Karen's loop problems are mental because of her mistake in the team short. According to Jackie, Alyssa already had decided days ago that she would not do the double axel in the short. Karen and Mariah decided not to change their short programs. Especially for Karen, given the entrance to the loop, it is not that easy to change the layout of her program the week of the competition.

I'm not going to get into PCS because I'm already so ticked off about this event.

I'm hoping that all three of them have long programs that make them happy.

Maximillian

RIP TA
FWIW, Alysa Liu is the best scoring US lady in the SP at any Olympiad. She scored higher in the SP than Bradie in 2018, Gracie in 2014, Flatt in 2010, and Sasha in 2006. Cheers!
Considering how many changes scoring has undergone since 2006, plus inflation in terms of PCS and GOEs (not to mention the move from 1-3 GOE to 1-5) I would say that information has about as much relevence as an 8 track cassette tape.

olympic

Considering how many changes scoring has undergone since 2006, plus inflation in terms of PCS and GOEs (not to mention the move from 1-3 GOE to 1-5) I would say that information has about as much relevence as an 8 track cassette tape.
That is why I said 'FWIW' ...

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Lol, God forbid a us lady not conform to hetero normative standards of femininity.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Lol, God forbid a us lady not conform to hetero normative standards of femininity.
Oh, please. She's wearing a glittery dress with a fair amount of Swarovski crystals, made by Mathieu Caron. Isn't she already halfway there?

I don't have a problem with any of these ladies going sans makeup for practices but if you're putting on the pretty dress for competition, you're already setting the expectation that you are trying to conform to hetero normative standards of femininity. So, you might as well go full throttle and have your makeup and hair done well - it wasn't excessive or overdone either. But, it did look nice, clean and neat. Same for Mariah Bell, who also was decidedly un-glam at Nats with her hair and makeup.

Vagabond

I just watched Liu's SP. While there may yet be long-term benefits from the coaching change, it's hard to see any short-term ones in her actual skating.

clairecloutier

A nice article about Karen Chen’s mom—who apparently makes all of Karen’s costumes, and also Wolfkostin/Chen’s too.

The article says that Karen “plans to retire soon from international competition and return to her pre-med studies at Cornell University.”

VGThuy

Well checking the results and…nice for the US to have two ladies in the top 10. While Karen…the best I can say is that she seems to be mirroring Kostner’s career during her first two Olympic cycles (and no I’m not saying Karen should go for a third or fourth one!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information