U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I hope K/F stay on and that C-G/L are able to, but I’m also looking forward to seeing some new or younger teams emerge in the next couple of years, hopefully inspired by the success of K/F and the artistry of C-G/L. Skating needs more pairs and hopefully K/F’s win will inspire a lot more novice or junior skaters to want to give it a try :love:
Just my opinion, but I cannot imagine that her physician would ever clear her to go back to skating. The effects of a concussion are cumulative, affecting balance, memory loss, headaches, dizziness, changes of mood. Retiring is a horrible decision for an elite athlete to make, and they may not be the best person to make that decision. Skaters are hardwired to get up and carry on.

It can be difficult to realize that although skating may have been your life...it was never really your life. It is/was something you did during your life. And there is a whole lot of life left after skating and you want to be around to live it.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Weren’t Plazas/Fernandez on the ISP list? They aren’t now.
I don't think they were on the ISP list at all. They were 3rd in juniors last season and the only two junior teams on the ISP to start the season were Smirnova/Siianytsia and Martins/Bedard. Fleming/Finster were added after the summer comps, but Plazas/Fernandez didn't compete until the 1st National Pairs Qualifier where they finished a distant 2nd to McBeath/Bartholomay. They slightly improved their score at the 2nd qualifier but still finished in 2nd and nearly 20 points behind Smirnova/Siianytsia.

I forgot about Mokhov/Mokhova. Is she finally going to be senior age eligible next season? There's also Fakhroutdinov/Neudecker unless they've split.

Of the junior pairs not previously mentioned... Wong/Weirens, Kam/Meyh and Barrett/Davis showed some potential during the NQS comps, noreso than their Nats scores showed. Deardorff/Pagano were in the same range. I think it's been reported that Lockley/Isbell split, same with both Finster sibs and their partners.

Last edited:

moonvine

Of the junior pairs not previously mentioned... Wong/Weirens, Kam/Meyh and Barrett/Davis showed some potential during the NQS comps, noreso than their Nats scores showed. Deardorff/Pagano were in the same range. I think it's been reported that Lockley/Isbell split, same with both Finster sibs and their partners.
Thank you. I knew about Kate. Did not know about Chase. Are they looking for new partners?

yeslek

Just my opinion, but I cannot imagine that her physician would ever clear her to go back to skating. The effects of a concussion are cumulative, affecting balance, memory loss, headaches, dizziness, changes of mood. Retiring is a horrible decision for an elite athlete to make, and they may not be the best person to make that decision. Skaters are hardwired to get up and carry on.

It can be difficult to realize that although skating may have been your life...it was never really your life. It is/was something you did during your life. And there is a whole lot of life left after skating and you want to be around to live it.
Yeah it seems like they found a way to push through it for the Olympic dream but I can’t see a physician supporting it after another incident.

moebius

I bet right now the USFS is doing all they can to convince K/F and C-G/L not to retire for at least for another year while hopefully new teams can get together.
I don't think they will retire yet if the Russians are still banned from competing. It's a free ticket to the Worlds podium for them since there is not much competition from the other countries. Once the Russians and Chinese return competing, then they will probably consider retiring since they have no chance of beating them.

carriecmu0503

I don't think they will retire yet if the Russians are still banned from competing. It's a free ticket to the Worlds podium for them since there is not much competition from the other countries. Once the Russians and Chinese return competing, then they will probably consider retiring since they have no chance of beating them.
I agree they would have no chance of beating Sui and Han. However, their score at worlds would have not only beaten Peng and Jin, they also would’ve beaten the third Russian team at the Olympics. While you can’t compare scores from one event to another, I definitely think they could be competitive with at least those two teams. I also don’t know how much longer Tarasova and Morozov plan to compete. Now that Knierim and Frazier are world champions, they will start getting better marks. I don’t think it’s out of realm of possibility that even if the Russian and Chinese pairs come back that they could still contend for the podium.

Karen-W

Did ANY junior U.S. pairs stay together?? Or senior pairs, for that matter? (Rhetorical question, you don't have to give me the list. ;) )
Well, Smirnova/Siianytsia are competing at Jr Worlds, sooooo... And we know Knierim/Frazier are going to stay together, whether they just skate in shows or compete is the only question, lol. The list from Nationals and the NQS Pairs competitions looks to be maybe 50/50?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I think this is roughly where we are at for now but there are surely many things I don't know...

SENIOR PAIRS
Knierim/Frazier***
Cain/LeDuc***
Chan/Howe***
McBeath/Bartholomay***
Plazas/Fernandez
Smirnova/Siianytsia***
Mokhova/Mokhov
Fakhroutdinov/Neudecker
—-----
Collier/Mitrofanov?
?/O’Shea?
Calalang/?
Serafini/?

JUNIOR PAIRS (several could move up)
Baram/Tioumentsev***
Wessenberg/Eisenach
Smith/Deng***
Wong/Weirens (maybe split since no longer in ISP)
Barrett/Davis
Romero/Ogren
Kam/Meyh
Rivers/Rensing
-----------
*** = currently in ISP

Martins/Bedard no longer being on ISP seems to confirm a split if that was in question... I lost track or forgot what has been said upthread about them.

Last edited:

moonvine

Anyone know if Winter Deardorff and Mikhail Johnson are together? For that matter the other 2 Sappenfield (they are still letting her coach? For real?) teams who WD from Nationals due to Covid - McIsaac/Sadusky, Burden/Rounis?

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Winter skated w/ Jake Pagano last season, so I assume she isn't with Johnson anymore, but maybe they're switching off every year, who knows! :p

Karen-W

Anyone know if Winter Deardorff and Mikhail Johnson are together? For that matter the other 2 Sappenfield (they are still letting her coach? For real?) teams who WD from Nationals due to Covid - McIsaac/Sadusky, Burden/Rounis?
Burden/Rounds were together last fall but didn't qualify for Nationals. No idea what their status currently is.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Brynne McIsaac is on IPS with Meno/Sand as her coaches. Mark Sadusky seems to be skating with Nica Digerness in CO.

LoisAGOEs

Mikhail Johnson retired. It was posted on Dalilah’s account back when it happened but obviously her social media has had quite the overhaul and been privatised since then.

moonvine

Mikhail Johnson retired. It was posted on Dalilah’s account back when it happened but obviously her social media has had quite the overhaul and been privatised since then.
Thanks. The article I found was from 2021, not 2022. Thus the confusion.

moebius

I agree they would have no chance of beating Sui and Han. However, their score at worlds would have not only beaten Peng and Jin, they also would’ve beaten the third Russian team at the Olympics. While you can’t compare scores from one event to another, I definitely think they could be competitive with at least those two teams. I also don’t know how much longer Tarasova and Morozov plan to compete. Now that Knierim and Frazier are world champions, they will start getting better marks. I don’t think it’s out of realm of possibility that even if the Russian and Chinese pairs come back that they could still contend for the podium.
I think the judges know that K/F are world champions b/c of the absence of Russian and Chinese teams, not b/c they are the best in the world.

Carolla5501

I think the judges know that K/F are world champions b/c of the absence of Russian and Chinese teams, not b/c they are the best in the world.
Let me rephrase that into a Statement that can be supported by facts

“I think the judges know that K/F are world champions because they were the best team at the event.”

You judge the event, not the event you wish would have happened.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
T/M would be smart to retire. Who knows when Russians will skate internationally again, and their rally appearance and names in CAS case will be well-known to judges and fans. Also, the automatic :blocjudge may disintegrate given where some of the usual countries are regarding Russia.

zoe111

Honestly, I thought about what happens if RUS skaters were to return to competitions at a time when UKR is still a hot issue. I think they would get booed and jeered by some, refused applause by others.
yes i think this is a legitimate concern to be honest. Also, to be honest, i don't think the Russians will be allowed to compete in most places for a while. i wouldn't be surprised if we don't see them for a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information