U.S. Pairs 2021-22 season - News & Updates, Part X

Spun Silver

A few years ago I wondered if there was any chance Emanuel Savary would go into pairs. He has the look. But I don't know if he is even still skating.

eurodance2001

Calalang and Johnson are no more.. I’m so sad.. ugh

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Meh :(. The US finally gets back to three spots after nearly 20 years and it's going to potentially be wide open.

But 'end of partnership'.. both moving on with new partners?

eurodance2001

Meh :(. The US finally gets back to three spots after nearly 20 years and it's going to potentially be wide open.

But 'end of partnership'.. both moving on with new partners?
I’m curious too.. it’s not ‘retiring’ but end of partnership.. what could’ve been

Jammers

Damn Nationals is going to be awful next season with all of the breakups and teams retiring. I don't get it the US now has 3 spots with perhaps one or both top teams retiring and the teams right behind them are calling it quits? :confused:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They're both young enough to continue with other partners, if they wish. We know Olivia Serafini was out there having tryouts with Danny O'Shea and we've heard that Audrey Lu is going to UCLA. Part of me won't be surprised if we hear that Brian has teamed up with one of them.

olympic

In normal times I would be gutted! They were actually my favorite US pair, showcasing good edges, speed and power.

BUT, it’s 2022. My mentality is if it can go wrong it probably will.

Sorry for the negativity. Carry on!

Spiralgraph

Aw dang it, I wasn't really expecting this split. Wishing them both great things and if they pursue skating with other partners I hope they get the best partners around.

Firedancer

I’m so sad. They were my favorite pair team. I really hope K/F don’t end up retiring too. We got 3 spots for worlds and it’s looking like we are not going to have many to choose from.

Karen-W

Those three spots will go down to one next session if K/F retire. Much as I love Ashley and Tim, I’m kinda hoping she retires, I’m afraid for her to continue.

I guess Pfund/Santillan are kicking themselves.
I dunno about that. Chan/Howe did okay this season. We'll see if they can continue to improve. Unless Russia is back next year at Worlds, I'm fairly confident we can probably keep two spots - it would take some combination of 29 points - and teams that finish 16th or lower in the final standings get 16 points automatically, so 13th or lower for one team and 16th or lower for the other two teams. Chan/Howe are currently sitting in the SB Top 24 which has 10 Russian teams, Sui/Han, Calalang/Johnson, Lu/Mitrofanov, Moore-Towers/Marinaro and Barquero/Zandron (drug suspension for her) ahead of them, as well as the following teams whose status next season is unknown: Peng/Jin, Knierim/Frazier, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, James/Radford and Hase/Seegert. I would hope that they can manage at least top 10 at Worlds next year and help us keep at least 2 spots.

Trillian

Those three spots will go down to one next session if K/F retire. Much as I love Ashley and Tim, I’m kinda hoping she retires, I’m afraid for her to continue.

I guess Pfund/Santillan are kicking themselves.

I dunno about that. Chan/Howe did okay this season.

I agree, and they have potential to be very good IMO. Next season will probably be an excellent opportunity for them to move up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if K/F keep going, and we don’t know for sure about CG/L yet. (Although I agree that her health needs to be the priority.) Plus, most of the teams who’ve split haven’t announced retirements, so we might just be playing a more exciting than usual game of musical partners this off-season. It’s going to be interesting to see which new teams end up forming.

RoseRed

I dunno about that. Chan/Howe did okay this season. We'll see if they can continue to improve. Unless Russia is back next year at Worlds, I'm fairly confident we can probably keep two spots - it would take some combination of 29 points - and teams that finish 16th or lower in the final standings get 16 points automatically, so 13th or lower for one team and 16th or lower for the other two teams. Chan/Howe are currently sitting in the SB Top 24 which has 10 Russian teams, Sui/Han, Calalang/Johnson, Lu/Mitrofanov, Moore-Towers/Marinaro and Barquero/Zandron (drug suspension for her) ahead of them, as well as the following teams whose status next season is unknown: Peng/Jin, Knierim/Frazier, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc, James/Radford and Hase/Seegert. I would hope that they can manage at least top 10 at Worlds next year and help us keep at least 2 spots.
It's 28 for 2 spots actually. But same idea.

skatfan

And Brian just posted his official retirement from competitive skating on his IG... :wuzrobbed

I’m glad for him because it sounds like what he wants to do. Now to see if Calalang can find a good partner.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
My goodness, so much doom and gloom. It's not that bad guys, even if K/F don't stay. I think Chan/Howe could do great along with whoever else gets together. Curious to see if Baram/Tioumentsev go senior nationally.

Karen-W

Yes, exactly. You wrote 29 in your post
Yes, because any combination of 13th & lower + 16th & lower (29 points) will drop the US down to 1 spot. Any combination of 12th & higher + 16th & lower (28 points) will still maintain 2 spots.

skatfan

Yes, because any combination of 13th & lower + 16th & lower (29 points) will drop the US down to 1 spot. Any combination of 12th & higher + 16th & lower (28 points) will still maintain 2 spots.
You might want to read your post. This is what you said:
I'm fairly confident we can probably keep two spots - it would take some combination of 29 points
But we’re all agreed now about what needs to happen so let’s hope that it does! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information