U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun Y

That's an ideal principle for sure, though as it turned out, the long program component score rankings for the top 4 were pretty much the same order from the short (albeit with larger gaps for Andrew and Tim from the rest):

1. Torgashev 7.68
2. Doleknsky 7.57
3. Aaron 7.08
4. Johnson 7.07

The judging looked fair and correct to me. Torgashev skates like a hurricane and Dolensky moves like a dream.

Is Dolensky's free skate choreographed by Ryan Jahnke? They seem to be perfectly matched.

maureenfarone

Words cannot express how much I (and the crowd) loved Tim Dolensky and Andrew Torgashev at the Philly comp. Not to mention a certain program based on Tequila!:D

Can someone remind me if Tim has a GP spot? (I know, I could look it up, sorry, I'm tired out from driving and sitting in a cold rink:lol:) If not, sorry, Josh, I love you too, but you already have one. Tim for SA!:cheer2:
I checked a couple of lists and it seems Tim does not have a GP.

olympic

I'm not so sure that Dolensky has the inside track for the TBD Spot at SA. Miner won Glacier Falls and looks even stronger at the moment. It may come down to whomever the USFSA thinks will stick around? Then, there is the mystery of Farris.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Don't mean to be a negative nancy here. Truly. :(

Hmmmm, what am I not seeing in Max's sp that others are seeing?

Was that les Mis? (Sorry Im not as up to date on the men as I am the ladies ATM)

Also, I do firmly believe that any man that shows up in black pants and a black shirt should be assigned a costume deduction (or lack there of). If you just went shopping in it at Whole Foods (Thanks NeNe) and then show up to the rink to skate in it, it aint no costume. LOL Not looking for feathers and rainbows but something that identifies what you're skating to.

IMO no effort goes into it if its a black pair of pants and a black shirt. But thats just me.

I want to like it but definitely not today. :(

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So I've criticized men before for ignoring music when they are prepping for a quad. Max, who in the past has been very guilty of that, is now continuing his musical interpretation while prepping. It makes such a difference in the performance. So major kudos to him for that, because it can't be easy to change.

Hear it, feel it, secretly possess you...

I know that's a fairly standard inclusion in any POTO program, but his skating in that part felt extra special to me.

ETA: Now get him a real costume! Maybe something with dark purple?

Well, the Black Swan costume was obviously being used as a stopgap. Dark purple could work, maybe with more reddish undertones. We'll probably see at least one costume at US Classic; maybe not both until his second B whatever that is.

Agree. Not a big Max fan. But this could be a confidence booster - with three 4's of 2 types, and a 3A/3T he could be in top ten.

He's actually going for 4 quads in the FS - the 3S was supposed to be a 4S, and the pop obviously wasn't intentional (I think that might have been where the rest of the jumps got wonky because he was trying to re-plan the rest of the program). I'd like to see his divine 3A-1Lo-3S combo in competition but one thing at a time, I guess. ;)

But please someone fix the music ending. It's like he's skating along and someone just lifted the needle off the record because his time was over. End on bloody TONIC, please.

Yes, that was the only thing I didn't like, the abrupt ending cut. But hopefully that will be fixed.

Also, I do firmly believe that any man that shows up in black pants and a black shirt should be assigned a costume deduction (or lack there of).

If no effort goes into the artistic side of what you are wearing I kinda say to myself "I don't have that much time, I aint watching it."

Seriously? You're going to judge the whole damn program because his costumes aren't ready and he skated in a neutral costume? Max was far from the only man who turned up in stopgap black at Philadelphia. Did you ignore Jason's programs at Glacier Falls too when he skated in just the black shirt and pants?

It's August and Max's first real international is still more than a month away. Of course his costumes aren't finished. It's not like he's the only one.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Seriously? You're going to judge the whole damn program because his costumes aren't ready and he skated in a neutral costume?

Judging? No sweetie. It just a preference. Actually its a skating pet peeve of mine.

But there is an artistic side to skating that is judged, and judged not by me. I just like to see some sort of effort.

Refill my drink if Im wrong but the judges weren't there to judge only technical content correct?? I think i saw marks for components etc... so since they were judging on that as well make an effort.

I aint a theatre person but taking a stab at the music Im guessing Les Mis??? But if I had to go by the costume then he is wearing Chris Kneirim's "Paint It Black"

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Maybe he was doing one of those modern productions of Les Mis, think Ivo Von Hove productions of plays like The Crucible where the setting and actors are transplanted to a different time and the anachronism is intentional. That's an artistic statement. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCrWrXS2Drc

LOL, I love you.

I mean even if costumes weren't ready... then how about blue? White with green stripes? Something off the shoulder from Old Navy?

I guess his criticism over the years was artistry... I never really thought about it till I saw this program.. and thats what I thought... artistry.... Wrap yourself in the French Flag then... anything..... something....

the guy who has been criticized by judges on artistic impression just left me with guess what... no artistic impression. Its an Oly year now where like 7-8 guys fighting for 3 spots I woulda liked to see a bit of effort. I would love to be affected by his skating!

Last edited:

VGThuy

I get where you're coming from especially these days in ice dance and pairs where men don't try nearly as hard as the women which I think is a bit unfair. I just cut people a lot of slack in the early summer competitions when things are still getting together, and some times, I don't think costumes need to be so literal as long as they are in some character and match the flavor/mood of the music. For example, I much preferred Han Yan's Uniqlo look for his Romeo and Juliet over the more Elizabethan costume he wore the next season. I not only think a lot of it had to do with the fact that his music came from the 1996 film, which was set in more modern times, but also because he just looked better.

Last edited:

Willin

Yeah I don't care what people wear in summer competitions. As long as it's not a total hot mess or they're not naked they could be wearing practice clothes. Of course, if somehow you don't have a nice generic costume or an old costume to wear, all black practice wear is best. (ie. a black leotard and pants for men or a black leotard and skirt for ladies)
Costumes, especially the expensive custom ones Seniors wear require at least one fitting before completion, a test run on the ice to see if it looks/moves right on the ice, and hours of sewing/stoning/pattern editing/cutting/etc. to get it just right. Not only that, but many skaters go to the same or similar companies and seamstresses for their dresses. A lot of those seamstresses do both dance and skating costumes, so they can get pretty darn busy in the spring/late summer. (Spring being recital seasons for both, pro/college dance team auditions, and the beginning of competition season for lower level skaters; August can be busy season again for school dance team/synchro skating costume purposes). So depending on what that seamstress has going on they might be really busy making costumes and delivery may take longer.

misskarne

Not only that, but many skaters go to the same or similar companies and seamstresses for their dresses. A lot of those seamstresses do both dance and skating costumes, so they can get pretty darn busy in the spring/late summer.

Giving me a flashback to the adorable story from the 2014 US Classic where Max's Gladiator costume arrived still being hand-dried because Max had told the costumer to worry about the pairs costumes first and leave his til last. :D

I'm sure we'll see at least one costume from him at US Classic. Probably not both until his second B or even his first GP.

gkelly

Judging? No sweetie. It just a preference.

Actually its a skating pet peeve of mine.

Fair enough. As long as "Also, I do firmly believe that any man that shows up in black pants and a black shirt should be assigned a costume deduction (or lack there of)" is just a manner of speaking and not something you actually firmly believe.

But there is an artistic side to skating that is judged, and judged not by me. I just like to see some sort of effort.

Refill my drink if Im wrong but the judges weren't there to judge only technical content correct?? I think i saw marks for components etc... so since they were judging on that as well make an effort.

Program Components criteria

Nothing at all about costumes. All about what the skater does on the ice during the program.

Last edited:

Willin

They can judge costumes, actually. Just only if they're so egregiously bad/dangerous/rule breaking, and even then it's only 1 point.

The way this works: if a judge thinks the costume breaks the outlined rules (very loose rules, may I add - basically, don't look naked, don't have your skirt too long, and don't have your costume falling off on/all over the ice), they can put a "costume deduction" designation into their score computer. If over half the judges agree that a costume deduction should be added, the costume deduction is added.

I've seen it only twice. I've seen a lot of costumes falling apart/onto the ice that were not given deductions for it despite the rule, so I don't know how closely they enforce that one. The only time I remember a costume deduction being given was at Synchro Worlds 2010 (the season dance/synchro skirts were newly banned from being ankle/calf length) when one team sported loose calf-length pants that the judges' majority determined were skirts that were too long. The audience (and team) were all very confused.

misskarne

I've seen it a few times - once for an accidental "nipple tassle" effect (I think the skater had had a growth spurt after the costume was made). Max has actually come close a few times before - because of his pants. Not for their colour, but for their tightness.

aftershocks

Banned Member
To wear red color is very common in Russian folk dance. Men usually wear either red top or red trousers, or at least have multicolored costumes with red being prominent. Now obligatory, but common.

Yep sure, I figured as much. It's just striking because it looks so similar due to both music and costume, which accurately portrays the cultural theme and style of music of course. It's obviously a great choice for Alexei since he hails from Russia originally. In any case, Alexei could go for a deeper red top (or red/gold), instead of the similar shade of red perhaps.

Last edited:

misskarne

the guy who has been criticized by judges on artistic impression just left me with guess what... no artistic impression. Its an Oly year now where like 7-8 guys fighting for 3 spots I woulda liked to see a bit of effort. I would love to be affected by his skating!

Again: did you criticise Jason for showing at Glacier Falls in a black shirt and black pants? Was Timothy not making "effort" by wearing a grey sweater and grey pants? What about all of the other skaters at Philadelphia who showed in all black (Torgashev was another and I think Moeller did too)? Were they "not making an effort"?

It is August. Maybe your criticism would have some weight if it was November, but it's not. The season hasn't even properly started yet. As long as I have been following him, Max has never had costumes in August. (Heck, we haven't had videos in August for quite a while!). But he'll have them, he'll be ready, when he starts competing at competitions that actually count.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Skaters costumes are usually never ready in mid-summer. We should be thankful we get to see these new programs during the pre-season, and temper too much nitpicky critiques (myself included ;)).

I do hope that Vincent Zhou and team take a long look at his fp and re-think whether Vincent is going to be able to manage interpreting and keeping up with that rich, dramatic, tempo-changing music while trying to complete 4 or more quads. It's a tall order. He's probably still having a new fp costume worked on too. :)

I always wondered, would you guys give this costume a deduction?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...7f471e4a6aae1--roller-skating-ice-skating.jpg

:eek: :COP: :drama: :watch: If it was a violin, I'd say, paint it red and she could skate to The Red Violin and receive high GOE for music interpretation via costume design. :p

I don't see anything there to fret about.

:rofl: :lol: Wouldn't a spitting out of coffee (or other beverage) smilie come in handy? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information