U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Max Aaron is featured in the first part of this Philadelphia Summer International comp. article (includes quotes from him and his new choreographer, Katherine Hill): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/09/247349704

"If it came easy, it wouldn't be fun." Oh Max, you bundle of zany crazy adorableness.

I'm curious as to what AC/DC music they considered and so so glad that they didn't go anywhere near Ozzie Osbourne (surely someone was drunk to even consider that, right?). But I think he's chosen wisely, and that these programs will only grow even more powerful over the season.

(Though as usual I'm still seeing comments by idiots in various places that people are trying to "force" this music on him and that "he needs to be himself" and all the usual blah blah bullshit that they use to ignore that Max chooses his own music...)

Jammers

Though I question "Roxanne" for a 16 year old (in theory), Torgashev takes no prisoners with that LP. Fabulous drama and skating skills.
Andrew simply needs to master his jumps and also his nerves. I hope he's not one of those skaters that lands everything in practice and even his warm ups but can't land them when it counts because he has future champion written all over him.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I've been a fan of my boy Andrew T. since he was a wee one in Juniors, and at least from my viewpoint in the stands at the Philly comp, he had no "nerves"; he had the audience eating out of the palm of his hand. He was so adorably happy after that FS, as well he ought to be.

I am sure that if he wants to medal, Andrew needs to land more jumps, and even quads :slinkaway. Maybe like the totally forgettable Ukrainian guy who I cannot tell you even what his SP was. Seriously, and I was there. And I'm not inspired to look it up. I will just be happy if Andrew T. continues with Jason Brown style steps, transition and performance.

I know that doesn't make everyone else happy. But it makes me happy:D

A.H.Black

:yawn:

Do you hear the people yawn?
Yawning the yawn of tired fans?
It is the music that the people
Have heard time and time again!

:blah:
Last time I checked, the people and the fans did not determine the winner. If I were choosing program music, especially for an Olympic season, I don't think I would make the desires of the people and the fans my highest priority. Having said that, I'm fine with the music.

Sylvia

TBD
U.S. men listed for the 3rd JGP in Riga, Latvia are the top 2 novices from Nationals who also went 1-2 (eta: finished 2-3; Ryan Dunk won) at the Philadelphia junior international last week:
Maxim NAUMOV (N1) - recently turned 16: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/maxim_naumov
Joseph KANG (N2), who will turn 14 at the end of this month

Listed alternates:
Ryan DUNK USA (assigned to #2 in Salzburg)
Tomoki HIWATASHI
Alexei KRASNOZHON (assigned to #1 in Brisbane)
Camden PULKINEN (assigned to #2 in Salzburg)
Eric SJOBERG (assigned to #1 in Brisbane)
Andrew TORGASHEV
Kendrick WESTON

Last edited:

Debbie S

U.S. men listed for the 3rd JGP in Riga, Latvia are the top 2 novices from Nationals who also went 1-2 at the Philadelphia junior international last week:
Maxim NAUMOV (N1)
Joseph KANG (N2)
I think you mean 2-3? ;)

Odd that Torgashev hasn't been assigned yet. Maybe he requested a later assignment.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Thanks for sharing. Sean is such a nice guy, my son was thrilled with his personalized autograph Sean wrote for him at Glacier Falls. I'll be donating. Best wishes to him and his mom!

Jayar

I second the support for Sean and his mother. He is an amazing person and friend. FSUers, let's make this need go away quickly. I am going to start its own thread. Please delete if it is not allowed.

Sylvia

TBD
Ross Miner is attending Champs Camp this week so it is assumed he is filling the TBA spot for Skate America even though it is yet to be announced.
U.S. men listed for the 3rd JGP in Riga, Latvia are the top 2 novices from Nationals ... :
Maxim NAUMOV (N1) - recently turned 16: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/maxim_naumov
Joseph KANG (N2), who will turn 14 at the end of this month
Tomoki HIWATASHI has replaced Kang in Riga.

JGP #4 in Minsk, Belarus:
Eric SJOBERG (likely a placeholder since he is competing in Brisbane this week)
Andrew TORGASHEV

Subs:
Ryan DUNK (debuting in Salzburg next week)
Guko [should be Goku] ENDO (new addition to ISP)
Tomoki HIWATASHI (recently added to Riga)
Nicholas HSIEH (new addition to ISP)
Joseph KANG (now listed as a sub for Riga)
Joonsoo KIM (new addition to ISP)
Alexei KRASNOZHON (competing in Brisbane this week)
Maxim NAUMOV (debuting in Riga)
Camden PULKINEN (competing in Salzburg next week)
Kendrick WESTON

I believe the 4 junior men in the Philadelphia Summer International (placements 1-4 were Dunk, Naumov, Kang, Weston) did not get their scores counted for Junior World minimums because there were not enough entries (is the minimum 5 or ?).

Debbie S

I believe the 4 junior men in the Philadelphia Summer International (placements 1-4 were Dunk, Naumov, Kang, Weston) did not get their scores counted for Junior World minimums because there were not enough entries (is the minimum 5 or ?).
Well, that sucks. :(

Sylvia

TBD
Clarification re. why the Philadelphia Summer International Junior Men's event did not count for Junior World minimum technical scores:
TES Minimums are supposed to be earned at recognized international competitions, where there are at least two competitors from two different members, as well as the required tech and judging panel members (credentials, member breakdown, etc.)

So an all US field wouldn't qualify.
2017 Philadelphia Summer International Senior men's ISU World Standings points have been allotted as follows:
Dolensky 1st (250), Aaron 3rd (203), Alex Krasnozhon 4th (182), Alex Johnson 5th (164).

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Here y'all go...

Krasnozhon opens season with a bang in Brisbane

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/24/250330426

Krasnozhon delivered a masterful performance in Brisbane, nailing his triple flip-triple loop and recording the highest program components score (33.65) in the field. The U.S. junior men's champion totaled 75.04 points for his "Korobushka" short, putting him comfortably ahead of Canada's Joseph Phan, who stands in second with 69.30 points.

Sylvia

TBD
Alex Krasnozhon's 1st place SP in Brisbane (landed 3Lz, 3A with -1 GOE & 3F+3Lo in 2nd half) - ETA correct link (thanks, @AngieNikodinovLove): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKmaxNMniXY
He received level 4 for all 3 spins (good for him!) and level 3 on his footwork.

His interview with Ted Barton after his skate (Krasnozhon's spoken English has improved steadily each year in these interviews): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huS8Gg2BsGk

ETA link to Eric Sjoberg's "Take Five/Unsquare Dance" SP (choreo. by Benoit Richaud): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-PoiJaZhlY

SP scores:
1 Alexei KRASNOZHON USA 75.04 41.39 33.65 6.79 6.32 6.86 6.75 6.93 0.00 #8
8 Eric SJOBERG USA 53.69 26.99 27.70 5.71 5.39 5.39 5.71 5.50 1.00 #2

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Alex Krasnozhon's 1st place SP in Brisbane (landed 3Lz, 3A with -1 GOE & 3F+3Lo in 2nd half): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huS8Gg2BsGk
He received level 4 for all 3 spins (good for him!) and level 3 on his footwork.

His interview with Ted Barton after his skate (Krasnozhon's spoken English has improved steadily each year in these interviews): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huS8Gg2BsGk

Loving the interview with Ted Barton. Very impressed that Alexei says what he has learned most is that "Figure Skating is not just the jumps, but what happens between the jumps":respec:

I have been impressed with how seriously Alexei seems to have committed to improve his performance skills over the past few years. He's making me into a fan:biggrinbo

Sylvia

TBD
Vincent Zhou has a new free skate to Moulin Rouge; also quotes from Nathan, Jason & Adam at Champs Camp in this article by Lynn Rutherford: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/24/250373458
Excerpt:
Prior to Champs Camp, though, he [Zhou] and his coaching team -- including Tammy Gambill in Riverside, California, and Drew Meekins and Tom Zakrajsek, who are based in Colorado Springs -- decided to go in a different direction.
"The new program is to (music from) Moulin Rouge, it was done by Jeff Buttle, and it's absolutely amazing," the skater said last week. "This is only the second day of it, so it's nowhere near where it's going to be, but I feel like it's already very good. Of course, I have a lot to go, and we're working on it."
Zhou counts his work with [Charlie] White this spring as time well spent.
"I learned a lot about new types of movement, jump patterns and timing, and (how to) do more than three quads in a program," he said. "It was a great experience."
Meekins said the goal of the free skate was to be "youthful, without being junior," and they sought out something more uplifting.
Zhou's face lights up when he talks about the Moulin Rouge selections.
"We're using 'Come What May' as the final piece, and I don't think anyone has ever skated to that before. At least, I have never seen someone skate to it," he said. "It gives me chills when I listen to it, and I hope the audience thinks the same."

Last edited:

olympic

Vincent Zhou has a new free skate to Moulin Rouge; also quotes from Nathan, Jason & Adam at Champs Camp in this article by Lynn Rutherford: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/08/24/250373458

My eyes popped when I read that Rippon will once again go for the 4Z. I hope for the best, but I'm slightly skeptical.

Glad to hear that Brown and Chen are feeling their best, and Brown is feeling confident about the 4T and 4S.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think it was in Jackie Wong and Nick McCarvell's latest Ice Talk podcast that they discussed how Rippon was still having trouble with the picking foot for the 4T, and that was why the 4Lz could be revived.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Hmm, I could see The Room Where It Happens working much better as an FS. The song itself is 5+ minutes long, and only going down to 4:30 would hopefully mean less brutal cuts.

Waiting for what is hopefully part two of IN's men quotes from CC, since there's a few missing from that article...

Vagabond

My eyes popped when I read that Rippon will once again go for the 4Z. I hope for the best, but I'm slightly skeptical.

Let's be candid here. He's 27, nearly 28. This is his last shot at the Olympics. He's a former National, Four Continents, and World Junior Champion who's never been higher than sixth at Worlds, and if Chen and Zhao deliver anywhere near their best at Nationals, there's only one more spot on the Olympic Team. Ditto for the World Team. It's better to go for it than to hope for a consolation prize

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Excerpt:
Zhou's face lights up when he talks about the Moulin Rouge selections.
"We're using 'Come What May' as the final piece, and I don't think anyone has ever skated to that before. At least, I have never seen someone skate to it," he said. "It gives me chills when I listen to it, and I hope the audience thinks the same."

Uh, Alexa and Chris in March???? Which was what, five months ago? And it was a magnificent, chill-inducing skate. (although in part due to the backstory, for which the music was perfect.)

Hopefully Vincent meant for men's skating. Or LPs. Or something. Or he and his team need to get out more.....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information