U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavi

Junior Worlds 2017 and 2017 Nationals are Tier 3 in the body of work criteria, so not weighted very highly.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
If *anyone* makes top three at Nats, they’ve earned it. They’re the present. That said, am I under any illusion that if Nathan pops every single one of his jumps (ETA: and places fourth) and Grant places third that they are sending Grant to the Olys? No way.

The argument that Vincent should be sent *because* he’s the future is what I consider horse hooey. To my mind, Alex Krasnozhon is more enjoyable to watch (completely counter-intuitive for me, I know:p) and *he’s* the future. That doesn’t mean, even if he were a citizen, I would advocate for an Olympic spot for Alex because he’s the future. The Olympics ain’t the time to train your farm team. It’s the time to send the best, that is the best in competition, *now*.

On another subject, Jason has artfully avoided questions about his future, although he would commit to “I don’t want to be skating competitively 10 years from now”. From my take on these interviews, as driven and determined as he is, and as much as he would like to medal, he gets more from skating in comps than medals. Another reason I :cheer2: him.

Jason has said, and I think he’s serious, that at some point after skating he would like to teach English in Japan. Given his popularity there, that’s one English school they’ll be lining up to get into:cool:

Last edited:

becca

Junior Worlds 2017 and 2017 Nationals are Tier 3 in the body of work criteria, so not weighted very highly.
Yes but Zhou was bybassed for Worlds last year. He might have placed higher than Brown.

The send him he is the future is always under the condition that he does well at Nationals.

VGThuy

I don't think Vincent should be sent because "he's the future". If he places in the top 3 over any skater not Nathan, then he deserves to go just like Max does. I don't think Adam and Jason did so amazingly to have their tickets punched for Pyeongchang if one of them places out of the top 3 in favor of Nathan, Vincent, Max, or one of them.

becca

I am only saying the future if let's say Zhou places too three but the put someone other than Nathan on the team instead. I'm saying it makes no sense to hold Zhou back for skaters who have not shown they can be competitive on the world stage. It Some combo of Max, Adam, Brown finish ahead of Zhou at Nationals I will have no issues holding him back.

VGThuy

I am only saying the future if let's say Zhou places too three but the put someone other than Nathan on the team instead. I'm saying it makes no sense to hold Zhou back for skaters who have not shown they can be competitive on the world stage. It Some combo of Max, Adam, Brown finish ahead of Zhou at Nationals I will have no issues holding him back.

I agree. If Zhou finishes outside the top 3, I'm more than fine with leaving him home. If he finishes inside the top 3 with Nathan, I don't see a viable argument to take him out other than he might be less popular than the other choices.

Tavi

In the end, USFS will select the team it wants, regardless of whether we agree with their choices or think they’re fair. If they want Vincent, I’m sure he’ll be on there unless he bombs. Same for the other guys.

Marco

I think Nathan's berth is locked.

I think Adam's berth is locked as long as he is in top 3.

The rest is up for grabs.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Yes but Zhou was bybassed for Worlds last year. He might have placed higher than Brown.

The send him he is the future is always under the condition that he does well at Nationals.

I thought Vincent didn't have the technical minimums needed for Worlds last year and that's why he wasn't sent. I doubt he would have placed higher than 7th.

I think Nathan is the only one that can finish off the podium (not likely anyway) and still be named to the team. I think they'll go with whoever else makes it on the podium.

Vagabond

If Nathan Chen finishes off the podium (i.e., fifth or lower), the USFSA should not send him to the Olympics without having a satisfactory explanation why he was unable to finish ahead of at least four of Aaron, Brown, Rippon, Zhou, and any other men having a surprisingly good competition. I hope he skates well and renders the issue moot.

baramin

I agree that whoever the top two after Chen are deserve spots on the team. But when discussing who is the present/future, I do find it notable that the US men have 3 spots because Brown overperformed at worlds last year when Chen underperformed--to beat his finish, Zhou would have had to defeat Chen, Chan, Fernandez, Jin, Uno or Hanyu, all tough asks. Brown isn't challenging for a podium against those guys when they're on, but he can capitalize on their mistakes, which means he can still be a value add for team USA. And he can still deliver great performances, which may be his goal. He seems to love skating. And looking at how Rippon's career has built & the good competitive head he's developed, you can't say there isn't something worthwhile about skaters staying in even when their tech isn't world champion level.

I am unreasonably excited for these nationals & hope all of the guys, young & old(er), have great skates, even if they're ending their seasons here.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm saying it makes no sense to hold Zhou back for skaters who have not shown they can be competitive on the world stage. It Some combo of Max, Adam, Brown finish ahead of Zhou at Nationals I will have no issues holding him back.

All three of those skaters well and truly outperformed Zhou already this season. They're not the ones holding Zhou back.

I didn't see this yet - courtesy of God, the men's SP start order is up. Chen, Jason and Rippon in the last group, Zhou in the second-last group, and Max with a pretty awful start position in the first group.

GRP 1 1 Payannet 2 Moeller 3 Kulenkamp 4 Aaron 5 Shum
GRP 2 6 Rabbitt 7 Savary 8 Krasnozhon 9 Dolensky 10 Johnson
GRP 3 11 Hochstein 12 Jalovick 13 Miner 14 Zhou 15 Ma
GRP 4 16 Chen 17 Dyer 18 Torgashev 19 Rippon 20 Brown 21 Hiwatashi

Still, the last time Max started in the first group for the SP, it was 2013...

olympic

Per Jackie Wong: Nathan switched his SP elements 4F-3T, 4Lz & 3A in the bonus. And he has better connecting steps into the Lz.

Do you mean the 4Z and 3A are both in the bonus? I read Jackie's PBP: It states Nathan's 4Z was eked out, so that might explain why.... more tired legs (?)

Actually, after reading everything, the man of the practice rink seems to be Adam. He hasn't missed a thing, even landing a clean 4Z. OTOH, Jason had trouble with the 3A. Vincent had UR problems here and there. And no Max???

Firedancer

Do you mean the 4Z and 3A are both in the bonus? I read Jackie's PBP: It states Nathan's 4Z was eked out, so that might explain why.... more tired legs (?)

Actually, after reading everything, the man of the practice rink seems to be Adam. He hasn't missed a thing, even landing a clean 4Z. OTOH, Jason had trouble with the 3A. Vincent had UR problems here and there. And no Max???

Yes both 4Lz & 3A in the bonus. Essentially he switched the 4Lz & 4F. If u read him on Twitter Jackie said this is not the Nathan he saw in practices on the Grand Prix, it is the Nathan he saw last year at nationals. Outside of the run through everything was really good. And I think I saw somewhere that he may have had the mistake on the 3A in the run trough bc someone got in his way. And he did all the jumps after. We will hear more from practice today but it sounds really good.

Sounds like Adam had a great practice including a clean 4Lz. He sounds so prepared. And Jason did a lot really well but did have some mistakes. Vincent did have some issues and no Max. Excited to hear how everyone does today.

Cleo1782

I thought Vincent didn't have the technical minimums needed for Worlds last year and that's why he wasn't sent. I doubt he would have placed higher than 7th.

I think Nathan is the only one that can finish off the podium (not likely anyway) and still be named to the team. I think they'll go with whoever else makes it on the podium.

He got the minimums before worlds. I can't remember what comp they sent him to but he got them just in case.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Zhou didn't have the senior minimums when nationals took place. He had been sent to Golden Spin to get them before nationals, but after failing to reach the SP minimum there, he withdrew from that competition. After nationals, he was sent to the Bavarian Open where he got his senior minimums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information