U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbitz

Kirk does have amazing confidence at just 13 years old. The spread-eagles before taking his starting position was fun to watch. His FP performance was entertaining. The one choreographic move I would remove from his program is when he imitates smoking a cigarette. That just doesn't feel right for a kid to do that.
I'm not sure his current technique will hold up well as he matures, so I'm hoping his coaching team recognizes that and is working to improve it.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
The one choreographic move I would remove from his program is when he imitates smoking a cigarette. That just doesn't feel right for a kid to do that.
The kid is portraying a murderous mob boss. Smoking seems like small potatoes. 🤷‍♀️

I'm not sure his current technique will hold up well as he matures, so I'm hoping his coaching team recognizes that and is working to improve it.

Agreed. They need to get that jump technique straightened out, pronto. He's too good a talent to waste!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top scores from summer 2022 comps- comps in US and Canada- US skaters

SENIOR MEN
Yet to compete- Malinin, Paniot, Ma, Camden

Maxim Naumov 217.47
Tomoki Hiwatashi 215.96
Liam Kapeikis 209.56
Eric Sjoberg 200.40
Dinh Tran 198.65
Nathan Chapple 194.07
Kai Kovar 192.82
Maxim Zharkov 192.48
Andrew Torgashev 192.01
Goku Endo 188.67
Joseph Klein 190.78
Joonsoo Kim 187.24
Samuel Mindra 186.33
Max Lake 183.94
Mitchell Friess 183.32
Philip Baker 183.03
Daniel Martynov 178.35
Matthew Nielsen 178.22

JUNIOR MEN
Lucas Broussard 210.95
Daniil Murzin 205.09
Michael Xie 202.06
Robert Yampolsky 201.76
Beck Strommer 193.75
Jacob Sanchez 181.59
Taira Shinohara 181.32
Jonathan Hildebrandt 178.46
Aleksandr Fegan 176.55
Maxim Zharkov 170.99
Lucius Kazanecki 165.88
Antonio Monaco 162.41
Kirk Haugeto 162.30
Will Annis 160.48
Zachary Yaninek 159.30
Anthony Mugg 157.47
Alexander Liu 151.36
Kai Kovar 150.90 (skating senior nationally)

Last edited:

YukiNieve

I just found out that Ilia will be invited to skate for another SOI show that takes place in Hachinohe, Japan during 10/9-10/10. He and Daniel, who will also be invited, will compete at Skate America 11 days later - so TBH I am a little surprised.:eek:

Jason was invited earlier.

ETA: I just realized that both Ilia and Daniel will compete for Japan Open on 10/8, so they will be in Japan around that time anyway...

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about 13 year old Kirk Haugeto after his Godfather free skate today. …

Dave Lease and Jonathan Beyer (TSL) have a LOT to say about Kirk in this week’s episode of This & That. Discussion begins at about the 50-min mark:

At the end of the episode, both Dave & Jonathan pick Kirk as their Moment of the Week, which is pretty amazing considering that Kirk finished JGP Riga in 17th place.

Stephanie

FWIW I found it interesting that Maxim Zharkov is listed as a sub for Finlandia. I think it could make sense to send him to a Challenger like Budapest Trophy instead of a second JGP, since he has no shot at the final. I would say the same for Joseph Klein if he doesn't finish in the top 3 or 4 in Yerevan.

Frau Muller

Hopefully we’ll be seeing Lukas Broussard at a JGP or two soon…Gdańsk 1, I think.

Sylvia

TBD
U.S. Men's JGP results & total scores after the first 3 JGPs:

Robert YAMPOLSKY 196.67 (4th in Riga; 131.62 in FS today with 3A fall & 3A+2T)
Maxim ZHARKOV 193.48 (5th in Ostrava - clean 3A in SP; 122.44 in FS with 4T -0.95 GOE)
Kai KOVAR 191.65 (6th in Ostrava - clean 3A in SP & 122.54 in FS)
Michael XIE 180.95 (5th in Courchevel; 114.87 in FS with a clean 3A)
Lucius KAZANECKI 167.85 (8th in Courchevel)
Kirk HAUGETO 142.17 (17th in Riga)
ETA - current top 4 U.S. men in the JGP series rankings (based on placement first then total score):
11 Yampolsky 9 (196.67)
13 Zharkov 7 (191.65)
14 Xie 7 (180.95)
15 Kovar 5 (191.65)
Coming up:
Yerevan ARM: Joseph Klein (replaced Will Annis), Beck Strommer
Gdansk POL 1: Michael Xie, Lucas Broussard
Gdansk POL 2: Robert Yampolsky, TBD
Egna ITA: TBD, TBD

JGP #7 entries for Egna, Italy were published today:
27 Kirk HAUGETO USA 23 (placeholder)
28 Maxim ZHARKOV USA 23 (placeholder)
William ANNIS USA 23 S
Jonathan HILDEBRANDT USA 23 S
Lucius KAZANECKI USA 23 S
Joseph KLEIN USA 23 S
Kai KOVAR USA 23 S
Daniel MARTYNOV USA 23 S (new; was assigned to a JGP last year but WD; scored 178.35 in Senior in his season debut at the Chicago NQS this past weekend)
Jacob SANCHEZ USA 23 S
Taira SHINOHARA USA 23 S
Beck STROMMER USA 23 S
Michael XIE USA 23 S
Robert YAMPOLSKY USA 23 S

Hmmm, Lucas Broussard is listed as an alternate for JGP POL 2 but not for Egna.

Last edited:

Stephanie

Hmmm, Lucas Broussard is listed as an alternate for JGP POL 2 but not for Egna.
😳:cry:

ETA: If USFS were considering sending him to a second event, back to back in Poland would be more logical than Poland 1 and Egna, especially as he's traveling all the way from Seattle, but this would pit him against Yampolsky, who's the top scorer so far and still has a small (but unlikely) shot at the final if he happened to win his next event. They could of course switch Yampolsky to Egna. On the other hand, maybe it was an omission by mistake.

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
Last edited:

Frau Muller

Shameless plug...
Didn’t you watch the US Classic? He may have “planned” a “big step forward” but ended up going ten steps back, poor guy. Adding: Ended 9th out of 10 finishers but he landed a first quad, as Sylvia notes below. Onwards and upwards!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I was glad to see Eric come back well in his FS at U.S. Classic and land his FIRST quad - Salchow - in competition so good for him for that! :)

From @Jayar's article:
"I worked on the quad Salchow in the offseason and landed it for the first time in April," he shared. "It's in my long program right now and the plan is to add it to the short program in future competitions."

Sylvia

TBD
Ganicheva/Letov's Instagram post a few days ago is captioned "Baby steps! Will is coming back from two back fractures, way to go!" - clip of Will Annis landing a 3A (he didn't try this jump at the U.S. Junior Team Cup in Milwaukee back in July): https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cife7gzgdlP/

Annis was originally assigned to the now canceled :( JGP in Armenia and had been replaced by Joseph Klein. I'm sure Klein and Beck Strommer (Yerevan would have been his JGP debut and he had been counting down the days in anticipation in his Insta stories) are hoping they still will get a chance to compete somewhere.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Yaroslav Paniot withdrew after the 3rd jump attempt in his FS at Pasadena Open, which I think was his last chance to get a qualifying score for this season? Please correct me if I'm wrong. He did an easy 3z-2t, then popped open a flip after 2 rotations and had a wild little explosion on the axel attempt, then called it. Todd looked a little surprised. Not sure what is going on there, but sad.

Last edited:

sk8nlizard

Yaroslav Paniot withdrew after the 3rd jump attempt in his FS at Pasadena Open, which I think was his last chance to get a qualifying score for this season? Please correct me if I'm wrong. He did an easy 3z-2t, then popped open a flip after 2 rotations and never got going with the axel attempt, then called it. Todd looked a little surprised. Not sure what is going on there, but sad.
I was wondering if this was his last opportunity. I would have thought he could just do doubles and possibly qualify for the Sectionals? How many total Senior men are there? I hope he heals well.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I think there's maybe 30 total senior men but I never really sat down to figure out a total number. I think Yaro would qualify to sectionals w doubles just fine. But it seems like every time, he has a weird issue where his blades completely don't allow him to safely try any jump or spin. I feel like he needs a coaching change because this issue should not be dragging on this way...

gkelly

There are currently 20 skaters listed in the senior men's standings for the NQS.

That doesn't include anyone who already has a bye and isn't participating in the series.

crzesk8dad

There are currently 20 skaters listed in the senior men's standings for the NQS.

That doesn't include anyone who already has a bye and isn't participating in the series.
Only 8 Senior Men on the Pac Coast, he would have been 9th, even though with a low score and qualified for Sectionals.

Unless he is entered at Austin or Philly next week, which is doubtful, he is finished for this year.

Very sad. Maybe the time off will allow Yaro to have a full recovery from his surgery.

vu2019

Only 8 Senior Men on the Pac Coast, he would have been 9th, even though with a low score and qualified for Sectionals.

Unless he is entered at Austin or Philly next week, which is doubtful, he is finished for this year.

Very sad. Maybe the time off will allow Yaro to have a full recovery from his surgery.

There are at least a few skaters listed in the NQS standings who only completed one program in the listed event (and their total is just a SP total).

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
There are at least a few skaters listed in the NQS standings who only completed in one program in the listed event (and their total is just a SP total).
I guess since he withdrew instead of not competed, that didn't count?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Looking at the standings and adding in byed skaters, there are 26 senior men this season (27 counting Paniot). Assuming Nathan, Jason, and Vincent are not competing.

Last edited:

crzesk8dad

The 20 Senior men in the standings all appear to have completed scores, even one as low as 108. I believe the WD in the FS takes him out of the running as he didn't complete a Senior Mens event.

crzesk8dad

There are at least a few skaters listed in the NQS standings who only completed one program in the listed event (and their total is just a SP total).
Where do you see that? Not in Senior Men. The participants handbook says program requirements is both short and free skate. I believe the WD nullified this score

Last edited:

Trillian

Any body have Jimmy Ma's free skate from US International Classic? From the protocols it looks like a good one.

Not perfect, but a step up from the SP and a pretty excellent skate for him. (I don’t have it, sorry.)

I have to say - with all the disclaimers, like maybe one of Chen/Zhou/Brown will come back, and of course Ilia’s jumps are exciting to watch, and Camden has such an excellent overall package - I think Jimmy might be my favorite of the active U.S. men this season. He’s always had a distinctive style, and he’s really improved all the areas that he needed to improve the last couple of years. I’m really hoping he has a great year.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
SENIOR MEN - summer and early intl scores

Ilia Malinin 257.28 (intl)
Camden Pulkinen 219.49 (intl)
Maxim Naumov 217.47
Jimmy Ma 216.76 (intl)
Tomoki Hiwatashi 215.96
Liam Kapeikis 209.56
Andrew Torgashev 202.17
Eric Sjoberg 200.40
Dinh Tran 198.65