U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Ilia did not do his Junior SP at Austria Cup: He did 3z<+fall, 4t<+3t, 3aq
Yes, we know... @Karen-W was replying to me and we were both kidding. :) I think it would be smart for Malinin to just go for one quad in his Senior SP at Challenge Cup but we shall see.

Re-posting here from the Kiss & Cry 4CC Men's SP pbp thread (in case @olympic or others are interested in what the U.S. men said after their SPs in Tallinn) - copied from the ISU Quick Quotes document that's linked under For Media on the ISU's 4CC event page:

Camden Pulkinen (USA) 2022 National Championships 5th
(on what happened in his skate today) Not really sure - I was a little off, just tired from Nationals. It wasn’t anything like what I was training this week. There’s nothing I can do at this point but just to move on, and just work harder.
(his goals coming in here) I had some goals of improving my ISU personal bests but after today I have to say I don’t know if it’s possible so I have to regroup and hopefully salvage what I can and hopefully give a little more effort in the free.

Tomoki Hiwatashi (USA) 2019 World Junior Champion
It was good until that (quad) toe (he fell). I really felt confident coming into this competition, it felt amazing, Axel was great, well, it was ok, and then the toe - I felt like I lost my mentality, kind of went for it and I kind of felt like I was going to pop and I need to force - I can’t just pop right here and I rotated it, but it ended up being a bad jump. I did go for everything and I did feel very confident right now about what I’m doing and I feel going up till next season and going into the long program right now. I can still commit to that toe and do a better job I’d like to do a better job in the long program and the season onward.
(on a really cool move in his steps) I had a friend who used to do it in the rink and I thought it looks amazing if I can do a back flip on the ice and I asked him [my guess: Torgashev] to teach me and I felt it’s something I can just do and it feels like a normal kick except that it’s a whole rotation. So I took it from my friend and I did it and a lot of other people are doing it. I like the vibe once putting into the program and how it’s kind of one big element that I can put into the program other than the jumps.
(on missing the Nationals) The week before the Nationals I got a positive Covid test and I just couldn’t make it. I tried, I had a Covid test every day trying to do two negatives, but it was never possible. The week after Nationals I got on Tuesday last week and I started practicing and pushing forward and I really felt like at the beginning – Tuesday, Wednesday, I felt really tired and exhausted and I can’t do it, but form Thursday onward my stamina came up and my program started to do better. I felt the confidence coming into the competition and even during this practice here I still kept grinding on it and I still feel confident now and `I can do it I can do it!’ and then came the toe...

Jimmy Ma (USA) 2022 National Championships 6th
(on his skate today) In the moment, anything can happen and for me just the wrong things happened. Coming into this week I felt good. Practices, warmup felt good, I was feeling good backstage and then, spur of the moment, things happened and ... got to move on from there.
(on debut at Four Continents at age 26) I was very excited, I was exhausted as well. It’s not simple, right? It’s something that I really, really wanted to do this whole season but it was kind of difficult balancing, trying to manage everything. Nationals was a little stressful and that was only a week before and to come right back, no time to rest - you just got to keep going. In the end, I feel it was quite worth it.
(on his Free Skating goals) I just want to do my job. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, anything flashy. I just want to stay on my feet, get the GOE (grade of execution on elements) that I know I can get, and just ... go home (happy).

mtnskater

So sad for Camden to have such a bad short program at 4CC after the two best programs of his senior career at US Nationals. He got standing ovations in both programs, including from me. 🤩Hard to reproduce such a high with little time in between to recover and train. Nice to see Tomoki back in action. Hope all three of them can have free programs they can be proud of.

Wishing Yaro had a better season too…would have loved to see him at this event. Ilia too, but we need to keep him healthy as Olympic alternate.🙏

aliona22

It would actually be strange for Ilia at his age to have no trace of his parents’ accents in his speech. He’s a kid and they are the primary people he interacts with. Look at the Fear sisters… both speak with North American accents despite living most of their lives in London. I think Sasha was even born there, and she doesn’t have a British accent.

Trillian

It would actually be strange for Ilia at his age to have no trace of his parents’ accents in his speech. He’s a kid and they are the primary people he interacts with. Look at the Fear sisters… both speak with North American accents despite living most of their lives in London. I think Sasha was even born there, and she doesn’t have a British accent.

I’ve known a lot of children of immigrants in the U.S., and this hasn’t been my experience at all. Even if parents are the primary influence, they may or may not have been the ones who taught their kids to speak English. It can vary a lot, but the U.S. in general (and the U.S. figure skating team in particular) is obviously full of children of immigrants who speak English with the local accent of wherever they grew up and attended school. Why would Ilia be any different?

I’m guessing Fear sisters’ situation is more akin to people who grow up speaking (more or less) the same language with their parents, but surrounded by different accents or dialects. That can turn out all kinds of different ways, but I don’t think it’s a direct parallel in this case.

Carolla5501

What is strange, is this ongoing discussion of how this young man talks. How would you like it if you were discussed this way on a message board like this?

The fact that some of you can’t let this go, says a lot more about you than the young man. It’s time to take your fingers off the keyboard.

skatingguy

decently
What is strange, is this ongoing discussion of how this young man talks. How would you like it if you were discussed this way on a message board like this?

The fact that some of you can’t let this go, says a lot more about you than the young man. It’s time to take your fingers off the keyboard.
You obviously missed the post about a week or so ago that said that Malinin had a strong Russian accent, and couldn't speak English in complete sentences. That's why the discussion started, and that's why the interview with TSL was posted as well as other interview links, and that's why people were joking about his American accent.

Found the original post from the PBP threads for the US Nationals Men's Free Skate.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
So since the U.S. men did a pretty bad job at 4CC will this be the first time in a long time that we don't have three spots in next year's event?

hoptoad

Good question.

And what about China with no entries this year? Do they get only one per discipline next year?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So since the U.S. men did a pretty bad job at 4CC will this be the first time in a long time that we don't have three spots in next year's event?
USA men finished 8th, 10th & 12th; 8 + 10 = 18…two spots next year?
Since this, we’ve found out that Four Cs spots aren’t calculated that way. It’s more generous…full three spots, if country has enough skaters with minimum scores.

Last edited:

olympic

I understood back in 2008 when the US women did very poorly (I think Katrina Hacker and Ashley Wagner were like 6th and 8th, could be wrong) that due to lack of competitors at 4CCs, the US was able to send 3 women to 2009 4CCs. But maybe that changed.

Yes. Men were the weak spot. I was hoping for some consistency from Ma and Pulkinen to book-end their season and prep for the new cycle. They can't afford to let things slip away from them like this when they had the opportunity with a weaker field.

Vagabond

Any country can have 3 spots in 4CC regardless of the previous results. Otherwise, there would not be enough skaters for the competition.
Three spots, provided that there are that many eligible skaters who meet the TES requirements, which are the same as for Europeans and the Olympics. The U.S. has never had a problem meeting this requirement. Even in Pairs. :slinkaway

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information