U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Belatedly, here's a local Utah article on the 2022 U.S. Junior men's champion, Kai Kovar (Jan. 11):
OGDEN — Three years ago, Amanda Kovar asked her son, Kai, if perhaps making an Olympic team was his goal.
It was, enough of a goal that Kai had already pondered representing either the United States or Slovakia, the latter being the native land of his father, Karel.
This was somewhat news to Amanda. “So you are thinking about it,” she said. “That’s good to know.”
Now that picture of the future is perhaps a little more clear for the 15-year-old figure skater from Ogden.
Kai Kovar took gold in the junior men’s division at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships last week in Nashville, Tennessee. He skates for Wasatch Figure Skating Club, headquartered at Weber County’s Ice Sheet on the campus of Weber State.
The junior division is the last step before the senior, elite division where Olympic-level skaters compete. Typically, junior skaters are 16-18 years old. Of the four junior medalists last week, two are 17, one is 16 and Kovar is 15.
“I was very excited. I’d never been on top of the podium before so I was just really happy with myself and proud of what I had accomplished. And now I’m just hungry to see what’s in the future and go after a Junior World spot.
“And, my mom’s pretty cool,” he added. “She’s a great coach.”
Kovar said he’d won regional competitions, but had never placed first at sectionals, let alone nationals, before this year.
Kovar’s championship also gave Utah a sweep in the men’s singles competitions. Salt Lake City native Nathan Chen again won the senior men’s division and will again skate for Team USA at this year’s Olympics in Beijing.
Next up, Kovar goes to Boston at the end of January to perform at the U.S. Junior World trials. His win at the U.S. Figure Skating National Championships will be considered, alongside repeat performances of his routine in front of judges who will select three skaters to represent the United States at the Junior World Championships to be held in Bulgaria in March.
He’ll continue to juggle that with his schoolwork at St. Joseph Catholic High School, where Kovar says he’s a 4.0 student.

layman

I feel like I missed something (after Nationals). I have just tried reading through the last ten pages of this thread but it's mostly nonsense.

I am trying to figure out how Tomoki is competing at 4-Continents (which I am very happy about) but did not compete at Nationals. Did he petition for a 4-Continents spot?

clairecloutier

I feel like I missed something (after Nationals). I have just tried reading through the last ten pages of this thread but it's mostly nonsense.

I am trying to figure out how Tomoki is competing at 4-Continents (which I am very happy about) but did not compete at Nationals. Did he petition for a 4-Continents spot?

Tomoki had to withdraw from Natls at the last moment because he got sick with CV19 a few days before the event (tested positive 12/31).

USFS then named him to the 4CCs team, presumably on the strength of past scores & results. I do not believe he petitioned onto the team (although I can't say that with 100% certainty, I'm pretty sure it was not the case). ETA: But see @Sylvia's post below.

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Is there a list anywhere of who else besides Kovar is attening the Jr Worlds trials event?

Sylvia

TBD
I'm pretty sure Tomoki had to submit a petition in order to be named to 4CC? USFS' 4CC selection criteria guidelines document is linked here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...cation-to-tallinn.108605/page-12#post-6070176

Catching up on some posts earlier in this thread...
About the only question I have is the 2nd spot for the Jr Men (we only have 2 spots).
There are 3 U.S. men's spots for 2022 Junior Worlds - Naumov was 5th & Torgashev 8th at 2020 Junior Worlds.
Liam Kapeikis, hopefully. Kai Kovar and Will Annis were 1-2 in juniors but hella inconsistent, though Will did medal at one of his JGPs.
It would be between Liam, Kai Kovar, Will Annis or Lucas Broussard (who had to withdraw from Nats), in my mind. And I'm not sure which one I'd go with.
I like all of them. :)

@haribobo, the Junior Worlds singles selection camp rosters have yet to be announced publicly. I doubt Malinin will have to attend.

ETA: If I could choose ;), I would invite Kapeikis, the top 5 junior men from Nationals (Kovar, Annis, Zharkov, Klein, Yampolsky), plus the 2 JGP skaters who WD - Lucas Broussard (silver in FRA #1) and Matthew Nielsen (bronze in SLO).

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Not really. I know Jason has a deal with Ralph Lauren but Nathan is sponsored by Nike, Toyota, Panasonic, Visa, and Comcast, among others. And Nathan's Sun Valley show this past summer sold out within 48 hours. Jason's never sold out.
Agreed. And I don't even see Ralph Lauren as a sponsor on Jason's website any more (unless his company is listed elsewhere on Jason's social media accounts?). Just Jackson Ultima is listed on his site.

Trillian

Agreed. And I don't even see Ralph Lauren as a sponsor on Jason's website any more (unless his company is listed elsewhere on Jason's social media accounts?). Just Jackson Ultima is listed on his site.

Was Ralph Lauren really a “sponsor”? Jason has done some modeling for their Team USA gear and posts those photos once in a while.

In general, sponsored content isn’t a way to build a personal brand, it’s just a way to capitalize on whatever name recognition a person already has. Nathan is well ahead of any other US skaters on the “big” sponsorship deals, but Jason has posted a few ads for well-known brands here and there. I don’t get the impression he’s had to rely as much on hustling for the smaller sponsored deals (leggings, vegan meal kits, whatever) as some skaters do to cover their expenses. (ETA: not because he’s making bank from the big brands, it just seems like he’s had relatively stable financial support compared to some other skaters.) The reality of most of the sponsored content for skaters on social media is that it’s not that lucrative and most of the money probably goes right back out the door to pay bills. Those big deals with big brands are pretty rare these days.

Last edited:

Trillian

SMDH that the USFS is dragging this out to the last possible competition.

Makes sense if they want to keep him healthy for Beijing, though. He already has that minimum, so if the opportunity comes up it would be a shame to see him miss out because he caught YKW at the Bavarian Open or something. Are there any other events between Olys and Challenge Cup?

Technically USFS did give him a shot at the minimums much earlier in the season, though. ;)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Makes sense if they want to keep him healthy for Beijing, though. He already has that minimum, so if the opportunity comes up it would be a shame to see him miss out because he caught YKW at the Bavarian Open or something. Are there any other events between Olys and Challenge Cup?

Technically USFS did give him a shot at the minimums much earlier in the season, though. ;)
There are a couple of events in February in Europe. It's a tough call, I get it, and there isn't really any good option - aside from naming him to the Olympic team and letting him get that .22 he's missing there. ;)

I just don't care for the timing because it is 2 weeks before Jr Worlds, so he's going to be switching back and forth between programs a lot in that month.

Trillian

Yup, yup, I know. It should be easy. But we thought that prior to Cup of Austria too. ;)

Cup of Austria was a bummer, but if I remember correctly he was still pretty close to the Worlds minimum (?). I have full confidence he’ll be fine at Challenge Cup! It’ll be a grueling month or so with all three of those events, but hopefully a great experience for him.

sheetz

It was a huge tactical error to go for such a tough layout at Austria. But part of me wonders if he went for so much because was trying to hit the benchmark scores for the Olympic Team selection.

Sylvia

TBD
Cup of Austria was a bummer, but if I remember correctly he was still pretty close to the Worlds minimum (?).
34 is the Worlds SP minimum and he scored 33.78 (13th place): http://skateaustria.vs91-250-98-130...7.2021_22/030/CSC.o.A_SeniorMen_SP_Scores.pdf

I recall some skaters at 2016 Worlds being able to use their junior TES for senior minimums. Was it changed for the 2016-17 season?

Challenge Cup is Feb. 24-27 in Tilburg NED.
Junior Worlds is Mar. 7-13 in Sofia BUL.
Worlds is Mar. 21-27 in Montpellier FRA.

Trillian

It was a huge tactical error to go for such a tough layout at Austria. But part of me wonders if he went for so much because was trying to hit the benchmark scores for the Olympic Team selection.

I would guess the same thing, and it probably would have paid off if he’d gone clean. In retrospect it might have been better to play it safe, but it’s a tough call. I can see the logic behind either strategy.

Cup of Austria had a huge impact on how this season played out for him, but I bet in the long run it won’t be particularly representative of who he is as a skater. He strikes me as a better competitor than that. I’m excited to see what he does next.

sheetz

34 is the Worlds SP minimum and he scored 33.78 (13th place): http://skateaustria.vs91-250-98-130...7.2021_22/030/CSC.o.A_SeniorMen_SP_Scores.pdf

I recall some skaters at 2016 Worlds being able to use their junior TES for senior minimums. Was it changed for the 2016-17 season?

Challenge Cup is Feb. 24-27 in Tilburg NED.
Junior Worlds is Mar. 7-13 in Sofia BUL.
Worlds is Mar. 21-27 in Montpellier FRA.
I think you're right in that it was 2016-17, because there was the whole controversy of Vincent not having the World minimums that year. The previous year Nathan only competed as a junior but it was not an issue for him to be nominated for the Worlds team.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Are the opening ceremonies in Beijing? Looks more like Antarctic to me. 😈

LOL. And I read elsewhere that these jackets automatically expand (puff up) as the temperature drops. Not too much, I hope!!! They worked for their svelte figures!!!

sk9tingfan

LOL. And I read elsewhere that these jackets automatically expand (puff up) as the temperature drops. Not too much, I hope!!! They worked for their svelte figures!!!
I love the navy predominant version with the red leggings and boots on Alysa!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I love the navy predominant version with the red leggings and boots on Alysa!

Just answering sk9tingfan, albeit in the US Men’s thread:
This outfit suits Alysa to a T…her fresh cute self. I’m looking towards Alysa not just to deliver Team USA Women’s best FS performances but also be the most adorable interviewee. I have a sneaking feeling that she’ll provide the sweetest quotable quotes throughout the Games.
Now back to discussing the US Men.

sheetz

Exciting news for Nathan! He's going to appear in commercials along with Shaun White and Mikaela Shiffrin to promote the upcoming release of Jurassic World Dominion.

More info on the commercials.
In collaboration with NBC Sports, Universal Pictures worked with the Jurassic World Dominion filmmakers and the legendary artists at Industrial Light & Magic to create a breathtaking, thrilling two-minute spot featuring U.S. Olympians Shaun White, a three-time gold medalist, Mikaela Shiffrin, a three-time medalist including two gold, and Nathan Chen, a three-time world champion, who each experience their own up-close-and-personal encounter with iconic Jurassic World dinosaurs as they snowboard, ski and skate amid stunning winter landscapes.
Olympic gold medalist Mikaela Shiffrin debuted the first of these spots with an appearance on NBC’s Today on Jan. 21. This spot, which features Shiffrin with the raptor Blue from the Jurassic World films, will also run during the NFL Divisional Round game on January 23. Then, beginning at 8 p.m. ET on January 31, all three of the individual athletes’ individual spots will appear simultaneously in a “roadblock” across multiple platforms. This will be followed on February 3 by a primetime exclusive preview of the 2-minute spot featuring all three athletes and the campaign will culminate with the official premiere of the 2-minute spot during NBCU’s coverage of the Opening Ceremony on February 4.
“I’ve looked up in wonder at the Jurassic World films on movie screens, so to be able to do it myself is beyond anything I could have imagined,” said Nathan Chen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information