U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

Dobre

If he does well at nationals and makes the world team, that decision will cost him some valuable world standing points.

It's OK. As I said last year, it never hurts to be in a separate group from the Poohs. (Though if he goes to 4CCs, he could wind up after them after all).

jlai

Question everything
No one is downplay Karen and Nathan about academics in this thread. It is someone attributed Nathan’s balance of school to him devoting less time and efforts to study, and not as good a student in terms of grades.

Again, strive to get something doesn’t equate you get something. It is comparing efforts against results. Nathan seldom mentions he wants OG gold medal or world championship gold medals, he did stumble on the way, but he managed to be two time world champion. He just is not the type to say it. He just go and do it. He struggled a lot in the first semester to the degree he started to doubt himself. He did very well the second semester, otherwise he will not be in Yale this season. Phil Hersh tweeted Nathan was not committed in the press conference before worlds. Using the B he gets in the first semester when he struggled so that much to say he is fine with not being best is just so judgemental.
Lo lei gong. Fai wa

Last edited:

Alexa

Lo lei gong. Fai wa
No idea what your reply and previous reply are.

Ok, with the help from #454, sorry if my post made you upset or anything. I promise I would stop here about this and try to post more about other men lol.

Last edited:

nimi

Kenji Miyamoto (choreographer & former ice dancer) interviewed Tomoki in Japan. Some friendly soul provided English subtitles and posted a preview clip plus a link to the episode on twitter:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Nathan really killed it today, going north of 110
So, Nathan just scored north of 335 at the GPF and Jason managed to earn just 242 and change to win GS. About the only potentially interesting storyline at Nationals will be what sort of shape Vincent shows up in.

Tavi

So, Nathan just scored north of 335 at the GPF and Jason managed to earn just 242 and change to win GS. About the only potentially interesting storyline at Nationals will be what sort of shape Vincent shows up in.

Nathan obviously did brilliantly and I’m looking forward to seeing his FS.

But since Jason has obviously been struggling recently, your dismissal of his win and disdain for his score is pretty tacky. IMO, of course.

Karen-W

Nathan obviously did brilliantly and I’m looking forward to seeing his FS.

But since Jason has obviously been struggling recently, your dismissal of his win and disdain for his score is pretty tacky. IMO, of course.
I love Jason as much as the next person and I wasn't dismissive of his win but the numbers don't lie. What he delivered is nearly 100 points less than Nathan did to win the GPF at around the same exact time. That doesn't make Jason exactly competitive for another national title and it's hardly tacky to point that out.

jlai

Question everything
I don't see how anyone other than Nathan is seriously competitive for the national title, it's no brainer. Jason is working his way back to his peak form, so we'll see how he does at nationals. Right now 2rd and 3rd is wide open. But let's hope Zhou is back in good form at nationals so we'll see a good fight for medals.

Tavi

I love Jason as much as the next person and I wasn't dismissive of his win but the numbers don't lie. What he delivered is nearly 100 points less than Nathan did to win the GPF at around the same exact time. That doesn't make Jason exactly competitive for another national title and it's hardly tacky to point that out.

You were seriously expecting that Jason might be competitive for a national title this season? At his best right now, with an absolutely pristine skate and Nats inflation, he might score 280-290. But he’s struggling right now for unknown reasons and is well off his personal best. In that context, your comparison of his win and his scores at GS to Nathan‘s at the GPF do read as dismissive. To me.

Willin

I like Nathan but his shirts look like ones you'd find on the rack of non-sellers at Bloomingdales.
The weirdest part is that both ones at this competition were Vera Wang. Seriously I don't mind the athletic shirts, they're better than whatever hideous creation Vera Wang gives him. I actually liked his athletic shirt from the earlier Grand Prixs better because it evoked the colorful drug trip that was Elton John's life as portrayed in that movie.

A.H.Black

I like Nathan but his shirts look like ones you'd find on the rack of non-sellers at Bloomingdales.
The weirdest part is that both ones at this competition were Vera Wang. Seriously I don't mind the athletic shirts, they're better than whatever hideous creation Vera Wang gives him. I actually liked his athletic shirt from the earlier Grand Prixs better because it evoked the colorful drug trip that was Elton John's life as portrayed in that movie.
I don't think either shirt would be terrible if they fit better. They look too big - and that makes them look a bit sloppy.

A.H.Black

One of the best things Nathan has going for him is his ability to praise other skaters. He never gives anyone any motivation to prove him wrong as he is always complimentary. It's never about Nathan. It's always about how great the other skaters are. I know it's the way he has been taught, and he is always gracious. I also think it's great competition strategy

Last edited:

Lacey

Evan's hand-me-downs? They are not even close to being the same body type.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Count me as another who preferred the shirt Nathan wore for his GPs. The yellow just doesn't work...both the color and fit (or lack thereof).

Karen-W

I sort of like Nathan’s slacker fit shirts. At least it’s different. I don’t remember most Men’s costumes no matter how many sparkles it has and the ones that I do are remembered for the wrong reasons and utterly offensive.
I agree. Honestly, I think they just fit in with his overall vibe and style as a person. And, I see them going a long way toward making figure skating "cool" with teenagers today. Slacker fit shirts say "any kid can get on the ice and skate and have fun". They make figure skating seem accessible. I think he's a marketer's dream, except skating isn't cool the way snowboarding and other x-stream sports are these days. Nathan's slacker fit shirts move the sport in that direction though.

Dobre

About the only potentially interesting storyline at Nationals will be what sort of shape Vincent shows up in.

We have a World gold medalist lined up for Nationals in the men's event.
We have a World bronze medalist lined up for Nationals in the men's event.
We have Jason, Camden, Tomoki, etc. all capable of being terrific or non-terrific as the day may be.

I am always up for this level of potentially interesting storyline:).

SkateFanBerlin

Doesn't need pointing out.

SkateFanBerlin

Actually Tie-dye wold be cool for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information