U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

aftershocks

Banned Member
Nathan Chen - back flip on ice (for show)

That doesn't look like it's 'on ice' though. It looks like Nathan is on roller blades on concrete. It's an excellent backflip, though, especially if he just learned it.

Last edited:

gkelly

That doesn't like it's 'on ice' though. It looks like Nathan is on roller blades on concrete.

Those definitely look like blades, not wheels.

Not sure about the surface, though. Is this the outdoor rink at Sun Valley?

It's an excellent backflip, though, especially if he just learned it.

Indeed

Sylvia

TBD
Not sure about the surface, though. Is this the outdoor rink at Sun Valley?
Yes. Nathan's original IG post/clip: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1CH0-Wno4d/ (some of the skater comments are :lol:)
Nathan's back flip clip was posted by Nathan himself on his Instagram yesterday and was learned AFTER the show (on Sunday morning). Pro skater Ashley Clark taught him in one session, apparently (her Instagram story on Sunday morning was copied for posterity here): https://twitter.com/aboutNathan0505/status/1160614772963856385

aftershocks

Banned Member
Here's Andrew's sp in Philly in full (I've only previously seen it on Instagram in four clips):

Someone also uploaded Andrew's performances in the 2019 jump contest at Broadmoor Arena:

aftershocks

Banned Member
These tips (from JB's parents, shared by @Sylvia in Jason's fan thread) on raising children to be positive through thick and thin should be disseminated far and wide:

Just as this positive, inspirational message/talk by Paul Wylie should be spread far and wide! This was a talk Paul gave several years ago,* but I only came across it recently. I'm blown away hearing from Paul about his journey, as there are some things he shared I wasn't aware of. But obviously, there's a lot we don't know as fans about skaters' lives and emotions...

*Actually, Paul has been giving this message for awhile in different venues (conferences, etc.) He should probably do a TedTalk. The first link below is the first version I saw from 2014 in Vail, Colorado. The second one is a longer version (2018) I just came across while looking for the earlier talk. :D Both are titled: "From Pathetic to Podium" Take a listen and be inspired!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuawYcmkqls Paul Wylie 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71kmMOIoUA Paul Wylie 2018

Thanks to Paul Wylie, and to the Brown family! :respec:

ETA:
Paul's message probably deserves its own thread. There's lots of food for thought.
"As a competitive figure skater, for years and years and years I had felt beaten down by my own self, by the[negative] conversations I was having with myself... I had to learn how to focus on the positives of what I could do, and not on my worries and fears..."

Paul has probably given a version of his upbeat message to figure skaters at U.S. figure skating gatherings. I really get encouragement from how Paul discusses thinking differently about setbacks and negative emotions, and the key importance of community and people who support and care about you. In the longer second video, Paul also talks about bouncing back from his sudden cardiac arrest episode, and his good fortune of having people there who helped save his life.

Bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMnieV66yg8 2009 Paul Wylie Tribute (Ice Theater of NY)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqGOsP3Z0HE Private Lesson with Paul Wylie
:D She's cute, but it's sad that young skaters today don't know who the legends of figure skating are, especially the ones who are still alive... The Wylie tribute video is a good one to share with young skaters. I'm glad Paul is passing on his knowledge, and that he brought along a video of one of his performances...

Last edited:

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Top Junior Men scores thus far- (and top novice scores)

Ilia Malinin 201.84 Philadelphia E (intl)
Maxim Naumov 192.78 Cranberry E
Eric Sjoberg 183.91 Glacier Falls P
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest P
Nicholas Hsieh 174.09 Skate Wilmington E
Matthew Nielsen 170.72 Broadmoor Open M
Goku Endo 170.48 Glacier Falls P
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice) M
William Annis 162.75 Cranberry E
Daniel Argueta 157.57 Detroit M
Eric Prober 152.10 Philadelphia E
Lucas Altieri 151.99 Broadmoor E
Joseph Klein 150.73 Broadmoor (Novice) M

SENIOR MEN top summer club comp scores-

Jimmy Ma 219 Detroit E
Andrew Torgashev 212 Philadelphia M
Ryan Dunk 209 Glacier Falls E
Alexei Krasnozhon 208 Detroit (bye to Nats)
Dinh Tran 197 Detroit P
Joonsoo Kim 192 Collegiate P
Camden Pulkinen 186 Philadelphia M
Sean Rabbitt 178 Glacier Falls P

TBD: Nathan Chen, Jason Brown, Vincent Zhou, Tomoki Hiwatashi

Sylvia

TBD
From the Challenger Series thread:
I guess this is probably unofficial, but the Nebelhorn Trophy's page, does list a couple of the planned competitors (translation provided by Google - so if spelling/grammar/weird errors, blame the bot):

"... The popular American Jason Brown wants to present his new freestyle on "Schindler's List" in Germany for the first time in front of an audience."

jlai

Question everything
Top Junior Men scores thus far- (and top novice scores)

Ilia Malinin 201.84 Philadelphia E (intl)
Maxim Naumov 192.78 Cranberry E
Eric Sjoberg 183.91 Glacier Falls P
Liam Kapeikis 180.96 Seattle Ice Fest P
Nicholas Hsieh 174.09 Skate Wilmington E
Matthew Nielsen 170.72 Broadmoor Open M
Goku Endo 170.48 Glacier Falls P
Daniel Martynov 170.16 Southport (Novice) M
William Annis 162.75 Cranberry E
Daniel Argueta 157.57 Detroit M
Eric Prober 152.10 Philadelphia E
Lucas Altieri 151.99 Broadmoor E
Joseph Klein 150.73 Broadmoor (Novice) M

SENIOR MEN top summer club comp scores-

Jimmy Ma 219 Detroit E
Andrew Torgashev 212 Philadelphia M
Ryan Dunk 209 Glacier Falls E
Alexei Krasnozhon 208 Detroit (bye to Nats)
Dinh Tran 197 Detroit P
Joonsoo Kim 192 Collegiate P
Camden Pulkinen 186 Philadelphia M
Sean Rabbitt 178 Glacier Falls P

TBD: Nathan Chen, Jason Brown, Vincent Zhou, Tomoki Hiwatashi
Thx. It looks like the US men, despite having Pulkinen, Alexei, and Tomoki going senior, still have 4 men with a shot of placing top 4-5, or even medal in the first few jgps. Maybe that's the reason USFS is holding off announcing assignments for the JGP Russia. They want to save spots for the top finishers, while leaving spots for others like maybe Sjoberg or Hsieh

Sylvia

TBD
JGP men/candidates who have attempted and/or landed 3A in competition, either before this season or this summer:
Andrew Torgashev (has a new entrance (before 1 minute mark in this tweeted clip) this year), Ryan Dunk, Ilia Malinin (new jump for him in competition this season), Maxim Naumov, Matthew Nielsen (fell on rotated 3A in his Skate Detroit SP), Liam Kapeikis (fell on 3A< attempt in his SP at BC SummerSkate last night);
Not yet assigned to a JGP this summer: Dinh Tran, William Annis, Eric Prober, Max Lake, Joseph Kang, Peter Liu (latter 2 have not competed yet AFAIK).

From Jason's fan thread:
Speaking of Schindler's List, Jordan has posted a longer clip of Jason's program:

Off-Season Adventures with Jason Brown (summary of his travels earlier this summer): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...g-off-season-adventures-with-jason-brown.aspx

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
If Jason can get the jumps in, it could be a truly memorable program.

If he can't, it could turn out to be one of those programs that make fans debate artistry vs. jumps.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

I have a feeling that this is Jason's last competitive season. Talks abougt being off the ice - vacation, school. And Schindler is such a sad piece - not his usual thing. I love his skating, but it must be frustrating. The sport has changed so much.

Tavi

I have a feeling that this is Jason's last competitive season. Talks abougt being off the ice - vacation, school. And Schindler is such a sad piece - not his usual thing. I love his skating, but it must be frustrating. The sport has changed so much.

I don’t really follow your logic, but he has said in many interviews this past year that his goal is to continue through the 2022 Olympics and to try to make the Olympic team.

Stephanie

William Annis (N1) is now listed for the Russian JGP on the ISU site in the place of Maxim Naumov. I'm guessing this is strategic for Naumov's (potential) second event since the Russian event has a very tough field.

Sylvia

TBD
Jordan Moeller shared this IG post/choreography clip (filmed at the Detroit Skating Club earlier this summer, I assume, since Jordan has been in England for a while now): https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ZEiben5ZB/
“Ease My Mind” by Ben Platt
Choreography by Jeremy Abbott

Very excited to show off my new short program this season. @idreamofjeremy created something special and I can’t wait to share it with you 😊 @bensplatt
#figureskating #newseason #shortprogram #benplatt #jordansmindneedseasing
ETA that I noticed the FSO article has since been updated with his programs:
Update on 8/19: Jordan will be skating to “Ease My Mind” by Ben Platt choreographed by Jeremy Abbott for his short program. For his free skate, Jordan will skate to “Adagio in G Minor” as performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. It was choreographed by Anna Matzuszewski and Jordan Moeller.
From last season's U.S. Men's thread:
"Adagio in G Minor - A Figure Skating Piece Featuring Jordan Moeller and Choreographed by Anna Matuszewski": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llP3nZyYQRA

This passion project was filmed in Seattle back in March 2018: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf65gGHBEvt/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf4pRF4BL_a/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
2019 U.S. Novice silver medalist Matthew Nielsen skated a clean SP (3Lo, 3Lz+3T, 2A) today in his JGP debut in Courchevel :cheer: (this is his 2nd junior international in 2 years). Link to watch his 2nd place SP (70.19): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoyP-ez50Bg
He's a relatively late bloomer, having turned 16 in May, and has started landing 3A this year.

Maxim Naumov, who turned 18 earlier this month and missed all of last season due to injury, fell on his opening 3A, his combo was called 3T+3T<, landed 3Lo and is in 6th place (63.47): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBqhZ8xTbC4
Unfortunately for him, top 5 (not 6) make the final FS group on Saturday because there are 20 skaters (4 groups of 5).

tylersf

Best of luck to all the US men!
Vincent's slots are especially tough. Extra extra extra extra good luck to him.

U.S. men have received 12 Grand Prix slots in the initial selection round:

Nathan Chen (Skate America & France)
Vincent Zhou (Cup of China & Russia)
Jason Brown (Skate America & NHK/Japan)
Tomoki Hiwatashi (France & NHK/Japan) GP debut
Camden Pulkinen (Skate Canada & China) GP debut
Alex Krasnozhon (Russia)
Skate America 3rd spot TBD

Andrew Torgashev is expected to return to the JGP for his final season of ISU Junior eligibility.

tylersf

OMG - I feel the same way. If he could stand up a few quads into his programs, he would truly go down in history as an iconic skater. I hoping for Jason to acquire his quads.

If Jason can get the jumps in, it could be a truly memorable program.

If he can't, it could turn out to be one of those programs that make fans debate artistry vs. jumps.

Stephanie

William Annis and Eric Sjoberg are now listed on the USFS site, along with the ISU site, for the Russia JGP.

concorde

Lake Placid starting orders are up and all 3 US men are in the final group. Keeping my fingers crossed that they all have a great skate.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Well, after the exodus in USA junior mens last year it looks like we are still in business. All 3 men in top 6 after SP.. I need to familiarize myself though with these guys (except Ryan). Who are Ilia and Joseph?

wickedwitch

So if you're wondering where that wonderful boy on the JGP came from, the answer is probably last year's novice event. Of course, in true USFSA fashion, the video interface is terrible, but at least it exists.

The SP:
Prober 1:01:10 (the only one without a JGP thus far)
Malinin 1:20:05
Klein 1:39:40 (A highlight of Nationals, IMO.)
Nielsen 1:44:00
Annis 1:48:25
Kapeikis 1:52:35 (He bombed the SP but IMO, is still absolutely worth watching)

Klein, Nielsen, Annis, and Kapeikis go consecutively.

Jayar

Well, after the exodus in USA junior mens last year it looks like we are still in business. All 3 men in top 6 after SP.. I need to familiarize myself though with these guys (except Ryan). Who are Ilia and Joseph?

You are now banned. How can a member of FSU not know who Ilia Malinin is? He is only the son of Tatiana Malinina and Roman Skorniakov. :saint:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information