U.S. Men 2018-19 season (cont.) - news & updates

olympic

I was looking at next season's Grand Prix schedule, and I see a potential issue for Nathan. He picked SkAm and the Internationaux last year as the only events that fit his university schedule, but this year the order of the events has been moved around -- SkAm is still first, but the last event (and chronologically the one scheduled for where the Internationaux was last year) is NHK Trophy, which will obviously be reserved for Yuzuru Hanyu.

I think Nathan can get away w/ doing one GP event (if that is what he chooses to do or if it is allowable). He is two-time World Champ and at this point, he could follow the later Kwan route w/ regard to fall competitions. He has shown he does not need a lot of competitions to be in fighting shape by Worlds.

BTW. WOW w/ regard to Torgashev. Those quads were like buttah! If the improvements continue for both him and Hiwatashi, I wonder if the two are going to move up on Brown for #3, which I hope in turn motivates Brown further .....

wickedwitch

BTW. WOW w/ regard to Torgashev. Those quads were like buttah! If the improvements continue for both him and Hiwatashi, I wonder if the two are going to move up on Brown for #3, which I hope in turn motivates Brown further .....
I don't think that Brown is lacking motivation.

gkelly

It's no longer allowed. A sequence has to be edge to edge with no additional steps/stumbles in between, such as a half loop (actually, I think those are considered combos now)

Yes, that has been true of half loop/Euler into salchow or flip for quite a few years now.

or Hanyu's step straight from his 4T landing into a 3A.

Yes, still a valid sequence.

Just this past year they changed the definition of a sequence to
"A jump sequence consists of 2 (two) jumps of any number of revolutions, beginning with any listed jump, immediately followed by an Axel type jump with a direct step from the landing curve of the first jump to the take-off curve of the Axel jump."

Which means there are even fewer options for valid sequences now. So much for creativity.

It also means that if a skater stumbles between a first and second jump in an intended combination, including a combination with half loop/Euler in the middle, then the jump(s) after the stumble get asterisked and the element gets coded as +Seq in order for the 80% base value to apply to the jump(s) that count(s).

Executions of jump not counted in Jumps combination or sequence

If in a jump combination or sequence a skater falls or steps out of a jump and immediately executes another jump(s), the jump(s) after the mistake are not counted, and the call will be the executed jump(s) before the mistake + sequence + the executed jump(s). The jumps after the mistake are marked with an *.

2A(hop)+2A Call: 2A+Seq+2A* 2A+1Eu (fall/step out) +3S Call: 2A+1Eu+Seq+3S*

By doing this all the executed jumps will be visible on the computer screen and it will be easy to follow the requirements of the repetition rule.

The Judges GOE refer to the entire element performed.

Jumps units not fulfilling the definition of Combo/Seq

The jumps are considered in the order of execution. The point where the mistake occurs will be marked with the sign “ + Seq” which results in 80% of the base value for the jumps prior to mistake and asterisk (*) for the jumps after it. E.g.: 3T+2A+Seq.+2T*, 3T+3T+Seq.+2A*, 3T+1Eu+Seq.+2T*

nathanfan

I don’t see Nathan doing just one GP. He’s been undefeated there for two seasons - I would think he will be going for his third GPF win.

meer

Yeah, same. I honestly don't see Nathan skipping the GP or just doing one event. He mentioned earlier this year being worried that if he failed at SA (when things were still pretty rough for him) his season would be over. And he is missing school right now for Worlds/SOI (tho he's on his way home now I think) and will go back to Japan later in April for WTT. So he's not against missing school if he needs to. I'd guess he'll take Rostelecom since it's around his break.

And Raf mentioned not wanting him to go to school past December and Nathan hasn't really said he'll go back next year either. Doesn't help with the GP though, but he wouldn't have to worry about Worlds and Nationals.

Marco

Looks like Torgashev may have been very close to winning if he had left out the 3sal part altogether after the step out. He was 'double penalized' in a way that (1) the 3sal didn't count in the BV but (2) they counted the pass as a SEQ, with a 20% discount on BV of the lutz. Would have won for sure if he could then successfully tag the 3sal to the second lutz or final loop, or simply do another 2toe combo.

olympic

Going fwd. I think Torgashev has some decisions to make: He will either work on being consistent and gaining a 3A, or start working on a 4S? Probably the former. Interestingly, he has beautiful SS, gorgeous 4T but struggles on simpler jumps including the 3A, and is coached by Christy Krall. Sound like someone else we know?

feraina

Going fwd. I think Torgashev has some decisions to make: He will either work on being consistent and gaining a 3A, or start working on a 4S? Probably the former. Interestingly, he has beautiful SS, gorgeous 4T but struggles on simpler jumps including the 3A, and is coached by Christy Krall. Sound like someone else we know?
Lol. Took me a while! But Chan became world champion with Krall. Plus he had his most consistent years with her. I was always puzzled by his leaving her. He was just getting to the peak of his ability. I feel like he could’ve accomplished more had he stayed.

ilovepaydays

Lol. Took me a while! But Chan became world champion with Krall. Plus he had his most consistent years with her. I was always puzzled by his leaving her. He was just getting to the peak of his ability. I feel like he could’ve accomplished more had he stayed.

I don’t think that Patrick Chan had “quit” having Christy Krall as his coach was near as much as what happened as she “quit” being his coach.

Sylvia

TBD
As posted by @RoseRed in this thread, Alex Krasnozhon's 250 ISU WS points for winning Egna Spring Trophy should move him to the top 24 of the World Standings list and guarantee him at least 1 GP next season. Camden Pulkinen is projected to be #24 in the WS and Tomoki Hiwatashi is currently #23 on the SB list - I'm looking forward to seeing both make their respective GP debuts next season.

Nathan and Vincent (who was in the audience of the SOI Osaka show so I assume he has been working with Mie Hamada since Worlds) were selected to compete at World Team Trophy in Fukuoka, April 10-14.

Jason has posted an end of season message for his fans ("Grateful but not satisfied!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/BvsvIybndZy/

RoseRed

He's only been with Christy for about a year (at least full-time). He moved from Florida last February I believe. And the jumps have gotten a lot better. He used to have a huge popping problem which they seem to really have gotten under control - the step-outs are an improvement. So we'll see what she can do about the axel.

Jammers

If Andrew ever started landing his jumps he would move up the men's ranks in the US very quickly. After Nathan, Vincent and Jason there isn't a ton of depth in men's unlike the last Olympic cycle and i think he would prove to be a threat to Jason since Torgashev is such a good overall skater. He just needs to start landing the 3a consistently along with the quad which he has proven he can land unlike Jason.

layman

If Andrew ever started landing his jumps he would move up the men's ranks in the US very quickly. After Nathan, Vincent and Jason there isn't a ton of depth in men's unlike the last Olympic cycle and i think he would prove to be a threat to Jason since Torgashev is such a good overall skater. He just needs to start landing the 3a consistently along with the quad which he has proven he can land unlike Jason.
Not a ton of depth? That second tier (of US men) includes Krazhnozhan, Pulkinen, and Hiwatashi. He will need a 3-axel to get past those fellas.

Dobre

Not a ton of depth? That second tier (of US men) includes Krazhnozhan, Pulkinen, and Hiwatashi. He will need a 3-axel to get past those fellas.

There's enough depth. Torgashev does have a better quad than Kraznozhon and Pulkinen. And better basics than Kraznozhon. In seniors, Torgashev will be able to put the quad in the SP and may be able to compete with them. We need him on the JGP this season, and he needs to A. stay healthy and B. gain the leadership experience. I think it's good for him that he has another season.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri

Torgashev beat Pulkinen at nationals this year. It’s certainly possible for him to do it again.

Sylvia

TBD
Article on Jason published yesterday: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2019/A...tagaya-Youngsters-Ahead-Of-2020-Olympic-Games
Excerpts:
After most of his teammates had returned to the U.S., Brown — along with parents Marla and Steven, and older sister Jordan — spent a few extra days in Tokyo’s Ward of Setagaya, which will serve as the home to some Team USA athletes at the Tokyo Games. Team USA athletes will be using Setagaya’s sport, health and wellness facilities for training and preparation during the Games, and one of the ways to show gratitude to them for hosting Team USA is through cultural exchange events.
More photos from his hospital visit were shared by Jason here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvh4mobnqjr/
Still, he’s encouraged by technique improvements made with his new coaching team and is already planning programs for the 2019-20 season with choreographers Rohene Ward and David Wilson.
“We have a few ideas,” Brown said. “Time will tell.”
Eyes firmly set on the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022, Brown is limiting his touring schedule this spring, electing to appear in just three “Stars on Ice” shows.
“I’m taking two weeks off in May, and that’s about it,” he said. “There’s a lot of work to do. … We’re going to go home and figure out what I need to do to improve my mental and physical game, how to put all of the pieces together.”

BittyBug

Disgusted
...but struggles on simpler jumps including the 3A...
For not an insignificant number of skaters, the 3A is harder than a quad toe or sow. The forward takeoff makes it entirely different from any other jump, so while it is 1/2 rotation less than a quad, it can be as or more difficult than a quad for some.

Off the top of my head, skaters who could easily knock off a quad yet lacked a 3A or struggled with it:

Lambiel
Chan
Chen (until recently - he dislikes the 3A)
Emmanuel Savary

I'm sure there are others.

Sylvia

TBD
Nathan just won the USOC's Best of March 2019 award -- his 3rd win of the 2018-19 season (he also won for November 2018 and January 2019): https://awards.teamusa.org/winners

ETA more about the U.S. Sports Academy from Tinami's first link above:
The United States Sports Academy is an independent, non-profit, accredited, special mission sports university created to serve the nation and world with programs in instruction, research and service. The role of the Academy is to prepare men and women for careers in the profession of sports.
The Academy is based in Daphne, Ala.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information