Status
Not open for further replies.

toddlj

I don't think it's likely she will skate this year. But I do think of she choses to skate, they will give her a bye. The team event has been a thing for a few years now. If they wanted the rule NOT to include the team medal, they would have added that caveat to the rule. The rule simply says medal... and she got a medal. "A competitor or couple who won a medal at the most recent Olympic Winter Games".

VGThuy

If the rule was indeed written before the Team Event, then the USFS should clarify and include or exclude the team event just to stop the debating. For some the rule is clear but why not make it clearer if they intend to exclude the team event?

Cleo1782

If the rule was indeed written before the Team Event, then the USFS should clarify and include or exclude the team event just to stop the debating. For some the rule is clear but why not make it clearer if they intend to exclude the team event?

Agreed. They should make it clear if they were to exclude the team event that is why I am sure the USFS would give her a bye if by some miracle she is competitively ready. A focused, healthy Gracie Gold is a very formidable skater. I could understand if she hadn't done much this entire quad, but she still had some very respectable results, won a US championship, made several world teams, did well on the GP, etc.

I just don't think the rule has ever been used before (Did Sasha Cohen use it in 2010? She withdrew from her GP's that season, but I think medical byes may have still been in place back then), so it's just not something that happens very often. IMO, if anyone deserves it-it is Gracie. She could go out to her GPs and skate poorly and get a bye to Nationals, so this makes me think Nationals is the least of her concerns because she is choosing her health and wellness. So I would fully support Gracie getting a bye if she felt ready.

Spun Silver

There but for the grace of God goes many a skater. What a loss for Gracie and US figure skating. She has the talent to come back stronger than ever but this was supposed to be her Olympics. Hopefully with that burden lifted she will feel freer. I hope she's surrounded by support. Prayers for her full recovery.

5Ali3

The original athlete selection procedures approved by U.S. Figure Skating and the USOC for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games read in part:
"... athletes earn an automatic invitation to the 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championships if they meet any of the following: ...
  • A competitor or couple who won a medal in the individual events at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games (Meryl Davis & Charlie White)

In September, the Board of Directors voted to modify this provision of the selection procedures to bring the wording into agreement with the wording in the Rulebook by striking the words "in the individual events" and "(Meryl Davis & Charlie White)." In addition, a missing semi-colon was added to a different provision of the same section.

The USOC approved both modifications.

Vagabond

To stop being snarky and get real for a moment . . . :shuffle:

1. Frank Carroll was correct. Gracie Gold was and is suffering from depression.
2. The fact he was correct doesn't excuse his invasion of Gold's privacy.
3. Major props to Gold for acknowledging both her eating order and particularly her depression. We've seen other skaters acknowledge eating orders, but I cannot think of any offhand who acknowledged being depressed.
4. I have no idea whether Gold is taking any antidepressant medication, but some antidepressants are apparently on WADA's list of banned substances. I don't know whether an athlete taking such medication could get a therapeutic exemption. Some antidepressants have side effects, such as weight gain, which, if persistent, are incompatible with competitive figure skating at the elite level.
5. Getting over depression without medication can take months or years even once the person recognizes the problem and attempts to address it.
6. In the larger scheme of things, being depressed and having an eating disorder is worse than missing out on making the Olympic Team, especially when you've already been a National Champion and been part of a medal-winning team at a previous Olympics.
7. Gold does have other things she can do besides skating.
8. Go Gracie! :kickass: [/GETTING REAL]

Last edited:

VGThuy

The original athlete selection procedures approved by U.S. Figure Skating and the USOC for the 2018 Winter Olympic Games read in part:

In September, the Board of Directors voted to modify this provision of the selection procedures to bring the wording into agreement with the wording in the Rulebook by striking the words "in the individual events" and "(Meryl Davis & Charlie White)." In addition, a missing semi-colon was added to a different provision of the same section.

You mean, this past September? Interesting. I think striking out the words "individual events" and (Meryl Davis & Charlie White), we have our answer there. Gold can still go to Nationals it seems. Now, whether she actually will remains to be seen.

jlai

Question everything

That makes it clear. Team events count.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I hope for Gracie there is no bye. She does not need that kind of pressure. (and that is just my opinion, obviously).

Cleo1782

I hope for Gracie there is no bye. She does not need that kind of pressure. (and that is just my opinion, obviously).

I think Gracie would still have to fill out the proper paperwork to get a bye, so it would be her decision. And even if she somehow does end up on the roster-she always can withdraw if she doesn't feel ready. So even if it's too much pressure and Nationals should be the last thing on her mind, I think it might give her some hope to at least know her Olympic season isn't completely over if she feels ready.

Jammers

I'm not sure what posting all these videos really does. I remember a few years ago when Gracie was posting videos of her doing some insane jump combos too but she very rarely jumped like that in competition which is a big difference from jumping in practice with no pressure and nothing at stake. I guess it's Tom Z. playing politics again to be honest i wish he would work more on his skaters skating skills and programs then hyping them.

Last edited:

Cleo1782

I'm not sure what posting all these videos really does. I remember a few years ago when Gracie was posting videos of her doing some insane jump combos too but she very rarely jumped like that in competition which is a big different from jumping in practice with no pressure and nothing at stake. I guess it's Tom Z. playing politics again to be honest i wish he would work more on his skaters skating skills and programs then hyping them.

It's a mind game basically. Coaches and skaters use it to build momentum and buzz. Obviously it works. People are talking about it. It keeps skaters relevant. And I agree both Mirai and Gracie were/are tremendous practice skaters. Social Media is a very effective way to put skills out there. Gracie Gold literally made herself a thing with videos and summer comps in 2011. Mirai is building her own buzz with these videos. Hyping is just part of the game.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I'm not sure what posting all these videos really does. I remember a few years ago when Gracie was posting videos of her doing some insane jump combos too but she very rarely jumped like that in competition which is a big difference from jumping in practice with no pressure and nothing at stake. I guess it's Tom Z. playing politics again to be honest i wish he would work more on his skaters skating skills and programs then hyping them.

@Jammers, let's get you an avatar! Try this one -- it fits you perfectly. :p

Cleo1782

We just have to remember skating is still a political game. No harm in creating buzz and pushing your skaters. A good coach needs to do that just as much as they need to coach the elements correctly. You never want your skater to be forgotten.

Gymnasts literally send videos of themselves performing skills to get into camps and things like that.

I don't think Insta videos have ever hurt a skater showing skills.

Frida80

I think it's a mix. I consider Tom Z like a overly proud papa. Someone who loves to share his "kids'" successes to everyone he meets. He's not just sharing Mirai's jumps. He's sharing Vincent's jumps. He post videos of his younger skaters. He's honestly proud of them.
The second is CoR is next week. Of course he wants some buzz about Mirai. She's going against some heavy hitters, so he wants to remind everyone how good she is.

But when Mirai post jumps, it's not really for hype or politics. She normally post funny stuff, like when she messes up a jump or spin. Now she's very fired up. She now post clean jumps because she's confident in them and in herself.

Last edited:

Cleo1782

I think it's a mix. I consider Tom Z like a overly proud papa. Someone who loves to share his "kids'" successes to everyone he meets. He's not just sharing Mirai's jumps. He's sharing Vincent's jumps. He post videos of his younger skaters. He's honestly proud of them.
The second is CoP is next week. Of course he wants some buzz about Mirai. She's going against some heavy hitters, so he wants to remind everyone how good she is.

But when Mirai post jumps, it's not really for hype or politics. She normally post funny stuff, like when she messes up a jump or spin. Now she's very fired up. She now post clean jumps because she's confident in them and in herself.

Mirai almost overtrains in my opinion. She is a determined girl. Her practices were AMAZING at SLC, but she got weighed down by the pressure. I see no problem in Tom being a proud papa. He is supporting his skaters. And BTW, I happened to be staying in the same hotel with Tom and was near the gym and that man worked out for like 3 hrs. I was just getting coffee and then leaving the hotel and he was still at the gym. Determined man

Clutz

Banned Member
Well first and foremost, glad Gold is confident enough and loved enough to publically state her illnesses. The stigma can only be stopped when people are open, honest, and give others hope.

Past this, why are you all arguing about a poorly worded rule in the USFSA rule book? If she cannot compete in November and December, do you really expect a miraculous January? Also, even with a miracle, she would not hold up for Olympic selection because she has nothing this season and last season was a disaster. There would be no justification to put her on the team ahead of Wagner, Nagasu, Chen or Bell. They really couldn't make an argument against Zhang, Hicks, or Wang either not to mention Edmonds.

I personally have no desire to see her go splat again at Nationals nor have her troubles overshadow Nationals and the Olympic selection.

Cleo1782

Well first and foremost, glad Gold is confident enough and loved enough to publically state her illnesses. The stigma can only be stopped when people are open, honest, and give others hope.

Past this, why are you all arguing about a poorly worded rule in the USFSA rule book? If she cannot compete in November and December, do you really expect a miraculous January? Also, even with a miracle, she would not hold up for Olympic selection because she has nothing this season and last season was a disaster. There would be no justification to put her on the team ahead of Wagner, Nagasu, Chen or Bell. They really couldn't make an argument against Zhang, Hicks, or Wang either not to mention Edmonds.

I personally have no desire to see her go splat again at Nationals nor have her troubles overshadow Nationals and the Olympic selection.

No one expects anything. The rules are just clear. She can make a bid to Nationals if she feels ready. That's all.

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
As posted in the Programs/Choreographers thread earlier today, Karen tweeted that she was switching her FS music to music from the Slow Dancing in the Big City (1978 film soundtrack by Bill Conti) and choreographing herself: https://twitter.com/Karebearsk8/status/920367985318957056

She later spoke to Elliott Almond, a Bay Area News group Olympic sports reporter, for this article: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/17/karen-chen-on-her-carmen-routine-i-trashed-it/
Chen, her mother and coach Tammy Gambill thought “Carmen” would fit because it is a classic skating piece. But Chen, who trains in Riverside, had doubts that were confirmed during the Japan Open team competition 10 days ago.
“I didn’t do the music justice so I made that bold decision,” Chen said.
The music from “Slow Dancing” “just popped up in my head,” the skater added. “There is no one who can do this for me so I have to figure it out by myself.”
Although it’s a big gamble to try a new program so close to the season’s start, Chen said, “This is what I needed. This is what I want.”

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Maybe it is "old news" to some, but i just read this V V V. Good for her! that's the only way to go, and not take money from parents.
http://heavy.com/sports/2017/10/ashley-wagner-family-mom-dad-parents/
"Once Wagner turned 18, she declared her financial independence and moved out of her parents’ home. The figure skater explained she needed to find out if she was competing for herself or her parents."

skatepixie

Respect to Karen. :respec: I'd never even heard of that music, or the movie it goes with, till today. And I thought I was a classic movie buff!

Also, I respect her initiative and drive.

Ditto.

I want to get my hands on this movie as I also love ballet -- but it's nowhere to be found online. Can't even find a physical copy on Amazon or eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information