U.S. Ice Dance 2020-21 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
The Peal family (including Ethan, 16, and Elliana, 13, and younger brother Evan who competed in Juvenile last season and is looking for a new partner, plus their father/coach Robert) has moved from Chicago to Nashville, TN - here's one minute of a local news feature on them shared on IG last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCFGG5_Jvzm/

Ethan & Elliana would have been age-eligible to debut on the JGP this year had it not been cancelled (though they currently are not listed in the ISP).

barbarafan

Layla Karnes and Kenan Slevira have been removed from the ISP.

Oona Brown and Gage Brown
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yehorov
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Katarina DelCamp and Ian Somerville
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Angela Ling and Caleb Wein
Eva Pate and Logan Bye
Elizabeth Tkachenko and Alexei Kiliakov
Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen

Why????

barbarafan

When teams are removed from the current ISP list (McNamara/Carpenter, Nguyen/Kolesnik), usually the reason is a retirement and/or split; no public confirmation by either Karnes or Slevira yet, AFAIK.
Thanks Sylvia....will await further news

Vark

thanks....have not seen her dance. All I have read is she teamed up with Kenan Slivera while he was teamed up with Marine Pouliot,

That is not true. Marine Pouliot broke up with Kenan Slevira after Lake Placid. She left Kenan and returned to Canada. Layla did a tryout with Kenan a few days before the deadline to register teams for the qualifying season. She had nothing to do with Marine & Kenan's split and I think it is wrong to blame Layla for breaking up another team.

barbarafan

That is not true. Marine Pouliot broke up with Kenan Slevira after Lake Placid. She left Kenan and returned to Canada. Layla did a tryout with Kenan a few days before the deadline to register teams for the qualifying season. She had nothing to do with Marine & Kenan's split and I think it is wrong to blame Layla for breaking up another team.
Really...did you read their story on icedance.com......Their parents were working on it for months before. Also look at the date their teaming up was announced.

Sylvia

TBD
Layla did a tryout with Kenan a few days before the deadline to register teams for the qualifying season [Sept. 1, 2019].
"Thanks to proactive parents, supportive coaches, and the universe, a tryout was organized August 29th."

Re. the ages of Karnes and Slevira:
I think she's very talented. She's quite young, too, so she has loads of potential for the future.
Karnes will be 15 on December 6, 2005. Slevira turned 17 on March 20, 2003.

Last edited:

Dobre

how does she stack up as a dancer?

Layla is a talented young ice dancer. She & Jeffrey Chen won the gold medal in juveniles and the silver in intermediates at Nationals. Then she teamed up with Aksenov and they earned the bronze in novices. Last year she teamed up with Slevira mid-season (which seemed like a pretty logical fit based on the experience level of both skaters), and I thought they did surprisingly well at the Junior Ice Dance Final prior to having a rough go at Junior Nationals. (Up & down as is pretty par for the course with such a new team). Anyway, I'm a bit sad to see that didn't work out but I wish them both the best.

Sylvia

TBD
Alex Benoit's former partner, Elliana Pogrebinsky, recently was interviewed about a forthcoming passion project: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CC9Wmjlpal7/
I had the great honor of being interviewed by Katie Morgan as part of USF's Dons from a Distance series. Our interview focuses on my new series now called Women in Athletics that I will be starting in August. Check out the video and stay tuned for all that is to come!
I posted about Elliana earlier this month in the "Athlete Mental Health..." thread here (also scroll down to post #11 for more info about her interview series): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ight-of-gold-documentary.107347/#post-5834155

Last edited:

barbarafan

She was only with him for 2 or 3 weeks. Don't know about now but he was difficult then. He competed with Polina Pankova last season and with Tish Marsh 16/17. Seems like he was in Florida after Tish.
I believe I saw them at Quebec summer skate...I was told story by ppl I was sitting near. That she had been skating with Zak but they broke up & this was first outing with new partner. Saw she was skating at competition right after this one but with Zak. They were very young and she is so bright and friendly full of fun. He is so intense and broody but artistically brilliant. They worked it out.

Sylvia

TBD
Currently listed on IPS (competed at 2020 U.S. Nationals and/or Dance Final):

Ella Ales J9; will be 19 in October
Hilary Asher J12; age 19
Claire Cain N4, age 14
Gabriela Hernandez N10; age 17
Ethan Alday N15; turned 20 last month
Audrey Kate Johnson Int4; will turn 13 this month

Some male partners who've competed at past U.S. Nationals:
Kirill Aksenov, 18 (Russian citizen)
TJ Carey, 20
Christian Bennett, 17

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
IDC’s latest article in their Solo Dance series confirms that Lucas Appel (4th in Intermediate with Audrey-Kate Johnson at last season’s Dance Final) has partnered with Anabelle Larson in Zoueva’s group, and they plan to compete at the Novice level this season: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/focus-on-solo-dance-athlete-perspective-part-ii/
Anna Sophia O’Brien (who placed 6th in Intermediate at the Dance Final with Steven Wei) also was interviewed.

Avonley Nguyen, Molly Cesanek and Eva Pate were featured in this IDC article, published on July 28th, about the benefits of solo ice dance early on in their respective careers: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/focus-on-solo-dance-athlete-perspective-part-i/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Karina Manta, Maxwell Gart, and Layla Karnes are among the 5 skaters featured in IDC's article today in their Solo Dance series: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/focus-on-solo-dance-athlete-perspective-part-iii/
Layla Karnes' quote at the end:
“These virtual classes helped keep me focused and ready for that much longed for return-to-ice! While my partner, Kenan Slevira is injured, I’m temporarily training in Idaho with some amazing coaches under the watchful eyes of Judy Blumberg.”

Tee

No, they had to have a score from the preseason in order to qualify for the JGP. It was their only international.
They split after her concussion. Maxwell is now attending college at Georgia Tech. So he may be retired??

Debbie S

I didn’t even know they had split. Was their only competition the one where she got a concussion?
They competed (very well, and had only been training together for about a month) at the Chesapeake Open last June. And probably either Chicago or Lake Placid, I can't remember. They looked very promising. I'm sorry they didn't get to compete a full season.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I had to go look her up (turns out Lavrova is the last name). She's very cute and looks pretty expressive.

But that won't keep me from missing Avonley, of course. :wuzrobbed I hope she finds a partner of her own very soon.

Dobre

I had to go look her up (turns out Lavrova is the last name).

Yes, she skated with Jeffrey Chen for a short while the season before last. Prior to that, I believe she was skating solo. (I could be remembering that last wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information