U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

Spiralgraph

Oh dear, I had no idea Anthony's parents split up. Like VGT, I'm saddened by that. I remember watching their incredible FD in 1992 and how it's still one of my all time favorites.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Oh dear, I had no idea Anthony's parents split up. Like VGT, I'm saddened by that. I remember watching their incredible FD in 1992 and how it's still one of my all time favorites.

Add me to the list of saddened fans. I DID see them in real time as early as the 83/84 season, when they were THE quintessential Sweethearts on Ice. 😔

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Wow, there is nothing online about Klimova/Ponomarenko divorcing; when this happen?

VGThuy

If someone said they are divorced but they’re not divorced, then I just wonder why anyone would say such a thing.

rinkside

I was told they were divorced but perhaps I was misinformed. But I know they have not lived together for atleast a couple of years.

zee703

Maybe Mr and Mrs. P are working on different sides of the continent because that's where the jobs are (at least I hope that's the reason). I saw them twice at Champions on Ice shows and their programs were stunning.

Dobre

I'm sure U.S. ice dance fans are looking forward to seeing how they and Lorraine/Quinn fare head-to-head as well as individually - best wishes to both teams!

I am definitely looking forward to the battle with McNamara & Carpenter, Hurtado & Khaliavin, Carreira & Ponomarenko, and Popova & Mozgov. That's a great list. And a great experience for all of these developing teams to go up head-to-head at a GP together.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
FIRST GP medal for Lorraine/Quinn! :) ETA - in this part of the post-FD press conference, Quinn Carpenter explains how and why they choose their FD music (contemporary selections by Yann Tiersen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-PakuSxRg&t=46m52s

It was nice to hear from the medalists including Lorraine and Quinn! Marco seems to speak and understand English very well and seemed comfortable in the interview. Bukin not as much - it must be hard to do these interviews when questions are being asked in languages one might not understand so well (or at all!). Perhaps Stepanova was just uncomfortable re: language barriers or something, but man did she look BORED! :lol:

Congratulations to all the medalists!

Emerald66

So happy for Lorraine and Quinn. Managed to win bronze in a tougher field than SA and without a season's best too.

Dobre

Proud of Lorraine & Quinn. First grand prix medal.:cheer2: Also first time defeating Hurtado & Khaliavin. Wonderful group of developing teams at this competition. You could see the nerves for all of them, but also a lot of special. Great experience competing under the pressure of possibility. Congratulations to Anthony & Christina for finishing 5th in their first GP as well.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
The American teams were both getting - 2 points for extended lifts... did they get these penalties earlier this year? Shouldnt their coaching teams have this under control?

Yes, the junior to senior teams are coming along real well.

Wonder what is going on with H&B.

VGThuy

The American teams were both getting - 2 points for extended lifts... did they get these penalties earlier this year? Shouldnt their coaching teams have this under control?

Yes, the junior to senior teams are coming along real well.

Wonder what is going on with H&B.

I think it's one of those things where the timing was more on point in practice and such but they went over during actual competition. They can either re-construct the lifts or just continue to practice the same ones so the timing gets better during comp. Many teams get extended lift deductions early on in the season and fix it by the end of the season. They're all still getting used to doing those elements and trying to go through the lift, positions, transitions, and exit as smoothly as possible.

Dobre

The American teams were both getting - 2 points for extended lifts... did they get these penalties earlier this year?

No. They haven't received those deductions before. I'm certain McNamara & Carpenter haven't had any. I'm fairly certain Carreira & Ponomarenko haven't had any extended lift deductions either, though not as certain. Both teams have been competing since mid-summer. I believe this is the 4th event for both in performing their FDs. I'm sure the deductions were a shock. We're on the GP now, and competing away from home. Things are tightening up.

Am sure Shpilband and Kiliakov will be on their stopwatches now;).

Note: Also if the music player is running slow, that could wreak havoc with the lifts as teams perform them to their music. Hopefully that wasn't an issue today.

Last edited:

azcalder

C&P did SLC Classic and Nebelhorn Trophy before Helsinki.
M&C did LP International, Nepela Trophy, and Skate America before Helsinki.
Neither team had an extended lift deduction for any of the previous events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information