U.S. Figure Skating & NBC Sports Group Partner on Media Rights Agreement through 2026

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I just got an email from USFS titled “ icenetwork Account Notice “ confirming the migration and giving details about how and when I will be charged.

snoopy

Are there instructions somewhere if we don’t want those auto charge and subscription? The email came from USFSA and there is nothing there that says how to cancel.

mollymgr

Are there instructions somewhere if we don’t want those auto charge and subscription? The email came from USFSA and there is nothing there that says how to cancel.
You could probably switch your card expiration date on the primary card so it doesn't match what it is supposed to be. It would get declined if they go to auto-renew.

Japanfan

CBC is the Canadian equivalent of PBS, no? I don't think it's exactly comparable, but I believe they do get funding from the Canadian government -- about $1 billion annually when you combine the various government sources. It sounds like they don't make a whole lot of additional revenue from advertising and it doesn't allow it in a lot of their programming.
It's also different from PBS/NPR as I believe those two entities depend heavily on donations from private citizens and their portion from the U.S. government is quite small.

Yes, so the two are not equivalent. And CBC does make revenue from advertising - I haven't noticed that they have less advertising that other networks. VISA has long been one of its major advertisers for the Olympics.

Also, CBC's TV coverage can be poor. It usually provides good coverage of Worlds and Olympics, but not always so good for GP events, which are shown on a two-hour show called "Sports Saturday" that includes sports other than figure skating. CTV has the rights to Nationals and Skate Canada, and provides excellent coverage of those events. For that reason, Skate Canada is the Grand Prix I enjoy most.

CBC does provide the option of stream, and I'm getting used to it but really enjoy some commentary when I watch FS.
Probably CBC's coverage of the GPF will be good, given that it is in Canada.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks for the update @nimi. It would be great if Nick and Jackie would be able to continue via their own independent weekly or bimonthly podcast about figure skating. It would provide us fans with more choices and voices! Is there any indication that the IceTalk episodes might be archived on US figureskating fanzone? The final IceTalk episode is not up yet.
http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

I'm not holding my breath for NBC to offer anything as focused and in-depth with hosts who aren't distracted by kitsch, hype, and their own network contracts. :(

I got it too. But the card on file has not been updated so they won't be able to process the charge.

Just as I suspected it was necessary to update regardless of active status, despite the wrong information I was given when I spoke directly to an IN rep on their call-in number. :duh: Fortunately (or unfortunately :shuffle:), I updated anyway when IN's website tech issues were finally resolved. :drama:

Last edited:

nimi

Is there any indication that the IceTalk episodes might be archived on US figureskating fanzone?
I'd like to know this, too. This far, nothing really has been said about this matter, right? And I presume there has been no further press releases after the initial one that kicked off this thread... But has any IN subscriber here received some email or some unofficial info about what will happen to the IceTalk archives, and/or to the IN article archives, after IN as an entity and web presence ceases to exist? I sure hope those archives will find their way to the USFS fanzone but you never know...

Speaking of article archives, here's a nice trip down the memory lane: Writers look back on favorite icenetwork articles

mollymgr

I'd like to know this, too. This far, nothing really has been said about this matter, right? And I presume there has been no further press releases after the initial one that kicked off this thread... But has any IN subscriber here received some email or some unofficial info about what will happen to the IceTalk archives, and/or to the IN article archives, after IN as an entity and web presence ceases to exist? I sure hope those archives will find their way to the USFS fanzone but you never know...

Speaking of article archives, here's a nice trip down the memory lane: Writers look back on favorite icenetwork articles

Those icenetwork podcasts are also available on iTunes. I'm hoping those will still be available over there even after the website is defunct.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ice-talk/id1143138240?mt=2
I'm not sure what will happen to the articles.

nimi

Those icenetwork podcasts are also available on iTunes. I'm hoping those will still be available over there even after the website is defunct.
Oh yeah right, I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding

And many (most?) of the articles can probably be accessed via waybackmachine if need be, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

ETA: These tweets make it sound like a lot the IN articles will be abandoned and left to link-rot... :(
By the way, every article I wrote for @icentwork since Jan. 2008 is linked on my web site, http://sarahbrannen.com . The links probably won't work as of June 29 so rush over there now! You might be able to find them in the Wayback Machine though. https://archive.org/web/
My understanding is that some content will be moved to http://usfigureskating.org . But I'd guess a lot of it won't be. The podcast will continue to be available, I believe.

Last edited:

Visaliakid

I'm not sure what will happen to the articles.

The following is from the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone section NBC Gold and IceNetwork.

What events are available with the Figure Skating Pass on NBC Sports Gold?
Live coverage of the U.S. Championships (junior and senior), ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series, ISU World Championships, ISU Four Continents Championships, ISU European Championships and the ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships. Live offerings will also include the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships (senior, junior and collegiate levels) and the U.S. Sectional Championships for both figure skating (senior and junior levels) and synchronized skating (senior, junior and collegiate levels). All live events, as well as the U.S. Regional Championships (junior and senior levels), will be available on-demand.

Will competitions be available live and on-demand? All events that will be available via the NBC Sports Gold “Figure Skating Pass” and “Speed Skating Pass” will be available on-demand, with certain events being available both live and on-demand as noted.

Can Figure Skating Pass subscribers access video archives?
The NBC Sports Gold Figure Skating Pass will include access to competitions dating back to September of 2017. In addition to the current season, the Figure Skating Pass will always provide access to the previous season’s content. Selected competition will be available starting July 1st.

What’s going to happen to all of the non-video content that used to be on icenetwork.com?
The editorial content found on icenetwork.com in the past will be dispersed between NBCSports.com and the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone website. Podcasts and non-subscription video content, i.e. Ice Desk, press conferences, backstage interviews, skating exhibitions, etc. will also now be found on the Fan Zone site.

Will video content be available outside of the United States?
For ISU events, including Skate America, NBC Sports Gold Figure Skating Pass subscribers outside of the United States will be blacked out due to media rights restrictions. For all U.S. Figure Skating domestic events, no blackout restrictions will apply.

What devices can I stream from?
NBC Sports Gold may be accessed via several different platforms. A full list can be found here.

Are events like the U.S. Adult Championships still going to be covered?
Yes, the U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships, along with the juvenile, intermediate and novice levels at the U.S. championships and its qualifying competitions, the juvenile, intermediate, novice, adult and masters levels of U.S. Synchronized Skating and qualifying competitions, Theater on Ice and several other competitions and off-ice programming will be available on the revamped U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone (coming early Fall 2019).

Will there still be a USFS member discount like there was with icenetwork?
U.S. Figure Skating members, and current icenetwork subscribers, will be given the opportunity to purchase the Figure Skating Pass on NBC Sports Gold for a reduced price ($10 off regular price) during the service’s launch period. Once the offering window has closed, no additional discounts will be offered.

What does “Direct to Consumer” mean?
NBC Sports Gold is available to anyone that subscribes to the product. It does not require a cable provider to authenticate the subscriber, which means anyone with a high-speed internet connection may access the subscription service.

How much does it cost and when will it be available?
Detailed pricing information will be available soon. The pass will launch on July 1.

Will there be commentary on the stream?
The majority of events will be streamed without commentators, using natural sound from the host arena. Some events, like the senior level of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships will have commentators.

What will happen to video archives prior to the 2017-18 season?
The new NBC Sports Gold subscription service will offer access to the past year of events, for senior and junior level competitions. The new U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone, which will have free access to novice, intermediate and juvenile level competitions, and more, will archive footage for two seasons. For access to individual skater/team performances at specific events beyond these two archives, you may purchase downloadable events at usfigureskatingdigital.com. If the video you are looking for is not available, please email U.S. Figure Skating’s video production department at [email protected].

aftershocks

Banned Member
... you may purchase downloadable [past] events at usfigureskatingdigital.com.

Likely at too steep a price that would make it not worthwhile, especially for events that were fuzzy and jerky, and not up to par re video and audio. Poor quality broadcasts are definitely what I will not miss re IN's demise.

momnatur

OK, today is 29 June around 9:30EDT. IN goes south 30 June (guessing 11:59:59 in some time zone?)

I have not had any contact of any kind from NBC-SN???????

So, the $64,000 question: Has ANYONE heard ANYTHING at all from NBCSports?

clairecloutier

A charge for the new NBCSports package came through automatically on my credit card (without me updating my IN credit card info or anyone contacting me). It's at the discounted price of $49.99.

aftershocks

Banned Member
A charge for the new NBCSports package came through automatically on my credit card (without me updating my IN credit card info or anyone contacting me). It's at the discounted price of $49.99.

Wow, so I didn't have to update then due to the automatic renewal in effect. But to be safe, I updated anyway, cuz with IN and NBC involved in this porting over, who knows?! It could be a random thing that yours went through, or else they are just very good at making sure they lose no opportunity for gathering funds when it comes time to gather. I do hope you wanted to be ported over to NBC gold. ;) I got the notice on my CC the other day too. Now for the July 1 launch on time and spectacular please. :drama:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Does anyone have the instructions handy for how to get signed in on NBC gold since they've taken our money already automatically? :rolleyes::drama: Do we have to create new passwords, etc?

momnatur

Hey you guys, I found the answer ton the aforementioned $64,000 question.

For starters, I already have an account and the Cycling Pass. So I logged in and went to look at my account... that was it and that's all it took. Under subscriptions, I saw both my cycling subscription AND (would you believe] the figure skating pass. Both are set for autorenew but one was using a card and the other was using paypal. So I was able to switch both to PayPal and that was it. I was actually surprised at how easy it was. We can only hope that everything workks as well!

Debbie S

I have a charge on my credit card today, too. I don't have any other sports passes on the NBC site, so I guess we should create one? Or wait for some notification? Presumably, nothing of interest is up now anyway.

shine

I also got the automatic charge. But what if I didn't want to renew this? :confused:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I think you needed to telephone or email IN before the deadline and inform them that you did NOT want autorenewal of your IceNetwork account @shine. Clearly, they decided to utilize the auto-renew for porting to NBC even for accounts that were not specifically updated/ confirmed.

Possibly you can still contact NBC and let them know if you do not want this subscription. You should explain that's why you did not confirm your billing information with IN. But I would do that asap if I were you. For subscribers, the NBC gold figure skating package is supposed to launch on July 1.

Presumably, nothing of interest is up now anyway.

Everything should be 'ported over' by July 1. Whatever that means... :COP::drama: It should mean that we will have access on NBC to all major events (aside from regional and sectional) that were broadcast on IN last season.

Last edited:

shine

^^ I think you needed to telephone or email IN before the deadline and inform them that you did NOT want autorenewal of your IceNetwork account @shine. Clearly, they decided to utilize the auto-renew for porting to NBC even for accounts that were not specifically updated/ confirmed.

Possibly you can still contact NBC and let them know if you do not want this subscription. You should explain that's why you did not confirm your billing information with IN. But I would do that asap if I were you. For subscribers, the NBC gold figure skating package is supposed to launch on July 1.

Everything should be 'ported over' by July 1. Whatever that means... :COP::drama: It should mean that we will have access on NBC to all major events (aside from regional and sectional) that were broadcast on IN last season.
Thanks, aftershocks!

GreatLakesGal

I did nothing to my IceNetwork account and still got charged the 49.99. Per an email I received from US Figure Skating on June 8:

As an existing icenetwork subscriber, you will receive $10 off the new Figure Skating Pass. Between June 29-30, 2018 your account payment method will be charged $49.99.

Keep an eye on your inbox on or around July 1, 2018 for a welcome email from NBC Sports Gold with directions to set up your NBC Sports Gold account.

So I guess I need to just wait now for NBC to email me.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I did nothing to my IceNetwork account and still got charged the 49.99. Per an email I received from US Figure Skating on June 8:

As an existing icenetwork subscriber, you will receive $10 off the new Figure Skating Pass. Between June 29-30, 2018 your account payment method will be charged $49.99.

Keep an eye on your inbox on or around July 1, 2018 for a welcome email from NBC Sports Gold with directions to set up your NBC Sports Gold account.

So I guess I need to just wait now for NBC to email me.
Thank you, I have received no email updates from US Figure Skating or Icenetwork. :(

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I got an email from IceNotwork.

It was telling me that they weren't going to process my renewal for "territory restrictions" reasons.

Seriously. I've been paying them the $50 (a lot more in AUD) for all these years and it's never been a problem before. But now suddenly nope. I'm sitting here with a valid credit card willing to pay you and you don't want to take my money? Well, looks like I'll be scrabbling for streams this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information