This Is Us, season 5

Judy

Jack and Rebecca trekking the country for her big break was at the start of their courtship. Rebecca going back to singing was when the kids were now teens.

Jack was not happy about Rebecca going back on tour. It caused him to go back to drinking. In the season 1 finale, Jack drove to one of the bars they were performing (driving drunk). The singer made advances towards Rebecca, but she handled it. She was going to leave with Jack but when he found out what that singer did, he started assaulting him. Then they had the huge fight at the house. Rebecca said that she wanted one thing for herself. She feels like a ghost in her own life. Jack told Rebecca that she’s ridiculous for pursuing music. He’s hurt that he and the kids aren’t enough for her.
That was more that he was jealous of the singer guy then her singing was my impression.

PeterG

Jack and Rebecca trekking the country for her big break was at the start of their courtship. Rebecca going back to singing was when the kids were now teens.

Jack was not happy about Rebecca going back on tour. It caused him to go back to drinking. In the season 1 finale, Jack drove to one of the bars they were performing (driving drunk). The singer made advances towards Rebecca, but she handled it. She was going to leave with Jack but when he found out what that singer did, he started assaulting him. Then they had the huge fight at the house. Rebecca said that she wanted one thing for herself. She feels like a ghost in her own life. Jack told Rebecca that she’s ridiculous for pursuing music. He’s hurt that he and the kids aren’t enough for her.

I agree with your examples of Jack being unsupportive of Rebecca's singing career. But I feel that if we pull back the layer of Jack being unsupportive of Rebecca, we see a man afraid of his addiction, afraid of the possibility of being left behind and afraid of his family falling apart (failing like his birth family did). It makes me think of somebody who is drowning and will grab at anyone and anything so as to not go under and drown, even if it means pushing a loved one under the water to save yourself. Not a pretty picture in any way, shape of form of course, but Jack was desperate. Desperation makes us do ugly things.

I also think that if Jack had lived that maybe this part of his story with his wife might have been addressed later in life and he could have explained to Rebecca what he was going through. And then apologized. I like to think that Rebecca would have forgiven him.

manhn

I mentioned the storyline not to criticize Jack but only to mention it in light of where I would like to see Beth and Randall’s relationship evolve. We saw a little of that tonight with Mama C. The Ramada Inn line killed me.

I wonder if they would ever consider Mama C and Uncle Nicky having a fling.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I mentioned the storyline not to criticize Jack but only to mention it in light of where I would like to see Beth and Randall’s relationship evolve. We saw a little of that tonight with Mama C. The Ramada Inn line killed me.

I wouldn't wish her on anyone. She was awful to her husband - Beth's dad.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

We know Uncle Nicky is married in the future since he's wearing a ring!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Last night's ep was really good (loved all the awkward moments and family drama....that's what this show does best!) and Deja continues to amaze me with her maturity and honesty. Love her and Randall's relationship and the Instagram thing with them was hysterical. :lol:

I am SO excited to find out what's been going on with Nicky next week! :cheer:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Griffin Dunne needs to win the Best Guest Actor Emmy!!!

All the awards, every single one out there, needs to go that man because that episode was OUTSTANDING tonight (his younger Nicky counterpart was outstanding as well). Nicky in the nursery with the twins was so freaking good that I am still tearing up over it almost an hour later. I will never get over the snow globe incident either. Why does this show make me cry so much over inanimate objects?! :fragile: :wuzrobbed

taf2002

I haven't seen Griffin Dunne in anything since he played Michael Keaton's brother in Johnny Dangerously. I wonder what he's been doing all these years? But I loved his scene with the babies & I was irate at the airport scene with the TSA agent.

Susan1

Thanks. According to this he was in a lot of films after Johnny Dangerously. I went thru the list & I haven't seen any of his later films. That's not saying they aren't good, it's just that after DH became disabled I very rarely went to the movies.
The only thing on that list I ever watched was L. A. Law, and who remembers. He is cute though. And a good actor, of course. ;)

BaileyCatts

Did he simply decide not to go meet Sally and stay at home with his parents, so he never showed at the van? Or did he go and she was gone because the cop told her to move her van? I think I read into that scene incorrectly, so which one was it?

taf2002

Did he simply decide not to go meet Sally and stay at home with his parents, so he never showed at the van? Or did he go and she was gone because the cop told her to move her van? I think I read into that scene incorrectly, so which one was it?
I took it that he stayed home. After all he got his father & himself a beer long after he should have already left home.

taf2002

I loved that Miguel finally defended himself & then both (he & Nicky) of their feelings came out. Also loved Miguel's speech to Rebecca's dad about how great a person Jack is.

manhn

I am hoping we get two more episodes next season! The toddler Kevin and Randall are adorable. The college aged Kevin and Randall have perfected the mannerisms.

taf2002

I didn't think the toddlers looked like they were the same age. Kevin looked at least a year younger. But they were adorable.

I had to laugh at Beth's "sweet sweet cereal milk".

The conversation between the brothers was uncomfortable but at last some things came out that needed to be said. I liked that Kevin finally admitted that he resented Randall growing up. And that he dropped "if" from his apologies. And I loved the new version of Randall's ghost kingdom at the end.

Sylvia

TBD
And I loved the new version of Randall's ghost kingdom at the end.
I was excited when I saw Jennifer C. Holmes' name in the opening credits (photo from the set): https://www.instagram.com/p/CNoPsCihjSI/

I didn't think the toddlers looked like they were the same age. Kevin looked at least a year younger. But they were adorable.
From the young Kevin actor's Instagram account - the 2 child actors together on set: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNpwc0eJVpF/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information